The Mass Effect thread

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
esuriospiritus
esuriospiritus
they/ask
I Reject Your Corporeality...
esuriospiritus
they/ask
Pronoun: they/ask

Post Post #3250 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:01 pm

Post by esuriospiritus »

*necros*

soooo I just finished my replay of the series that I'd been working on here and there for most of the year. It was my first time playing with Citadel, Omega, and Leviathan DLCs. I ... confess to skipping ME1 this time -- I gave it a go and just couldn't do it. I wanted to be a completionist and do all the sidequest-y stuff but it's
just so tedious
and I couldn't bring myself to waste all that time when I'd done it all before once or twice already. I played on PC and used a save file editor to get the permutations from ME1 that I wanted, instead.

The ME3 dlcs definitely add to the game. Omega and Citadel were both pretty good... Leviathan was meh but
arguably necessary to help explain the ending
. But I don't know if I'll replay it again. Only thing I can see bringing me back anytime soon is doing an Asshole Shepard run, where I do everything possible to be the dickliest dick to everyone in the entire universe. And probably die horribly in the process
ME2 end:
completely fucking up the suicide mission
or
ME3 end:
picking Destroy because murdering EDI (especially after shipping her + Joker) and the geth (especially if saving them earlier!) is like, the
ultimate
dick move

I actually find that kind of playthrough interesting to think about. Do you do the most asshole thing you can immediately do, every time you're given a choice? Or are you occasionally nice to people just so you can fuck them over harder later? Whose deaths do you orchestrate and when to fuckify the galaxy to the max? How many people's hearts can I break by stringing them along and then saying "no thanks" at the last possible moment? THE POSSIBILITIES ARE
almost
ENDLESS

I also need to play something that isn't Adept for once. Because jesus christ I love playing adept, and there's nothing better than being an adept in 3 and staying in the far back, sniping things and shooting warps and singularities everywhere, but I've done it for hundreds and hundreds of hours now. I need to play a vanguard or something.
First you get your wings back. Then you learn to fly.

Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3251 (ISO) » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:21 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

The most asshole thing you can do in Mass Effect 3:
Let Samara kill herself to avoid shooting her daughter. Then kill her daughter afterwards anyway. Killing the Quarians to save the Geth and then picking Destroy is a good second, though.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
mikeburnfire
mikeburnfire
Flashy
mikeburnfire
Flashy
Flashy

Post Post #3252 (ISO) » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:22 pm

Post by mikeburnfire »

If you romance Miranda in ME2, then break up with her in ME3,
the mental trauma is so much that she always gets killed
. So that's a tempting option.
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill with rope and a slim majority."

Flash Guide to Mafia and Flash Mafia Roles
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3253 (ISO) » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:23 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Or, on Tuchanka,
you can shoot Mordin in the back and watch him die while attempting to crawl to the Genophage cure console.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
esuriospiritus
esuriospiritus
they/ask
esuriospiritus
they/ask

Post Post #3254 (ISO) » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:23 pm

Post by esuriospiritus »

I don't know if I have it in me to do that last one. I've watched video of it before, though.

Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3255 (ISO) » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:05 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

If it helps, they're just pixels. Tormenting them is no different in Mass Effect than in the Sims.
jasonT1981
jasonT1981
Jack of All Trades
jasonT1981
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3256 (ISO) » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:02 am

Post by jasonT1981 »

I sold my Xbox about a year ago, and really missed the Mass Effect games. Bought the trilogy box set on PS3 and it arrived today :D
mikeburnfire
mikeburnfire
Flashy
mikeburnfire
Flashy
Flashy

Post Post #3257 (ISO) » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:13 am

Post by mikeburnfire »

In post 3253, Sudo_Nym wrote:Or, on Tuchanka,
you can shoot Mordin in the back and watch him die while attempting to crawl to the Genophage cure console.

But then you don't get the option to kill Padok Wiks. And that's a shame.
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill with rope and a slim majority."

Flash Guide to Mafia and Flash Mafia Roles
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3258 (ISO) » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:22 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Padok sucks, though. Leave him out of it entirely.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3259 (ISO) » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:27 am

Post by Iecerint »

I still need to do a "Mordin lives" playthrough. I've never seen his goodbye hologram on Earth.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3260 (ISO) » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:47 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I think you get the hologram in Citadel if Mordin was alive when you imported; he doesn't have to
survive Tuchanka
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3261 (ISO) » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:17 am

Post by Iecerint »

Ah, I've never played the ME3 DLC.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3262 (ISO) » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:32 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Oh. We don't actually remember if Mordin has a goodbye hologram, but it's been a while since I did the Mordin Lives ending for Tuchanka.
esuriospiritus
esuriospiritus
they/ask
esuriospiritus
they/ask

Post Post #3263 (ISO) » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:47 am

Post by esuriospiritus »

It's not a hologram in Citadel. It is audio, however.

Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3264 (ISO) » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:11 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Yeah, we got them confused. We get the recording from Mordin every time, since Mordin is awesome and we never kill him, but we don't remember getting a hologram on Earth.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3265 (ISO) » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:16 am

Post by Iecerint »

You get a hologram of any living party member. Mordin
can only survive Tuchanka if Wrex and Eve are dead
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3266 (ISO) » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:20 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Right, but we never liked doing that, since you get fewer points than that and we want the best ending without playing multiplayer. So we always
save Eve, and kill Wrex and Mordin in 1/2 so we can shoot Padok. We don't have any save where both Wrex and Eve are dead.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3267 (ISO) » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:26 am

Post by Iecerint »

But Mordin is awesome. :(

Surely you can get the best ending without MP if you use the DLC?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3268 (ISO) » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:29 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Definitely, I think with the DLC and the patches reducing the threshold, there's plenty. But we're a bit obsessive over things when numbers get involved.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3269 (ISO) » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:31 am

Post by Iecerint »

My favorite playthrough of Suikoden II was a "minimal recruitment" playthrough. It made some of the story battles a bit challenging. ^_^
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3270 (ISO) » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:33 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

And our favorite FF game was a No Sphere Grid run of FFX. But at least there the numbers were easier to overlook so that part of my brain didn't activate :p
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3271 (ISO) » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:37 am

Post by Iecerint »

I thought about trying that once, but it seems like you have to farm Yuna's aeon's a lot. Seems tedious.

No-XP FF8 and FF9 playthroughs were super fun, though. In FF9 it doubles as a "number maximizer" playthrough because at endgame you can collect all the "+stat on level up" items and becomes gods.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3272 (ISO) » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:43 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

We didn't think it was that tedious; it was actually less tedious because there's less trouble running away from random encounters or trying to fit every character into a battle for XP, so you can run through faster. You do have to rely both on Yuna's Aeons and Rikku's overdrive, though. Took quite a while to get through the Jecht fight because it was super hard to get 9 spins on Lulu's overdrive for the kill. Kinda wish that we had a PS4 so we could play the rerelease and do the Penance/Dark Aeon fights, though.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3273 (ISO) » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:12 pm

Post by Iecerint »

You could do it on the PS3. The PS4 version isn't out until later this year, anyway.

I did a little bit of a No Sphere Grid game, but I died like 5 times on the boss fight with just Tidus and Wakka underwater somewhat early on and decided it wasn't worth it.

Don't you have to kill like 9999 enemies with each Aeon or something?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3274 (ISO) » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:26 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

We don't have a PS3, either. We haven't bought a console since the PS2.

We also never killed 9999 enemies with each Aeon; just get each Aeon with an overdrive and Yuna with a Grand Summon before a boss fight. Then summon each Aeon in turn, use their overdrive, then let them die. The boss can't hurt the party while the Aeon is out (though Seymour can one-shot any Aeon in his fights). It's basically free damage.

Against tougher bosses, you instead lead with Rikku and two of Tidus/Wakka/Lulu; get their overdrives up before the fight, get them equipment with first strike so they can go before the boss. Rikku uses her Trio of 9999 mix first so that the other two will do 9999 on every hit. Then Lulu's Fury, Wakka's Attack Reels, and Tidus's Blitz Ace each hit 8+ times each for 9999 per hit. That, followed by Yuna chaining Aeon overdrives, is usually unstoppable. If even that doesn't work, you can have Kimahri use his Self Destruct, or Rikku use one of the elemental gems that hits 5+ times while she's still under the effects of her overdrive, though that's unlikely, since she's only got 360 HP in a NSG game and the effect wears off if she gets KOed.

Return to “The Arcade”