NetHack

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:21 am

Post by chamber »

I'm really bad at this game. Made it to the 2nd floor once out of like 6 tries. <_<.
Taking a break from the site.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:19 am

Post by Ythan »

This is probably the best single article on WikiHack for a new player.

http://nethack.wikia.com/wiki/Role_difficulty
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:53 am

Post by Ythan »

The leprechaun drank a potion of invisibility.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:13 pm

Post by Ythan »

You can get all kinds of nifty pets really early on with a wand of polymorph.

What's everyone's favorite role?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:29 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Personally, I like the Knight. The Lance and starting with a mount is really neat. Wizards would be second, since spellcasting usually works out for me.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:57 pm

Post by Ythan »

I found this program called hearse that trades your bones files to a server for other bones files it has received. You get someone else's bones like on NAO without having to play on NAO.
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:36 am

Post by Claus »

Hearse is pretty cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVmAG0RXmo
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:58 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

If people like this kind of game, it's worth mentioning that there was just a new version of ADOM released.

http://www.ancardia.com/download.html

This one just a new version with some bugs removed, but he's currently running a kickstarter campaign to make some real improvements to the game
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:24 pm

Post by VisMaior »

OK so. I am preparing for my ascension run for the first time(Val-dwa-law). I am sitting on top of a 1:2 /oWish and a blessed magic lamp. I need to decide how to proceed.
In particular: should I make some b?oChargings for my death wands? I have 4 c?oGD is that enough or should I make backups?
I have a +5 Excalibur dualing with a silver sabre, but I also have just received frostbrand. Should I switch to FB, or is Excalibur good enough? I am particularly attached to the level drain resist.
I also have helmet problems. Should I wish for a helm of brilliance, or is a +7 elven hat good enough? (My int is at a measly 8)
Currently no pets. Should I get one? What flavour? I could wish for an archon, or marker?
HALP!
"logic is in the eye of the beholder" -LyingBrian in Eyewitness 1
"correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the CHANCE of something happening always 50% (either it will or it won't)?" -LyingBrian in BJs Wild West mafia
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:26 pm

Post by VisMaior »

Oh yea, should I go for a jumping boots instead of my bots of speed?
"correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the CHANCE of something happening always 50% (either it will or it won't)?" -LyingBrian in BJs Wild West mafia
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:44 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Frost Brand is one of the best weapons in the game. I think it's second only to Greyswandir. You're a Valkyrie, so you shouldn't care at all about intelligence. Generally, metal helmets are better, because they protect from falling rocks and stuff, but I don't remember how likely that is. Just make sure it's greased so that Mind Flayers can't use their insta-kill attack on you. And the same for your cloak, so eels can't do the sam.

What armor and medallion are you wearing?

I don't know that pets are worth it, since I don't think it's worth waiting for them to catch up with you after you kill Rodney. I think you get a free archon pet when you reach the astral plane anyway, and you won't really need one before then.

As for wishes, do you have everything you need for the ritual? Make sure you have seven candles. I like to save at least one Wish for the run, in case Rodney curses/destroys something.

Boots of Speed are great, but I don't remember if they stack with intrinsic speed. If they don't, jumping boots are better- and strictly faster, if you jump everywhere, but that uses up nutrition fast, I think. I usually have a Ring of Slow Digestion anyway, but you probably want to double-check a spoiler to be sure.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:59 am

Post by VisMaior »

Ok so is level drain resistance not that good? Metal helmet can be +5 , elven hat +7. Mind flayers and eels are genocided. I am wearing sdsm + mr cloak + "oLS.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:47 am

Post by VisMaior »

Also, Should I throw mjollnir around and get better at it, or should I stick to a stack of elven daggers?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:27 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I think Mjollnir is the better ranged weapon, but I'm not sure you really need one. It's useful to have, though. Do you have divine protection? Wands of Dig can be really useful, too, but you can pick those up off Minotaurs in the labrynth.

Might want to double check the spoilers, but I think the Valkyrie artifact grants protection from level drain anyway.
Shamrock
Shamrock
Mafia Scum
Shamrock
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:01 am

Post by Shamrock »

Level drain resistance is mostly unnecessary because the MC3 from your cloak will stop 99% (or some very high percent) of attempts to level drain you.

Int shouldn't really matter as a valk as long as you aren't going to get instakilled by mind flayers. The elven helm is fine.

Pets are unnecessary, I've ascended 5 or 6 times and never used a pet past the first few levels.

Keep boots of speed, they are better than intrinsic speed.

What rings do you have? You need levitation for the air and water planes, conflict is very useful on astral, and free action is worth having too.
Two chainz, four bracelets. Let me see that ass clap, standing ovation.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:13 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Conflict is a really useful ring on Astral, but remember that if you're wearing Conflict when you enter the Astral plane, you get attacked by 4-6 Angels instead of getting an Archon pet. That probably won't matter, since a Valk with +5 Frost Brand can probably one-shot them anyway. Levitation is a must, free action is useful, and slow digestion is convenient. I don't think most other rings are worth bothering with.
Shamrock
Shamrock
Mafia Scum
Shamrock
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:06 pm

Post by Shamrock »

Teleport control is great if you find a bunch of tengus or whatever to try and get teleportitis. Otherwise, yeah, that's about it for rings.
noraaa
noraaa
Goon
noraaa
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:23 pm

Post by noraaa »

Engineers accepted the word “planetary” in its epicyclic sense, but I was always conscious that it also meant “wandering,” “erratic.”

Compassion, Common Sense, and Context should always go together.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:21 am

Post by VisMaior »

Ok. After reverse-genociding wraiths I reached lvl30. I have 305Hp. is that enough? Should i try to nursedance? I still have lots of healing potions. keep for emergencies or quaff for max hp? What other potions should i keep?
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:45 am

Post by VisMaior »

I decided to quaff. now i got585 hp.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:29 am

Post by VisMaior »

I have enchanted frostbrand to +6 and the silver sabre als to +6. Is it worth trying for +7?
Shamrock
Shamrock
Mafia Scum
Shamrock
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:44 am

Post by Shamrock »

If you have scrolls/marker charges to spare, but it's not really that big of a deal. I assume your armor is maxed out? You should be more than fine, the game is really not that hard from here on out unless you do something stupid.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:49 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Yeah, if you've got MC3, reflection, life saving, two good weapons, and divine protection, then about the only thing that should kill you from here is carelessness.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:15 am

Post by VisMaior »

Wohoo, Im on the astral plane! Unfortunately I forgot to remove conflict :| The plane of water is an ass, moving the portal like that. I was so relieved that I finally found it that I forgot the conflict thing.
Now I only have to pick the right altar...
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:49 am

Post by VisMaior »

YAY ASCENDED!
I must say this was really fun. At the end it became really easy. I found 4 amulets of Life saving and polypiled for another 4 . I had 10 tins of nurse meat for emergencies as well(they didnt come). I used almost every trick in the wiki. I had some 10 wands of death but only needed something like 5 shots (killey Rodney 3 times, but missed him once. Killed pestilence once.) I had even more wands of teleport but really needed something like 8 shots. I was very close to 80000 turns when ascended. Unfortunately no screenies, as this is the android version. :(

Return to “The Arcade”