The Cubing Thread

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Llamarble
Llamarble
Mafia Scum
Llamarble
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:07 am

Post by Llamarble »

I am not a speedcuber, but am acquainted with 4 different former world record holders (two for 3X3, one for blindfold, one for 7X7) and another person who helped coach Will Smith in Pursuit of Happyness.
Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:49 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

In post 47, Llamarble wrote:I am not a speedcuber, but am acquainted with 4 different former world record holders (two for 3X3, one for blindfold, one for 7X7) and another person who helped coach Will Smith in Pursuit of Happyness.

That is awesome, I've always wanted to meet someone in real life who is faster than me. I know very few speedcubers, and they were only speedcubers because I taught them how to solve. I kinda live in the middle of nowhere.

They always told me that I was ridiculous, but I knew I didn't even touch the boundary of skill. and to go to a competition would be just AWESOME.

Now that I'm into cubing again I would like to go sub 20 averages.

(Tutorial Part 1.1 coming later)
Although the border between madness and genius is very narrow.

"I am so totally obsessed with you. You caught me." - Tracy
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:53 am

Post by CooLDoG »

In post 28, mb53 wrote:I've always wanted to do this but have been too lazy to.

Same. I might dig out that old Christmas gift if I feel like it.

Also, this thread is a lot more funny than it should be.
after a wank.
Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:24 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

3x3x3 CFOP Tutorial: Part 1.1

WTF is CFOP?

CFOP stands for, "
C
ross,
F
2L,
O
LL,
P
LL". It is currently the method used by the fastest solvers in the world and by Feliks himself. CFOP is a layer based method. It is extremely useable because of a low move count (Less turns, less time), easy transitions, being able to solve multiple problems at once, applicable to other cubes, and a few other things that I'll dive into.

Let me give you a layout of what a CFOP cube solve chornologically looks like,

Cross: Yellow Cross, sorry I couldn't gray the rest of the cube.
F2L: Then we proceed after the cross up into the second layer.
OLL: After our F2L we would create a solid U face, like the white in this.
PLL:Then all we would have left after OLL is the outer ring on the U face, shown here.

And our Cube is solved.

I'm going to explain the basics of each layer, and then for my next few sections on the tutorial I will go indepth with each part.

Cross: The cross is an entirely intuitive part of the cube. Later on it will become the only intuitve part of the cube, everything else will be entirely memorization, dexterity, and recognition. It is the place where we build our framework for the rest of the cross. It is vital to realize that the centers of each face will never leave their spot. Just the pieces around them. Regular rubik's cube have the color scheme of (Blue across from Green, White across from yellow, Red across from orange) There are techniques used during this part of the cube, but there is no algs for this. However, there is quite a bit skill needed in being able to recognize the right color to start on. In the beginning of your solve, in competition, you have 15 seconds to look at your scrambled cube. If you can make the most out of that 15 seconds then you will have incredible times. I cannot stress enough that you
NEED TO START ON MORE THAN ONE COLOR. DO NOT RESTRICT YOURSELF BY USING ONLY GREEN OR ONLY WHITE OR ANY SINGLE COLOR.
The reason for the above being, when you only use a single color for your cross, then if that color has a bad cross, then you are screwed. If you are able to use any color, then you can get a nice cross and a nice cross time. It is called being Color neutral, and if you don't learn you that you need it when you start, then it is incredibly difficult to change later. There are very few reasons why you would actually want to be a single color oriented, but the advantages of being Color neutral outweigh them. It is funny because even though the cross is extremely important, it eventually will drop down to a perfect level of 2 second crosses. Or even lower. I am currently at 2 second crosses. I am also color neutral (Even though I was uninformed color nuetrality was important. Luckily for you, I told you now.)

F2L: The F2L is composed of Four slots, after your cross your edges of your cross will connect with the center of each face, creating 4 open corner and edge pieces on the first two layers, and the entire U face should be randomized. There are two ways of solving this part and I will go in depth with both. One is intuitve and one is not. However, I recommend learning the intuitve first, because even though it is slower at first, you udnerstand what you are doing. There are only 3 algs for the intuitve. There are 42 for the other. Those 3 algs do the exact same thing as the 42. Once your first two layers are complete, you are ready to move onto OLL.

OLL: OLL stands for Orientation of the Last Layer. This refers to the stickers on top of the U face, it creates a solid color on top. The way that OLL is solved is through algorithms that you will have to learn.
However, in this tutorial, I will show you a 2 step method to solving OLL using only 7 simple algs (2-Look OLL). Most people don't learn Full OLL until after they have learned everything else. I still do not know full OLL. Working on it though.

PLL: PLL stands for Permutation of Last Layer> After OLL all you have is the side of the U face, there are 21 algorithms for this layer. However, like OLL, PLL has a 2 look method too. I personally skipped 2 look and learned all 21 algs. However, I will start out with the 2 Look PLL algs and then continue them into all 21. Note: PLL have specific Permutations with names. They have letters. Such as the J-Perm or the U-Perm.

CFOP is a great method. It is the most used method by speedcubers. However, there is no such thing as a fastest method, the speedcuber themselves define the speed that they go. I guarantee you that you will be satisfied with your times if you listen and perform CFOP properly.

I will also note that many of you can easily surpass me in speed. All you need is practice. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Thank you for reading, again I am just writing these as I go along, if you have any questions feel free to ask. Next installment will get us rolling on actually solving the cube. Thanks again.
Last edited by Robocopter87 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:03 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

If you are determined to solve it only once. Heck, go with Dan Brown. If you are determined to solve it below 30 seconds, then go with CFOP.

CFOP isn't particularly easy from the get go, especially if you don't know what you are doing and have never solved before, but I guarantee it is worth your time if you wish to be fast.

Not only that but you have to factor in the fact I've never written a guide for solving the cube. I can teach a person if they are right in front of me, and I've taught quite a few.

VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:34 am

Post by VP Baltar »

In post 29, VisMaior wrote:I can do it, but Im hungarian, so its expected of me.

^missed opportunity
YOUR AD HERE

Too busy with work to play mafia right now but I shall return some day!
noraaa
noraaa
Goon
noraaa
Goon
Goon

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:43 am

Post by noraaa »

I've fiddled with them before, but I can't solve them. (yet?) Someone I used to date liked them, so I kept one around for him, and would scramble it up. I also knew someone (not closely) who was really into solving different sizes of cubes and if I recall he might have even made one of his own. You can do that, right?
Engineers accepted the word “planetary” in its epicyclic sense, but I was always conscious that it also meant “wandering,” “erratic.”

Compassion, Common Sense, and Context should always go together.
Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:40 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

noraaa wrote:I've fiddled with them before, but I can't solve them. (yet?) Someone I used to date liked them, so I kept one around for him, and would scramble it up. I also knew someone (not closely) who was really into solving different sizes of cubes and if I recall he might have even made one of his own. You can do that, right?

Yeah you can do that. It isn't really super common, but people like the cube for different reasons, maybe he liked the cube for design.

Got a decent solve on camera. Pretty crappy quality.

Should have been sub-20. But the camera kinda made me a bit jittery.

That is what me solving a cube looks like.

Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:44 pm

Post by Amrun »

I can't even play Tetris, so I will probably never even attempt this unless my friends force me so they can laugh at me. >.>

Also, waht.
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Fusion Mafia, ongoing now.
Kcdaspot
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:53 pm

Post by Kcdaspot »

.... I have never solved a rubik's cube.. ever.

and i have a cousin who solved one side. that's it.

mandatory waht
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:41 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

Look, it is a very easy thing to do. You just have to erase the idea it is impossible. It was impossible when you were 8, but you can easily comprehend it now.

Also, I get the same frikkin answers all the time

-I could never solve it in like 2 years
-I know a guy who does it in like 2 seconds
-I have one at home but you couldn't do it because I've been scrambling it for years
-You must sit at home and constantly do it
-Are you a genius?
-
I can only get one side (The amount of these beats the rest by infinity)

esuriospiritus
esuriospiritus
they/ask
I Reject Your Corporeality...
esuriospiritus
they/ask
Pronoun: they/ask

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:12 pm

Post by esuriospiritus »

I got two sides once. I was super excited until I realized I had no idea where to go from there, accidentally messed up one side, and couldn't figure out how to get it back the way it was. xD
First you get your wings back. Then you learn to fly.

noraaa
noraaa
Goon
noraaa
Goon
Goon

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:40 pm

Post by noraaa »

mmn, tetris.
Engineers accepted the word “planetary” in its epicyclic sense, but I was always conscious that it also meant “wandering,” “erratic.”

Compassion, Common Sense, and Context should always go together.
Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:26 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

Honestly, you can get a nice minx online, for not that ridiculous of pricing either.

Also, if your interested in a little more mobile yet still quite challenging puzzle, try the Square -1.

Junpei
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:47 pm

Post by Junpei »

Woa what the heck! My cousin has one of those and I've held it and laughed because it was "an impossible to solve rubix cube gag gift". I just didn't know how to turn it...
The melody of logic always plays the notes of truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA41ggsdeXE
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:04 pm

Post by VisMaior »

Also, maybe you should do a writeup for beginners, who dont want to speedcube, just solve the damn thing for once.

Ill do that myself, if its ok to you.
"logic is in the eye of the beholder" -LyingBrian in Eyewitness 1
"correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the CHANCE of something happening always 50% (either it will or it won't)?" -LyingBrian in BJs Wild West mafia
Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:05 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

In post 81, VisMaior wrote:Also, maybe you should do a writeup for beginners, who dont want to speedcube, just solve the damn thing for once.

Ill do that myself, if its ok to you.

Of course, have at it.

I'm no leader here, I just love this hobby.

chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:33 pm

Post by chesskid3 »

On a more serious note, I can do one in about a minute.

But that's after a few years of not doing it. Finger memory ftw.
Papa Zito - "Your signature has been blanked...we remove signatures at a users request if said signature references them, or if it quotes from a thread in the Speakeasy, which is not allowed without permission of the poster"
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:06 pm

Post by VisMaior »

OK cube solving for beginners.

1. Taking a look

If you want to solve the cube, the first thing you need is to take a good look at it. YOu need to realize a few things.
1. its not made of faces, instead its made of small cubes. For example, if you can make the white face, you need to look at the small cubes that make up teh big one(from now on cubules). We will

separate the cube into 3 layers. The top layer, the middle layer and the bottom layer.
2. the middle squares never change place. They are fixed.
3. There are only 2 types of cubules apart from middle faces: edge and corner cubules.

2. The cross

Chose a color. (For some reason, 70% chose white in this step, so I assume you chose white)
Now that you chose one, we will define directions.
White is pointing to the top
opposite to white (usually yellow) is pointing to the bottom
others point to the sides.
Top layer: the white midpoint and all cubules adjacent
The bottom layer: the midpoint opposite to the white middle (usually yellow), and all adjacent cubules
The middle layer: all cubules not in the previous 2.
If you look at the cube from the side, then you can see the layers easily.

Lets start making the white face. The cross is when on the white face all edge cubules are in the correct position.
Edge cubules have only 2 colors, so you have to move all edge cubules with one white and one other color onto the edge between the white and the other color middle.
This is 4 cubules total. This should be the easy part, solvable by anyone.

at the end you look at something like this:

Code: Select all

x w x
w w w
x w x

And from the side

x g x
x g x
x x x

where w is white, g is some other color (green) x is placeholder for whatever color.

3. the white corners

The white corner cubules can be in any of the 8 corners of the cube. You need to move them to their correct places in the correct direction.
1. the corner is in the bottom layer, and the white face faces to the side. This is the easiest.
a-Place the cubule under its correct place by twisting the bottom layer.
b-twist the side the white is now facing so that the corner cubule remains in the bottom layer
c-twist the bottom layer so that the cubule goes back to its former position
d-do the opposite twist of b
Or in illustration
1. twist bottom until it is under its location, result:

x w x
w w w
x w x 
-------
x g x | x r x
x g x | x r x
x x w | r x x

2. twist green, result:

x w x
w w w
x x x 
-------
x g x | x r x
x g g | w r x
w x x | x x x

3. twist bottom, result:

x w x
w w w
x x x 
-------
x g x | x r x
x g g | w r x
x x g | w x x

4.twist green, result:

x w x
w w w
x w w 
-------
x g g | r r x
x g x | x r x
x x x | x x x

2.the corner cubule is in the bottom layer but white faces down - you need to twist this so you will end up with case #1. here is how
a. place the corner under any top corners that are not correctly placed yet.
b. look at it from the side. Twist the side face
c. move the corner away by twisting the bottom layer
d. do the opposite twist as b
3. the corner is in the top layer - we twist this that we end up with #2 or #1
a. twist a side so that the cubule ends up in the bottom layer
b. twist it away by twisting the bottom layer
c. do the opposite twist as 1

---The first layer should be done by now.----

4. the second layer

If you managed to do the forst layer, take a look at the cube. You shuold notice that the second layer only consists of 4 edge cubules. We will use an algorithm that changes a cubule in the

middle layer with a cubule in the bottom one, without disturbing the top layer.
The basic idea is, that we take a corner cubule out of the top layer, then put it back from the other direction.

Look at the cube from the side. It looks something like this:

g g g | r r r
x g x | x r x			
x x x | x x x

Now we want to look for the edge cubule that has g|r on it. There are 3 cases 2 of which are actually mirror cases, so Ill handle them as 1.
1. the g|r is in the bottom layer
Check what color looks to the side on it. Place it so , that it can line up with the appropriate middle with 1 twist of the bottom layer.
Now you twist down the W corner cubule to the bottom layer and twist it away by twisting the bottom layer. Note that this twist should do the lineup mentioned before.
Twist back the white edge. Teh white face should now only miss 1 white, while the g|r shuold be lined up with the remaining white corner cubule on one side.
Now twist away the white corner cubule again by twisting the bottom layer. Twist down the white line that has the missing cubule. There are 2 such lines, so chose the one that has not

been twisted so far. Twist the white corner back to its place, and twist the white line back.

Or in figures:

g g g | r r r | b b b
x g x | x r x |	x b x		
x x x | x x x | x R x

Where the capital r is the r face of r|g edge cubule

now twist the g face

x x g | w r r | b b b
x g g | w r x | x b x
x x g | w x x | x r x

twist bottom

x x g | w r r | b b b
x g g | w r x | x b x
w x x | x r x | x x x

twist g

g g x | x r r | b b b
x g x | x r x | x b x
x x w | r r x | x x x

twist the bootom again

g g x | x r r | b b b
x g x | x r x | x b x
r r x | x x x | x x x

now twist r

g g w | r x x | b b b
x g w | r r x | x b x
r r x | x x x | x x x

twist bottom back so w matches again

g g w | r x x | b b b
x g w | r r x | x b x
x x w | r r x | x x x

twist r to fix w face

g g g | r r r | b b b
x g g | r r x | x b x
x x x | x x x | x x x

2. the g|r is on the middle layer: use #1 to switch it with any other edge in the bottom layer, then goto 1.

5. the bottom layer edge orientations

If you look at the bottom layer, you will see one of four possible orientations for edges. All yellow is already set, so the other 3 are:

x y x
x y y
x x x

look at the side that is adjacent to a yellow

g g g
g g g
x x x
-----
x y x
x y y 
x x x

What you have to do, I call the goalpass.
twist the middle row down (the leg) twist the bottom away (the pass) twist the leg back up, the ball should go to the other side, then the leg comes down, and the ball attaches to the leg, then

it goes back up.
leg
. | .
. | .
. V .

pass
. . .
. . .
< - -

leg up
. ^ .
. | .
. | .

ball to the other side
. . .
. . .
- - >

. . .
. . .
- - >
leg
. | .
. | .
. V .
catch
. . .
. . .
< - -
leg up
. ^ .
. | .
. | .

Be careful that the ball goes AWAY from the yellow in the pass step.
This will result in this

x y x
y y y
x y x

2. the yellows are opposite

x y x
x y x
x y x

YOu can apply #1 to end up with the formation in #1
3. no yellows
YOu just do #1 twice.

6. the bottom layer edge positions

NOw that all bottom layer edges are the correct orientation, we apply the correct position without disturbing any of what we have so far algorithm.
Again, you have 2 possibilities, when you look at the bottom.

1. one edge is in correct position

. c .
n . n
. n .

Where c is a correct position, and n is not correct. This can still happen in 2 ways, but one is the mirror of the other, so I assume one, and you should be able to do the other.
assume that we have
. c .
1 . 2
. 3 .
and we need
. c .
3 . 1
. 2 .
look at the side so that the cubule labeled c is facing you
The following will be used later too, so do remember it(needs a name, how about "allaround twist"):
. . |
. . |
. . v

. . .
. . .
< - -

. . ^
. . |
. . |

. . .
. . .
< - -

. . |
. . |
. . v

. . .
. . .
< - -

. . .
. . .
< - -

. . ^
. . |
. . |

And you should be set. YOu can do this in reverse order to twist in the other direction, or do the same with left right switched.
2. there are 2 corrects and 2 that need switching
. c .
1 . c
. 2 .

You simply twist the bottom layer once to end up in #1.

3. opposites are correct
. c .
. . .
. c .

Do #1 once. Now you should end up with a config similar what #1 starts with
7. the bottom layer corner positions

OK so this I call the goalpost
Again, you have multiple possibilities that really are just the same but mirrored and such.
1. 1 corner is ok, 3 are not
Have
c . 1
. . .
3 . 2
need
c . 3
. . .
2 . 1

Look at the side so the correct one is facing you on the bottom left.

g g g
g g g
c . 1

now goalposts
| . |
| . |
V . V
The ball
. . .
. . .
- - >
Up one post
^ . .
| . .
| . .
Ball back
. . .
. . .
< - -
Up the other post
. .^
. .|
. .|
Ball away again
. . .
. . .
- - >
Down first post
| . .
| . .
V . .
Ball back
. . .
. . .
< - -
Up first post again
^ . .
| . .
| . .

You can do it in the mirror or twice for a rotation in the other direction
2. all are wrong position
have
1 . 2
. . .
3 . 4
need
4 . 3
. . .
2 . 1

Do #1 twice.

8. the bottom layer corner orientations

For this Ill use the algorithm in 6, awkwardly named "allaround twist"
What we do is make a twist one way and repair the other way.
The corners can be oriented in pairs. We will look at one pair, then the rest can be solved by repeating this step.

So 1 pair can be off-orientation 2 ways, but one is again, the mirror of the other.

so assuming we want to orient these:

x . .
. . .
x . .

Look at the side like this
. . .
. . .
x . .

now do the allaround twist, then do it again in the mirrored version.
Done.

If anyone can follow, please say so. Otherwise Ill need to rework it a bit...
Last edited by VisMaior on Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
"logic is in the eye of the beholder" -LyingBrian in Eyewitness 1
"correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the CHANCE of something happening always 50% (either it will or it won't)?" -LyingBrian in BJs Wild West mafia
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:23 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

Okay!
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:05 am

Post by CooLDoG »

I'll dig out my cube and try today. If I can find it.
after a wank.
Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:01 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

Vis, I read the majority of your guide. Your guide was good except I think your images were a little confusing.

I would like to point out that once you complete your first layer, you should just flip the cube around and have your cross layer on the bottom. It makes it way easier to see what you are doing and thus easier to recognize the cases.

Junpei
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:41 am

Post by Junpei »

Could you put all the links to these guides in the OP?

Also have you gotten anywhere on the 4d puzzle yet robo? I haven't spent time on it yet.

Junpei
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:44 am

Post by Junpei »

Also Vis, could you make a clarification at the beginning of what you mean by twist? Does it mean a clockwise turn?

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:11 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

3x3x3 CFOP Tutorial: Part 1.2

The Cross

Note: I use alg.garrron.us a lot to display my actions. It is a player, so you can just press play and watch it unfold. You can slow the speed of the turns if it gets a little fast. It is a great visual for this guide. You can also drag and turn the cube

The cross is the first part of our four step process known as CFOP. It is an entirely intuitive step. Meaning that it is the only part that you solve, and not algorithms. Because of this, it isn't very easy to "teach" you how to solve it, I can simply explain to you what you have to do and what to look for. Giving tips and whatnot.

The cross looks a little like this,

Just pretend the bottom two layers are scrambled lol

Now, there are a few concepts that are important to know.

1. Color Choice: As I stated before, the color you choose in the beginning is vital, I'll explain to you what yoiu should look for in each color but I cannot stress enough how important it is that you do not start with the same color over and over. It makes for really bad times. Do future you a favor and be color neutral.

2. You need to not view the cube as in "Sides". When people say, "I can only get one side", they don't understand that they actually aren't doing anything. They just connected all the colors on one face, but the actual side itself is not solved.

Not solved "side"
Solved "side"

This is a color based puzzle, so you actually have to have colors orient.

3. Screwing up what you already have. This mostly goes for the F2L(Which the cross is technically part of) Pay attention. Don't do moves that screw up what you have already done, otherwise you'll just be going nowhere. The algs given to you usually are commutators, or algs that break the cube, do something even more to the cube, than fix the cube again. Watch what you are actually doing.

Alright, lets get started.

If you are following along with a cube, then for now, just pick a color. I obviously can't see the state of your cube and can't tell you what is the best and if you are reading this then you can't either. So just pick a color.

I'm going to scramble a cube in the alg generator and then solve the cross and explain it.

Lets start red.

Alright, this is what it'll look like when it is done. it is important to show you this beforehand so you understand what your goal is for each cubie.

Bam.

Notice the the edges of the cross correspond with their individual side colors. This is important because we aren't able to change the center pieces. So our cubies have to align now or they never will.

Lets go back and I'll explain what I did.

Back to the start

Alright, so what I see in the above link is a single red edge already connected to red center. Which means that this piece is already done. I also see a Red/Blue edge by the red center. That red edge can easily fit by the red white through a simple F'. Like so.

Here we are.

Alright, now the corner was not planned, that was simply a bonus. We don't care about it right now though, whether it makes it to the next part or not doesn't really matter. We are focused on our cross.

Now we need to align the edges of the cross to their corresponding colors, because right now blue is touching green and white is touching yellow. But before we do that, we also see a red/green piece. However, we can't fit it into anything yet. But keep in mind that Blue is across from green. So we want the red/green edge on the opposite side of the cross from red/blue.

What I would do is this,

I would turn the top face and then bring the green up so that it is across from the blue

Now, we have only one part left on our cross. It is the red/yellow. The red/yellow is currently facing down in the D face. Which is perfect because we can just align it by a simple B2.

Like so,

Sweet!

Alright, all we have left to do is align the cross to each individual color.

A simple U turn should suffice.

Cross is done!

Well that is the cross. You will be able to handle it with practice.

Right now if you are following along what I recommend is to just solve the cross over and over until you can do it no problem. Don't even worry about the rest of the cube, just solve a random cross, then scramble and go again. It will improve your knowledge of this step.

So that is the cross, practice. Live it. Love it. It is the foundation of your solve. Just keep practicing crosses and you'll get the hang of it. Thanks for reading, any questions feel free to ask.
Last edited by Robocopter87 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Arcade”