Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #246 (isolation #0) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:42 am

Post by gorckat »

gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #248 (isolation #1) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:45 am

Post by gorckat »

Blood Bowl is an awesome game that is based on American Football. You move minis around a board, passing the football, running with it and tackling opposing players. It is LOADS of fun.

The downsides are those of all Games Workshop games- Official Leagues (or even just games at most stores selling there stuff, iirc) will require official, painted minis and when adding players to your team, you have to buy those minis and paint them. It's a money sink, like Magic is, but not as bad as Warhammer 40K and Fantasy.

ADD: And the teams are Orks, Undead, Elves, Dwarves, Skaven (rat men)...

Double ADD: The card game by Fantasy Flight is wicked fun as well- it simulates the simulation, if you will (card game of board game of real game :P)
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #251 (isolation #2) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:53 am

Post by gorckat »

Don't let my disdain for the company that I sunk a couple hudnred high school bucks into for nothing because they released a revised sourcebook for my army and discontinued half my models and I wasn't allowed to use them in games come through too strong :D

It's really not complicated- the core mechanic GW uses (iirc: roll a d6, add a stat, 7 or higher = success) makes it play easy.
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #253 (isolation #3) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:22 am

Post by gorckat »

In post 252, Zorblag wrote:@gorckat, how much do you personally know about DreadBall? The kickstarter looks fascinating but Troll be slightly leery of games with minatures in general just because of the bother of collecting/keeping up with rules changes and what not.

Not a lot. I just saw it linked on No High Scores today.

The guys doing it are local to Baltimore, and its possible they worked for Games Workshop. One of the guys mentions working with model sculptors and GW is right up the street from their Halethorpe address (Halethorpe is just outside Baltimore and the stomping grounds I was a high school wanna be miscreant in).

Actually, a little Googling says Ronnie was the GW Global Marketing Director at some point.

ADD: One of the guys on their team, McVey, had done minis for GW and WotC, as well.

ADD2: the other two guys on the team also have GW and other design credentials. Whole team looks solid.

ADD3: And much more at one of the guys blogs about rules: http://quirkworthy.com/

Return to “The Arcade”