Magic: The Gathering,GO TEAM MS!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Invisibility
Invisibility
he or she
Jack of All Trades
Invisibility
he or she
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he or she

Post Post #7625 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2019 1:44 pm

Post by Invisibility »

snow lol
Invisibility is actually AWESOME!
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #7626 (ISO) » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:59 am

Post by popsofctown »

I'm going to a sealed grand prix for Modern Horizons. Excite
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Inferno390
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: With the Flying Pumpkin That Shoots Laser Beams Out Of It's Ass

Post Post #7627 (ISO) » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:48 am

Post by Inferno390 »

Some of these cards look really dope
"Do I have permission to....refute some of the bs that Inferno just spewed out?"--TywinL

“Does anyone know if Inferno is prone to going of on huge tangents of twisted logic regarding basically alignment neutral posting? Asking for a friend ...”—MagnaofIllusion

Inferno390 GTKAS

Mafiascum Moderator Society
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7628 (ISO) » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:40 am

Post by popsofctown »

I am excited to play with them in sealed for sure. But it feels natural to be skeptical about many of them keeping up with Modern's blistering speed in constructed play.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Inferno390
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7629 (ISO) » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:40 am

Post by Inferno390 »

Fair
"Do I have permission to....refute some of the bs that Inferno just spewed out?"--TywinL

“Does anyone know if Inferno is prone to going of on huge tangents of twisted logic regarding basically alignment neutral posting? Asking for a friend ...”—MagnaofIllusion

Inferno390 GTKAS

PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #7630 (ISO) » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:23 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 7628, popsofctown wrote:ed to play with them in sealed for sure. But it feels natural to be skeptical about many of them keeping up with Modern's blistering speed in constructed play.
some of these acrds are really really good.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Inferno390
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7631 (ISO) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:01 am

Post by Inferno390 »

So
What are the competitive Standard decks rn?

Inferno390 GTKAS

popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7632 (ISO) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:25 am

Post by popsofctown »

Red deck wins is like 60$ and is tier 1, which is crazy. The eco-system now is red deck wins loses to stuff that is making an honest conscious effort to stop red deck wins, then there's really greedy stuff that goes over the top on the decks making an honest conscious effort to stop red deck wins, and then red deck wins beats the greedy stuff. Gruul aggro is maybe the best deck in that second category (even though it's classified as an aggro deck when you see your opponent is playing red you can use the creatures to block, it's pretty cool how the Riot mechanic works that way), and 4 color dreadhorde is one of the best decks in the third category.

Bant Flash is a really interesting deck from the third category. It has so much card advantage, this crazy oops-I-win angle from Oketra, and you can be playing this creature deck yet make a planeswalker deck feel like it's the one getting "controlled" between the Teferi and the constant potential to cast Frilled Mystic. But strangely this standard format has very few sideboard options for red, even in white, so the deck struggles against red. The Wildgrowth walker package is really good against red, but it is twelve cards so you can't fit the entire thing in your sideboard (if I was playing Bant Flash I might be teeeeempted to).

The red deck in this standard is unbelievable compared to past standard red decks. People don't have room for all the lightning bolts because it's so full of good cards!
"Well, I..."
Inferno390
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7633 (ISO) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:05 am

Post by Inferno390 »

Now I’m really curious as to where my deck lies in all that.

Inferno390 GTKAS

popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7634 (ISO) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:29 am

Post by popsofctown »

Card for card the closest tier 1 archetype to what you're playing is monowhite splash blue, I think. It's advantaged against red deck wins because it gets on the board and blocks well and whatnot, so the blue is for anti-control sideboard cards to try to beat the greedy decks, which outclass it.

If you're really bent on playing a deck that uses kwende I suspect black/white would be better than red/white. Because then you could at least beat red by abusing Sorin, and playing 8 two drops that can trade with Goblin Chainwhirler (malice/grace).
"Well, I..."
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7635 (ISO) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:46 am

Post by DeathNote »

If you wen't to a competitive event, you would likely play between 20 to 40% of your games against RDW. It's the most popular deck in the format and if your deck can't reliably beat it, then you should probably retool it.

Other then that, there are lots of planeswalkers in standard (obviously) meaning control decks are a little different and more sorcery speed and planeswalker attrition. Jeskai walkers, Esper Walkers, Esper Hero, and a 4c Command the Dreadhorde deck are some of the best archetypes.

There are lots of fun subtypes but again, they aren't realistic to play if you can't deal with RDW or Planeswalkers.
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7636 (ISO) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:50 am

Post by popsofctown »

Actually there's a really cute synergy in the red matchup if you have a black white first strike themed deck.

They usually sideboard in Tybalt against people who have lifegain so that you can't gain life. So if you play Sorin and attack with 20 dudes and kill Tybalt that turn you deal a jillion damage and gain no life.

But with kwende you could kill Tybalt with the first strike damage, then start to gain life with the second double strike damage. Tybalt dies before the normal speed damage resolves so you'd gain life the second time.

Kwende and Sorin are both 4 drops so that's a little tricky. It also work if you send a first strike knight at Tybalt and a History of Benalia token at face while you control a Sorin.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7637 (ISO) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:53 am

Post by popsofctown »

At fnm where people tend to play cheaper decks being able to beat rdw is really important.

At higher levels it stays prominent but it's closer to that 20% so you might actually dodge it and that's where decks like Bant do better.
"Well, I..."
Inferno390
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7638 (ISO) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:45 am

Post by Inferno390 »

Hm
If I was to play black white kwende where would I begin?
Probably with the Knights from Dominaria, Kwende, history, and Landing
Maybe a vampire/knight tribal?
Gonna get back to y’all on that

Inferno390 GTKAS

popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7639 (ISO) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:53 am

Post by popsofctown »

Oooh Benalish Marshal is a knight.
You could play with Unclaimed Territory.
"Well, I..."
Inferno390
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7640 (ISO) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:34 am

Post by Inferno390 »

That’s a good idea
Dauntless is also a Knight which is good
And Avrad, Danitha, and Ariel are Knights too
So now I just need a way to spread around some first strike

Inferno390 GTKAS

Inferno390
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7641 (ISO) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:56 am

Post by Inferno390 »

Okay here's what I've got so far:

//deck-1
3 Kwende, Pride of Femeref
2 Nahiri, Storm of Stone
3 Benalish Honor Guard
3 Godless Shrine
4 Legion's Landing // Adanto, the First Fort
4 Isolated Chapel
4 History of Benalia
8 Plains
2 Jousting Lance
5 Swamp
3 Dauntless Bodyguard
4 Unclaimed Territory
3 Knight of Malice
3 Aryel, Knight of Windgrace
2 Danitha Capashen, Paragon
3 Sorin,Vengeful Bloodlord
4 Knight of Grace

//sideboard-1
3 Lyra Dawnbringer
2 Axis of Mortality
2 Arguel's Blood Fast // Temple of Aclazotz
2 Legion Lieutenant
3 Aid the Fallen
3 Elenda, the Dusk Rose

I know this need a lot of work, but it's a start

Inferno390 GTKAS

popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7642 (ISO) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:25 am

Post by popsofctown »

Jousting lance is pretty slow. It's frustrating that History of Benalia Tokens and Benalish Marshal and whatnot don't have first strike but it's probably not worth playing clunky cards. Nahiri seems like it's largely the only tournament viable card that gives creatures first strike, and even she is iffy. But since this deck is less aggressive than your other one she's much less iffy.
If you do run Nahiri you probably want 3-4 copies of the 1/2 white guy who taps a creature. That makes Nahiri able to kill blockers. It turns her from being a dead card against Sultai to being useful.
You'll want the manabase of 4 Isolated Chapel 4 Unclaimed Territory 4 Godless Shrine 11ish plains so you can cast Benalish Marshal reliably. There used to be a deck that did the same thing, but with Warriors and red/green so it could cast Benalish Marshal. 1 Swamp would be the max.
"Well, I..."
Inferno390
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7643 (ISO) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:22 am

Post by Inferno390 »

Version 2:
//deck-1
3 Kwende, Pride of Femeref
3 Nahiri, Storm of Stone
3 Law-Rune Enforcer
4 Godless Shrine
4 Legion's Landing // Adanto, the First Fort
4 Isolated Chapel
2 Seal Away
3 History of Benalia
11 Plains
3 Dauntless Bodyguard
2 Citywide Bust
4 Unclaimed Territory
3 Knight of Malice
3 Aryel, Knight of Windgrace
1 Swamp
3 Sorin,Vengeful Bloodlord
4 Knight of Grace

//sideboard-1
3 Lyra Dawnbringer
2 Seal Away
2 Arguel's Blood Fast // Temple of Aclazotz
2 Knight of the Last Breath
3 Aid the Fallen
3 Elenda, the Dusk Rose

Inferno390 GTKAS

popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7644 (ISO) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:32 am

Post by popsofctown »

That maindeck looks pretty good. I'd rather play that at a tournament than your boros version. Some of the 3's I'd move up to 4 and some of them I'd move down to 2 but it can be fun to discover some of that stuff through playtesting.

The sideboard looks a little guessy. Oath of Kaya is a really good sideboard card that you could maybe even play maindeck that is really nasty for red decks to get hit by. Gideon could be nice for ducking Kaya's Wrath.
There's that creature that says, creatures entering the battlefield doesn't cause abilities to trigger. Monowhite splash blue doesn't run it because they are using Venerated Loxodon (which may or many not be good for your list too, not sure) but your list as written right now doesn't have a single ETB trigger so you could hose Sultai with it without hitting yourself.
For sideboard it's often more important to think about what you are removing from the maindeck and how to replace that rather than what the sweet cards are. I'm trying to figure out what you want to be putting in when you sideboard out Law-Rune enforcer. Maybe Snubhorn Sentry to survive the -2/-2 spell people play in the same decks that don't have stuff to tap.
"Well, I..."
Inferno390
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7645 (ISO) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:19 pm

Post by Inferno390 »

Tocalti Honor Gaurd?
Sure, I run that

Oath of Kaya x3
Tocalti Honor Gaurd x2
Settle the Wreckage x2
Snubhorn Sentry x2
Ixalan’s Binding x3
Conclave Tribunal x3

Inferno390 GTKAS

Inferno390
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7646 (ISO) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:20 pm

Post by Inferno390 »

Maybe something other than Conclave, O just figured it would be good removal in a matchup like Gruul.

Inferno390 GTKAS

Inferno390
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7647 (ISO) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:22 pm

Post by Inferno390 »

In other news, I am home brewing a set.
Once it’s done maybe I’ll share the card text so y’all can mess with it

Inferno390 GTKAS

popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7648 (ISO) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:50 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Conclave Tribunal for Gruul makes sense.
I don't think you can maindeck citywide bust, red deck wins is enough of the field right now that nobody is playing cards that are blank against red deck wins. But I think you could sideboard it. It's good against... drakes? I wouldn't run a ton but it definitely doesn't look like it hits your own guys.

Settle the Wreckage is a scary card to play right now not as much because it's a bad card and not as much because it doesn't combat what certain archetypes are trying to do but because it randomly gets accidentally countered by certain cards. Blue White should probably not keep Teferi, Time Raveler in against you but if you're going to an FNM they probably will cause he's fun and he says "Settle the Wreckage does nothing". Gruul Spellbreaker also says "Settle the Wreckage does nothing" so it's bad in that matchup too. Then red is too fast for it.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7649 (ISO) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:52 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Monowhite splash blue actually has absolutely nothing in the 75 that can interact with a Knight of Malice outside of combat.

Maybe you could run Militia Bugler to find it and then voltron cards to exploit it.
"Well, I..."

Return to “The Arcade”