The Walking Dead (spoilarz inside)

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

The Walking Dead (spoilarz inside)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:11 pm

Post by Umbrage »

talk about da walkin dead here so we don't have to use de spoilar tagz

also CLEMENTINE IS A FUCKING BADASS
I'll explain it to you. You have to get someone else to understand it for you.
phokdapolees
phokdapolees
Mafia Scum
phokdapolees
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:20 pm

Post by phokdapolees »

#fuckbonnie
Jahudo
Jahudo
Mafia Scum
Jahudo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:10 pm

Post by Jahudo »

I hope Carver isn't a copy/paste of the governor from the tv show. Being voiced by Michael Madsen is pretty awesome anyway.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:57 pm

Post by Umbrage »

So who do you hope/think is going to die?

My guess is that Carver dies regardless of your actions, you have the choice to kill Bonnie (which I'm taking), Kenny pulls a Noble Sacrifice (TM) to shame the people who hated him in S1, Rebecca lives because they already pulled the 'pregnant lady sob story' card, Luke is obviously dead, Sarita is obviously dead, Sarah is obviously dead, Carlos could go either way, Alvin dies quickly if he survived E2, Nick probably lives, Christa is revealed to have died, and the season ends with Clementine barely escaping a walker, then she rolls back her sleeve with a look of horror and it ends before it's shown whether or not she's bitten.
Jahudo
Jahudo
Mafia Scum
Jahudo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:17 am

Post by Jahudo »

Nick is already dead in my playthrough. My guess is that you are indirectly responsible for getting Sarah killed and Carlos will live the whole season just to be pissed at you.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:48 am

Post by Umbrage »

oh shit really?

how'd the bridge work out then?

Nick shot Matthew in my playthrough, and I assumed he HAD to be alive for that to happen regardless of your choices
Jahudo
Jahudo
Mafia Scum
Jahudo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:13 am

Post by Jahudo »

Nick died when the walkers attacked the ski lodge. I guess I didn't convince the teacher guy to save him.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:13 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Why is Kenny alive? His death protecting Ben in Season 1 was the perfect cap to his whole character arc, and then Telltale just takes a big dump on that? If they wanted to bring somebody back, why not Lilly or Molly, who both have room in their story for more development?
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:39 am

Post by Umbrage »

In post 6, Jahudo wrote:Nick died when the walkers attacked the ski lodge. I guess I didn't convince the teacher guy to save him.
aw yeah

if there's one thing I've learned from S1 it's BE HONEST BECAUSE SECRETS DON'T LAST FOR SHIT
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:56 pm

Post by Umbrage »

In post 7, Sudo_Nym wrote:Why is Kenny alive? His death protecting Ben in Season 1 was the perfect cap to his whole character arc, and then Telltale just takes a big dump on that? If they wanted to bring somebody back, why not Lilly or Molly, who both have room in their story for more development?
see this is actually what I like about the series: characters don't die when they're supposed to

Kenny was lucky, Lee was unlucky - that's just what it boils down to, there's no plot armour or way you can say 'OK X is going to live because reasons'
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar
Pronoun: He/they

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:21 am

Post by ChannelDelibird »

Weirdly, my favourite moment from the episode was the choice of the person with whom to sit at dinner. When I realised that I had to choose between Kenny and Luke, I realised I'd assumed that we'd just be a group from then on and that made me realise that I'd been thinking like a child. Either the game's immersion succeeded on a very deep level or I'm just massively naive. I choose to believe the former.

I ended up choosing Kenny, by the by, although when he called Clem 'Duck' I decided then and there that, if it came to it, I would be leaving with Luke in the morning rather than stay with him to be his hallucination.

I'd completely forgotten which characters stayed at the end of my 400 Days playthrough and which left so I didn't - and still don't - have any idea what Bonnie's appearance means for them.
#greenshirtthursdays
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:32 am

Post by Umbrage »

I think Bonnie joins regardless of your choices in 400 days, it's the others that will stay or leave depending on how you played.

Kenny's either going to pull a heroic last stand, or be a total dirtbag and fuck everything over for the group. I'm thinking the former since the latter would basically be Telltale telling fans to fuck off.

I swear though, if Clem dies and Kenny's the protagonist in S3, I'm not buying it. Fuck that shit.
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:02 pm

Post by Claus »

Hrm. I continue disliking playing as Clem. I think she was a much better character when you were not inside her head.

Like the "Carver enters the lodge" scene. I felt a bit bound by "what would clem do?" instead of "what would I do", if I were playing Lee.

Kenny was nice, but I agree it cheapens his "death" in S1 a bit. I had the same reaction as CdB at the "choose your table" scene, BTW.

I knew I recognized Bonnie from somewhere, but I didn't realize who she was until after the game.

All in all, I had fun, but I still feel tied by playing a stablished character such as Clementine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVmAG0RXmo
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:08 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

I didn't play 400 Days. Am I missing out?

I don't think Clem is as strong of a protagonist. I don't DISLIKE playing as her, but it's certainly not as engaging. There's something missing from season two so far... I think in season one, I was happy we had that Clem/Lee relationship to drive the game forward even when the plot meandered. Here, though, there's nothing like that... I don't find myself being particularly attached to any of the characters, and I actually find them all unlikable and grating. Seriously...

Rebecca, the pregnant woman who was a massive cunt to Clem?
Alvin, the hilariously inept husband?
Sarah, the obnoxiously sheltered shut-in with Carlos the overprotective father watching out for her?
Nick, the bumbling fucking moron who just screws everything up for everyone and wallows in his own self pity?
Walter, the idiotically naive guy who lets anyone and everyone into his little shelter?
Sarita, who really isn't a character and is more of a plot device?

I don't like any of them. In fact, the only characters I was moderately enjoying were both killed off (Pete and Matthew).

I've realized most of the choices I've made have been "Well, I'll just get Clem to be a fucking adult because nobody else is." Carver is a pretty cool villain and I hope he sticks around for a little while, because he's the person I most want to know more about and get to know. I feel that Carver/Clem would be a interesting comparison against Lee/Clem.
green shirt thursdays
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:12 pm

Post by chesskid3 »

no, 400 days was shit

I fucking lost my shit when Carley died back in season 1 I was in love with her

Also I fucking dropped ben because FCK that ASSHOLE
Papa Zito - "Your signature has been blanked...we remove signatures at a users request if said signature references them, or if it quotes from a thread in the Speakeasy, which is not allowed without permission of the poster"
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:43 am

Post by Umbrage »

In post 13, xRECKONERx wrote:I didn't play 400 Days. Am I missing out?

I don't think Clem is as strong of a protagonist. I don't DISLIKE playing as her, but it's certainly not as engaging. There's something missing from season two so far... I think in season one, I was happy we had that Clem/Lee relationship to drive the game forward even when the plot meandered. Here, though, there's nothing like that... I don't find myself being particularly attached to any of the characters, and I actually find them all unlikable and grating. Seriously...

Rebecca, the pregnant woman who was a massive cunt to Clem?
Alvin, the hilariously inept husband?
Sarah, the obnoxiously sheltered shut-in with Carlos the overprotective father watching out for her?
Nick, the bumbling fucking moron who just screws everything up for everyone and wallows in his own self pity?
Walter, the idiotically naive guy who lets anyone and everyone into his little shelter?
Sarita, who really isn't a character and is more of a plot device?

I don't like any of them. In fact, the only characters I was moderately enjoying were both killed off (Pete and Matthew).

I've realized most of the choices I've made have been "Well, I'll just get Clem to be a fucking adult because nobody else is." Carver is a pretty cool villain and I hope he sticks around for a little while, because he's the person I most want to know more about and get to know. I feel that Carver/Clem would be a interesting comparison against Lee/Clem.
400 Days is... interesting. I liked a few of the new characters/decisions (Nate is one of the most interesting characters in the series so far, and Wyatt's story is pretty funny.) but there's almost nothing to do with the main story, and the whole thing is not very satisfying. If you like seeing new characters and having to make tough choices without much info, go for it. If you mainly just care about the Lee/Clem arc and/or can't stand unresolved plots, then pass. Pretty much all you need to know from that DLC is that
if you meet a girl named Becca KILL HER SHE'S A FUCKING EVIL NAZI PSYCHOPATH BITCH

That's a big difference, yeah, but at the same time it's liberating. In S1, I knew that no matter what, I had to protect Clem. Here, I'm basically just looking out for myself. If I can help a few others survive, cool, if not, nothing's really lost. Because let's face it, getting attached to anyone in this game is just asking for trouble. I am going to kill Bonnie and Carver the first chance I get, and feel absolutely no guilt over it.

I like Nick. Yeah he's a screw-up, but after seeing what a dick Pete was to him, I feel bad for the guy. Plus he manned up and apologized to me.

I get the feeling the main relationship in this game is going to be Clem/Carver, which would be pretty cool. So far Carver's the only character who clearly isn't a redshirt, and I think it's going to come down to that "do whatever it takes to survive" attitude vs. Kenny's "family's important be a big hero dude" approach. You never really had that choice in S1. S2 seems to allow you a little more freedom.
Jahudo
Jahudo
Mafia Scum
Jahudo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue May 13, 2014 2:52 pm

Post by Jahudo »

Bump for episode 3 aka the people getting beaten to the brink of death episode.

I guess I'm fine with them moving the story along and already escaping/done with Carver, but I thought they were building up to a bigger showdown with him than what happened. Also I made Clem watch. She's ice cold now.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed May 14, 2014 8:22 am

Post by Umbrage »

I get the feeling the main relationship in this game is going to be Clem/Carver, which would be pretty cool. So far Carver's the only character who clearly isn't a redshirt
welp
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon May 19, 2014 6:40 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I'm really surprised they killed Carver off so quickly. After all the build he had, I assumed he was going to be the main villain.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon May 19, 2014 8:15 pm

Post by pickemgenius »

my main problem with this season although its a nice read and whatever is that I liked just walking around talking to people for however long and it doesnt feel like that's happened all that much here. I also do hate that the alot of the people are borderline insufferable.

Also they seem to be going a tad overboard with the killing off of people. At some point it just lessens the impact.
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

(1:55:11 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's ok drench
(1:55:21 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's perfectly normal for young children to walk in on their parents making love
(1:55:31 AM) Drench394: i can't wait

STREAMING:

www.twitch.tv/xxxpickemgenius
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar
Pronoun: He/they

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:36 am

Post by ChannelDelibird »

Spoiler: Episode 4
Fuck.
#greenshirtthursdays
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:17 am

Post by Claus »

I didn't really like Episode 4. Insufferable characters keep being insufferable characters, and I end up just wanting Clementine to leave the group, but I still feel bound to her being clementine.

The choices you make don't seem to have any impact (even lesser than usual). A bunch of characters die and no one seems to care. There is just so many times that "So and So will remember that" will work on you before you start to gloss over it, when they end up never bringing many of those choices up. There is one egregious example with
the russian kid - even if he is lying (if you choose not to rob him) I would like to at least have had the text option to call him out on his lie

And finally (maybe most important for me), this is the previous to last episode, but there is no direction, no over-reaching arch to look forwards to in the last episode. No big goal, no looming threat, no season-wide secret: just a bunch of characters stumbling from one place to the next.
pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:47 pm

Post by pickemgenius »

so like one episode to tie everything up?

and uh

do I really have to be the one deciding who to kill and shit, like what the fuck.

and seriously why is everyone just waiting on my orders and shit, that makes no fucking sense.

Also who the fuck isn't going to take meds when you have a baby coming crazy soon? AND WHY ARE THEIR RUSSIANS ALL OF A SUDDEN? WHO AND WHAT THE FUCK DECIDED TO THROW IN A GROUP OF RUSSIANS?!?!?!?

idk shit better get tied up somehow or some shit cause idfk anymore.
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

(1:55:11 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's ok drench
(1:55:21 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's perfectly normal for young children to walk in on their parents making love
(1:55:31 AM) Drench394: i can't wait

STREAMING:

www.twitch.tv/xxxpickemgenius
Jahudo
Jahudo
Mafia Scum
Jahudo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:12 pm

Post by Jahudo »

In post 21, Claus wrote:There is one egregious example with
the russian kid - even if he is lying (if you choose not to rob him) I would like to at least have had the text option to call him out on his lie

That bothered me too, seeing as I gave back his medicine. The only explanation I can think of is that he was stealing from the other Russians and there is a sick sister that plays into the last episode. He didn't explain why he was dropping off that bag at the observation deck in the first place.
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:35 pm

Post by Claus »

In post 22, pickemgenius wrote:so like one episode to tie everything up?

That is my big problem with this episode/season: Tie what up? There are no important plot points to tie up. Maybe we will find out what happened to Misha, although even Clem has already forgotten her by now.

In post 23, Jahudo wrote:
In post 21, Claus wrote:There is one egregious example with

That bothered me too, seeing as I gave back his medicine. The only explanation I can think of is that he was stealing from the other Russians and there is a sick sister that plays into the last episode. He didn't explain why he was dropping off that bag at the observation deck in the first place.

I would have been happy if at least there was a "you fucking liar" text option or something. But that is the problem - nothing really matters. No one except Jane seems to care about your choices in this episode.
And then she leaves with some very awkward dialogue/timing

Return to “The Arcade”