The Walking Dead (spoilarz inside)

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
mikeburnfire
mikeburnfire
Flashy
mikeburnfire
Flashy
Flashy

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:25 pm

Post by mikeburnfire »

I think he's referring to the gun she steals regardless of your choice. I hear his disposition is affected by your choice, but... yeah. The game doesn't seem customized to each player like season 1 was.
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill with rope and a slim majority."

Flash Guide to Mafia and Flash Mafia Roles
Jahudo
Jahudo
Mafia Scum
Jahudo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:53 pm

Post by Jahudo »

Fuck that Russian kid. I gave back his meds. I tried to break up fights at every turn. I waited for a chance to him to redeem himself because I thought he was just trying to protect his sister. And then when I stand down from their escape attempt, he shoots me anyway.
pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:44 pm

Post by pickemgenius »

In post 26, Jahudo wrote:
Fuck that Russian kid. I gave back his meds. I tried to break up fights at every turn. I waited for a chance to him to redeem himself because I thought he was just trying to protect his sister. And then when I stand down from their escape attempt, he shoots me anyway.

I was like "Maybe THIS Russian kid wouldn't be so bad." GREAT JOKE SELF!

dunno how I feel about how this ended but whatever, guess I'm looking forward more to S3 than I really give a shit about most of what happened this season.
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

(1:55:11 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's ok drench
(1:55:21 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's perfectly normal for young children to walk in on their parents making love
(1:55:31 AM) Drench394: i can't wait

STREAMING:

www.twitch.tv/xxxpickemgenius
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:29 pm

Post by Claus »

I'm disappointed with the finale. It is better than Episode 4, but still far away from being satisfying.

Spoiler: Opinions
So the finale has three endings: Jane, Kenny, and Clementine by herself. When I first played, I ended with the clementine by herself ending, and found it lacking.

The best of the three endings is the Kenny ending. It was honestly a very good scene, but there is no way that I would choose that ending given the hard handed way that they hinted that Kenny was going mad. In fact, I think that it was really weird that Kenny went back to "old kenny" in the ending cutscene after everything they made him do.

The Jane ending is kinda ok, but suddenly she is a manipulative bastard. It was really weird, because I had her pegged in the previous episodes by being "no-nonsense" and "lets do the practical thing", and suddenly she is hiding babies and playing mental games.

Also, no way that baby+clementine would have survived for themselves 9 days. It would actually be cool if the baby+clementine end resulted in death.

==================
Non-ending related:

The "nice guy" death was ridiculous. It was a nice death scene, but it was obvious that he was offed just because they wanted to play it "Jane x Kenny". In that sense, the entire confrontation between Jane and Kenny (car arguments etc) felt really forced.

The russian kid subplot was also unsatisfying, if nothing else because you couldn't interact with the plot - you couldn't talk to the kid directly, you couldn't talk to people about the kid. It was just a time bomb in a glass case.

I actually enjoyed having the other couple trying to escape - and taking the kid with them. But no matter how much the guy liked the kid, giving him a gun at that point in the story was an idiot basketball.

Also, how did everyone survive the initial shooting? :-/

Bah.

I did enjoy the first three episodes of the season, problems and all. But it all went to hell when they decide to cut the carver plot early. They could probably have the same final conflict (if that is what they were planning from the beginning), by making the escape from Carver the first half of the final episode, and keeping the "escape in the snow" scene about the same.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVmAG0RXmo
phokdapolees
phokdapolees
Mafia Scum
phokdapolees
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:19 pm

Post by phokdapolees »

Why are you guys using spoiler tags when it says spoilers are inside?

I stand by my previous statement of "fuck Bonnie", because seriously, she gets mad at me for killing the walkers coming for Luke and getting rid of the immediate threat instead of just running over to Luke and probably falling in with him (didn't make that choice/didn't look it up so idk). And seriously, how did Mike and Bonnie not get the truck after Arvo shot Clementine?
pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:58 pm

Post by pickemgenius »

I didn't particularly care for this season much.

I ended up with Jane and the family at the end. Jane is a fantastic character.

Arvo and the russians subplot thingy has gotta be one of the biggest clusterfucks of shit ever(at least at the moment, though really why would you bring him back S3?????).

so many things just felt rushed and thrown together in haste the last twoish episodes.
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

(1:55:11 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's ok drench
(1:55:21 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's perfectly normal for young children to walk in on their parents making love
(1:55:31 AM) Drench394: i can't wait

STREAMING:

www.twitch.tv/xxxpickemgenius
KaleiÐoscøpe
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
=====[]

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:59 pm

Post by KaleiÐoscøpe »

I just can't get over the fact of how many characters I hated this season, moreso then season 1. Arvo, Bonnie, Sarah, Carver, Troy and even Kenny and Jane at the end. This season was just a trainwreck of seeing everyone dying every episode. And a lot of the choices you
could
make had little to no impact on the story. And they want you to have the feeling now that you did. But I'm sure that in Season 3, you all get back to the same point in about 15 minutes.
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:26 pm

Post by Claus »

Well, you are supposed to hate Carver... but I get what you're saying :-) I also kinda hated the "good kid" (his name escapes me) because it seemed to me that you were supposed to build some rapport with him in episodes 2 and 3, but all that goes out the window and he becomes a unreliable fuck in episodes 4 and 5.

I bought season two as soon as possible because of season 1. I'll be waiting for the full reviews before touching season 3.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:50 pm

Post by Chevre »

Just finished season 2. yikes.

I'm just...reminded of how
Saw
was a critically acclaimed
psychological
thriller with excellent twists and then once it made a ton of money they started dishing out yearly gorefests. Entertaining gorefests, yes, but the plot became so engorged and unbelievable that it ultimately drug down the series.

I don't think anyone reading this thread will deny that the arc of Season One was superb. Fleshed out, full of twists, and just really great. But Season Two was like what Saw became...it was like "LOOK AT THIS DRASTIC SITUATION! NOW ANOTHER ONE! NOW ANOTHER ONE!" with tons of deaths. Was it fun? Yeah, I'm a sucker for anything interactive fiction. But in terms of "goodness"? I feel like it was just a pretty level journey through who-knows-where, America to "Wellington" as the revolving door of death hit everyone but me.

Things I'd like to see in Season 3:
1) LET US HAVE MOMENTS TO TALK TO WHOEVER WE PLEASE IN OUR GROUP. Season One was great because every once in a while they'd give us a moment to talk to whomever we pleased, and real conversations with dialogue choices. Rarely did this happen in Season Two (Episode Four was about as good as it got) and often when this happened the characters would simply shrug Clementine off. Everyone complains about the unlikable characters, but for me people like Bonnie and Rebecca had promise and I wish I could've explored their stories a little bit more.
2) They need to subvert the whole idea that characters who can die in earlier episodes must be dead by the end of the season. It would've been awesome if Nick or heck, Sarah could've defied expectations and survived the whole season even though there was a chance they would die in an earlier episode. With the split endings of this season hopefully that's more of a possibility.
3) Along those lines, an actual arc. I like how in One Hershel set the tone with "the choices you make..." and his admiration of honesty, then there was an excellent introduction to characters, a standalone episode which really showed the drastic side of the apocalypse, and then a pretty tight story spanning the final three episodes. This season? Christa & Omid > alone > the cabin group > the ski lodge > Howe's > the civil war memorial > ??? under the general premise of "north / safety" it just didn't work; the ending was by no means satisfying. When I finished I actually wondered if Telltale had plans to do a sixth episode in this season.

I don't usually get so fired up, but gosh darnit, Season One was so good and Two is such a letdown.
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:47 pm

Post by Claus »

In post 33, Chevre wrote:I'm just...reminded of how
Saw
was a critically acclaimed
psychological
thriller with excellent twists and then once it made a ton of money they started dishing out yearly gorefests.

You play as clementine. 'nuff said.
mikeburnfire
mikeburnfire
Flashy
mikeburnfire
Flashy
Flashy

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:27 am

Post by mikeburnfire »

I actually thought episode 5 redeemed the whole season, for the most part. Choices having consequences is something I wanted and hadn't had all season, and then we end up with 5~ possible endings and 3 characters whose status is "determinant" (Kenny, Jane, and Bonnie). And the entire episode they kept talking about my past decisions. And then they had a flashback to season 1, in which they remembered that I saved Doug, didn't exile Lilly, and took supplies from the car).

And I really liked the campfire scene near the beginning, where you actually got a moment to talk to other characters for a bit (finally).

My ending involved Jane and the family. I'm looking forward to Season 3, and hoping there's another DLC episode to hold me over.

Also, I really enjoyed how unpredictable the last episode was. I thought Mike was going to die in the shootout for sure (he had EXPENDABLE written all over), and the final decision would be who to save between Kenny and Luke. Then I play the episode and Mike lives, Jane returns, I get Luke killed, Bonnie and Mike betray me, and Kenny goes psycho. Masterful.
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill with rope and a slim majority."

Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:58 am

Post by Chevre »

the campfire was probably the best part of the whole season.

i think the season did offer a lot in terms of unpredictability. carver dying ep. 3, russians appearing out of nowhere, jane's return, sarah and luke dying no matter what, mike not dying, the ending conflict being kenny v. jane
mikeburnfire
mikeburnfire
Flashy
mikeburnfire
Flashy
Flashy

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:14 pm

Post by mikeburnfire »

I agree with you, except about Sarah. Deterministic characters being killed off is too common in this series. Sarah being killed off 20 minutes after saving her is infuriating because it screams lazy writing, and it's become far too predictable that a deterministic character WILL die before the next episode ends.

Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:22 pm

Post by Chevre »

see my second point in my first post. i agree.

but my point was, sarah's whole "let's be friends!" and her general demeanor made her seem like a character you could end the game with still alive.
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:11 pm

Post by Claus »

My problem with Sarah is that the only scenes that you could interact with her seemed to be the ones where something was happening to her and you had to take some direct action. You had almost no scenes where you talked to Sarah about things not related to her plot points (maybe asking her opinion on someone else). So Sarah was much more of a plot device than actually a character.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:24 pm

Post by bv310 »

In post 1, phokdapolees wrote:#fuckbonnie

Return to “The Arcade”