Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
xtopherusD
xtopherusD
Goon
xtopherusD
Goon
Goon

Post Post #853 (isolation #0) » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:28 pm

Post by xtopherusD »

So I played "Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game" at a friend's place the other day with a bunch of comic nerds. I was that one guy who had no idea about the subject matter and just recognised the Avengers and X-Men :oops:

Lots of fun. We had three players who had played it before, one who knew the Marvel stuff but hasn't played any deck-buildings, and I practically knew the mechanics from the similarity to Dominion - and it was equally enjoyable for all of us. It's one of those cooperat-ish games where you all lose together, but if you work together to win, one of you wins "best" and the others still lose. So, naturally, I got to throw the game as soon as someone else was about to take it all.* Never play cooperatish board games with me, apparently.
* It was the second round we played, and this was after a certain game of Arkham Horror where he made sure everyone else was moving through R'Lyeh before winning the game without us. I think we're even now.

I haven't played many deck builders at all but it had good unique play as far as I'm aware. I'd get it myself if other people would play games with me :?

EDIT: Another thing I like about this style of games is that the majority of the rules is found on the cards - same as games like Killer Bunnies or Munchkin. Helps new players get in without an hour of explanation of how
absolutely everything
works.
no.
xtopherusD
xtopherusD
Goon
xtopherusD
Goon
Goon

Post Post #945 (isolation #1) » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:07 pm

Post by xtopherusD »

Just. Just. Use words.

Is it that "train games" are about constructing railroads? And Ticket to Ride is about "claiming" pre-built tracks? Unless it's that distinction, I still have no idea.
no.
xtopherusD
xtopherusD
Goon
xtopherusD
Goon
Goon

Post Post #947 (isolation #2) » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:26 pm

Post by xtopherusD »

So... Yes?
no.
xtopherusD
xtopherusD
Goon
xtopherusD
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1209 (isolation #3) » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:49 pm

Post by xtopherusD »

Found the game store near my new place today, and it's
amazing
. Stood there for 20 minutes just looking at the shelves and spotting games I've heard of before. Plus so many more, and if my brother's to be believed I only saw half of the place.

It puts me in the same boat as BPC. We've got similar game interests (I've played and enjoyed all the ones he mentioned, plus like Robo Rally and some other stuff) but I'd be buying to play with my family. Are there any good
5+
player games that don't involve too much direct attack on each other? Playing Risk Legacy was a nightmare when my mum and sister wouldn't fight each other for anything, but that
could
be a result of the "everything is permanent" format. Since it's for the family, though, looking for anything from ten-minute to hours-long games.

Considering looking at Shadows Over Camelot because it's one of very few that go for more than 4 people. Would that fit? I might need to rewatch the Table Top episode on it.

Also, they have the Star Trek edition of Settlers of Catan. I didn't even know that was a thing. Why is that a thing?
no.
xtopherusD
xtopherusD
Goon
xtopherusD
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1231 (isolation #4) » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:01 pm

Post by xtopherusD »

You guys are awesome! 7 Wonders was today's buy, along with the Science Fiction expansion for Smash Up. We'll see how long it takes before I need more.
no.
xtopherusD
xtopherusD
Goon
xtopherusD
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1234 (isolation #5) » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:16 pm

Post by xtopherusD »

Legendary is definitely on the list! The idea of deckbuilding is not hard to make appealing, but tell them it's Avengers/X-Men/etc. and they're sold.
no.

Return to “The Arcade”