Civers unite!!!!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #750 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:05 pm

Post by Porkens »

Awesome! Ok, how stressed out should I be about relationships with other civs and delegates ?
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #751 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:29 pm

Post by Espeonage »

Sent gilgamesh a friend request as soon as you meet him and you are set for life. But real talk, stay in the like top 2 or 3 in military strength and they won't mess with you even if they hate you.
Don't @ me.
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #752 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:43 pm

Post by Porkens »

Oh god one more: any tips with social policies?
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #753 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:48 pm

Post by Elbirn »

In post 750, Porkens wrote:Awesome! Ok, how stressed out should I be about relationships with other civs and delegates ?
I think that depends on how you want to play the game

if you're super aggressive and dont rightly give a damn if the whole world declares war on you then just dont care

if you're simply vibing and want to have a friend or two then go for it. alliances can be well worth it, particularly if you have loads of trade routes going to an allied civ. protip: gilgamesh of sumeria is programmed to always accept a declaration of friendship if you do it the exact turn that you meet him, and he will be your best friend forever if you keep it up.

citystates: depending on their location and suzerain bonus they may be better off as food. it's really situational. I advocate for almost always keeping science city states around, 3 delegates at every science CS in a game will give you libraries with 8+ science! it's also worth noting that theres a green diplomacy policy card that when equipped, your first delegate to a city state counts as 2. I like to save my delegates until I can put that card on and then get a free delegate at every city state

envoys! I'm thinking of envoys I'm an idiot! argggggggghhhhh
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #754 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:54 pm

Post by Elbirn »

In post 751, Espeonage wrote:Sent gilgamesh a friend request as soon as you meet him and you are set for life. But real talk, stay in the like top 2 or 3 in military strength and they won't mess with you even if they hate you.
espe is much better at advice than I am

my social policy tip to you is keep learning them, they're all situationally good and you need to learn when to run what I guess. early game, the +1 production card is great, I like to run the one thats +1 faith until I get my pantheon, it's all preference.

classical republic -> economic slots: +50% settler production/+50% builder production diplomatic slot: +1 envoy if first envoy card wildcard slot: +1 production

^ is what I default to a lot in early game for fast expansion and building
T3
T3
He/him
Survivor
T3
He/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #755 (ISO) » Sat May 29, 2021 8:58 am

Post by T3 »

Currently I'm playing a science game as the Maori. Unfortunately Norway declared a surprise war on me almost as soon as I met him. I then captured and razed 2 of his cities after I saw that if I kept them they would just rebel and start mass-producing barbarians.

Then every single AI except Canada, Macedon, and the Cree (surprisingly) denounced me and then declared war, and that's where I'm at in 600 AD.

Edit: My capital was just nuked by none other than.... gandhi
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #756 (ISO) » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:41 pm

Post by Maestro »

In post 755, T3 wrote:Currently I'm playing a science game as the Maori. Unfortunately Norway declared a surprise war on me almost as soon as I met him. I then captured and razed 2 of his cities after I saw that if I kept them they would just rebel and start mass-producing barbarians.

Then every single AI except Canada, Macedon, and the Cree (surprisingly) denounced me and then declared war, and that's where I'm at in 600 AD.

Edit: My capital was just nuked by none other than.... gandhi
Wow, incredible! for a bunch of reasons:
  • Maori... science? I'm intrigued! what was the vibe for the build? Preserve shenanigans?
  • Norway sucks in general about that agenda, IMO, bc plenty of Civs/Maps just... don't need a navy, and if you have coastal cities (Maori... check) you're in for it if on higher difficulty, however...
  • ...you
    razed
    2 of his cities?! JFC, you can get so much from the AI for Cities if you
    give them back
    in peace deals, not to mention you might wipe out all the Grievances that caused all the other Civs to hate you and nuke you
  • plz give me some screenshots of this game! or an update if it didn't die to the fire of the restart button!
T3
T3
He/him
Survivor
T3
He/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #757 (ISO) » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:44 pm

Post by T3 »

I have no idea, it was meant to be for fun lol
That was a big civ fail
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #758 (ISO) » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:17 pm

Post by Alisae »

Hey, I need a 6th for my civ group. We play
civ 5 not 6
. Our group contains Me, MathBlade, RadiantCowbells, and 2 other people that are not associated with MS.
We play on Weds and Friday and we meet at 6:30PST/9:30EST.
We also play with lekmod, which is a balance mod that was made for multiplayer and I find to be one of the best civ 5 experiences you can have, and also we play with lekmap, a map generation script made for lekmod in mind and is one of the best map generation scripts out there due to how much more resources it gives. I will leave a link to the mod below so you can read the changes.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18ts ... tpKvI/edit#
GTKAS
| here.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #759 (ISO) » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:48 pm

Post by PJ. »

Lolbalance
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #760 (ISO) » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:00 am

Post by Alisae »

In post 759, PJ. wrote:Lolbalance
bro read it
if you like civ its worth giving both it and the maps a try.

- There are a lot more better civs (made with multiplayer in mind) and considering when we play we draft, so each player has a pool of 5 civs they can pick from. More civs makes it so you'll have some good ones in your pool.
- My first favorite change is the map. This is one of the best explanations I can link to when it comes to the map, but the map changes are so good. Liberty is more viable and the entire map changes your strategy. In general there's a lot more stuff so cities are always going to be better and you'll easily have a ton of good cities.
- My second favorite change is to the social policies. Honor and Piety are now extremely viable, Honor wants to take city states early and Piety is built around having a strong religion (7 City Wide Piety can be really good because your religion can be just strong enough that it's better than the entire liberty tree, keep in mind Liberty still is good).
- Even if you go Trad/Liberty first, Honor and Piety are still pretty strong secondary trees. Also Secondary trees are strong, Patronage is really good, Aesthetics is really good, Commerce can be good but its hard to use, Exploration is really good and is actually my favorite policy tree because it was made for coastal civs and its extremely fun to play with. Rationalism is nerfed.
- My third fav change is Religion, Religion is a lot better and there are a lot better traits. Even if you're one of the last people to pick up a religion (All players in our games will get a religion, there's an option for it), you will still find some good stuff from it.

And just a lot of other neat stuff.
I probably wouldn't play the base game civ 5 tbh. base game civ 5 was boring cuz legit every game it was
>get free hanging gardens because no ai opens tradition
>beeline up to research labs.
>bulb scientists 8 turn after labs.
>win the game with xcoms and by taking capitals in 1-2 turns

Like base game civ every game literally felt the same.
LEKMOD civ makes the game feel extremely new.

Its definitely worth trying out lekmod and lekmap if you like civ 5.
GTKAS
| here.
T3
T3
He/him
Survivor
T3
He/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #761 (ISO) » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:18 pm

Post by T3 »

6 is superior in everything but graphics
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #762 (ISO) » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:33 pm

Post by Alisae »

From what I've heard, Civ 6 is way more linear than 5 and every game plays out exactly the same.
What I like about this mod is that a lot of different things are viable so there's a lot more to do and because there's a lot more you can do and a lot more options (as well as having a lot more of things in general), the games plays out better and each game feels extremely different.
GTKAS
| here.
T3
T3
He/him
Survivor
T3
He/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #763 (ISO) » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:23 am

Post by T3 »

In post 762, Alisae wrote:From what I've heard, Civ 6 is way more linear than 5 and every game plays out exactly the same.
What I like about this mod is that a lot of different things are viable so there's a lot more to do and because there's a lot more you can do and a lot more options (as well as having a lot more of things in general), the games plays out better and each game feels extremely different.
True.
Expect when Deity AIS go apeshit with GDRs in 1700.$$$$
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #764 (ISO) » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:35 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 761, T3 wrote:6 is superior in everything but graphics
Yeah, I can't ever rly play 5 again bc despite whatever you may say about 6's shortfalls (and it certainly has them) it has moved the series forward in a lot of new way which have more potential on the horizon, not to mention it added some incredible dynamics sorely lacking from 5, and that's the point of a sequel.
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #765 (ISO) » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:43 pm

Post by Elbirn »

I remember when civ 5 came out and all the true-civ-scotsman just kept wanking about civ 4 being better and truly time is a flat circle

civ 5 has half the features of civ 6 and I actually prefer the art style the end*

*civ 6 ai is foreal braindead though
T3
T3
He/him
Survivor
T3
He/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #766 (ISO) » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:48 pm

Post by T3 »

^except ghandi
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #767 (ISO) » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:48 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 765, Elbirn wrote:I remember when civ 5 came out and all the true-civ-scotsman just kept wanking about civ 4 being better and truly time is a flat circle

civ 5 has half the features of civ 6 and I actually prefer the art style the end*

*civ 6 ai is foreal braindead though
I still think civ 4 is the best civ game.
Taking a break from the site.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #768 (ISO) » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:15 am

Post by Alisae »

lekmod civ 5 is the best civ experience
GTKAS
| here.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #769 (ISO) » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:47 am

Post by Alisae »

Lekmod civ 5 has significantly more depth than BNW civ 5 and civ 6.
Civ 6 is if you get tanks first you win.
BNW is everyone goes 4 city tradition and you go to labs and bulb scientists yata yata same game everytime.

Lekmod civ 5 is best played in a 6 player Multiplayer lobby, as the map generation was balanced around 6 players in a multiplayer lobby
where everyone has the same skill level

If ur a Coastal Civ you can go explo and get some really neat stuff. You'll always have some amount of islands you can expand to, and while the barbs on those islands are the most frustrating part about playing coastal, lekmod made coastal extremely refreshing to play. This is what one of my coastal empires looked like in an NQ MP game.
Spoiler:

Every wincon feels better. Patronage and going diplo is good, Aesthetics and going culture and trying to beeline to internet is good, Ratio is nerfed but still really good. There are significant war timings that appear throughout the game (xbows, calv artys, and landships) and war is better because if you cal artys into a guy who has public schools and factories then you can just get those techs if you can take their cities.

You get significantly better land to sim on, which means you get more resources.
Religion is literally just better and there's a lot more you can do with it.

Like idunno, i don't really care that 6 has more features if it's just a linear game and doesn't have the depth.
GTKAS
| here.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #770 (ISO) » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:11 am

Post by Alisae »

This is another one of my games, this was from my own group. I was playing Kilwa, who gets 5% food for every international trade route departing the city and +4 gold from internal trade routes.

Their building is a workshop replacement named Coral Port that doesn't provide as much production as a workshop but provides
+2 hammers from coral (I had 3 coral in my cap, and at least 2-3 more coral in my entire empire across all of my expands, so this is easily just a 4-5-6 prodution tile)
+1 food from fish
+2 gold from whales
+1 culture from pearls
+1 food from crab

and their unique unit is a caravel replacement that arrives at compass, is extremely cost efficient, and destroys galleasses (you need astronomy to match it)
This game was fun because I was behind first (Greece, if you look at the scoreboard it lies, Poland is irrelevant) for most of the game but I beeline for statue and Greece (only other relevant player) is also getting statue. I get a scientist 3 turns later, I bulb the scientist to get statue tech, I engineer statue tech, I win a world's fair that was proposed which was lol, and then my spy steals research lab tech from guy in first and he used oxford to get research labs.
GTKAS
| here.
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #771 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:51 pm

Post by Elbirn »

civ 6 has districts and that alone makes it a less linear experience than anything civ 5 modded does

down vote away
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #772 (ISO) » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:20 pm

Post by Alisae »

bro whoever gets to tanks first wins
lets be honest here
GTKAS