Magic: The Gathering,GO TEAM MS!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Inferno390
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: With the Flying Pumpkin That Shoots Laser Beams Out Of It's Ass

Post Post #7775 (ISO) » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:35 am

Post by Inferno390 »

Here's my current decklist for post rotation. Not liking my chances with the new tribal nerf coming out, but we'll see what it can do.
I'm leaving in the blue, despite your concerns. Why, you may ask? Because the deck is actually pretty consistent and can go to 5 and still win without much trouble. Honestly Risen Reef is one of the win conditions of this deck because it generates so much value so quickly with the other cards in here. And once I hit two I can quickly end the game from there. On top of that Thunderkin Awakener can revive them, which opens up some really cool possibilities, meaning it doesn't hurt me as much if I lose one or two early on to removal.

Honestly Awakener is just disgusting in this deck. Between the combos with Scampering Scorcher and Risen Reef and how busted it can get with Omnath in play, It has the potential to generate a ton of value late game.

Example: Risen Reefs and Thunderkin Awakener, Omnath in graveyard and in hand. Cast Omnath, punch biggest creature, get two lands in play, Pump Awakener twice, combat, bring in Dead Omnath and sac him to Legendary rule, but not before getting two more Risen Reef triggers and punching something else in the face.
And that's just one example of this deck popping off.
"Do I have permission to....refute some of the bs that Inferno just spewed out?"--TywinL

“Does anyone know if Inferno is prone to going of on huge tangents of twisted logic regarding basically alignment neutral posting? Asking for a friend ...”—MagnaofIllusion

Inferno390 GTKAS

Mafiascum Moderator Society
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #7776 (ISO) » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:52 am

Post by InflatablePie »

the thing I like about this Standard 2020 event on Arena is that I've been playing with the same ~54/60 cards for the past few months anyway (4 lands, Cast Down and tryin out some fun-ofs - sideboard is all rotation-proof) so I don't have to bother tinkering with a super new deck. mana's actually not too bad, despite ~9 ETB-Tapped lands, since usually turns 3 and 4 are casting 2/3cmc cards anyway. drawing one of em on turn 5 with a Bolas in hand still sucks tho, as does us not getting better fixing in Eldraine. :(

went down to only one 3cmc Chandra because the flashback is most useful (as I rarely get to rush a Bolas ultimate nowadays with the loyalty-0) and I never really want to draw two in the same game. decided to run a miser Drawn For Dreams instead for some more mid/mid-lategame tempo as the deck can kinda flounder sometimes. running Angrath's Rampage in Ranked seemed to bring out all the Tamiyos and token decks but it's done work in this event so far. and I'm running two Shimmer over Anticipate (because Teferi) or Discovery/Dispersal (Surveil 2/Draw feels clunky compared to seeing 4 cards and I've cast Dispersal maybe once). sideboard has two Duress, another Negate, some Noxious Grasps and Frys, two Ashiok, two Unmoored Ego, and some number of Disfigure/Elderspell/Flame Sweep. Aether Gust is under consideration, as is a second Ugin (either in side or replacing Lili).

despite it turning on your opponent's removal, I wonder if Grixis wants to try an Amass strategy, with Widespread Brutality (1BRR Amass 2, deal damage to creatures = Army's power), Enter the God-Eternals (lifegain definitely helps Grixis), Commence the Endgame (probably too expensive) and Callous Dismissal (only really for enchantments, Grixis can deal with most everything else). Dreadhorde Invasion and Lazotep Plating (1U Amass 1, you and your permanents gain hexproof til EOT) for the control matchups?
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #7777 (ISO) » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:20 am

Post by McMenno »

I actually like brawl. and I liked edh too, and wish they would ban sol ring, although I know that's never going to happen
mafiascum is on life support
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #7778 (ISO) » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:50 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I enjoyed the MtGArena brawl event. The Jund deck was the strongest as far as I could tell. I don't see any reason I couldn't enjoy playing 1v1 brawls. But converting Standard players to 1v1 Brawl players loses them money, and converting EDH players to 1v1 Brawl players seems impossible, so I'm skeptical.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do

Post Post #7779 (ISO) » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:31 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

Bant was insane with the amount of ramp, Jund was also fun. couldn't get the hang of the Esper deck to save my life.

McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All

Post Post #7780 (ISO) » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:22 am

Post by McMenno »

with this new spoiler:

knight: viable? which colours: RW, WB or WBR?
Inferno390
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7781 (ISO) » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:54 am

Post by Inferno390 »

What about white green?
"Do I have permission to....refute some of the bs that Inferno just spewed out?"--TywinL

“Does anyone know if Inferno is prone to going of on huge tangents of twisted logic regarding basically alignment neutral posting? Asking for a friend ...”—MagnaofIllusion

Inferno390 GTKAS

McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All

Post Post #7782 (ISO) » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:01 am

Post by McMenno »

I don't really see what green brings to the table
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7783 (ISO) » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:33 am

Post by popsofctown »

WB(R?) seems like a definite for tier one or tier 2. Midnight Reaper is such a card. The previous environment had some unusual ways it was being hostile to such a powerful standard card, but "Rogue Refiner that synergizes with Creatures instead of energies" seems like it ought to be a big deal most of the time.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #7784 (ISO) » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:53 am

Post by Micc »

I feel like Field of the Dead based ramp is still going to go so far over the top of linear creature decks that they won't be viable. That's just me theorizing about what I think I know though. I haven't actually played enough standard to have any real idea where things will line up after rotation.
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7785 (ISO) » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:30 am

Post by popsofctown »

You don't need to go over the top of that which you can get underneath. Trade two Smitten Swordmasters into infinite zombie tokens,
cast Find, return Smitten Swordmaster and Smitten Swordmaster, Curry Favor, Curry Favor. Maybe that's optimistic.
"Well, I..."
Inferno390
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7786 (ISO) » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:36 am

Post by Inferno390 »

I wonder if I could get away with field of dead in my temur deck
It’s a bit of a nonbo with Chandra, but I think the value could be worth it

Inferno390 GTKAS

Inferno390
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7787 (ISO) » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:41 am

Post by Inferno390 »

Actually what do you guys think of my current deck list in general? I’m still looking to fine tune a little bit. I think shock is kind of weak in the deck among other things.

Inferno390 GTKAS

popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7788 (ISO) » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:36 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Maybe Wishing Well??
"Well, I..."
Inferno390
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7789 (ISO) » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:46 am

Post by Inferno390 »

That might be pretty good

I've been playing this deck a lot recently. I just finished a game where I cast Thunderkin Awakener with one Omnath and 4 Reefs (and a few other bodies) on the battlefield, put 3 counters on the Awakener, cast a second Omnath from my hand and immediately saced it for a slap in the face for 9, pumped my Awakener even bigger, went to combat and brought back Omnath and saced him for another 9. On top of which I had 9 Zombies sitting back as blocks thanks to double Field of Dead

Notes:
Wtf is Field of Dead in this deck. It actually plays really well because the games where I'm winning off of Field I never need Chandra, and the games where I win of Chandra I'm playing her so early it's not really affecting my boardstate.
Actually wtf is this deck in general. There are so many angles once the synergies go off that I've basically won if I can get 2 of any combination of Rare/Mythic Chandras, Scorcher, Risen Reef, Overgrown, and Thunderkin Awakener in play. The value I end up creating is just so disgusting.

Inferno390 GTKAS

Inferno390
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7790 (ISO) » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:12 am

Post by Inferno390 »

In other news, I will be getting my hands on quite a few cards for my Multhy commander I’m thinking

Inferno390 GTKAS

Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #7791 (ISO) » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:39 am

Post by Micc »

In post 7789, Inferno390 wrote:Notes:Wtf is Field of Dead in this deck.
Never underestimate the power of lands that have spells tacked onto them. Field of the dead is at the very least a pillar of the format, and might just be the most powerful card in standard right now.
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7792 (ISO) » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:57 am

Post by popsofctown »

In post 7791, Micc wrote:
In post 7789, Inferno390 wrote:Notes:Wtf is Field of Dead in this deck.
Never underestimate the power of lands that have spells tacked onto them. Field of the dead is at the very least a pillar of the format, and might just be the most powerful card in standard right now.
CMC 0 cards can be powerful in magic wtf get out of the thread
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7793 (ISO) » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:58 am

Post by popsofctown »

Seriously though Field of the Dead is like, super Celestial Colonnade in terms of slotlessly adding a wincon to a deck and definitely should be format sculpting at minimum.
"Well, I..."
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do

Post Post #7794 (ISO) » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:28 am

Post by InflatablePie »

In post 7787, Inferno390 wrote:Actually what do you guys think of my current deck list in general? I’m still looking to fine tune a little bit. I think shock is kind of weak in the deck among other things.

this is what I've been messing around with in the 2020 event as well

3cmc Chandra, as much as I love her, is weaker in a deck without many instant/sorceries. could be useful in the sideboard because it's good against control? Cloudkin Seers can still pressure PWs and provide card advantage, and works well with Risen Reef/Awakener. Scampering Scorcher has felt awful for me against things like 2/2 zombies from Field and Kasmina Wizard tokens when I've drawn it in my deck, how does running the full four feel in yours?

Neoform has done work for me. obviously feels bad in Bo1 against counterspells though. I was going full Pod and trying out one-ofs like Skatewing Spy and Zegana due to the amount of +1/+1 counters that are used in this deck, but sometimes you can't rely on 4-6 Omnaths for removal so I'm begrudgingly running
only
30 creatures. also considered Cavalier of Gales again but Risen Reef/Cloudkin draw so many cards already, I'd rather re-draw an Omnath/Spark Double/Chandra.

writing this post I realized that maybe I want the 4th Druid over 4th Trailblazer yeah?

Inferno390
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7795 (ISO) » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:50 am

Post by Inferno390 »

I personally really like the four Scorchers, but I think your deck is much more tempo whereas mine is a sort of aggrieved-tempo, which could have a huge impact on how you use the cards.

If you really want to take full advantage of Risen Reef in this deck, I highly recommend working your mana base around field of dead. Maybe cutting Thorns for it as well? It feels like you’re really stretching your mana base for three green especially in a three color deck.
I’ve also found you can get away with two copies of each dual land and the deck is fine. It’s not always totally consistent, but if you open with blue mana in hand and a way to get risen reef out, you’re almost guaranteed to fix your mana pool from there.

Inferno390 GTKAS

Inferno390
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7796 (ISO) » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:53 am

Post by Inferno390 »

I’ve also been fine tuning the deck a little it so it is of note that I am playing something slightly different now. I’ll post it later.

Inferno390 GTKAS

InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do

Post Post #7797 (ISO) » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:57 am

Post by InflatablePie »

mine's more combo-aggro, I suppose

the deck's manabase can't afford colorless sources. shocks are too good to cut for tempo reasons, and the scrylands are just too good for setting up Risen Reef triggers and the like. even if its for stuff like gainlands and Gates. 2CCC needs 18 green sources and my deck runs 16, not counting the Leafkin Druids - if you count mana creatures as half-sources, it should be fine. plus druids can fix for GG pretty easily. plus sometimes it gets Neoformed for, although not often (unless I'm casting another Omnath anyway or something).

also Risen Reef seems pretty fully taken advantage of since you get a trigger for each Elemental and it seems that all of my creatures are
checks notes
Elementals. in FotD decks it sometimes cycles and eats a Shock, I'm more afraid of Circuitous Route unless they resolve two Reefs or something.

4 Druids/3 Trailblazer is working slightly better, especially since Trailblazers are more of a lategame boost/Awakener target (with a counter on it from Overgrowth/Omnath). [edit] doing math over manabases after checking the above article again, not sure if I wanna cut a dual for a basic. UR for G might be pushing it, but UG for R might be better. gonna cut a Temple of Mystery for Mountain for now

popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7798 (ISO) » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:43 am

Post by popsofctown »

I was hoping a deck based around adventures would be viable tier 1, but now that the spoilers are almost over it seems like there's not enough good adventure cards for that to be true :(
"Well, I..."
Inferno390
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7799 (ISO) » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:46 am

Post by Inferno390 »

I don’t understand why there isn’t a rule where if you have two functionally identical cards in everything except name, you can’t substitute them in rotating formats.

Inferno390 GTKAS

Return to “The Arcade”