It's Finally here folks! Halo 4 Discussion thread (Spoilers)

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
BloodCovenent
BloodCovenent
Mafia Scum
BloodCovenent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

It's Finally here folks! Halo 4 Discussion thread (Spoilers)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:23 am

Post by BloodCovenent »

I'm on the fourth or fifth mission of the campaign, and i'm really liking it a lot. What are your thoughts on SP and MP?
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:09 pm

Post by PokerFace »

Played through first 3 levels of campaign after work tuesday. I like most of the gun changes and additions except for the boltshot. I'm waiting to be impressed this early into it
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:14 am

Post by Rhinox »

Finished the campaign yesterday. Loved it! Love the soundtrack (still have certain songs playing in my head while sitting at work today).

I do have nitpicks and cynical comments about certain parts, but overall, its pretty much everything I hoped it would be.

For arguments sake, my nitpick has to do with the pacing/streamlining of the campaign. Some points that should have been major revelations to the main characters were just glossed over entirely, and even some minor points it would have been nice to have some comments about. Many things were presented as if it were already common knowledge, and even if it is to the players due to other cannon sources, it shouldn't have been treated as such by the characters.

Cynically, the game felt a little more like an action game than a pure shooter at time. What I'm trying to say (without actually saying it) (but I'm saying it anyways), is that at times I almost felt like I was playing Mass Effect 3. I'm not even talking about the minor (major?) plot point which is obviously similar, I'm just talking about the feel, the QTE's, the new weapons and enemies. I'm not saying its a bad thing, just not strictly the halo we're used to. Its still Halo though. And yes, a couple points in the game did remind me plot wise, namely the (campaign spoilers)
librarian talking about synthesizing organic and synthetic life, and the chief walking down the light bridge towards the beam of light hello ME3 ending...
I don't know if they're ripping each other off behind the scenes or not, I don't care. The stories are different enough, and all scifi stories overlap and borrow from each other to an extent anyways.

I'm also not 100% sold on the portrayal of the new covenant forces and where the covenant story arc seems to be going, but I'll probably have to wait until the next Kilo 5 book and the next games to see what they're planning on doing about the old elites (arby's group), and the new storm covenant.

Anyways, Gonna hopefully play the first episode of Spartan Ops tonight and then maybe start getting into War Games. But i'm pretty satisfied with the campain.

Spoiler: Major Campaign spoilers
What do you think about the fates of cortana and the didact? Which didact was it?

I think the didact is dead. People are saying the speach at the end means he's alive, but its clearly a flashback speach of him addressing the forerunners 10,000 years ago before he was locked away. We may find the other didact and be allies in later games, idk.

Cortana is also dead, and it was very sad, but we may not have seen the last of her essence. Remember the librarian hijacked her temporarily, its possible she may have added cortana's data to the domain, or done something to protect her/change her. Maybe when the chief figures out how to reverse the composer process properly, cortana will become human? It'll be interesting to see what the UNSC tries to do about giving the chief a new AI in the next game, the conflict. Will cortana be able to be recovered? Will a new AI cortana clone be given to the chief? Will be interesting to find out what happens.
jasonT1981
jasonT1981
Jack of All Trades
jasonT1981
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:05 am

Post by jasonT1981 »

Was never a huge Halo fan. Mostly due to finishing Halo 3 on the hardest difficulty level on the day it was released.
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:27 am

Post by UberNinja »

Halo 3 was overly commercialized and Legendary wasn't nearly as hard. Try Halo 2 on Legendary for a real challenge.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:17 am

Post by PokerFace »

beat it. Was fun but in general this game feels more like a cross between COD, unreal tournament 2004, and metroid than a halo game

I beat Halo 1-3 and reach on legendary and I still think 2 was the hardest

Halo 4 is a good game but i generally feel let down a little bit
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
BloodCovenent
BloodCovenent
Mafia Scum
BloodCovenent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:37 pm

Post by BloodCovenent »

In post 2, Rhinox wrote:Finished the campaign yesterday. Loved it! Love the soundtrack (still have certain songs playing in my head while sitting at work today).

I do have nitpicks and cynical comments about certain parts, but overall, its pretty much everything I hoped it would be.

For arguments sake, my nitpick has to do with the pacing/streamlining of the campaign. Some points that should have been major revelations to the main characters were just glossed over entirely, and even some minor points it would have been nice to have some comments about. Many things were presented as if it were already common knowledge, and even if it is to the players due to other cannon sources, it shouldn't have been treated as such by the characters.

Cynically, the game felt a little more like an action game than a pure shooter at time. What I'm trying to say (without actually saying it) (but I'm saying it anyways), is that at times I almost felt like I was playing Mass Effect 3. I'm not even talking about the minor (major?) plot point which is obviously similar, I'm just talking about the feel, the QTE's, the new weapons and enemies. I'm not saying its a bad thing, just not strictly the halo we're used to. Its still Halo though. And yes, a couple points in the game did remind me plot wise, namely the (campaign spoilers)
librarian talking about synthesizing organic and synthetic life, and the chief walking down the light bridge towards the beam of light hello ME3 ending...
I don't know if they're ripping each other off behind the scenes or not, I don't care. The stories are different enough, and all scifi stories overlap and borrow from each other to an extent anyways.

I'm also not 100% sold on the portrayal of the new covenant forces and where the covenant story arc seems to be going, but I'll probably have to wait until the next Kilo 5 book and the next games to see what they're planning on doing about the old elites (arby's group), and the new storm covenant.

Anyways, Gonna hopefully play the first episode of Spartan Ops tonight and then maybe start getting into War Games. But i'm pretty satisfied with the campain.

Spoiler: Major Campaign spoilers
What do you think about the fates of cortana and the didact? Which didact was it?

I think the didact is dead. People are saying the speach at the end means he's alive, but its clearly a flashback speach of him addressing the forerunners 10,000 years ago before he was locked away. We may find the other didact and be allies in later games, idk.

Cortana is also dead, and it was very sad, but we may not have seen the last of her essence. Remember the librarian hijacked her temporarily, its possible she may have added cortana's data to the domain, or done something to protect her/change her. Maybe when the chief figures out how to reverse the composer process properly, cortana will become human? It'll be interesting to see what the UNSC tries to do about giving the chief a new AI in the next game, the conflict. Will cortana be able to be recovered? Will a new AI cortana clone be given to the chief? Will be interesting to find out what happens.

My biggest gripe with the storyline was
the fact that there were suddenly other spartans. The biggest thing for John was that everyone else was already dead, and he was the last one alive.

I actually really enjoyed the campaign, i just played it on normal since it's been a while since i've played a console game. I'll probably do a run on legendary with my friend some time this week. As for the MP i've really been digging it. I don't mind the kill streaks or perks. They're pretty damn balanced.

Plot spoilers:
Spoiler:
I was pretty sad when cortana was erased. The scene on the bridge where Chief and Her are talking about how he'll probably get a new AI..... holy shit that was emotional. You bring up good points about the librarian taking a part of her, i could see them using that in the future games. It's definitely going to be interesting where they go with chief and how that will play out with either a new or no AI.

Anyways, if anyone wants to play some MP with me, feel free to add me. (Blood Covenent)
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:44 pm

Post by Rhinox »

In post 6, BloodCovenent wrote:My biggest gripe with the storyline was
the fact that there were suddenly other spartans. The biggest thing for John was that everyone else was already dead, and he was the last one alive.

Spoiler:
Well, John wasn't ever really the last spartan. It was presented that way when CE was originally released, but ever since the first book, there have been other spartans. John is a spartan 2, and when he left his team as far as he knew there were other spartans still alive. There were a few companies of spartan 3's created (those are the ones you play as in Reach), and the spartans in Halo 4 are brand new spartan 4's, created during the past 5 years while John was floating around in his cryotube. Remember as cortana says in the first level, "A lot can happen in 5 years." But yeah John/cortana wouldn't have been too surprised to see more spartans. It seems like the main campaign doesn't do much to introduce and develop the spartan 4's because they are the main characters of the spartan ops campaign and they're being developed there.

I had a bigger gripe with how the plot introduced the didact. Like how neither cortana or the chief really reacted at all to the fact that a living breathing forerunner was suddenly standing in front of them. Cortana just mentions in passing that its the/a didact like its no big deal just another day in the life of 117. I mean it only would have taken a couple lines of dialogue after cortana told the chief to let go of the pillars, but oh well.

Playing through the campaign solo legendary now. Also doing spartan ops solo legendary. Been playing a little war games too.

In post 5, PokerFace wrote:Halo 4 is a good game but i generally feel let down a little bit

I actually felt that way when I first played the halo 3 campaign, but after some time and a few more playthroughs, it grew on me. I feel great about halo 4 right from the start though.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:19 pm

Post by Umbrage »

like its no big deal just another day in the life of 117.

well...
I'll explain it to you. You have to get someone else to understand it for you.
CF Riot
CF Riot
Mafia Scum
CF Riot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:06 am

Post by CF Riot »

In post 5, PokerFace wrote:this game feels more like a cross between COD,
unreal tournament 2004
, and metroid than a halo game
This is actually the first thing that's piqued my interest in this game. UT2k4 was the best shooting years of my life. But then, that was also impacted by the mass of player generated content. Go deeper into this comparison for me?
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:51 am

Post by PokerFace »

In UT 99 there were no vehicles and very different graphics and gametypes. In the UT2003,2004 there were many new guns, vehicles, graphics and game types

Comparing the old Halos to the new one feels the same as we once again have new vehicles, guns, graphics, and game types

I personally still prefer UT99 over the newer UT's. Same with the older halo's over the newer one

http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.ph ... 8#p4503598

Return to “The Arcade”