The MafiaScum Minecraft Thread - AllTheMods 9!!! - NEW Vanilla?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

New Vanilla Server?

Yes, on latest stable version; with fun events & mini-games!
33%
Yes, on latest stable version; for consistency & community! (no plugins)
33%
Yes, on "snapshots"/development versions; bleeding edge! (definitely no plugins)
No votes
Yes, with Spigot/Bukkit/server "plugins" (or commands like /tpa, /home, etc.)
33%
Yes, but I'll post with my specific thoughts and ideas!
No votes

Total votes: 9

Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #19500 (ISO) » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:00 pm

Post by Porochaz »

We did it.

Unfortunately Stabby didnt see much action as the ender dragon never landed... but still, glad I got the firing practice in!

As Andrius said, we wanted to find elytra etc. and we explored a wee bit and I built bridges over to other islands, but searching and searching isn't that much fun. Especially since we've done that already with nether fortress/endermen/end portal etc. If the mods were to grant us some elytra/creative mode access (:P) to have a proper look round, that would be great. Or even the co-ords for a mansion. But as much as I have loved our river cottage, my secret space, Sally - my horse and our desert hideout, I am done with this world. I want to play my other games again for a bit. Thats definitely not to say I won't take part in other things, I really want to do some of the events - I really enjoy doing them on other servers and would love to here. But as a long term play-through, I get addicted to it, and actually Im not sure (beyond the interaction with other players) I find it that fun. Enemies were a nuisance more than fun to kill and even though I had a pretty good mob farm setup going, I couldn't face - over the last week - going to level up 30 more levels, so much so that only my sword was enchanted in the final battle.

That's not to say I didnt have fun. Finding the nether fortress/end portal felt like an achievement. (particularly the end portal - I found the fortress, couldn't find the damn thing itself) I find mining oddly relaxing as well. I loved our villages and our cottage. But my real take away from this was the fact that I did with Andrius, who was fantastic, like he put up with me dying near constantly and picked me up when I felt really shitty about this run, so thanks man, Im glad we got to the end together.

As for me, I'm all for events - if there is enough interest, may have another go at modded at some point in the far future, but beyond the ms vanilla server, Im done for now.

Thank you mods for hosting us and putting up with our whining and allowing us to be able to do this. I enjoyed myself, and my criticisms are at the game itself rather than anything else.
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #19501 (ISO) » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:04 pm

Post by Andrius »

I don't know how running a server works, but I know of at least ONE pre-generated SEED with a mansion w/in 500 blocks IIRC, so if we wanted to do that that could be fun. Just stomp through a mansion for a day or so. IIRC one of the mods said they hadn't seen one yet either and they're HUGE and take a lot of time to hit every room. Even the secret rooms. >:D

Glad we made it together as well.
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #19502 (ISO) » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:35 pm

Post by Maruchan »

I think we need to try doing adventure maps. Where there is set story lines to go down and whatnot. We schedule a time to all log in and do one for 2-5 hours
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #19503 (ISO) » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:33 pm

Post by Klazam »

In post 19502, Maruchan wrote:I think we need to try doing adventure maps. Where there is set story lines to go down and whatnot. We schedule a time to all log in and do one for 2-5 hours
I can make this happen. Or if you wanted to see the mansion seed happen I can do that too.

Congrats to you all!

Send me and maestro PMs for events and shit, and we'll schedule them all
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #19504 (ISO) » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:15 am

Post by Porochaz »

In post 19502, Maruchan wrote:I think we need to try doing adventure maps. Where there is set story lines to go down and whatnot. We schedule a time to all log in and do one for 2-5 hours
That could be fun.
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #19505 (ISO) » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:36 am

Post by Maestro »

Because of the level of activity, because it just doesn't seem like something people want as much,
AND
because it conflicts with the general idea of MS Vanilla, I'm going to vote against any more "open-ended" SMP-type worlds. We do special events with specific mini-games or adventure-style maps or people play on MS Vanilla - there's no point, IMO, doing these long survival worlds because that's not what this server's about.

Since nobody's online now, I'm going to switch the world to a backup and restart it in Vanilla 1.11.2 (or whatever we've been on?) with the default mode set to Creative until we get a "next step" in place, most likely The Walls or something along those lines.
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #19506 (ISO) » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:55 am

Post by McMenno »

yup I'm echoing the same sentiment here, something like race for the wool could be fun, also ctm but those take a little more time so yeah
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #19507 (ISO) » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:31 am

Post by Maruchan »

There used to be a really good archive of amazing adventure maps that are organized by difficulty I'll look for it when I get home
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19508 (ISO) » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:44 am

Post by Rhinox »

Congrats slaying the dragon guys sorry I couldn't join in just haven't had a ton of spare time lately. PS did the main vanilla server dragon ever get slayed?

I'm all for other events particularly ones that don't require long commitments. I can swing 1-night type events pretty easily.
Fishythefish
Fishythefish
Mafia Scum
Fishythefish
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19509 (ISO) » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:56 am

Post by Fishythefish »

On the main vanilla - I had a go at finding a fortress. I got to a point where I lost an ender eye because is went straight down in the middle of an ocean, but never found it. Might resume the quest some time :)
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19510 (ISO) » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:01 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 19509, Fishythefish wrote:On the main vanilla - I had a go at finding a fortress. I got to a point where I lost an ender eye because is went straight down in the middle of an ocean, but never found it. Might resume the quest some time :)
Well, I do know that a fortress was already found, and the end had been visited. Always thought we were going to organize a group slaying but that never happened that I know of. Wasn't sure if it was slayed or not. If it was at least the dragon can be reborn indefinitely. Just thought it'd be fun to do it together the first time but I guess ppl might not be that interested in it now after doing the event server thing.
Fishythefish
Fishythefish
Mafia Scum
Fishythefish
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19511 (ISO) » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:03 am

Post by Fishythefish »

Ah, ok. I'd be up for slaying a dragon some time. Maybe this weekend if it's still alive and anyone else is interested?
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19512 (ISO) » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:14 pm

Post by Fluminator »

So I never really got into Minecraft until the last year or so. A few years ago, I played it with some friends for the first time and really liked it. I’m not a fan of sandbox games usually but I love cooperative survival games (probably my favorite genre) which is what I consider Minecraft to truly be. But after we successfully beat the dragon and won the game I didn’t go back until recently. They added a crap ton of things and the game is still quite a fun romp to play with friends.
Then I got the game for Vive, a virtual reality system that has room scale support. The game has become legendary. It’s so different when you’re actually in the world. Everything is so much bigger and more immersive. Anyone who’s played Minecraft can probably imagine it, but even then it’s something you still need to experience to truly appreciate it.

Growing up I loved lego, and I always wished I could actually explore the lego creations I made. This is basically the closest you can get. The Minecraft VR edition lets you make yourself any size relative to the world so you can grow to be huge and place the Minecraft blocks like lego to make a house. You can then shrink yourself down to actually explore the creation you just built. I felt a sense that I hadn’t felt since I was a kid. Just pure unadulterated excitement, forgetting all the concerns about life temporarily.

You actually swing your sword and hold your shield when fighting monsters (that are as tall as you). You all will know how scary a creeper sneaking up behind you is. I can assure you all it’s even more scary in VR lol. I got a bow and actually used both my hands to pull back an arrow and snipe a giant spider. Even mining is more fun now that I actually swing a pick to break the blocks.
If you’re wondering how movement works, there are many options you can set to move around the world, although the one I like best is Run-in-place movement. It might seem a little weird at first walking in place but it becomes quite natural quickly.

Anyway, I guess the point of this is because I couldn’t conceal my excitement, and that you all need to order a Vive virtual reality set. Then we can start a VR Minecraft sever together.
Last edited by Fluminator on Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19513 (ISO) » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:15 pm

Post by Fluminator »

http://www.vivecraft.org/

Also I'd love to do a hardcore playthrough with some people here at some point. Something similar to this series.

Basically we're all on skype or discord, but when you die and are out of the server, you also leave the conversation. It really creates a neat atmosphere where death is legit. (For the survivors at least.)
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19514 (ISO) » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:37 pm

Post by Fluminator »

It looks like a major session just recently finished. Sad I missed it. If you guys are looking for a more interesting type of play-through, the hardcore I mentioned is definitely the most thrilling way to play the game.
In post 19471, Andrius wrote:I'm losing the interest to play this game.
Holy crap farming endermen takes forever.

I mean we've had some good times but I didn't imagine this would turn into a multi-week affair.
Like, I'll be online if people are online through Sunday.

And then after that if there's a day or something for The End when we just SOUND THE CHARGE then great.
But I have no interest playing this by myself so I will basically only log on if people are here.
Enderman farming isn't too bad if you have a good enchanted sword, or you make a base in the desert where a crapton of enderman spawn.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19515 (ISO) » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:47 pm

Post by Klazam »

I'm the only one here who has a vive. i can confirm its amazing.

you can connect to a nonvivecraft server while playing vivecraft, so i'd encourage you do that with the existing vanilla server instead of seeking to fragment the playerbase here.
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19516 (ISO) » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:52 pm

Post by Fluminator »

Oh, that's awesome too.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #19517 (ISO) » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:55 pm

Post by Andrius »

I mean.
Prozac and I both die ALL THE TIME so Hardcore sounds fun but pretty darn impossible.
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19518 (ISO) » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:58 pm

Post by Klazam »

M and i arent gonna do a hardcore events server thing, not a long term one at least

Next weekend will be something fun! what time slot EST on saturday or sunday works best for everyone? we can run it on both dates if necessary
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19519 (ISO) » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:01 pm

Post by Fluminator »

Hardcore is hard, and usually everyone dies before wining (which is part of the fun). It's very possible though, as most deaths are quite avoidable.
Although considering when people die they're out, it probably wouldn't work as an event, and it would have to be a separate server which would be harder to set up.
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #19520 (ISO) » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:09 pm

Post by T-Bone »

hey when are you losers gonna put me back on the whitelist ;)
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19521 (ISO) » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:17 pm

Post by davesaz »

Modded or vanilla, and mc name?
Wanna play Minecraft with your ms friends? Check out the minecraft thread, or the channel on discord
My Milked Eek
My Milked Eek
Mafia Scum
My Milked Eek
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19522 (ISO) » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:05 am

Post by My Milked Eek »

Am I still on the whitelist? And what's the IP of the latest vanilla server?
Eek
!
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #19523 (ISO) » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:16 am

Post by McMenno »

In post 19518, Klazam wrote:M and i arent gonna do a hardcore events server thing, not a long term one at least

Next weekend will be something fun! what time slot EST on saturday or sunday works best for everyone? we can run it on both dates if necessary
unfortunately I won't be available...

marathon weekend and all
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19524 (ISO) » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:27 am