Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #3275 (ISO) » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:59 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

In post 3237, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:
In post 3236, xRECKONERx wrote:UT and I just got back from a board game run.

Purchases include:

Battle for Rokugan
Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization
Agents of SMERSH
SMERSH is super fun. It's less of a game and more of an excuse to get drunk, but it's hilarious none the less. A fixed version of Arabian Nights that doesn't suck.
it's so fucking good
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #3276 (ISO) » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:02 pm

Post by implosion »

My group finished pandemic legacy season 2 on Sunday!

We managed to win every game. we thought it was overall easier than season 1 for ~reasons~.
Spoiler: Literally spoilers for everything
tl;dr innoculation is overpowered as fuck. We spent most of the months innoculating exactly as many city cards as we added to maintain the maximum deck size for 6 epidemic cards every game, making epidemics about as sparse in the deck as possible. Stronger of course is the ability to effectively treat a city in zero actions spending zero cubes, and the ability to focus doing that to cities that are out-of-the-way so as to avoid ever having to go to them. Most of south america (at least, what we connected) and western north america were fully innoculated, for instance.

The december gimmick was really cool. Much more interesting than season 1's, where you just had this arbitrary sequence of cards you needed, where we were incentivized to really think about what the most efficient way to do things was. Managed to use a companion to remove a plague cube in the most convenient spot for the carrier to stop over at, letting them get there in just 2 turns with some good coordination from satellite towers and them having the upgrade that gives them a free drive/ferry action each turn.

We got a final score of exactly 900 (best ending is 851+, we won every game first try, got all labs, delivered sample, and exactly 100 points from population, with 0 fallen cities because we bumped up the ones that fell). We actually never had any cities fall at all (and so didn't open the turning point card) until like November. We learned how overpowered Eleanor (our scientist from season 1) was, and so the equivalent character here (Caleb, the builder or whatever it is) + the upgrade that makes you need one fewer card = 3 cards per supply center, sometimes fewer because we had a bunch of upgraded cards with the upgrades that count as double or triple for building.

We did very few searches. Generally had to go out of the way to do them and they didn't advance the objectives. Whenever possible our secondary/tertiary objectives were generally to recon 1 unknown region and connect 2 cities to the grid. Had a standard network of permanent supply centers for transportation. Used basically the same 4 characters every single month, and buffed them up massively, with only a couple exceptions where we took the newer character that lets you discard 2 cards to pick 1 up because red cards were so necessary and in such short supply. It was all of the starting characters except for the one that lets you give a card away (the one that was similar to the researcher). After a little tinkering in the early months we realized that the cube redistributor is super convenient because it lets you give spare cubes to anyone who needs them constantly, both for defending against infection cards and for actions like building towers and drawing lines and using the ability of the character who needs 1 less card to build a supply center by spending 2 cubes.

The hollow men gather cards are also an interesting choice; I saw it mostly as the game's way of making things tractable as you run lower and lower on cubes, but it still gives you enough ways to avoid exposure between shelters and sending radio signals that we never got exposed a single time on any character until December when we had to expose our cure carrier.

It also helped a lot that we found both of the +15 cube stickers relatively early. Of all of the progress report-y cards in the legacy deck that you get if you don't recon a region in time, we only had one of them with the negative effect of destroying one of the unrationed events (idr which one).
Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3277 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:36 am

Post by Chickadee »

My birthday happens to fall on board game night. So that's cool.
Instagram: BoneSpellArts

"Yo I'm so good at anime girls" - pj
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #3278 (ISO) » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:13 am

Post by Pine »

HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS THREAD EXISTED
"Cry havoc, and let slip the wombat of war!"

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3279 (ISO) » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:35 am

Post by Chickadee »

In post 3278, Pine wrote:HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS THREAD EXISTED
I HONESTLY DONT KNOW

Also my group is hoping to
finally
finish Pandemic Legacy Season 1 tonight. Fingers crossed. Scheduling has been freakin awful with our group.

xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3280 (ISO) » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:21 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

FYI: amazon is having a massive board game sale to celebrate Gencon

reddit.com/r/Boardgamedeals/comments/94qcxs/amazon_gencon_2018_sale/

Thinking about picking up Cash n Gunz, Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, and Kingdomino
green shirt thursdays
Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3281 (ISO) » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:15 am

Post by Chickadee »

I'm almost done with the first box of Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective. I highly recommend it. I hear the second box is alright, but that the third box is amazing! Really looking forward to playing them through.

The other night, we got a 50 on one of them. We were super proud of ourselves. Still didn't beat Sherlock, but it's never really been high on our priority list.

DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3282 (ISO) » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:24 am

Post by DeathNote »

Extra Life has a Boardgame Appreciation August 25 - 26th. My crew will be streaming boardgames if anyone cares to stop by and watch!
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #3283 (ISO) » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:24 am

Post by shaft.ed »

anyone played ROOT?
it looks interesting
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3284 (ISO) » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:48 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 3281, Chickadee wrote:I'm almost done with the first box of Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective. I highly recommend it. I hear the second box is alright, but that the third box is amazing! Really looking forward to playing them through.

The other night, we got a 50 on one of them. We were super proud of ourselves. Still didn't beat Sherlock, but it's never really been high on our priority list.
Is this similar to the game that I played as a kid on CD-ROM?

chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #3285 (ISO) » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:43 pm

Post by chamber »

It's apparently based on the board game she's talking about. The first is from the 80's. They just did 2 new versions over the last couple years. Presumably when the Sherlock Holmes IP entered public domain.
Taking a break from the site.
Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3286 (ISO) » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:36 pm

Post by Chickadee »

In post 3284, zoraster wrote:
In post 3281, Chickadee wrote:I'm almost done with the first box of Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective. I highly recommend it. I hear the second box is alright, but that the third box is amazing! Really looking forward to playing them through.

Is this similar to the game that I played as a kid on CD-ROM?

Yea, pretty similar!

The reason, btw, that the second box is only alright is because it's fan-made mysteries, so things sometimes don't quite add up, or they get weird.

_______

Tonight we played
Forbidden Sky
(it completes the Forbidden [Games} trilogy). It was great. Way better than
Forbidden Island
and
Forbidden Desert
. The art is familiar, and and the general rules of {do up to 4 actions, bad things, panic level rising} is familiar, but the gameplay and complexity was a lot better. Still not a heavy game, but it was nicely thought out.

Also played
Welcome To...
, which I absolutely loved! It was a cute little game. It play x number of people, which is great. I will really consider keeping an eye out for this game. It's essentially a roll and write game, but instead of rolling you're flipping cards and choosing combos. Playing competitively there isn't a whole lot of pressure to keep up with what your opponent is doing. It's actually pretty hard to do, because there are just so many choices. So it's really just figuring out your own puzzle while you build a neighborhood. It can be pretty challenging. I really enjoyed it. Even without keeping track of your opponent, the game I played tonight ended up being a very close game (91-100, in my favor)

And
The Shipwreck Arcana
made it to the table as well. I've played it before, and really enjoyed it, so we introduced it to some friends unfamiliar with it. One of my friends picked it up at GenCon. It's a deduction game, trying to figure out the numbers people have in their hands. It's cooperative and there are clues out on the table as the only method of communicating what's in your hand. The art is beautiful, and the play is great. I'll probably pick his up at some point too.

Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3287 (ISO) » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:59 am

Post by Randomnamechange »

went to a board game cafe for teh first time yesterday
played tokaido which was just as good as i was hoping, betrayal on the hill where i got to be the traitor and win, which was also as good as i hoped, then the fury of dracula. as there were 6 of us we had 2 people working together as dracula and the other 4 played the hunters. it was good fun but struggled a bit from me taking over as the hunters bc i was playing the most strategically and was the only one cynical enough to try and figure out when the draculas were lying to and manipulate us. i think it probs gets better after a few plays when you know what the vampires abilities are because there were a few which completely ruined our strategies.
vonflare (21:40)
you suck randomidget
Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3288 (ISO) » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:25 am

Post by Chickadee »

I love the Betrayal games so much. Glad you liked them.

Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #3289 (ISO) » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:36 am

Post by Faraday »

glad you had a betrayal game that worked out ok and didn't completely shit the bed, there's like a 50/50 chance either way imo (I still like it, but it's definitely flawed. the legacy version might be fun, i guess)
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3290 (ISO) » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:46 am

Post by DeathNote »

Going to play Antiquity on Sunday and super stoked about it
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3291 (ISO) » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:20 am

yeah last time my friends played it it didnt work because the traitor had no idea what they were doing and didnt really accomplish anything, whereas i am sufficiently scheming to make it work
you suck randomidget
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #3292 (ISO) » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:35 am

Post by Faraday »

tbf some of the haunts are pretty broken, or you'll end up in a situation where the winner is really obvious due to positioning, flipped tiles etc. when the game works it's a ton of fun, but there are definitely haunts that just aren't very good/wildly unbalanced
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3293 (ISO) » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:42 am

this was the chess one which seems much easier for the traitor tbf
you suck randomidget
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #3294 (ISO) » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:55 am

Post by implosion »

Wildly unbalanced isn't necessarily bad with a game like betrayal. I view it as a very casual game.

One of my fondest memories of betrayal is a traitor hitting me for, iirc, 17 damage in one attack, rolling 12 dice. I would have died to 1 damage.

That said, I've also had a haunt where we won as the heroes before the traitor got to take a single turn...
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3295 (ISO) » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:04 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Betrayal is definitely a game that's more about the experience than necessarily being a mechanically "fair" game. I've had a lot of fun games of it by playing up the roleplaying aspect more than just worrying about what's strictly optimal.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3296 (ISO) » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:25 pm

Post by Chickadee »

Same. Betrayal is really really fun when it works and the haunt is good. It's best when the traitor knows how to play the game, since the heroes can't really help them with stuff specific to their side. But even when its not a mechanically fair haunt, I still find it fun. One of my favorites was a game where I was the traitor and my turn was pretty passive. I didn't really do much. I was a tree. I just existed. And I won. By all means, I should not have won. But I did.

animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #3297 (ISO) » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:40 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

I once triggered a haunt in betrayal that killed me literally right away and that was one of the ones I enjoyed the most, so there's joy to be had in the bad haunts too, but the rules (at least in the original) are kind of unclear and my group plays lots of Pathfinder too, so rules gotta be clear, yo.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #3298 (ISO) » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:45 pm

Post by PJ. »

Some haunts just take to god damn long though. Like the item one.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3299 (ISO) » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:28 am

Post by Chickadee »

I find in the original one that some basic house rules are necessary. Baulder's gate is solid as far as rules go though.

Return to “The Arcade”