The Pokemon Nuzlocke Thread

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #493 (isolation #0) » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:38 pm

Post by sirdanilot »

Alright, I started one of these too ! Standard nuzlocke rules, basically, except that I can't use two pokemon of the same species on my team (more because I find it lame than because I find it a challenge) and also no legendaries.

Main team:
Image Cornelis the Totodile - lv 10
Totodile is pretty good and blasts away most things with water gun right now.
Image Gert the Geodude - Lv 11
Seriously, Geodude is * the * best. I was very happy that I indeed encountered it on the route above the first one. Nothing can maim it (heck even Bellsprout's Vine Whip didn't hurt that much because it's a physical move) and it's pretty strong with Rock Throw. The only downside is that it hardly ever moves first because it's so slow, but it learns Rock Polish to take care of that, though honestly I hardly ever use it.
Image Govert the Gastly - lv 10
When you go to the sprout tower at night, you have a huge chance of running into Gastly. Though its moves are crap right now (well, it does learn hypnosis but it has to Lick its enemies to death which is quite time-consuming), it will get much stronger later on. It is very fast so it usually moves first.

Back-Ups
:
Joop the Hoothoot - lv 3
Jaap the Hoothoot - lv 3
Karel the Rattata - lv 5
Though I might be inclined to use rattata if I can't find anything better, I really prefer to stick to the more original pokemon. Same goes for hoothoot: it learns Hypnosis which is quite nice, but I'd much rather get another pokemon. Currently aiming for Spearow.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #496 (isolation #1) » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:15 pm

Post by sirdanilot »

^ There are some rules of thumb for this. Firstly, spam potions. You don't want to run ANY risk of your pokemon dying, if it's a valuable one. So if it is within 2x the KO range, potion it, because a critical hit WILL kill it (crits are 2x as powerful as normal attacks). Also, grind. Now it's lame to grind you pokemon excessively (not to mention sadistic for yourself), but you don't want to be underleveled at all.

My main problem right now is that Govert the Ghastly can't hit the flying gym pokes as its only attack is Lick. But I suppose Gert the Geodude can take care of that :D
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #497 (isolation #2) » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:19 am

Post by sirdanilot »

FUCK I just lost Philippe, my Togepi. It was at full health but an Ekans bit it to death with a critical hit. Very sad now, but perhaps it's for the better as its defenses are really low.

I caught a zubat (Jean-Luc) but not sure yet if I'm going to use it. Still aiming for a spearow.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #499 (isolation #3) » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:09 am

Post by sirdanilot »

^ No I didn't know about that. To me seems to take away from the game play. If I would want to make this nuzlocke thing harder, I'd add restrictions such as no pokécentres, no boxing of pokemon, things like that.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #500 (isolation #4) » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:09 am

Post by sirdanilot »

Update:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT I FOUND A SCYTHER AT THE BUG CATCHING CONTEST !!!! There's only a five percent chance of encountering it, and FUCK YES THE FIRST ENCOUNTER WAS A SCYTHER ! If this thing dies I'm going to be extremely pissed off.

Oh, and I killed Sudowoodo. On purpose. And I enjoyed it ;)

Main team:

Image Cornelis the Croconaw - lv 21
I learned it headbutt because I tried to get a Heracross (sadly in vain) from headbutting trees. It's actually his strongest attack now because water gun just doesn't really cut it.
Image Gert the Geodude - lv 22
Seriously, Geodude is * the * best. I was very happy that I indeed encountered it on the route above the first one. Nothing can maim it (heck even Bellsprout's Vine Whip didn't hurt that much because it's a physical move) and it's pretty strong with Rock Throw. The only downside is that it hardly ever moves first because it's so slow, but it learns Rock Polish to take care of that, though honestly I hardly ever use it. With magnitude and Rock Throw, it can basically hit anything and do good damage too.
Image Beatrix the Scyther - lv 19
This thing is just so bad ass. It's extremely rare to get a scyther on your first try in the bug catching contest (5 percent chance). Even though its best move is fucking Pursuit, it can still hit very hard with it. How cool is that? I also gave him the U-turn TM which is a reasonably powerful bug move that switches you out. I like to use it instead of, well, simply switching, because it certainly packs a punch.

Backups:
Nidoran-Female - Seriously considering using this now as it gets a nice movepool and typing. Needs a lot of grinding though.
Zubat - It's sitting in the day-care now, though I'm not sure if I will use it. Crobat is a pretty good pokemon, but so... standard.

Deceased
Image Govert the Gastly - Route 36
He truly was a faithful companion, killer at catching pokes with Hypnosis and Night Shade and laughing in the face of pokemon with only normal-type moves. Killed by an alakazam that outsped me and OHKO'd with confusion...
Image Philippe the Togepi - Slowpoke Cave
He had a lot of potential with the ridiculously powerful move Extrasensory (basically a poor man's Psychic). However, his defenses were just too low.
Image Kenya the Spearow - Route 36
Fucking whore of a Clefable. That double battle with the Clefables and Wigglytuffs is pretty fucking hard and frustrating because they absorb all attacks with their immense amount of fat. Luckily we managed to save the Mail from Kenya's corpse. I'll avoid the gave who gave me it.

Now off to Goldenrod City to grab Bill's Eevee. Not sure what I'll evolve it in, I might make it happy and let it evolve into Espeon. Vaporeon is usually better, but I already have a water pokemon. Jolteon is another option. Umbreon and Flareon suck.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #502 (isolation #5) » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:35 am

Post by sirdanilot »

I don't really have a problem with grounds because Scyther is Flying/Bug. Admittedly it's weak to rock, though, and most ground types know moves like rock throw. But to be honest Croconaw can blast most ground types away with Surf.

I wanted to go for Espeon, but it takes a long time to get the happiness up. It learns confusion at level 15, but if I reach that level before it evolves it won't learn it....
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #504 (isolation #6) » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:50 am

Post by sirdanilot »

^Yep, I cycled up and down Goldenrod (wasted about 45 mins of my life on that, but oh so worth it) and it evolved into Espeon allright and learned confusion !

Update:

Epic warstory at the ghost gym ! Scyther was slaughtering Ghastly's with Pursuit, until Gengar came in. Wow, a level 25 Gengar. It outsped scyther and used hypnosis, and Shadow Ball almost OHKO'ed Scyther. Between being asleep and within 2x the OHKO range (a critical hit is 2x normal damage and I don't want to risk losing a SCYTHER because of one), I decided to switch to the - until then - completely useless Joop the Hoothoot. A level 4 Hoothoot. Gengar used Mean Look and Hypnosis, and I used the time to heal scyther with items. But I discovered that Gengar couldn't hit Hoothoot at all ! Shadow ball doesn't work, and because I didn't really attack it (hoothoot only knew tackle), Sucker Punch didn't work either. So I decided to wear Gengar out until it had to use struggle to kill hoothoot. Then I sent in scyther and killed gengar with pursuit.
Funny thing is that I did actually hit Gengar with Tackle a couple of times. Hoothoot knows Foresight, and if you use foresight then tackle you can hit gengar with tackle. It only did one damage though as hoothoot was only level 4.

Hoothoot died a very heroic death. So long ! Now I only have two Hoothoots left :lol:

Main team:

Image Cornelis the Croconaw - lv 22
It blasts every single thing away with a killer moveset of headbutt, surf, bite and Ice Fang.
Image Gert the Geodude - lv 23
Seriously, Geodude is * the * best. I was very happy that I indeed encountered it on the route above the first one. Nothing can maim it (heck even Bellsprout's Vine Whip didn't hurt that much because it's a physical move) and it's pretty strong with Rock Throw. The only downside is that it hardly ever moves first because it's so slow, but it learns Rock Polish to take care of that, though honestly I hardly ever use it. With magnitude and Rock Throw, it can basically hit anything and do good damage too.
Image Beatrix the Scyther - lv 23
This thing is just so bad ass. It's extremely rare to get a scyther on your first try in the bug catching contest (5 percent chance). With Wing Attack, Pursuit and U-Turn (tm), it can hit anything for quite a bit of damage. If things get too hot, it can U-Turn out safely while still dealing major damage. It is also a killer poke catcher with false swipe.
ImageIvo the Espeon - lv 21
Took me blood, sweat and tears to evolve it at level 15 (if you evolve it later, it misses out on confusion and doesn't learn a good psychic move ever again until a very high level meaning it's essentially useless). But it pawns with confusion !

Backups:
Nidoran-Female - Don't think I will use this anymore, unless I fuck up and lose half my team or something.
Zubat - It's sitting in the day-care now, though I'm not sure if I will use it. Crobat is a pretty good pokemon, but so... standard.

Deceased
Image Joop the Hoothoot - Ecruteak City Gym
I never ever used him, he was sitting in my party doing nothing for the entire game up until his death. See above for the epic warstory.
Image Govert the Gastly - Route 36
He truly was a faithful companion, killer at catching pokes with Hypnosis and Night Shade and laughing in the face of pokemon with only normal-type moves. Killed by an alakazam that outsped me and OHKO'd with confusion...
Image Philippe the Togepi - Slowpoke Cave
He had a lot of potential with the ridiculously powerful move Extrasensory (basically a poor man's Psychic). However, his defenses were just too low.
Image Kenya the Spearow - Route 36
Fucking whore of a Clefable. That double battle with the Clefables and Wigglytuffs is pretty fucking hard and frustrating because they absorb all attacks with their immense amount of fat. Luckily we managed to save the Mail from Kenya's corpse. I'll avoid the gave who gave me it.

Now off to Goldenrod City to grab Bill's Eevee. Not sure what I'll evolve it in, I might make it happy and let it evolve into Espeon. Vaporeon is usually better, but I already have a water pokemon. Jolteon is another option. Umbreon and Flareon suck.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #505 (isolation #7) » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:11 am

Post by sirdanilot »

HOLY FUCKING SHIT I JUST CAUGHT A FUCKING TAUROS !!!!!!!11
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #506 (isolation #8) » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:21 am

Post by sirdanilot »

FUCK
THAT
FUCKING
HITMONCHAN

AAAAAAAAAAAARGHF;KJFSDJ;KLFDSAFADKJ;LFDAJ;KL
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #507 (isolation #9) » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:13 pm

Post by sirdanilot »

Erm... My Zubat is now level 35 (!) because of the Day-care... Is it ethical as per Nuzlocke rules to use it, or should I wait till my other pokes are at about that level?
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #509 (isolation #10) » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:24 am

Post by sirdanilot »

Nah I decided to wait as my three pokes that actually don't die (scyther, tauros and geodude) suffice for the moment. I'll need to raise a water poke for the olivine gym (geodude can handle the magnemites but not a Steelix) and then I'll be fine.

Good news: I caught another tauros. Yes, on the route to the safari zone. What are the odds of that? Tauros is incredibly rare ! Should tauros die, I can simply raise the other one. I almost caught a kanghaskan (went into the safari zone and first thing I saw BAM kanghaskan) but alas it fled.

Bad news: Tried to raise a tentacool, I got it killed. Then caught a mareep, tried to raise it but it got killed by a FUCKING POLIWAG. Then I tried to raise ANOTHER tentacool but it got killed as well.... I did catch a poliwag which I could use, or I could go and catch myself a krabby (the rock smash rocks in cianwood city contain Krabby and sometimes shuckle, though the latter is very rare and honestly not very useful as it can't really attack for shit).
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #514 (isolation #11) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:58 am

Post by sirdanilot »

I don't grind that much. For example, against the Red Gyarados (level 30) my highest level poke was level 25. I sadly lost a geodude in that battle, but honestly I just went to dark cave and caught anotther (60 percent encounter rate of geodudes there). Or well, I did but then my emulator crashed. I have told myself that I have the right to go back and catch a geodude though, because that's lame. Now if I was playing on a handheld adn the battery died, alas that'd be my fault, but not a stupid emulator crashing...

I will have to train it from level 4 to level 25, which will be a pain but that's why DesMuMe has the 'fast forward' button, haha.

In fact it's so extreme that I can't use any poke that's at a higher level than the current highest poke in my party, which is now level 25 or so. So I can't use gyara till all my pokes are at about 30. Same goes for the level 35 zubat that had been sitting in the day care for too long. I think this adds a nice little extra challenge to the Nuzlocke concept.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #518 (isolation #12) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:51 am

Post by sirdanilot »

It depends on your team, though. Like for the Fighting gym I had scyther to rape everything, so I managed well below Chuck's level. But now I am going to face the steel gym and my main pokes can't even dream of hurting any steel pokemon. Staryu (yes I caught one !!!!) is still at too low a level and actually I want to find a waterstone before I battle the gym, and geodude is at too low a level too.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #529 (isolation #13) » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:17 am

Post by sirdanilot »

I do have a nintendo DS here somewhere but honestly I never ever use it. I only have pokemon Pearl on it. I don't see any reason to buy the newest pokemon games (black and white), because the pokemon suck in those games. Just look at this atrocity: Image
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #531 (isolation #14) » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:22 pm

Post by sirdanilot »

^ It's not the best looking RBY pokemon, but at least it has the power of simplicity which the ice cone pokemon lacks.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #537 (isolation #15) » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:19 am

Post by sirdanilot »

In post 532, animorpherv1 wrote:
In post 531, sirdanilot wrote:^ It's not the best looking RBY pokemon, but at least it has the power of simplicity which the ice cone pokemon lacks.

Here then:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/661226-/64072420

Not a very high quality thread in my opinion.

Though I agree that Dewgong and Seel are horrible pokemon. I even think the gen II spheal and walrein are better pokemon than that, because spheal is ridiculously cute and walrein is infinitely cool.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #540 (isolation #16) » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:26 am

Post by sirdanilot »

I'll do a better update when I get home, but here a quick one.

I keep losing every single Water pokemon I train. First I had my starter croconaw, lost it, after that I have lost two tentacool, one poliwag and one staryu (the latter was pretty sad as staryu is a rare pokemon). I now have a poliwhirl, they can be caught in most towns with a body of water and I hadn't caught anything yet in most of them because I got there before I got surf.

Aside from that I have lost my second geodude... Stupid weezing exploding ! It'll take quite a while before I can get another geodude as I have caught something in every area that contains one. Geodude is basically the only viable bulky ground pokemon, as onix really, really sucks and sandshrew is not in SoulSilver. Phanpy is another good option but I can't get it until after blackthorn, it's ridiculously rare anyway. Hopefully I get a swinub in the ice cave to beat the dragon gym; I have already beaten the ice gym and am now wiping out Team Rocket.

Scyther is going strong with wing attack, u-turn and pursuit; tauros is at max happiness and I picked up the return tm last sunday, meaning it now has a very powerful STAB move.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #542 (isolation #17) » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:52 am

Post by sirdanilot »

I caught my geodude in the route right after the town you begin in and also one in dark cave. Safari zone I encountered kanghaskan but it fled, mt mortar I caught another zubat, mahogany town I encountered a koffing I think though it exploded, the bastard. I think I got a rattata or something stupid like that in union cave.

Wait a minute, I remember something now ! In Ruins of Alph there are rock smash rocks which should probably yield plenty of Geodude. I waited entering ruins of alph (or at least the wild pokemon areas) until I could get to the spot where you can catch Natu, but now I'm seriously considering just getting another geodude there. It's that good.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #543 (isolation #18) » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:37 pm

Post by sirdanilot »

Holy fucking shit I lost ANOTHER FUCKING POLIWHIRL
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #544 (isolation #19) » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:38 pm

Post by sirdanilot »

I stil have a kingler (though it's a cool poke I really don't want to have to use it) and the red gyarados, I'm just gonna use the latter for the time being. Once I get the fishing rod I can fish something up in Cherrygrove city or some place dumb like that.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #545 (isolation #20) » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:30 am

Post by sirdanilot »

Good news: I got my Poliwag and Graveler up to acceptable levels, though poliwag needs some more training until it becomes a poliwhirl and I still need to find me a water stone somewhere.

Very bad news: I LOST SCYTHER ?!!?!!!1!!!!!!?!!!!! Why? Because those stupid DRATINI from the dragon gym trainers happen to know a move that didn't exist in gsc: DRAGON RUSH. A ridiculously overpowered move, and it critted OHKing my scyther instantly. As I don't have any steel pokemon this is going to be quite difficult a gym to beat. Gyarados knows twister, and I taught poliwag Blizzard, but still this is not gonna be easy at all.

What I could do is get me a Heracross from a Headbutt tree somewhere. Still, heracross sucks ass compared to scyther and that's definitely saying something as it's by no means a bad poke. Alternatively I could just get my level 40 something zubat from the day care. Neither will do too much against the dragon gym though. I also have a swinub which I could level up, but it's not going to work against that Kingdra.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #547 (isolation #21) » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:30 am

Post by sirdanilot »

^I just discovered that gyarados indeed learns icefang at level 33 or so. Now I'm much more confident for the dragon gym !

Still, my pokes are at about level 34 or so while the gym pokes are much higher than that. I think I need to grind a few more levels before having a shot
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #548 (isolation #22) » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:05 am

Post by sirdanilot »

Wow. I beat her, but I lost the red fucking gyarados from lake of rage and a tauros. Though honestly I still have a tauros in my box and I could catch a gyarados any day of the week.

Now I'm going to the dragon den to get that wicked dratini :D
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #554 (isolation #23) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:02 pm

Post by sirdanilot »

My real, restart-less nuzlocke stopped not with the Dragon gym (though I did lose some good pokes there, like Scyther), but the trainer in the dragon's den AFTER the gym. First it killed my Poliwhirl with thunder (WTF SINCE WHEN DOES DRAGONAIR KNOW THUNDER), then it killed my Graveler with Surf (WTF WTF). Thats the first ragequit I did.

I still intend to at least continue to the poke league, but I'm a bit less cautious now and occasionally ragequit. At least I got pretty far with the 'real' nuzlocke :P
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #559 (isolation #24) » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:47 pm

Post by sirdanilot »

Psychic, fighting and dark are excellent secondary typings for the starters.

However, I have lost my enthousiasm for new pokemon since black and white. At some point, the franchise is just churned out so much that it's not fun anymore. With black and white, they reached that point. I do like the d/p games, but nothing newer than that.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #561 (isolation #25) » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:31 am

Post by sirdanilot »

D/p had some kind of interesting game mechanic in introducing physical and special moves of any type (before that, some types such as water/dark/psychic etc where always special, and others like bug/normal/fighting/ghost etc. where always physical). B/w had no game mechanic changes at all. Neither game had a very interesting storyline, though D/P was a tad more interesting IMO. What I also liked about D/P was the presence of old pokemon during play-through, rather than ONLY new pokemon. The complete absence of old pokemon in b/w made it quite stale. Also, D/Ps pokemon feel more pokemon-ish and more original. Which is logical as they were earlier and thus had more ideas to fit in, though there are definitely duplicates in there such as sphinx/elektrike, kricketot/volbeat, burmy/pineco, pachirisu/minun, lumineon/everyfuckinggenericwaterpokemon... Despite these duplicates, though, there are some excellent pokemon such as drifblim, lopunny, hippopotas, just to name a few. Bidoof even got its own internet meme !
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #566 (isolation #26) » Wed May 01, 2013 11:16 pm

Post by sirdanilot »

Bug pokemon like Heracross, Scyther, Pinser are excellent choices for a nuzlocke, though they are often hard to get. Venomoth is also excellent as it learns psychic, and ninjask is awesome. I wouldn't use Shedinja for a nuzlocke (though in principle you get it for free anyway), because many pokemon know shit like Astonish, Bite and stuff like that which kill Shedinja in one blow; if you consistently check movesets through bulbapedia or some other site first, though, it can easily rape entire teams.

Other than that, bug pokemon are not very good. Beedrill, Ledyba, Mothim, Kricketune... all pokemon that suck. The only one I kind of like is Butterfree because it learns confusion. Paras is somewhat cool for having spore, but it can easily die in one blow by anything fire, flying or the gazilion other things that hit it for super effective damage.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #570 (isolation #27) » Sat May 04, 2013 10:24 am

Post by sirdanilot »

OH MY FUCKING HELL OH MY WHAT THE WHAT THE WHAT THE LOOK AT WHAT THE FUCKING HELL I JUST CAUGHT

Well not just because I already grinded it 10 levels. But still, it's a SHINY GOLBAT ! In all of the many years I have played pokemon, never have I once encountered a shiny one. It was a historic moment indeed; I was on some stupid long-haul bus, playing pokemon because I had nothing better to do, when I came across this beauty. I called her the dutch equivalent of Theofilus. She will replace the other Golbat that was already in my team.

Current moveset is Wing Attack, Poison something, Confuse Ray and Bite. Thinking of replacing w.a. with Fly as it has 90 base power versus 60; while grinding I am keeping w.a. though, as fly is very annoying to grind with and has less pp.

In other news, why not go over the rest of my team:

Vanesa the Dragonair: Water Fall, Thunder Wave, Extremespeed, Dragon Rush. The latter is a ridiculously overpowered new dragon move that basically kills anything if it hits (though it has poor accuracy)
Olof the Tauros: Take Down, Zen Headbutt, Payback, Rest. Rest may be a bit useless in pokemon league as I will just be spamming items, but oh well. I will replace Take Down with Return as soon as it is at maximum happiness.
Gerrit-Jan the Graveler: Earthquake, Rollout, Rock Polish, Rock Blast. Might replace one of the rock moves with something else, though the movepool of this thing is not amazing.
Peter-Paul the Poliwhirl: Surf, Hypnosis, Blizzard, Body Slam. Might replace Blizzard with Ice Beam if I can get the TM somewhere. I want to evolve this thing into Poliwrath badly, but Water Stones are nearly impossible to get in this game before the elite four.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #576 (isolation #28) » Sun May 05, 2013 10:56 am

Post by sirdanilot »

In post 573, Brandi wrote:^wrong, mewtwo's new form is adorable and infinitely better looking than normal mewtwo.
She will replace the other Golbat that was already in my team.
Poor normal colored golbat :(

(congrats though!)
Meet Jean-Luc, the normally coloured Golbat.

Jean-Luc is a sad Golbat. She was not caught in the best of circumstances; her owner already had a good team of pokemon, and was looking for a Slowpoke in Slowpoke Well to add to the team.
Sadly, no Slowpoke appeared. Jean-Luc, a measly normally coloured Zubat, did. Though she was caught, she was never wanted in the first place. Her owner did not even notice she was a she-bat, and just gave her a random name off the list.
Soon, she was dumped in the day-care center, where her owner forgot about her for almost the entirety of his journey. Frustrated and alone, she was dedicated to bulk up, growing well into the level fourties.
After her owner suffered a large massacre at the dragon gym, her time to shine came. She was put into the main team and quickly evolved to Golbat. However, never would she become a full team member. She was burdened with the humble task of airlifting her owner everywhere he wanted to. In the victory road cave, she had hardly any use, being unable to beat the plethora of Gravelers and Onix there.

Then, the day of her doom struck, as in all her shine and splendour, Godelieve appeared. A beautiful, green-coloured Golbat, well into the level thirties, astonishing to behold.

Jean-Luc is still, to this day, on the main team. She is still burdened with the task of flying everywhere. And she is a bitter Golbat.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #577 (isolation #29) » Mon May 06, 2013 11:02 pm

Post by sirdanilot »

Using an app with the ridiculously stupid name 'MyBoy!', I got Pokemon Emerald to work on my phone ! It works perfectly and feels almost like ye old Gameboy Advance. I started a nuzlcoke but I got completely wiped out at the rock gym due to Nosepass CHing my Mudkip to death with Rock Tomb and killing off the rest of my team, leaving me with nothing but a level 2 wurmple and a cascoon that only knew harden. I decided to call the Bullshit Clause and just ragequit; I beat the gym with no losses next time.

Team (can't really look on my phone now so by heart):
Leliepad, lv 15 Lombre. It rocks with Absorb sucking the life out of anything.
Slijvis, lv 13ish Mudkip. Watergun and Mud Slap yo.
Staluw, lv 13 ish Taillow. It already knows WING ATTACK HOLY SHIT THAT THING IS BROKEN. However it has crappy defenses. Also quick attack ftw.
And a Marill that I don't really want to train but will keep as a back-up.

I wanted to catch a nincada but I accidentally killed it with a critical hit D:

This one will be slow as I will only play on my phone if I don't have my computer with me. It's usefull when I am travelling or I forgot my laptop charger somewhere (like I did this week.....)
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #626 (isolation #30) » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:38 am

Post by sirdanilot »

In post 607, SleepyKrew wrote:If the area is accessible prior to the Gym then go for it.

Also, we decided that the only two places in Emerald with the same name that count as different places are the Desert and whatever route it's on (this means that 104 counts as one Route).
I have considered the desert and the route it's on as one place. The only pokemon you can find on that route outside of the desert is Geodude (by using Rock Smash). And give me a geodude over a useless cacnea or sandshrew any day ! Though baltory/trapinch is definitely nice to have as well. You can catch trapinch in the tower where you can get the fossils I believe. I don't count a fossile as a pokemon (the place where you bring it to life is where you 'catch' it imo).

My all-time fave go-to pokemon when a nuzlocke is going tough:

Geodude. I like to have this guy on any team. It never dies unless an asshole pokemon carries mega drain or a water move unexpectedly, it's one of the few failproofs against explosion, and you can easily get a new one if it dies. Earthquake is just awesome.
Tentacool. It's ubiquitous and not a bad pokemon by any means, sponging special hits. Bad movepool, but Surf and perhaps TM blizzard or something is usually enough.
Zubat. Turning it into a crobat is a bit tedious, but at least it always goes first and wing attack is a good move.
Gyarados: If you can catch lv 20+ magikarps, a rare candy is enough to get an almost broken-good poke instantly. Otherwise I just dump them in the day care first.
Poliwag: It can be found in any city with a little lake, and it's quite good, especially if you can get a water stone to make poliwrath. Sadly in heartgold/soulsilver it's nearly impossible to get a water stone before the E4, but still poliwhirl is quite decent.
Whismur: Is guaranteed in the hoenn games in the whismur cave, and to be honest it's quite a good attacker which won't die due to a single hit.
Taillow: This thing is really good, though it's actually not that common as most generic bird pokemon. You can only get it in the first few routes. Doduo/spearow/starly (especially the latter) are pretty good too and more common in their respective games.
Linoone/raticate: These are pretty decent pokemon and you're bound to catch one along the way.
Machop: it's available in most games and quite strong. Failing that, mankey/hariyama make good substitutes.
Butterfree/beautifly (fucking rip-off)/dustox: In the early game they are quite good with confusion and gust and throwing around status, resisting fighting, grass and bug is also good. They won't be useful later on in most games, but at least they will have enabled you to get to new areas with new pokes to catch.

I haven't nuzlocked the sinnoh games, but I really liked floatzel in those games on normal runs, which is also quite common. And bronzor as it doesn't die too easily and is reasonably common.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #657 (isolation #31) » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:01 pm

Post by sirdanilot »

Wow, clefairy ! It's net terribly useful, but in a nuzlocke I would 100% use it just because it's so rare. It does learn most TMs making it useful to cover some weak spots your team can't hit.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #659 (isolation #32) » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:31 am

Post by sirdanilot »

Wow I hate HGSS' lack of Waterstones and TM Icebeam pre-E4. I can't evolve my poliwhirl this way (bar trading which seems to be nigh impossible on emulators as you need a non-wireless connection or something), and getting enough coins in the game corner for a TM ice beam is virtually impossible even when speeding. Blizzard makes do, but the missing is very annoying.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #668 (isolation #33) » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:47 pm

Post by sirdanilot »

In post 661, SleepyKrew wrote:dani:
What about the Pokeathalon dome thing?
I think I read somewhere that though you can get a water stone as a prize there, it's only post E4. But I'm not entirely sure.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #702 (isolation #34) » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:01 am

Post by sirdanilot »

I just lost my emerald nuzlocke at the Normal gym. I had no idea that Linoone would have Belly Drum, and I failed to KO it with just a few HP, after which I only had slower pokemon and it raped my team.

I still have the soulsilver 'nuzlocke' going on, as in, every time that I fail to beat the E4 I just ragequit, in a sense it's not a true nuzlocke anymore.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #707 (isolation #35) » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:56 am

Post by sirdanilot »

YES

I FINALLY beat the Elite Four on my endless soulsilver nuzlocke. Though I did reset a couple of times, I held true to the other rules of the nuzlocke. I lost my Slowbro and my Poliwhirl in the fight, but my Graveler, Tauros, Shiny Crobat (yes I was lucky for the first time in >10 years of playing pokemon) and Dragonite survived.

Now I'm on the ship to kanto and I'm way, way overlevveld (>lv 50). Oh well. I'll have to add two new pokes to my team anyway which will be underleveled when I catch them. The only poke worth using in my box is a tentacool, but that's boring. I want something more exotic than a tentacool, even though it's not a bad pokemon by any means.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #708 (isolation #36) » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:57 am

Post by sirdanilot »

yeah that was a bump by the way. I reckon lots of nuzlockes will be starting with the advent of pokemon x/y.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #710 (isolation #37) » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:16 am

Post by sirdanilot »

If I had the game, I'd definitely nuzlocke it, which would be a ridiculously hard challenge for a game you don't know at all. Though there seems to be a wide variety of strong available pokes early game, so maybe it's not that hard.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #712 (isolation #38) » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:29 am

Post by sirdanilot »

When I nuzlocke, I can catch shinies. That's my nuzlocking rule. Hence I have a shiny crobat on my nuzlocke team.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #725 (isolation #39) » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:35 pm

Post by sirdanilot »

My parents got us a gameboy 'fridge-style' (you know, that enormous yellow thing that took gazillions of batteries) for pokemon Yellow, a gameboy colour for pokemon silver, a gameboy advance for pokemon sapphire and I believe I got myself a DS for pokemon pearl (though my parents might have paid a part of it). This sounds like I was an extremely spoiled child, and perhaps I was slightly but I shared the thing with my brother so honestly, it's nothing normal working-class parents couldn't pay once every few years. Though in hindsight I would probably not have given my children so much stuff they don't really need, not because of the money but because of the feeling you give them that they can get anything they want if they nag about it enough. I knew other kids who got much more stuff though (such as a gameboy for every child or something), so yeah...

I myself have probably only bought the DS and nothing else. I just play the games on emulators. If black/white wouldn't suck, I would buy one of them as they can run on my ds (actually I'm not completely sure about that?).
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #726 (isolation #40) » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:13 am

Post by sirdanilot »

OH FUCK MY MAGNETON DIED FUCK FUCK FUCK
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #728 (isolation #41) » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:04 am

Post by sirdanilot »

^ How old where you when RBY came out?

Right.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #730 (isolation #42) » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:25 am

Post by sirdanilot »

I remember that I sat on the toilet when first booting up pokemon yellow... good times.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #731 (isolation #43) » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:26 am

Post by sirdanilot »

But yeah Gen V sucks. Not so much the storyline (which is reasonably good) as much as the horribly designed pokemon.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #735 (isolation #44) » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:38 pm

Post by sirdanilot »

Only staryu and starmie would fall under the definition 'horribly designed pokemon' out of that list, as you can't really relate to them due to lacking a face. The rest are very simply designed pokemon that fit their purpose; a shapeless blob that can transform into anything, and a toxic sludge pokemon. If you want to come with bad RBY pokemon, come with something like Seel or something (though even that thing has fine simplicity).

My main criticism for pokemon B/W (and to a lesser extent pokemon X/Y) is that the pokemon lack the simplicity of those in the RBY games and after that up until the D/P games really.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #739 (isolation #45) » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:41 pm

Post by sirdanilot »

In post 737, Psyche wrote:
Only staryu and starmie would fall under the definition 'horribly designed pokemon' out of that list, as you can't really relate to them due to lacking a face. The rest are very simply designed pokemon that fit their purpose; a shapeless blob that can transform into anything, and a toxic sludge pokemon. If you want to come with bad RBY pokemon, come with something like Seel or something (though even that thing has fine simplicity).
Are you seriously trying to suggest that Ditto and Muk reflect the ideal pokemon design.
Then what is wrong with them? Their shapeless blob shape serves their purpose perfectly. They do not need to be any more complicated.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #741 (isolation #46) » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:41 pm

Post by sirdanilot »

sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #743 (isolation #47) » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:15 am

Post by sirdanilot »

Yep those are abysmal as well. Wow...
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #751 (isolation #48) » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:21 am

Post by sirdanilot »

Another effect that you guys seem to ignore: you were the first to do an obvious thing, you are not being cheesy. But if you are not the first, you are. For example, Lord of the Rings is not cheesy by any means, but any RPG-like story with elves and dwarves after that is kinda cheesy.

That's why shapeless blobs like Muk are good, but shapeless blobs like Swalot who came later aren't (yes, Gen 3 actually had some pretty bad pokemon, often worse than Gen 4).
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #754 (isolation #49) » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:41 am

Post by sirdanilot »

Pretentious? In what way?

And yes, in some ways, Gen IV was cooler than gen III; I would put them about at equal level on the scale of coolness.

Return to “The Arcade”