pardox games

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #7 (isolation #0) » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:36 pm

Post by mykonian »

checked what my time in it was, but CD: 270 hours is ~2 campaigns.

I'm currently having two issues with the game. One, the campaign I had became a grind. Politically on the mainland I was locked in a bigger structure that I had trouble breaking out of (but which benefitted me as it made sure I never had to face the French alone). On the water otoh everything worked. The first is fair, but it meant in the near future there weren't any concrete things to do than colonising more and capturing more overseas.

The second is that I followed a timeline I was rather familiar with, first internal Dutch politics and the formation of it, later external and the bashing of heads with the big nations. Which was great, so many things and mechanisms were about right, politically, in trade. But that means that starting a new campaign (which would have to be some other nation) is bound to be less fun, as I won't be surprised by things happening as I knew them in real life. This annoys me. So currently I'm reading up on general history and maybe maybe I'll play the game again.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #13 (isolation #1) » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:00 am

Post by mykonian »

I enjoyed being Frysland. You start in a backwater, you only have one big player around that otoh isn't really interested in you, so your main enemies are the other small nations close by who have the same idea. Then there's the hinterland of eastern Frisia which you can influence a little but don't really have the ability to dominate yet.

I mean, that's how it should be!

Also, level of detail: the ships had actually proper Frisian names. Some only the cities, but correctly spelled. Seriously amazing. I wonder what other cool stuff they put into the game.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #25 (isolation #2) » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:43 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 18, CooLDoG wrote:in the new patch France is pretty weak now.

granted I had some help, but it seems like that if they lose one war then they are pretty much done for the rest of the game because everyone else will just start to attack them endlessly.

GOD. BLESS.

My diplomatic freedom in the game I quit got totally robbed because I needed Austria to put France down with me (and we were probably the most significant land powers in that game in that time).

And they kept coming back. More and more armies. 1 frenchman was worth 3.5 dutch as well. You won a war (well, austria did. I was the distraction). You knew in 10 years you'd do it all over again.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #51 (isolation #3) » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:04 am

Post by mykonian »

http://t-a-w.blogspot.nl/2015/05/the-on ... nking.html

Ok, this guy sounds convincing, some but not all of his opinions are shared, I've read it a couple of times now and I believe his tier list is probably about right. Doesn't mean that I actually understand it, to the point that in the last campaign I think I picked every or all but one of the idea groups in his bottom half. Anyway, assuming that that list is correct, how can I understand the value of for example humanist ideas (which is I think universally regarded as pretty good) or why quality and maritime are not very desirable? The value I assign to bonusses given must be rather wrong. Would any of you more experienced players be able to help?
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #60 (isolation #4) » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:09 am

Post by mykonian »

yeah, I know, CD. There are many tier lists for idea groups as there are players. I don't really care about the particulars. I just need to figure out the general thoughts behind valuing ideas.

Return to “The Arcade”