The MafiaScum Minecraft Thread - AllTheMods 9!!! - NEW Vanilla?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

New Vanilla Server?

Yes, on latest stable version; with fun events & mini-games!
33%
Yes, on latest stable version; for consistency & community! (no plugins)
33%
Yes, on "snapshots"/development versions; bleeding edge! (definitely no plugins)
No votes
Yes, with Spigot/Bukkit/server "plugins" (or commands like /tpa, /home, etc.)
33%
Yes, but I'll post with my specific thoughts and ideas!
No votes

Total votes: 9

Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #19625 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:04 am

Post by Psyche »

So, me and my bf live in different places places (different states until like mid july or so) and are looking to start playing minecraft together. We both have iPhones; I have Windows 10 and he has a Mac. He also has a Switch, if that helps, but it seems that its cross-platform capabilities aren't quite there yet? I have some questions before we start spending money:

1. The description for the MACOS version of Minecraft on its page is "The classic! Often referred to as Minecraft: Java Edition, this supports cross-platform play between macOS, Linux and Windows. This edition supports user-created skins and comes with a FREE CODE for Windows 10 Edition, too!". Does this mean that if I buy the MACOS version for my BF, I'll already have the Windows 10 version for myself, too? If our goal is to get two full versions that we can straightforwardly play together on at the lowest price possible, what's the best way to do this?

2. I notice that Minecraft: Pocket Edition only has cross-platform play with Windows 10, not the MacOS my bf has. What are the implications of this for our play together suppose we get both pocket edition and the main version? Will he be limited relative to me? How? Or will it help us, allowing him to play with me using his phone even when I'm using my Windows thing? Or is all that moot since we're so many states away?

3. What is Minecraft all about? I think I've looked this up enough to understand now, but I understand there to be Creative, Survival, Adventure and Hardcore Survival modes, which you can play by yourself or with other people. I wanted to be able to build a world with my bf and explore other ones with him; he's sort of averted to challenging/competitive stuff which is why I thought minecraft might be a cool way for us to hang out.

4. Is it easy to start and maintain a server? Will it be satisfying with just two people? Will it be easy to branch out and visit other servers / meet new people?

5. Is it, uh, complicated? Like, for example, with lots of exceptions, my bf doesn't really enjoy shooters or fighting or even puzzles and stuff because of the quick thinking required. Can Minecraft be fun for someone who wants to just take his time or only have to make relatively simple decisions? A lot of play games for the adrenaline or challenge - he's not quite like that.

6. Anything else I might want to know?

Would be grateful for your feedback.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #19626 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:19 am

Post by Klazam »

I'll answer in depth when I get home later tonight
Oso
Oso
Goon
Oso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19627 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:39 pm

Post by Oso »

@ Psyche: I'll leave the technical stuff to others as I am only familiar with the Windows PC version of the game.

3:Minecraft, at its most basic, is a sandbox building game. It is open-ended. There are no 'win' conditions (other than the ones you set for yourself). You mentioned the different modes.

--Creative: Like it says on the tin. You generate a world, you immediately have access to all blocks and items and you can just create/build/test (or destroy) to your hearts content. You can't be hurt by anything but falling out of the world.

--Survival: Basically start with nothing and you have to worry about feeding yourself and not getting killed by hostile mobs, sudden high drops, drowning, falling into lava...ect. Actually not that difficult in pure survival even on the hard setting. Anything you need, you have to acquire by mining, harvesting or finding.

--Adventure Mode: Never used it personally so, no idea.

--Hardcore Survival(Vanilla): Same as regular survival but difficulty is locked in at Hard and if you die, that's it. You have start on a brand new game.

The above is for the Vanilla (unmodified) versions of the game.

Minecraft is also coded so that it is easily modifiable and what I have listed above may or may not apply to Modded Minecraft. It all depends on the mod-pack you are playing (and it is very possible to create you own personal mod-pack. I have done it several times as have several people that play on the Mafiacraft Server).

4:It is as complicated or as simple as you wish to make it. Being open-ended and primarily a building game, you are under no time limits. You can go as slow or as fast as you like. As to being competitive, that pretty much depends on the people you play with. Mafiacraft server is overall, non-competitive although we do have folks who pride themselves on making the best looking bases/houses. Others who make the most complicated contraptions and things like that. But it is more for showing off than actually competing with other players. There are servers that forbid PvP and others where that is the main goal. Like I said, depends on the people you play with.

I hope that might answer some of the questions you have. I quite enjoy the game myself and have been playing on servers and in single player since December of 2012. Best value of any game I ever bought (except I didn't actually buy it, I got it as an Xmas present).
My Uncle always use'ta say, 'You can't get no blood from a turnip.' .... He'd say the same thing about gettin' it from a stone, too.
-
I never said nothin' back to him. You don't want mess with no freak that's searchin' around that hard for blood.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19628 (ISO) » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:38 am

Post by Klazam »

[15:35:36] <msmodded> <a​erialspring> i wanna go to qdoba but i dont wanna get dressed
[15:36:37] <Klazam> go to qdoba in the nude then
[15:36:39] <Klazam> doooo itttt
[15:37:10] <msmodded> a​erialspring has left the game
[15:37:18] <Klazam> SHES DOING IT

crosspost in no context thread
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19629 (ISO) » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:41 am

Post by EspeciallyTheLies »

my client froze dopus. also i'm wearing PJs. it's my last bit of time off
Art is cool.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19630 (ISO) » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:44 am

Post by Klazam »

Haha
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #19631 (ISO) » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:08 am

Post by Maruchan »

Lol @ etl going out to eat in the nude hehehe
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #19632 (ISO) » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:05 am

Post by Maestro »

Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19633 (ISO) » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:48 am

Post by Klazam »

Psyche- you want the java edition, not the windows 10 version/pocket edition. the latter is a stripped down version of the game.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #19634 (ISO) » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:23 am

Post by Psyche »

whats different
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19635 (ISO) » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:36 am

Post by Klazam »

the original vs the microsoft xbox version, basically
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19636 (ISO) » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:36 am

Post by Klazam »

less features, less alibity to mod, less stuff

also, windows 10 version isnt crossplatform compat with mac
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19637 (ISO) » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:47 am

Post by davesaz »

Oh, that's interesting, I never bothered to look into the Win10 version but it makes sense given that Win10 itself is supposedly "portable" to things like phones and tablets.
Wanna play Minecraft with your ms friends? Check out the minecraft thread, or the channel on discord
Oso
Oso
Goon
Oso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19638 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:11 pm

Post by Oso »

I'm not usually one to share images of my builds but anyone who knows me from Minecraft all know I generally build functionally rather than for aesthetic value. However, quite by mistake, I made something that actually looks good compared to my usual standards.

-
This is the walkway from my base to the arena. Unfortunately, there is no real way to make either the base or the wither room you see down in the lower right look good in comparison.

-
-
Two views of the Arena. Basically I built the bare minimum area to summon the Gaia Spirit and since it looked so butt ugly just sitting there being a round island of dirt, I spruced it up some.
My Uncle always use'ta say, 'You can't get no blood from a turnip.' .... He'd say the same thing about gettin' it from a stone, too.
-
I never said nothin' back to him. You don't want mess with no freak that's searchin' around that hard for blood.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19639 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:59 pm

wow you've been busy! can't wait to get online. soooon. work is kicking my ass :P
Art is cool.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19640 (ISO) » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:29 am

i finally found some time to get on and y'all broke it :igmeou:
Art is cool.
Oso
Oso
Goon
Oso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19641 (ISO) » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:12 pm

Post by Oso »

Look at the little dude....

Now fully grown
-
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19642 (ISO) » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:53 pm

Post by davesaz »

Pack update:

I've been poking around 1.11.2 and there are now plenty of mods available. At least one desirable mod has a compatibility bug and should have an update coming soon. When that is fixed it's possible we may be a go, but I have some questions on hosting.

Having done some playtesting I strongly suspect that the lag problem is a generic processor power issue on the host that ETL is using, not the modpack.
This is especially obvious given it's really laggy on a skyblock map even before anyone logs in (as evidenced by server skipping ticks messages). The tick issue is some form of CPU shortage.
It is possible that the problem is the Java garbage collection settings (which made a huge difference on my desktop), but it isn't clear those can even be changed on this hosting service.

Taking input on mods to include / exclude
. Your input may or may not be accepted. If you'd like it to be private, PMs are fine.
Wanna play Minecraft with your ms friends? Check out the minecraft thread, or the channel on discord
Oso
Oso
Goon
Oso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19643 (ISO) » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:11 am

Post by Oso »

The normal tech mods (EIO, Thermal Expansion, maybe even Mekanism and MFR). Draconic Evolution would be nice as well. Even if you decide to keep the power reactor disabled for server safety, the energy storage and wireless energy transfer is pretty cool. RF Tools because they have some really neat autocrafting machines.

Botania is always a good standby as well as Blood magic (anyone know if Thaumcraft is scheduled for a 1.11.2 release?) For those folks who like to decorate, Decocraft is pretty amazing.

For storage, Storage Drawers/Refined Storage worked pretty well for me in SF3 although if MFR is included the DSU is always a good mass storage option.

Ore Excavation and Better Builder's Wands, I'd say they were both worth putting in the pack as well.

Just for fun, Agricraft/Pam's/Mystical Agriculture is a good trio (although I haven't looked at the 1.11.2 mods so have no idea if any I have mentioned so far are even out for that version).

[Add-on edit] f the lag issue is caused by the server rather than strictly the modpack and a server change is in the works, I'd like to throw Forestry back into the mix if possible. I am pretty familiar with its configs, and there is a lot of stuff that can be disabled if no one is interested in using that part of Forestry and the mod causes major lag. But that is not a make a break for me. If it can easily be included, that is good. If not, that isn't going to bother me too awful much.
Last edited by Oso on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
-
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss

Post Post #19644 (ISO) » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:13 am

Post by Nexus »

Can we have proper computers pls.
Trans rights are human rights.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19645 (ISO) » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:23 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 19644, Nexus wrote:Can we have proper computers pls.
Like OpenComputers...?

Also, @Oso - you can find a post on Azanor's website detailing the fact that he's taking a long break from TC development, and since it's not open source and never has been, that means no TC for awhile. I would HIGHLY recommend Astral Sorcery, a truly unique star-magic-based mod that I love in our 1.11.2 pack. Arch can attest to its polish, cool worldgen, and the basic stuff I've shown him and Klaz.
Oso
Oso
Goon
Oso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19646 (ISO) » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:34 am

Post by Oso »

I like Botania and Blood Magic and have always been kinda' meh about TC. I mentioned TC because so many other folks seemed to like it. So a replacement like Astral Sorcery would be fine with me.
-
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19647 (ISO) » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:40 pm

Post by davesaz »

Update: I'm also looking into 1.12 as a possible version. A lot of stuff is available, and adding things should not be as perilous as it was back in the days of id conflicts.
Not sure what's missing on that level... but I'm gonna see if what is available works. :)

It may be that we only go a few weeks on 1.11.2 -- thoughts on world permanence vs. currency?
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19648 (ISO) » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:04 am

Post by Maestro »

The pattern for public MS servers has always seemed to be that they favor world permanence even up to the point of playerlist fatigue within months, but what do I know, I've only been here 5 years at this point... :wink:

That being said, I don't think bleeding edge modded with 1.12 is necessary or a good idea. They only (relatively) recently started working out a lot of the major issues with Forge that prevented mods from going to 1.12 in the first place.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19649 (ISO) » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:39 am

1.12 looks good BUTbotania, baubles, EIO and tinkers are all still currently missing (as of this past weekend) - major "must have" mods, so in the interest of getting a new server going, i'd suggest 1.11.2 tbh
Art is cool.

Return to “The Arcade”