Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #3370 (isolation #0) » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:12 am

Post by popsofctown »

Boards games might be what eventually lures me to one of the scummeets
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3378 (isolation #1) » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:30 pm

Post by popsofctown »

There's no such thing as too heavy I'm so intrigued.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3382 (isolation #2) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:48 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Carcassone for 4$ is a pretty good deal.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3386 (isolation #3) » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:54 am

Post by popsofctown »

Mage Knights quarterbacking doesn't usually feel too bad to me, because people have a hand of cards and that's hidden information relevant to the decisions. People will tell their teammates about the cards in their hand to the extent that it's relevant for cooperation but won't volunteer the contents of their entire hand generally.

I bet that Marvel Universe deckbuilder thing resists quarterbacking some for similar reasons, I've only read about it though.

Hanabi is like, the ultimate form of hidden information prevents quarterbacking, as I understand it.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3390 (isolation #4) » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:00 am

Post by popsofctown »

I'll remember what's in my deck in a ranked game of Dominion or Magic, but memorizing my deck is a bit choreish and I don't usually feel tryhard enough to do that on a tabletop evening.
That might bear relation to why we lost the co-op scenario on the easiest difficulty when I played.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3393 (isolation #5) » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:38 am

Post by popsofctown »

A house rule that you can copy the effect of a tactic with superior priority over the effect of your actual tactic seems good, both of the "mulligan" tactics are priority 2 or 3 and taking the tactic that makes you go last and swapping its effect for the one that makes you go 2nd should theoretically be a trade down.

But playing 2v2 or co-op mage knight is pretty sweet too.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3398 (isolation #6) » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:14 am

Post by popsofctown »

In post 3396, shaft.ed wrote:I finally got my wife to enjoy a board game
but its Code Names in 2 player mode

halp!!
Unfortunately I think that's like the pinnacle of the genre and I'm not sure what you would upgrade to :(
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3401 (isolation #7) » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:34 am

Post by popsofctown »

Probably the latter.

The two player game my nongamer mom enjoys the most is Dominion. It is similar to Codenames in that it is not very adversarial. The rules are a bit more complex than Codenames and the best strategies are a lot more difficult to work out than they are in games she's liked less, which is surprising (Carcassone, Splendor). I think part of it is that she can lose and still have a pretty good time due to the way the game is structured, and the element of chance adds some fun (she gets excited about hitting exactly 6$ when she draws her good cards together while Splendor is very low RNG. Actually come to think of it she asked me to buy Ticket To Ride after a friend taught her and that game is kind of randomier Splendor so I'm even surer that's what it is).

She would probably enjoy Machi Koro too but that has less depth at the top end so I'm not going to risk a downgrade by letting her try that one. It has simpler rules than Dominion if Dominion seems like too much for your wife. Dice instead of cards. In many ways they are actually the same game.

That's my anecdotal data.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3453 (isolation #8) » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:54 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I don't understand legacy games in general
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3457 (isolation #9) » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:50 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Betrayal in legacy format I can see actually.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3474 (isolation #10) » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:10 am

Post by popsofctown »

I'm going on a trip to see my cousin soon.

All I want to play is Mage Knights but I know that's too heavy for my itinerary. And then a lot of the lighter things I think of to bring aren't great on the first playthrough (like Race for the Galaxy).

I might fall back on Clank I guess.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3505 (isolation #11) » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:47 am

Post by popsofctown »

So it was a 3 hour game? That's not that long? Do I have more endurance than normal people or can I not do math across midnight? Maybe both.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3517 (isolation #12) » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:11 am

Post by popsofctown »

In post 3515, Equinox wrote:
In post 3507, PJ. wrote:If it's longer than 90 minutes, it's too long
any game shorter than 120 minutes does not feel like a game was played.
I want to play board games with Equinox!
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3543 (isolation #13) » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:43 am

Post by popsofctown »

I wanna play that game.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3572 (isolation #14) » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:23 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I'm jealous that Vi lives a life where they are playing board games multiple times a week while I play board games multiple times a year :(
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3582 (isolation #15) » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:14 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I think Catan's not that random compared to plenty of games it just feels bad because it has so few nontrivial decisions, besides trading being very complex but in a game theory way instead of a strategy way
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3597 (isolation #16) » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:51 am

Post by popsofctown »

7 Wonders doesn't look like farmland monopoly and people want monopoly. That's why it's always Catan.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3605 (isolation #17) » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:45 am

Post by popsofctown »

MAGE KNIGHTS IS THE BEST DECKBUILDER
"Well, I..."

Return to “The Arcade”