Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:56 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 16, UberNinja wrote:Some of my friends want to play Settlers of Catan with me. Any good tips?

Oh and I think they want to play Catan: Cities and Knights too. Strategies would be awesome.

Base game? Build cities. They rock. Don't focus on sheep (wool, whatever you call it). Numbers around 7 are cool, but don't mean everything. Getting good numbers all over beats having one 8 and 2 3's. The maths are rather simple. Having the same numbers is cool, esspecially if they form a part of something you can build (ore-grain or wood-stone).

Cities and Knights? Strategies are a little less defined here. A couple of green cards are amazing, blue cards are very cool as well, yellow are okayish in general. They'll explain you how you can get those cards. Don't let your cities die, so have a knight around at least. Place your knight around the fields which are very important for your income, and use him to get the robber away (or at least to threaten you'll do it if they place the robber there, so they won't use it on you or your most important fields).

Overall: Trade even if you don't need it immediately. If someone offers you a resource you generally lack since you have bad numbers on those, for something you will get often enough, don't hesitate. If you think they'll give more then one resource for one of you, don't hesitate to ask, argue why it's only fair (they'll be getting their village/city etc, and you are
helping
them). In general, be a nice person. People like people who trade easily, and if the rest of the players lock up, that means you'll be getting the good deals.
Don't
trade with the bank if you can help it. 4:1 isn't worth it, 3:1 still isn't, 2:1 may have exceptions when you are ahead and nobody wants to trade with you, but in general it's just a bad idea.

Don't go overeager on the knights, they are cool, they give victory points, but they don't net you a lot of income. Even in cities and knights, cities are awesome, though less so then in the base game. If you can build
anything
, don't hesitate. Every resource spend will give you an advantage.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:04 am

Post by mykonian »

Dominion arrived a couple of weeks ago now, been playing it in the weekends with the family. Generally, I've never had trouble with the game being really boring. The problem is, the better people play, the more the game gets determined by that small move in the 3rd round or so. The big advantage is that compared to other games with the same depth it's very quick. You'll never get the same feeling of joy as in other games perhaps, it's more a calm battle of wits after which you and your opponents shake hands on the nice game you had, I guess.
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:21 am

Post by UberNinja »

In post 25, mykonian wrote:
In post 16, UberNinja wrote:Some of my friends want to play Settlers of Catan with me. Any good tips?

Oh and I think they want to play Catan: Cities and Knights too. Strategies would be awesome.

Base game? Build cities. They rock. Don't focus on sheep (wool, whatever you call it). Numbers around 7 are cool, but don't mean everything. Getting good numbers all over beats having one 8 and 2 3's. The maths are rather simple. Having the same numbers is cool, esspecially if they form a part of something you can build (ore-grain or wood-stone).

Cities and Knights? Strategies are a little less defined here. A couple of green cards are amazing, blue cards are very cool as well, yellow are okayish in general. They'll explain you how you can get those cards. Don't let your cities die, so have a knight around at least. Place your knight around the fields which are very important for your income, and use him to get the robber away (or at least to threaten you'll do it if they place the robber there, so they won't use it on you or your most important fields).

Overall: Trade even if you don't need it immediately. If someone offers you a resource you generally lack since you have bad numbers on those, for something you will get often enough, don't hesitate. If you think they'll give more then one resource for one of you, don't hesitate to ask, argue why it's only fair (they'll be getting their village/city etc, and you are
helping
them). In general, be a nice person. People like people who trade easily, and if the rest of the players lock up, that means you'll be getting the good deals.
Don't
trade with the bank if you can help it. 4:1 isn't worth it, 3:1 still isn't, 2:1 may have exceptions when you are ahead and nobody wants to trade with you, but in general it's just a bad idea.

Don't go overeager on the knights, they are cool, they give victory points, but they don't net you a lot of income. Even in cities and knights, cities are awesome, though less so then in the base game. If you can build
anything
, don't hesitate. Every resource spend will give you an advantage.

Thanks! I will be sure to save this message and use it when we start playing.

<3
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:05 am

Post by Thesp »

In post 5, xRECKONERx wrote:What are some staple board games? I've heard some people mention Settlers and Puerto Rico as possibilities, but what are some solid games that everyone should have in their collection? (And I don't mean Monopoly and Clue).

I recommend Settlers of Catan, though everyone else doesn't necessarily. A pretty good guide could be the Speil des Jahres winners. I'm not familiar with Niagara, Torres, or Villa Paletti, but everything else from 1993 onward is solid.

In post 6, Debonair Danny DiPietro wrote:I find Settlers mildly amusing enough to play it once in a while, Carcassonne is pretty junk in my opinion, but I'm a huge fan of 7 Wonders which I have yet to tire of and recommend highly; I'm intrigued by the expansion(s) as well but haven't gotten it yet.

I enjoy 7 Wonders: Leaders a great deal and recommend it for those who like 7 Wonders. It won't make you like the game if you didn't already, but it adds a bit of variety to an already great game.

I disagree with the hate for Settlers of Catan. It's still one of my favorite games, and is an excellent gateway game. It will be what you make of it, and some people don't care for it (which I understand), but the interaction it allows with the tension and trading can be great.

Start with the base game first. Play it about 3 times before trying Cities & Knights. C&K can be overwhelming if it's your first time. The base game is not. (That said, C&K is by far my favorite way to play Settlers.) As far as advice goes, watch what you're trading, but don't hesitate to trade. Trading almost always benefits the two players who are trading to the detriment of the other players at the table. And make sure you have a reason you're trading for something.

In post 19, Drench wrote:also does anyone want to teach me twilight struggle
i'm pretty certain it's my next purchase and i kinda get how the game works from reading the manual a lot but i haven't really had experience with it

If you take a trip out to Jackson, MS, I'll do it gladly!

In post 21, xRECKONERx wrote:TBQH, I'm a little "ehhh" looking at Resistance & Cosmic Encounter... thoughts on these games?

Also that Dominion question still stands :)

The Resistance will go over well with people who like mafia, and seems to be an easier way to grasp the mechanic of hidden traitors. Cosmis Encounter works great with 5-6 people who are actively involved. If you don't have that, it may bomb.

I like the First Game setup in Dominion for teaching new players. there appear three different approaches you can take to victory in it.

And as much as I love Puzzle Strike, Dominion is considerably more accessible.
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

Ask me about my automatic votecounter, and how you can use it in
your
game!
Check out my 15 minutes of fame on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:22 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 21, xRECKONERx wrote:BSG (can I enjoy it w/out watching the show?)

If my group's any indication, you'll like it so much that you start watching the show(which reminds me that I really need to finish that last season of it)
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:53 am

Post by Debonair Danny DiPietro »

In post 28, Thesp wrote:
In post 6, Debonair Danny DiPietro wrote:I find Settlers mildly amusing enough to play it once in a while, Carcassonne is pretty junk in my opinion, but I'm a huge fan of 7 Wonders which I have yet to tire of and recommend highly; I'm intrigued by the expansion(s) as well but haven't gotten it yet.

I enjoy 7 Wonders: Leaders a great deal and recommend it for those who like 7 Wonders. It won't make you like the game if you didn't already, but it adds a bit of variety to an already great game.

There are people who don't like 7 Wonders?
Staeg
Staeg
Mafia Scum
Staeg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:18 am

Post by Staeg »

In post 30, Debonair Danny DiPietro wrote:
In post 28, Thesp wrote:

There are people who don't like 7 Wonders?

Well, adults? Not any I know of. But it's not a game for children.
sa vrede?
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:43 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 28, Thesp wrote:there appear three different approaches you can take to victory in it.

What 3?

Also: any point in buying the TTR expansions? They look like just slight mods on the same game to me
green shirt thursdays
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:58 am

Post by Thesp »

In post 32, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 28, Thesp wrote:there appear three different approaches you can take to victory in it.

What 3?

Also: any point in buying the TTR expansions? They look like just slight mods on the same game to me

Only if you really like TTR. (We do, and have most of the expansions.) They are different takes on the same theme, with minor variances to keep things interesting. I prefer the Marklin map (and Europe is my least favorite), but I seem to be in the minority on that. I haven't tried the India map yet.
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

your
game!
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:24 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Hah. Europe is definitely more time-consuming than the base USA map with the tunnels and ferries. I quite enjoyed it on Europe, though I think getting more familiar with the map will make it even more enjoyable. Right now it's a bit overwhelming with how many different routes there are and how long it takes to get places. Why do you dislike the Europe map so much?
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:07 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

By the way -- at what point in TTR do you pick up more tickets, usually?
green shirt thursdays
PeregrineV
PeregrineV
Survivor
PeregrineV
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:04 am

Post by PeregrineV »

The only board game I ever even try to play anymore is Axis & Allies. Although we did have a rousing game of Life during Christmas! :lol:

Also may have an opportunity to buy some old Avalon Hill war-type games. Any recommendations on the best ones to look for?
I will have
Limited Access
on weekends.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:08 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 35, xRECKONERx wrote:By the way -- at what point in TTR do you pick up more tickets, usually?

ASAP
Regfan
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:18 am

Post by Regfan »

Boggle.
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:25 am

Post by saulres »

I've found Settlers to be enjoyable for the non-gamers. To prevent boredom on replay we shuffle up the tiles and numbers.

In post 25, mykonian wrote:Base game? Build cities. They rock.

That only works if you get the resources to do it. The randomness of dice means your initial strategy may not pan out, so you have to be flexible.

Having the same numbers is cool, esspecially if they form a part of something you can build (ore-grain or wood-stone).

But it sucks if that number doesn't come up. I try to avoid duplicate numbers unless they're for logical pairings (lumber and clay or wheat and ore) and spread out my numbers more so I'm more likely to get
something
on every roll.
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:40 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 37, mykonian wrote:
In post 35, xRECKONERx wrote:By the way -- at what point in TTR do you pick up more tickets, usually?

ASAP

I've been waiting till I finish one route and close in on the second.
green shirt thursdays
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:46 am

Post by mykonian »

I've been taking another one as soon as I didn't think it likely that my route's would get blocked soon.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:26 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

http://www.vassalengine.org/index.php

anyone messed w/ this at all?
green shirt thursdays
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:32 pm

Post by UberNinja »

In post 38, Regfan wrote:Boggle.

I love Boggle! There's not really a board though, haha
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:55 am

Post by Drench »

In post 42, xRECKONERx wrote:http://www.vassalengine.org/index.php

anyone messed w/ this at all?

i actually downloaded that the other day as part of my previously stated oh-my-god-how-do-i-twilight-struggle-argh
arkham horror is apparently on there as well which excites me slightly

as for how it works, you have to download the modules yourself but it's practically a two-click thing
haven't played any games on it but it should work out i guess maybe?
join your union
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:31 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 39, saulres wrote:I've found Settlers to be enjoyable for the non-gamers. To prevent boredom on replay we shuffle up the tiles and numbers.

In post 25, mykonian wrote:Base game? Build cities. They rock.

That only works if you get the resources to do it. The randomness of dice means your initial strategy may not pan out, so you have to be flexible.

Having the same numbers is cool, esspecially if they form a part of something you can build (ore-grain or wood-stone).

But it sucks if that number doesn't come up. I try to avoid duplicate numbers unless they're for logical pairings (lumber and clay or wheat and ore) and spread out my numbers more so I'm more likely to get
something
on every roll.

Yeah yeah, dice are random. Still, if you have the chance... you want to build cities. You want to increase the chance of you building cities as well.

Further, again, dice are random. But having a hand full of stuff sometimes beats having a halffull hand always. Esspecially at the start this works, after which you should spread out anyway and consolidate.
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:28 am

Post by Thesp »

In post 34, xRECKONERx wrote:Hah. Europe is definitely more time-consuming than the base USA map with the tunnels and ferries. I quite enjoyed it on Europe, though I think getting more familiar with the map will make it even more enjoyable. Right now it's a bit overwhelming with how many different routes there are and how long it takes to get places. Why do you dislike the Europe map so much?

I do not like the limited number of long tickets in Europe, nor do I like the station concept. I still enjoy it, but not as much as the others. (That said, I doubt I'd turn down a game!)

What mykonian said:
In post 41, mykonian wrote:I've been taking another one as soon as I didn't think it likely that my route's would get blocked soon.

On the US map, if I'm going heavily in the East, I'll often do it early so that my next tickets will help dictate what routes I take to my first locations.
Reiner Knizia

your
game!
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:44 am

Post by saulres »

In post 45, mykonian wrote:But having a hand full of stuff sometimes beats having a halffull hand always. Esspecially at the start this works, after which you should spread out anyway and consolidate.

See, this is why Settlers is such a great game. You have your strategy, I have mine, and each are equally viable, depending on the layout of the board and the initial placements.

I have tried in some games to build cities first, and at least once or twice have gotten screwed by that because by the time it came to start spreading out, all my egresses were blocked. I had to rely on development cards to get any more points.
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:49 am

Post by Thesp »

In post 32, xRECKONERx wrote:

What 3?

I forgot to answer this: Villages & Smithies, Remodeling lots o' crap, and Militas 4eva seem to be the most common three approaches, each interesting in their own ways.
Reiner Knizia

your
game!
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:13 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Ewww, militias.

Hey Standstill, if you can find a good module and learn to use it I'll pay something on Vassal with you.
green shirt thursdays

Return to “The Arcade”