League of Legends (Old)

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
ZOR TESTER
ZOR TESTER
Definitely Not
Ur-Quan

ZOR TESTER
Definitely Not
Ur-Quan

Definitely Not
Ur-Quan

League of Legends (Old)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:46 pm

Post by ZOR TESTER »

Last edited by StrungOver on Sat May 21, 2016 6:40 am, edited 11 times in total.
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:47 pm

Post by ortolan »

stop feeding
Currently modding Mole Mafia: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20529

Feel free to PM me to be ready in case I need a replacement.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:48 pm

Post by bv310 »

What he said.

Also, LoL here. Just discovered I'm awesome at playing tanks like Galio.
Nuwen
Nuwen
Mafia Scum
Nuwen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:51 pm

Post by Nuwen »

moo
So high, so low, so many things to know.
aim:gochat?roomname=ScumChat&Exchange=5
mb53
mb53
Mafia Scum
mb53
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:51 pm

Post by mb53 »

I play wc3 a lot, but hate DotA. Actually, no. I hate people who play DotA.

I played LoL for about a month or 2, then stopped because I lagged to the point of not being able to play.
i literally need to start a driving blog, please remind me
StrungOver
StrungOver
Goon
StrungOver
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:53 pm

Post by StrungOver »

That sounds like a personal problem to me.
subgenius
subgenius
Goon
subgenius
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:11 pm

Post by subgenius »

I toyed around with LoL for awhile and enjoyed it, but I hate the communities around DotA games so much. LoL isn't quite as bad as DotA on WC3 used to be, but I've never understood why people's first response to someone on their team dying a few too many times is, "YOU SUCK, YOU MOTHER [insert explicit sexual act]ING [insert racial slur] [insert gay slur]." Why not be a decent human being and offer some suggestions so they can actually improve? I understand. It's frustrating to play with a feeder, but that's no excuse to be a horrendous bigoted jerk to another person.

I reserve my venom for leavers, those mother-loving-whore-sons.

EDIT: My favorite hero was Kayle. I didn't get a ton of kills with her, but I did save a lot of team mates with her ultimate and helped chase down a lot of enemies with her heal/speed boost and slowing attack.
Last edited by subgenius on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:14 pm

Post by bv310 »

Most online games are like that. LoL just seems to be worse, since one bad player WILL cost you a game.

But yeah, leavers should go stick a fork in an electrical outlet.
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:17 pm

Post by Untrod Tripod »

subgenius wrote:I toyed around with LoL for awhile and enjoyed it, but I hate the communities around DotA games so much. LoL isn't quite as bad as DotA on WC3 used to be, but I've never understood why people's first response to someone on their team dying a few too many times is, "YOU SUCK, YOU MOTHER [insert explicit sexual act]ING [insert racial slur] [insert gay slur]." Why not be a decent human being and offer some suggestions so they can actually improve? I understand. It's frustrating to play with a feeder, but that's no excuse to be a horrendous bigoted jerk to another person.
subgenius
subgenius
Goon
subgenius
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:22 pm

Post by subgenius »

Yeah, I get that, but it's an ugly way to treat people who are just trying to play a game and would probably do their best to follow advice if it were given. Obviously, racist name calling is pretty common on the internet, but DotA variants are the only games I've seen where a single person is often targeted for an entire 40 minute game. That's not the reason I stopped playing, but it always bothered me, and no, I was usually not the one being called names. Although, that is one of the reasons I usually picked support characters. I didn't like the pressure of picking a carry character.

And Tripod, I've been playing online games of all sorts since the days of BBS's. DotA games are way worse than anything else I've played.
mb53
mb53
Mafia Scum
mb53
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:46 pm

Post by mb53 »

Exactly. I tried playing DotA like, 3 times, and every time, people freaked out for me not knowing every single aspect of the game.
i literally need to start a driving blog, please remind me
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:58 pm

Post by Untrod Tripod »

subgenius wrote:Yeah, I get that, but it's an ugly way to treat people who are just trying to play a game and would probably do their best to follow advice if it were given. Obviously, racist name calling is pretty common on the internet, but DotA variants are the only games I've seen where a single person is often targeted for an entire 40 minute game. That's not the reason I stopped playing, but it always bothered me, and no, I was usually not the one being called names. Although, that is one of the reasons I usually picked support characters. I didn't like the pressure of picking a carry character.

And Tripod, I've been playing online games of all sorts since the days of BBS's. DotA games are way worse than anything else I've played.
I've been playing online games since Quake, and while I agree that Dota players are their own special breed of asshole, I have encountered similar heckling in team RTS play. I think the problem is that Dota combines the MMORPG crowd with the hardcore RTS crowd. Scary. I kind of get the frustration that a bad player on your team can throw a 45 minute game for you, but... they take it to a weird level..
Last edited by Untrod Tripod on Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:07 pm

Post by Oman »

Monday Night Combat.
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
BrutalAztecs
BrutalAztecs
Ninja
BrutalAztecs
Ninja
Ninja

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:15 pm

Post by BrutalAztecs »

The issue is one bad player not only loses you the game - it also makes it impossible for you to do anything cool individually for the most part. At least in a shooter if I have shitty team-mates I can still do my own thing and put them on my back.

It all boils down to the fact that these sorts of games can do a lot better job at skill-matching and grouping people playing to win vs playing to learn. And if you aren't doing one of those two things, you're in the wrong genre of game.

I am one of those people who will give suggestions to shitty players when they are on my team and sometimes even white knight for them if an idiot is harassing. But generally I get met with anger/animosity at the notion that anything they are doing wrong is a poor play. People don't want to be helped because they are exposed to this "blame someone else" approach in so many rooms that they automatically do it when they play bad. "It's not my fault I was the first 3 deaths of the game - it was my lanemate for not backing me up!"

It makes playing LoL absurdly frustrating to a point where I only played with people I know and even some of them were dicks when approached with advice.

((Level 30, around 200-250 wins here, played as just about anyone with most games as Rammus and Mordekaiser))
subgenius
subgenius
Goon
subgenius
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:17 pm

Post by subgenius »

@Tripod: Yeah, I've definitely seen it a lot in RTS's too. I never saw it too much in MMORPGs until WoW, and I blame that on the WC/SC crowd. RTS's and DotA create this awful dynamic where people feel like each of their wins is due to their own individual awesomeness carrying the team to victory while each of their losses is blamed on the team being filled with idiots. I understand it, and I feel the same way sometimes, but people need to get grip.
BrutalAztecs
BrutalAztecs
Ninja
BrutalAztecs
Ninja
Ninja

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:19 pm

Post by BrutalAztecs »

The issue is more a gameplay issue than a community issue. Any time one person can ruin a session there is going to be anger and finger pointing. This applies to team RTS's, high level MMO play, and DotA type games moreso than any other.
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:28 pm

Post by Untrod Tripod »

BrutalAztecs wrote:I am one of those people who will give suggestions to shitty players when they are on my team and sometimes even white knight for them if an idiot is harassing. But generally I get met with anger/animosity at the notion that anything they are doing wrong is a poor play. People don't want to be helped because they are exposed to this "blame someone else" approach in so many rooms that they automatically do it when they play bad. "It's not my fault I was the first 3 deaths of the game - it was my lanemate for not backing me up!"
You're a gentleman among swine, sir.
subgenius wrote:I understand it, and I feel the same way sometimes, but people need to get grip.
This. 1000 times this.
BrutalAztecs wrote:The issue is more a gameplay issue than a community issue. Any time one person can ruin a session there is going to be anger and finger pointing. This applies to team RTS's, high level MMO play, and DotA type games moreso than any other.
I can totally see that with playing at a high level, where wins and losses actually matter. I can sympathize with getting upset about your win/loss record being tarnished by a bad player. However in the casual DotA environment, it's a community issue when a large part of the veteran player base acts like assholes about new/bad players. No one is playing for keeps in casual DotA. People in casual who feel like their teammates are (removed) and then rage about it for 40 minutes are representative of a problem with the community, not the game. If you have no tolerance for people who aren't as good as you or maybe just aren't good at the game in general (for whatever reason), you shouldn't be playing casual DotA. Sorry. Some of us are here to have fun, not to listen to people spew vitriol and hear bullshit excuses about why they keep feeding.

EDIT

This discussion has inspired me to try DotA again to see how dickish the players are now. cross your fingers. I'll transcript the flaming.
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:37 pm

Post by Untrod Tripod »

So far, I've been told in a lobby to "gtfo off our team, you fat bitch"

not sure what that was about. this should be fruitful
Nuwen
Nuwen
Mafia Scum
Nuwen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:40 pm

Post by Nuwen »

The dumb, idiotic things I see in DoTA never cease to amaze me. It's like certain people switch their brains off because the word "game" is involved.

But generally people who take the time to type out crap in chat are hurting themselves by missing last hits or looking away from the minimap. Just /ignore and reserve chat for hero ss, gank reqs, and other game relevant information.

If you're having trouble at LoL or HoN:
1. Stay alive. */0/* is the best possible score you can have. Your KBs and assists are an important source of income, but feeding income to gain it = net loss for your team.
  • Map awareness: staying alive means knowing when you're safe and when you're not. Your eyes should spend like 80% play time on the minimap, watching both allied and enemy hero movement. Buy wards. Place wards in grass and halfmap intersections (river in LoL).

2. The only person you can rely on in a PuG is yourself.
That's it. Research your hero and get familiar with specific matchups that might deviate from your normal skill rotation. Use a good build. Know when you will lose a fight. Move along line of sight angles. Own shit and feel good about yourself and get married and have a successful life not sucking at RTS.
Last edited by Nuwen on Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nuwen
Nuwen
Mafia Scum
Nuwen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:48 pm

Post by Nuwen »

Untrod Tripod wrote:However in the casual DotA environment, it's a community issue when a large part of the veteran player base acts like assholes about new/bad players. No one is playing for keeps in casual DotA.
But people are investing 30-60 minutes in a game that can be severely ruined by a single person. LoL is now banning leavers, which forces players to waste time in clearly unsuccessful games with minimal chance of positive return. My personal favorites are 2x feeders who rack up 10 deaths in 25 minutes but decline /surrenders because "if we just work together we can do this guys."

Since we are looking at this from a casual perspective, let's assume the average player will only have time for two or three games per session. You've effectively ruined half or a third of four other casual players' nights.

RTS games are all about understanding economic mechanics. If you understood those mechanics, you would be very, very eager to learn how to stop shooting yourself and your team in the foot. Help and advice are nice, but no one can learn/play a game for you. Use every resource at your disposal.
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:05 pm

Post by Untrod Tripod »

Nuwen wrote:
Untrod Tripod wrote:However in the casual DotA environment, it's a community issue when a large part of the veteran player base acts like assholes about new/bad players. No one is playing for keeps in casual DotA.
But people are investing 30-60 minutes in a game that can be severely ruined by a single person. LoL is now banning leavers, which forces players to waste time in clearly unsuccessful games with minimal chance of positive return. My personal favorites are 2x feeders who rack up 10 deaths in 25 minutes but decline /surrenders because "if we just work together we can do this guys."

Since we are looking at this from a casual perspective, let's assume the average player will only have time for two or three games per session. You've effectively ruined half or a third of four other casual players' nights.

RTS games are all about understanding economic mechanics. If you understood those mechanics, you would be very, very eager to learn how to stop shooting yourself and your team in the foot. Help and advice are nice, but no one can learn/play a game for you. Use every resource at your disposal.
I totally get this and agree with you there. The frustration level being higher in an RTS makes sense. However...it's one thing to be upset, and it's another thing to rage for 20 minutes straight. Banning leavers, as per your example, clearly is not the answer. There probably isn't a good answer, but I'm positive that raging at bad players is nowhere close to optimal.
Nuwen
Nuwen
Mafia Scum
Nuwen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:20 pm

Post by Nuwen »

Banning leavers is a fantastic solution. A 4v5 is an impossible game against any team that isn't drooling into cups. The side effect is that frustrated players can no longer ragequit without risking their accounts, some of which have hundreds of hours /played time and even cash items. The collateral cost of your delicate eyes is a much better price than scores of unwinnable games. A nerd raging player is still a warm body in a lane, which is far superior to an empty player slot.

/ignore

Use it.
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:01 am

Post by ortolan »

subgenius wrote:I toyed around with LoL for awhile and enjoyed it, but I hate the communities around DotA games so much. LoL isn't quite as bad as DotA on WC3 used to be, but I've never understood why people's first response to someone on their team dying a few too many times is, "YOU SUCK, YOU MOTHER [insert explicit sexual act]ING [insert racial slur] [insert gay slur]." Why not be a decent human being and offer some suggestions so they can actually improve? I understand. It's frustrating to play with a feeder, but that's no excuse to be a horrendous bigoted jerk to another person.

I reserve my venom for leavers, those mother-loving-whore-sons.

EDIT: My favorite hero was Kayle. I didn't get a ton of kills with her, but I did save a lot of team mates with her ultimate and helped chase down a lot of enemies with her heal/speed boost and slowing attack.
Um I'm pretty sure the whole point of most online games is just abusing people incredibly hard
subgenius wrote:but DotA variants are the only games I've seen where a single person is often targeted for an entire 40 minute game.
um, LOL? I doubt you've played many mainstream internet games then.
Currently modding Mole Mafia: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20529

Feel free to PM me to be ready in case I need a replacement.
subgenius
subgenius
Goon
subgenius
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:39 am

Post by subgenius »

ortolan wrote: Um I'm pretty sure the whole point of most online games is just abusing people incredibly hard
I'm not sure whether or not you're joking, but obviously some people actually think this. I don't understand people who derive their enjoyment from shitting on other people's good time, and I don't particularly want to.
ortolan wrote: um, LOL? I doubt you've played many mainstream internet games then.
I've played plenty of mainstream internet games, but now that I've thought about it a little bit more, the only other game that I can come up with where I've seen people get as routinely belligerent as DotA and team RTS's is, strangely, Hearts on Yahoo games. Christ, those people would get mad if they felt like you weren't playing correctly. Admittedly, there are FPS servers that might approach the same level of ugliness as a DotA game, but it's pretty easy to find servers where it doesn't happen or isn't tolerated. MMOs can sometimes get ugly, but it's a lot rarer and usually doesn't last as long since either the aggressor or newb gets tired of the situation and leaves.

I get the feeling you're either the type that seeks out servers that have a culture of abusiveness or you have a talent for abusing others until they begin to retaliate and assume this is their normal behavior. Believe it or not, most people play games for fun or to win, and not out of a desire to diminish other people.
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:48 am

Post by Katsuki »

mb53 wrote:I play wc3 a lot, but hate DotA. Actually, no. I hate people who play DotA.

I played LoL for about a month or 2, then stopped because I lagged to the point of not being able to play.
Oh hey a ladder player! :D

Retired ladder player here (best was 18th overall RT on West server). Don't play dota, but I play a varient custom game called Naruto vs Bleach.
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
"READING KATSUKI IS LIKE SOME SORT OF POSTMODERN ARTFORM"
- GreyICE
Katsuki is by far more absurdly beautiful than Fate. (hai parama)
Katsuki's Madness coming to you shortly: Nov, 2011!

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a