Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3450 (ISO) » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:12 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 3448, PJ. wrote:I heard bad things about clank but I heard clank in space fixed it.
Clank is neat. There are some weird things to it, but it's generally over quickly enough that I don't mind its issues.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #3451 (ISO) » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:58 am

Post by shaft.ed »

In post 3450, hasdgfas wrote:
In post 3448, PJ. wrote:I heard bad things about clank but I heard clank in space fixed it.
Clank is neat. There are some weird things to it, but it's generally over quickly enough that I don't mind its issues.
they somehow made a Clank a legacy game
I have know idea who was asking for that
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #3452 (ISO) » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:37 am

Post by GreyICE »

In post 3449, Suspicious wrote:
In post 3444, GreyICE wrote:TI4 is really about time. Do you have 6 hours to devote to a game? TI4 is worth it. Do you want something that's over in 1-2? Inis is a great game that rewards good play, and is constantly interesting. They're both wargames, while Scythe is a Eurogame, but since most people I find think that Scythe is going to be a wargame thanks to the mechs, it's worth it. And for my money, Terra Mystica is a better "euro with area control aspects" even if it's not my favorite game overall.
Thanks for the suggestions! And yeah, the mech theme had me intrigued; guess it's not as battle-heavy as I might have hoped?

Resource management is enjoyable, but I do like getting my hands dirty with some conflict.
Yeah, there's not a whole lot of combat in Scythe.

Here's the reviews of Inis and Twilight Imperium.

That should give you a good idea if you like them.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #3453 (ISO) » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:54 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I don't understand legacy games in general
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3454 (ISO) » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:50 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 3451, shaft.ed wrote:
In post 3450, hasdgfas wrote:
they somehow made a Clank a legacy game
I have know idea who was asking for that
I'm a sucker for Legacy games in general, so I'm excited for it.
In post 3453, popsofctown wrote:I don't understand legacy games in general
It's the feeling of progression, the excitement factor of "LOOK AT THESE NEW THINGS", seeing things change as you play more, and, in many cases, an actual plot of some sort where you want to see what happens.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #3455 (ISO) » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:07 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

I wanna do the Betrayal Legacy after watching the playthrough on Game the Game
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3456 (ISO) » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:49 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

betrayal legacy was great, and i say this as someone who was lukewarm at best on original betrayal
green shirt thursdays
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3457 (ISO) » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:50 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Betrayal in legacy format I can see actually.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #3458 (ISO) » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:14 pm

Post by PJ. »

i've only played pandemic legacy s1 and it was a blast and only legacy game i've heard bad things about is seafall
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #3459 (ISO) » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:21 pm

Post by Equinox »

Four of us played Twilight Imperium 4E today, and there was plenty of conflict to go around toward the end of the game. That said, with three of us being new to 4E, it took us ten hours to clear the game.
Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3460 (ISO) » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:22 pm

Post by Chickadee »

I've played Pandemic Legacy S1 and S2, and am currently on a second play through S1 with a different group, with the idea that we'll all play through S2 as well, and then they'll be caught up when S3 hit sometimes this year (hopefully). My group for S1 and S2 has scattered to different parts of the world.

I also played Mechs vs Minions, which was amazing. And I'd love to try and play Betrayal Legacy, but my problem is finding a group. Most of the people I regularly play with would not be down for it...despite literally everyone saying that it's great. I really liked the original Betrayal,and LOVE Betrayal and Baulder's gate. So I know I'll love the legacy.
Instagram: BoneSpellArts

"Yo I'm so good at anime girls" - pj
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #3461 (ISO) » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:00 pm

Post by GreyICE »

In post 3459, Equinox wrote:Four of us played Twilight Imperium 4E today, and there was plenty of conflict to go around toward the end of the game. That said, with three of us being new to 4E, it took us ten hours to clear the game.
4 player is also the least conflict-prone, due to the relative map sizes (it's the same size as six player, everyone gets more space). Six player usually has squabbles very quickly. Usually no one wants to commit their entire army, or commit to wiping someone out (there's always better ways to do things) but big fights happen. It does usually follow a trajectory of rounds 2-3 are petty squabbles where a few ships die, 4 is when shit starts heating up, and 5-6 is when people try to take homeworlds and throw huge armies at Mecatol.

What factions were in the game?
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #3462 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:44 am

Post by Vi »

fROOT - Cat (9, me) vs. Birds (9) vs. Alliance (30) vs. Panda (like 22 or something) vs. Lizards (waiting for unstoppable dominance on their turn) vs. Otters (like 12)
anarchy was a mistake

BattleCON - Magdelina (0, me) vs. Heketch (7) on beat 9
Even accounting for a lack of experience against the hecker I played wretchedly. Maggie was very sad about not being able to contest Prio at Level 3.

Ra - 42 (me) vs. three scores that were not 42 but also respectable
I don't think anyone did really badly, and the person to my right was doing a good job with calling auctions, but sometimes you get the bear. The joy of this game continues to be watching other people feel like they're making bad decisions.

Terraforming Mars - 70 to 60 (me) to like 57, 48, 47
I have never played this game before and I scored like a puppy. The crying over this game started on turn 1 and, I'm told, these scores are indicative of why. I'm still pretty sure I don't have a handle on at least one major mechanic.

TROGDOR!! The Board Game
Won in endgame rage. The machine you have to fight against in this co-op makes it really difficult to cover everything; I'm not entirely sure what "good play" looks like.

Argent: the Consortium - Jesca (6, me) vs. Xal (4) vs. Rikhi (2)
Gold and mana scarcity; there were dirty deeds and they were done dirt cheap. The other players figured this game out pretty quickly (e.g. not putting me in the Infirmary so I could get those sweet blue plastic bits), and I felt awkwardly behind for most of the game. Pulled two votes out in a last round where I only placed one mage.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3463 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:59 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 3461, GreyICE wrote:
In post 3459, Equinox wrote:Four of us played Twilight Imperium 4E today, and there was plenty of conflict to go around toward the end of the game. That said, with three of us being new to 4E, it took us ten hours to clear the game.
4 player is also the least conflict-prone, due to the relative map sizes (it's the same size as six player, everyone gets more space). Six player usually has squabbles very quickly. Usually no one wants to commit their entire army, or commit to wiping someone out (there's always better ways to do things) but big fights happen. It does usually follow a trajectory of rounds 2-3 are petty squabbles where a few ships die, 4 is when shit starts heating up, and 5-6 is when people try to take homeworlds and throw huge armies at Mecatol.

What factions were in the game?
Well, it was furthered by two of the factions being Hacan and Xxcha, though it ended in a blaze of fury. I played Naalu, equinox played Sol. A concerted final effort and some magical dice rolls managed to reduce me down to just 3 production so I couldn't win on the final status (also kept hito from winning by taking his homeworld), leading to an Xxcha win.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #3464 (ISO) » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:52 am

Post by Equinox »

In post 3463, zoraster wrote:Well, it was furthered by two of the factions being Hacan and Xxcha, though it ended in a blaze of fury. I played Naalu, equinox played Sol. A concerted final effort and some magical dice rolls managed to reduce me down to just 3 production so I couldn't win on the final status (also kept hito from winning by taking his homeworld), leading to an Xxcha win.
Long live the peace turtles.
Spangled
Spangled
Mafia Scum
Spangled
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3465 (ISO) » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:26 pm

Post by Spangled »

Are Tash-Kalar or Android Mainframe worth getting?
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #3466 (ISO) » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:34 am

Post by PJ. »

Judging simply by BGG, Android Mainframe seems worth staying away from. Game seems not very well liked/popular and is a reimplementation of another game that seems not very well liked/popular.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #3467 (ISO) » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:35 am

Post by PJ. »

I've only heard good things about tash-kalar tho.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #3468 (ISO) » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:47 pm

Post by implosion »

i got close to impulse buying wingspan and then didn't!
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #3469 (ISO) » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:47 pm

Post by implosion »

i still might though....
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3470 (ISO) » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:58 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

ive never played any of stonemaier's games so id love to understand the hype

viticulture looks like a p standard worker placement game
scythe looks like...agricola, with steampunk stuff?
then ive seen people eating their fucking hats trying to get copies of wingspan & tapestry

so can someone pitch me on em
green shirt thursdays
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3471 (ISO) » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:49 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 3470, xRECKONERx wrote:ive never played any of stonemaier's games so id love to understand the hype

viticulture looks like a p standard worker placement game
scythe looks like...agricola, with steampunk stuff?
then ive seen people eating their fucking hats trying to get copies of wingspan & tapestry

so can someone pitch me on em
They're all very pretty and people like pretty games, even if they're pretty standard versions of a genre.

I found Wingspan to be a pretty standard engine builder with very pretty art and components.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #3472 (ISO) » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:52 am

Post by shaft.ed »

the gameplay vids I've watched of all of those games were some of the more boring ones I've seen
though I don't really like worker placement, and engine building games feel pretty redundant just with a different theme slapped on
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #3473 (ISO) » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:43 pm

Post by Vi »

Argent: The Consortium - Trias (6, me) vs. Mannheim (3) vs. Jesca (3)
I am the absolute worst Neutral player in history. I managed to scrape up 2 IP at the end of round 4 for my second merit badge (including the one I started with). While my opening Mark was 2nd Most Influence (I didn't win it). The votes favored me really well; I put my other three Marks on cards that were relevant exactly when I got them and no later (Most Divinity and Most Planar Studies in round 3, Most Mana in round 4), and I correctly called Green going for Most Wisdom (beating them to it) and accidentally picked up Most Int along the way.

The other players have agreed that maybe the best play is to tag-team me in the next game. They insist all of my good sportsmanship and cheering for them is low-key patronizing :/

7 Wonders - Giza (48, me) vs. Ephesus (52) vs. Babylon (46)
Ephesus was the only person who had access to Glass because I stuffed both Glassworks for the inherent hilarity therein. One hand had five cards that required Glass. :V Brown guild was hatestuffed turn 1 before it could get to me (I built a double-Stone, Papyrus, two trading posts, and the basics-for-free card and spent my way to not-victory) and that stopped me from winning considering the wonder guild required Glass. I did selectively torch military cards so I could win that though. All in all a perfectly surreal game.

Ticket to Ride Europe - Black (me, conceded) vs. other scores that were rlly good
I have forgotten how not to suck at this game. Also I get dehydrated when playing board games more than any other activity and that likely didn't help.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3474 (ISO) » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:10 am

Post by popsofctown »

I'm going on a trip to see my cousin soon.

All I want to play is Mage Knights but I know that's too heavy for my itinerary. And then a lot of the lighter things I think of to bring aren't great on the first playthrough (like Race for the Galaxy).

I might fall back on Clank I guess.
"Well, I..."

Return to “The Arcade”