Why should i play fire emblem?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Xegarus
Xegarus
Mafia Scum
Xegarus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Why should i play fire emblem?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:46 am

Post by Xegarus »

A friend of mine always tells me to play Fire Emblem. Since there is a new one coming out, i thought i would ask the people of the internet what the deal is with FE. What kind of in depth mechanics are there. How do you play like a pro.
:D
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:28 am

Post by Nexus »

Trans rights are human rights.
Bitmap
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:12 am

Post by Bitmap »

Fire Emblem is amazing.
"I give up on trying to read you. You're unimaginably scummy, with a dose of ultra-Town thrown in for spice."
Timeater
Timeater
Mafia Scum
Timeater
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:28 am

Post by Timeater »

there are better strategy game ips tbh
watch for the eggshells
Xegarus
Xegarus
Mafia Scum
Xegarus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:49 am

Post by Xegarus »

Because it may be more likely to get replies here.
In post 2, Bitmap wrote:Fire Emblem is amazing.

In post 3, Timeater wrote:there are better strategy game ips tbh

Could you give reasons?
Timeater
Timeater
Mafia Scum
Timeater
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:58 am

Post by Timeater »

My main issue with Fire Emblem is the "reset" factor. Like I have no issue with hard difficulty as long as its not arbitrary. A lot of the stages are throwbacks to a memorization-style of design in the vein of Gradius or Ninja Gaiden. In those games, you had to know where to be at exactly the right time and you had to know what enemy was coming where, etc, it all had to be memorized because if t wasn't you did not stand a chance at winning. This applies to Fire Emblem because if you lose a unique character or regular unit, that character is gone 4eva (I think this applies to most FE games) and like thats cool I guess, but I dont really want to constantly reset my game or look at a guide or tediously check every enemy unit's move range to protect my weaker units.
watch for the eggshells
ToastyToast
ToastyToast
Mafia Scum
ToastyToast
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:03 am

Post by ToastyToast »

Well, play XCOM. There, even if you reset, your character will be dead.

I mean, its not like the Fire Emblem creators intended for people to play via resetting. It just happens because no one wants to lose a character.

Fire Emblem was the singlemost important game for me, as it got me into the strategy/RPG world.
Unfortunately, Nintendo sucks and is only releasing the new one on the 3DS, which I have no intention of buying. sad pandas...
"A train robbery is where you take a train to your destination, make your move, and take a train back, right?"-Isaac

Town: 12-10 (I think)
Mafia: 1-1
Third Party: 1-0
Alive in:0
Dead in:0
Modded: 2
ToastyToast
ToastyToast
Mafia Scum
ToastyToast
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:05 am

Post by ToastyToast »

As for why its a great game:
the Fire Emblem series has one of the best storyline formulas of any game--I'd say better than Final Fantasy.
The support system is original (although they screwed it up in some of the newer games)
At certain times it may be frustrating to get crit and have a unit killed, but the game truly does reward strategy and punish people who just charge into the enemy.
"A train robbery is where you take a train to your destination, make your move, and take a train back, right?"-Isaac

Timeater
Timeater
Mafia Scum
Timeater
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:15 am

Post by Timeater »

Well I love XCOM and XCOM is different for a few reasons
watch for the eggshells
Timeater
Timeater
Mafia Scum
Timeater
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:15 am

Post by Timeater »

I mean, its not like the Fire Emblem creators intended for people to play via resetting. It just happens because no one wants to lose a character.

Yes they did. 100%
watch for the eggshells
Xegarus
Xegarus
Mafia Scum
Xegarus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:29 am

Post by Xegarus »

In post 9, Timeater wrote:

Yes they did. 100%

lol
I dont know if this is a joke or not.
Timeater
Timeater
Mafia Scum
Timeater
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:39 am

Post by Timeater »

I wasn't joking at all, I just know alot about how games are actually designed.

http://hardcoregaming101.net/fireemblem/fireemblem.htm Everything you ever wanted to know about Fire Emblem.
watch for the eggshells
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:03 am

Post by Andrius »

In post 101, Vi wrote:
Fire Emblem is a turn-based strategy game. You move your units, the computer moves theirs, repeat. It's pretty much strictly single-player; Link Arena tends to be lame in general and IS hasn't found a good way to work a co-op mode.

The core difference between FE and other turn-based strategy games is its focus on personal development. Your units are people, characters minor and major in the plot. You use them in each Chapter; they have distinct classes, statistical builds and growths, and abilities; they have distinct personalities. You can have them initiate support conversations with other characters to strengthen your army as a whole when they're around each other if you like, although it takes longer to unlock supports with less-than-compatible characters. Most famously, (almost) everyone who hits zero HP dies, and death is
permanent
. Even if for story purposes going to zero HP "severely wounds" them, you can't use them any more. It should go without saying that if the main characters die, the game is over. Whether you reset the game and start the Chapter over in hopes of doing better next time or simply take what you have and move on is up to you; you get enough characters that it's pretty difficult to wind up in an unwinnable situation if you play your cards right.

Fire Emblem's plots are the trashy romance novels of the RPG world - you can loosely have an idea of what to expect, but the specifics vary from game to game. There's going to be at least one dragon, at least one insane monarch, a cleric getting broken out of jail, etc., etc. almost all the time. Yet despite the archetypes the plots and characters are distinct enough that none of them are obvious carbon copies of another.
Also akin to trashy romance novels, there's plenty of scandal to go around - the decidedly
not
conservative-friendly family values some characters display toward each other were probably the major reason the game was originally not for export.

Because of the huge variety of units and strategies, the games have a considerable amount of replay value in spite of being single-player.

Also, start with FE7 (proper name: "FE: The Blazing Sword"; in America, just "Fire Emblem") or FE9 (Path of Radiance).
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Xegarus
Xegarus
Mafia Scum
Xegarus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:21 am

Post by Xegarus »

So i heard the demo for the 3DS FE came out. Without spoilers and basing only on what you have played, how is it?
(Live in the UK where we don't have the demo yet)
IH
IH
Always Scum
IH
Always Scum
Always Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:33 pm

Post by IH »

In post 5, Timeater wrote:My main issue with Fire Emblem is the "reset" factor. Like I have no issue with hard difficulty as long as its not arbitrary. A lot of the stages are throwbacks to a memorization-style of design in the vein of Gradius or Ninja Gaiden. In those games, you had to know where to be at exactly the right time and you had to know what enemy was coming where, etc, it all had to be memorized because if t wasn't you did not stand a chance at winning. This applies to Fire Emblem because if you lose a unique character or regular unit, that character is gone 4eva (I think this applies to most FE games) and like thats cool I guess, but I dont really want to constantly reset my game or look at a guide or tediously check every enemy unit's move range to protect my weaker units.

The restart and time you spend getting back to your last point is all a punishment for poor strategy, not checking if your unit is safe, etc etc. Is it tedious in chess to check your enemies movement range before moving? It's a strategy game.

There's a reason why you can skip every cutscene at anytime. Same as in pokemon. The reason that the pokecenter takes so long is a tradeoff of tediousness to go back and heal everytime instead of stay in the field and such.
Untrod Tripod (7:27:18 PM): you enjoy whoring
xcaykex (7:27:24 PM): yes
xcaykex (7:27:26 PM): i know that
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:30 pm

Post by Brandi »

Play Pokemon Conquest instead! :P
ToastyToast
ToastyToast
Mafia Scum
ToastyToast
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:19 pm

Post by ToastyToast »

i'm really pissed the new fire emblem is 3ds only...It looks like a great one but i don't want to buy a 3ds for just a single game

ToastyToast
ToastyToast
Mafia Scum
ToastyToast
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:23 pm

Post by ToastyToast »

In post 13, Xegarus wrote:So i heard the demo for the 3DS FE came out. Without spoilers and basing only on what you have played, how is it?
(Live in the UK where we don't have the demo yet)

I've watched a Let's play of the japanese version, and it looks great. Probs not the best story, but they really made an effort to bring back some of the best things in the series. A refined support system, the dual class promotions, marriage, class skills, and multiplayer are all there. In my opinion its a tribute to the older games.

Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:24 pm

Post by Andrius »

Speaking of Fire Emblem they just announced a FE crossover with SMT.
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Timeater
Timeater
Mafia Scum
Timeater
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:06 pm

Post by Timeater »

In post 18, Andrius wrote:Speaking of Fire Emblem they just announced a FE crossover with SMT.

wat

the

frick
watch for the eggshells
IH
IH
Always Scum
IH
Always Scum
Always Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:39 am

Post by IH »

i think it may end up being a fighting game, but I'm not completely sure.

Also wait is the demo on the eshop?
Untrod Tripod (7:27:18 PM): you enjoy whoring
xcaykex (7:27:24 PM): yes
xcaykex (7:27:26 PM): i know that
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:45 am

Post by Vi »

The SMT crossover is going to be an RPG per Serenes Forest.

I'm busying myself with a casualty run of FE9. No stat boosters, no bonus experience, one character dies per Chapter. Somehow I wound up with basically one foot unit (Brom), and he's dying this Chapter.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
ToastyToast
ToastyToast
Mafia Scum
ToastyToast
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:14 pm

Post by ToastyToast »

RPG could mean anything though. Fire Emblem is technically a strategy RPG (though I highly doubt its goin to be just like a fire emblem game).

@Vi: How did the last person left end up being Brom?

Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:08 am

Post by Vi »

In post 22, ToastyToast wrote:@Vi: How did the last person left end up being Brom?
The last non-mount non-laguz.

Spoiler: Geeky playthrough stuff that proves that I need a capture card because it would be more interesting
(Ike is free, decided to have a full staff for Ch. 8 so there are double deaths until it comes out to be even)
Ch. 8 - Titania, Oscar,
Boyd,
Rhys,
Soren,
Mia, Ilyana
Ch. 9 -
Titania,
Oscar,
Rhys,
Mia, Ilyana, Mist, Rolf, Marcia (well crap)
Ch. 10 - Oscar, Mia, Ilyana, Mist,
Rolf,
Marcia, Lethe, Mordecai,
Volke

Ch. 11 -
Oscar,
Mia, Ilyana, Mist, Marcia, Lethe, Mordecai, Brom, Kieran,
Nephenee
, Zihark (no BExp. means all of my units are basically horrible)
Ch. 12 -
Mia,
Ilyana, Mist, Marcia, Lethe, Mordecai, Brom, Lieran, Zihark,
Sothe,
Jill
Ch. 13 - Ilyana, Mist, Marcia, Lethe, Mordecai, Brom, Kieran, Zihark,
Jill,
Astrid,
Gatrie (Please die soon Brom)
Ch. 14 - Ilyana, Mist, Marcia, Lethe, Mordecai, Brom, Kieran,
Zihark,
Gatrie,
Makalov
(lol, I only have one axe user left before Largo)
Ch. 15 - Ilyana, Mist, Marcia,
Lethe,
Mordecai, Brom, Kieran, Gatrie,
Stefan
(not the GOOD units!)
Ch. 16 -
Ilyana,
Mist, Marcia, Mordecai, Brom, Kieran, Gatrie, Tormod, Muarim, Devdan (noooooo not my mage who's actually turning out awesome!)
Ch. 17 - Mist, Marcia, Mordecai, Brom, Kieran,
Gatrie,
Tormod, Muarim, Devdan
Ch. 18 - Mist, Marcia, Mordecai, Brom, Kieran, Tormod, Muarim,
Devdan
, Tanith, Janaff, Ulki, Reyson (I can't recruit Shinon, so I basically lose one potential player slot)
Ch. 19 - Mist, Marcia, Mordecai, Brom, Kieran,
Tormod
, Muarim, Tanith, Janaff, Ulki, Reyson
Ch. 20 - Mist, Marcia, Mordecai, Brom,
Kieran
, Muarim, Tanith, Janaff, Ulki, Reyson, Calill
UPDATE - Ch. 21 - Mist, Marcia, Mordecai,
Brom
, Muarim, Tanith, Janaff, Ulki, Reyson, Calill, Tauroneo

I forgot Calill existed and didn't even deploy her in Ch. 20. :? So, it looks like I have ONE standard foot unit entering Ch. 21.

Ike is down 4 Spd and 6 Res from his average.
Brom was 5 Str over his average at Lv. 20 before he was chosen to die, which made me much more okay with having him around so long.
Mist is a horrible unit on her good days and only becomes worth looking at after she promotes.

---

Other geeky stuff: One of the reasons I like FE is because it's a massive exercise in managing risk, and it features all the applied probability you could ever want. (For most people, this is "none", but I liked math enough to major in it, so etc.) For instance, Brom capping Str unpromoted only happens about 2% of the time (with a Str-boosting band equipped).
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:42 pm

Post by Chevre »

I got Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, which I believe is a remake of the original, for 15 dollars clearance at Walmart a few year sback, and I've never finished it. Like it was really fun and all and I loved the mechanics, but you could finagle your way through early levels so that you were horribly underleveled for later levels, and I don't believe there was a way to make up the difference. Additionally, maybe I'm just dim, but it seemed like there was so many different aspects of the battle system that it was difficult to master.

Of course, Shadow Dragon is much less appreciated than the other Fire Emblems, and I believe it's a remake of the first, so I imagine it's improved a lot. I would recommend it, I suppose.
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be

Return to “The Arcade”