Heroes of the Storm

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #50 (isolation #0) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:48 pm

Post by Brandi »

This is actually a pretty fun game
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #56 (isolation #1) » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:22 pm

Post by Brandi »

Yeah you need a key, BV offered some on this page maybe you can PM him since he's probably not checking the thread himself cause he's not playing. If he ran out, I've had a few friends buy some keys off of eBay for 65 cents that worked.
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #72 (isolation #2) » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:15 am

Post by Brandi »

Brandi#1590
if anyone wants to add me~
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #77 (isolation #3) » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:21 pm

Post by Brandi »

I think that the fact that you can level up free week heroes, get the gold for them, and their levels save for when you finally buy them is nice
I mean this system is definitely not Dota where all heroes are all free always but it's still a step up from LoL
Also the fact that there is no specific in game currency for buying things with money. So you don't have to worry about "oh no I have 400 RP sitting on my account and the champion I want is 475 guess I better spend FIVE MORE DOLLARS"
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #79 (isolation #4) » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:52 am

Post by Brandi »

Nah it's actually the opposite. IME, the game has the highest potential for comebacks compared to any other moba. It's extremely team work oriented. No one person gets all of the "power" with the rest of your team starving.
If a team does completely dominate another one team consistently it is because they are just more organized and the other doesn't know what they are doing.The problem with the game is actually the matchmaking, because it's beta and new people are coming in from time to time. You can get matched with sporadic levels of competence.
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #81 (isolation #5) » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:17 am

Post by Brandi »

Well I am no expert that's for sure but here's some potentially helpful links

https://www.hotslogs.com/Default

And here is a list of tier lists, the credibility of which I am uncertain. I guess it depends on which streamers and pro teams you trust the most~
http://www.liquidneo.com/tierbuilds.html
http://heroesofthestorm.github.io/zuna-tierlist
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #83 (isolation #6) » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:07 am

Post by Brandi »

You haven't had that many experiences yet and you are still in a low level. It's really hard to make a judgement like that when the experience levels of the players in your games are so very far apart.

Sonya and Lili are two of the absolute WORST heroes in the game.
(Note: by worst I don't mean they are bad. They have their place! There are just much better picks)
When I started playing they seemed strong ridiculously strong to me too. Lili is the least versatile support and Sonya has the second to last winrate in the game of about 45%.

Lili is easily shut down with hard CC and the knowledge to kill her healing ward. (Which takes 1 auto attack)

If she takes her 1000 jugs ult and you cc her as it starts, it will be quickly over and you can instantly win a fight against her like that.
If she takes the dragon ult, which is very uncommon, she has less healing potential. It's not a bad pick for her if she has other healers on her team or if her team lacks CC, but she will actually be harder to kill with that ult as she can use it as a means of escape.
The thing that makes Lili seem "OP" and "unkillable" Is possibly her level 20 skill, kung fu hustle. Which rapidly decreases the cooldowns of all of her skills as she takes damage. With this, she could be ulting every 10~ seconds in extended fights where she takes massive damage and be healing on almost no cooldown.
Lili's who go the serpent build are either experimenting or want to be damage dealers and don't care about their team. They are generally the easiest to kill and will run out of mana fast and cannot really save their team mates.
Lili is also one of the EASIEST and NOOB FRIENDLY heroes in the game. Anyone with low skill can pick her up and do well with her. She's like Sona in LoL in that she just presses buttons and things happen.

Anyway I can 100% say that
I have seen more games that were a 180 comeback than I have games that were a complete stomp.
My acc is level 40 with over 100 games played which isn't a large sample size. But things were MUCH different within the first 20 levels of play when I had almost no clue what was going on.

The highest level gap I have ever seen is 6 levels and that was due to a 4v5. But I've come back from as high as a 4 level gap.
Once the enemy team reaches level 20 there is less and less potential for them to snowball, because each level you gain closes the gap while each level they gain doesn't give them much of an edge at all. Also the higher level they are, the more it takes for them to level. And i you kill even two strong members on their team while you're behind, you will gain a lot of experience. If you are level 20 and they are level 22 the difference really isn't that big. The potential for catch up in this game is MASSIVE. Sure anyone can get ahead, but if you play your cards right you CAN easily get into a reasonable position.

I won a game where our Core was at literally 1% with no other structures and we held it at that for 10 minutes, while they still had outer turrets and a full core. We just stopped being dumb and stopped doing the things that got us so run over in the first place (being separated, taking camps at the wrong time, going for the objective when it wasn't important.... }

Over time you'll probably learn which times the objectives are more mandatory than others. There are times where it's okay to forgo an objective and just push down the enemy core. Like the MINES. If all they have is an open core and the mines open... fuck going in and collecting that shit. Just go as 5 and push down their core. There was a game I won not too long ago where THEY had gotten a bigger golem every single time, and at the 18 minute mark the entire enemy team went into the mines, and our team just pushed down their core. It was a game we were going to lose because we could never win fights due to having a weak team comp but were actually good at pushing. (Had an Azmodan + AA Valla)

My point is that while it may feel like you are dealing with intense uncontrollable snowballing, you are not. You are dealing with teams that just know to play more than your do. How can you expect to come back from something when your teams general knowledge of the game doesn't give them that ability? If you go and play any game vs someone who knows it better than you you generally don't expect anything more than a fluke to help you win.

The number one complaint I read about from people who come into this game from LoL is actually the LACK of snowball potential.
"How can I be #1 on my team if everyone is so equal"
Everyone wants to be the star, wants to hold all the gold for themselves, enjoy the Penta for themselves. But in HOTS that's not a common reality.

Early kills in this game for example, will not secure your fate at all. You'll get a slight exp lead- but your game wont be determined by "first blood"
Getting the first objective will also not secure your fate.
Consistent teamwork and knowledge of how the game works will.

And I'm not saying the game isn't flawed at all because it is. Illidin is the most broken hero and still hasn't been fixed. I hate him with a burning passion but I play champs that can counter him. (Brightwing)

There are still plenty of things in LoL I prefer over this game too. But this wall of text is just mostly a reflection of how I felt when I started OUT compared to how I feel now and it is massively different. Also no one has been really discussing much about the game more than talking about getting into it.

Also sorry if my tone sounds like I'm being condescending or something, I don't mean to be like "lol you just don't know better" more like "I felt exactly like this and my thoughts changed and here's my experiences that helped it" ;-; I'm just actually very excited and into talking about the game and my experiences. I wanna play with you guys soon when I get time. I added like everybody.
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #106 (isolation #7) » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:27 pm

Post by Brandi »

pretty much!
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #119 (isolation #8) » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:19 am

Post by Brandi »

I wish I could play but I don't wanna be the jerk who disconnects in the middle of the game because they are having computer problems. :/
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #125 (isolation #9) » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:40 am

Post by Brandi »

Only took me a couple of days to get to max level in HOTS, where as with League it took months...
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #127 (isolation #10) » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:43 pm

Post by Brandi »

Hmm thinking about it was a while back (like half a year ago ) and there were some exp events going on, and I always played with others which added bonus EXP
Maybe it was more like a week and not a couple days. I just remember getting max very quickly and thinking that it was very fast. It was easy to play a dozen games in not a very long amount of time. I think I had around 150 games played when I hit max.
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #128 (isolation #11) » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:49 pm

Post by Brandi »

Yeah it seems like exp rates +friend bonuses really help a lot. I have a few friends that are <20 with over 100 games played and 70%+ win rates, and then some friends that are over level 25 with 50% winrates and <60 games played.

Return to “The Arcade”