Wildstar

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #175 (ISO) » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:06 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Yeah, I loved the game and until yesterday I was still subbed. But with Frost and Cougar and a bunch of the devs leaving, and with the megaservers merge being handled poorly, and with them immediately dropping the "every month new content" promise, and with the optimization for AMD systems still being utter shit... I have to give up. It's sad, because the game design was FANTASTIC! And I was so hyped about this game, I stayed awake until 4AM for the head launch and played my heart out, leveled two characters to max level... but it was so poorly handled from an operations and organizational standpoint that it's going to die. And it sucks. Because it truly was a great game.
green shirt thursdays
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #176 (ISO) » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:20 am

Post by Oman »

For me it was ping. Aussie servers :(
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #177 (ISO) » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:32 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

Just saw the news about Frost leaving and thought a bit about why I didn't get very into it

The zones felt pretty big to me in that in the first major zone I played through i tended to get bogged down in how long I'd already been doing things in that area, especially since each little hub tended to have its own story that was only loosely related to the others near it.
It's cool having that many things going on but it doesn't really lend itself to feeling like you're progressing through a bigger narrative (although the elder cube lore things did help some with that)

and while doing all those quests everything felt like a very very slight upgrade- aside from the shield and weapon slots I don't think I ever actually noticed a piece of equipment actually making me better against the monsters I was currently fighting, especially when it seemed to ramp up to a lot of item slots to keep track of really quickly, so I never really cared about finally finding my first 'good' item for that slot from a big quest chain or boss monster.

The last big part that I don't think is their fault is the lag/input delay during combat for me- I'm on $20/month internet, which is fine for pretty much everything else I do, but isn't quite good enough for Wildstar I think. Being unable to really strategize in fights when you know that you can't rely on your abilities triggering right after another really hurt the combat for me.

I really liked a lot of the mechanics and concepts of the combat system+events+endgame though and I am a bit sad that it looks like it might be going downhill.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #178 (ISO) » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:38 am

Post by Oman »

The bit about type internet and lag is literally all of Australia except a few people in Melbourne.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #179 (ISO) » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:09 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I didn't mind the big zones, as it's essentially the same thing as having small zones with travel time between each one. Overall, the time it took to level all the way is less than in other MMOs. And different areas in each zone felt completely different with different themes. I really enjoyed the leveling process, actually, but it did feel like just a moving hallway, almost, towards the ultimate destination: dungeons.

The dungeons were fucking PERFECT. I have never had that much fun strategizing and failing at dungeons in an MMO. Even complete wipes were fun because the telegraph system provided interesting new mechanics that I had never seen before in an MMO. I don't think quest upgrades SHOULD feel like a big power spike, but those dungeon items? Hell yes did they make you feel awesome. I loved all the cosmetic items and upgrades, I loved the content releases, I loved the passion the dev team seemed to have... but they had a terrible QA process that lead to way too many bugs being pushed to live. (And don't even get me started on optimization.)

Ironically, their biggest problem is that they delivered on their seemingly impossible promise: making a hardcore game for hardcore players. Even people like me, who love MMOs and would consider myself a pretty hardcore (or at least non-casual) player... the attunement process at endgame just took way too long and was way too hard unless you had a damn good guild, and even then, with my guild, we had trouble clearing the first veteran dungeon with a bronze medal, let alone silver. They're getting rid of the silver medal requirement now and fixing some of the unwieldy-ness of the attunement process at endgame, but it's too little, too late. They've lost a lot of their core devs, and while megaservers and content tweaks might fix most of the issues, it's too late for a lot of people.

Maybe if they manage to stabilize I'll check it out again in a year and see how it's doing.
green shirt thursdays
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #180 (ISO) » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:56 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

Got an email with a code for 7 free days- probably gonna see if the lag issues are better when I log in tomorrow
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #181 (ISO) » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:25 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

I just started my WoW subscription but I plan on giving this another go after I upgrade my computer
green shirt thursdays
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #182 (ISO) » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:21 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

Also since they merged into megaservers you now need a first and last name instead of just one character name

so that's a bit of a pain but I do actually really like the name Gamma Reisz now
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #183 (ISO) » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:37 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

How is it?
green shirt thursdays
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #184 (ISO) » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:50 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

haven't faced any lag issues at all like I used to so far, the zones I've been in seem kind of deserted but that's probably to be expected since I'm only level 15 and have been playing in off-hours
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #185 (ISO) » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:39 pm

Post by BROseidon »

I'm considering getting this game.

Should I do this?
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #186 (ISO) » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:43 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

It's a wasteland right now but it's a great fucking game. I stopped playing because optimization was shit for AMD CPUs but I fully plan on coming back to it after my Warlords of Draenor phase is over.
green shirt thursdays
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #187 (ISO) » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:05 am

Post by Gammagooey »

Finally got into an adventure and it starts lagging and d/cs me from it after 10 minutes : /

wellllp
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #188 (ISO) » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:08 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

gg
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #189 (ISO) » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:36 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

HEYYY this went F2P today

super excite

patching now, gonna play tomorrow :)
green shirt thursdays
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #190 (ISO) » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:17 pm

Post by JDodge »

In post 189, xRECKONERx wrote:HEYYY this went F2P today

super excite

patching now, gonna play tomorrow :)

the servers almost function at a playable level, too!
stream

ffxiv/speedrunning sometimes/other things?
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #191 (ISO) » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:38 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

Finally playing tonight! I think new char creation is still bugged but BBM & I are having a riot dying over and over in the lvl 10 intro dungeon
green shirt thursdays
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #192 (ISO) » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:53 pm

Post by chamber »

If I wanted to play with you guys what hole in the party is largest?
Taking a break from the site.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #193 (ISO) » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:51 am

Post by chamber »

Why on earth are the default bindings so bad? a/d should be strafe and q/e should be turn, thats standard, also why not the numlock numbers for abilities when the are already having you move with your right hand? Those simple changes made the game so much more playable for me.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #194 (ISO) » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:43 am

Post by chamber »

So, having played up till lvl 11 now; I don't understand why they'd introduce the cool telegraph system, and then make you fight large groups of mobs where you just face tank most of it anyway. doesn't feel rewarding at all. The only times I've died is because I jumped from too high.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #195 (ISO) » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:56 pm

Post by Oman »

Honestly, yeah you can face tank most of the attacks early on, especially if you're a tankier class. However, that's learning curve dungeons are glorious and require so much dodging, and the bigger levels
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #196 (ISO) » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:04 pm

Post by chamber »

Maybe I'm just junk but it wasn't that i COULD facetank it all (I'm playing an assault rating esper), it's that I found myself fighting groups of 6+ enemies all the time and with 2 bars of stamina dodging everything is impossible with their system.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #197 (ISO) » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:11 pm

Post by Oman »

Why are you pulling so many mobs :D unless they've drastically changed the area design and enemy density?
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #198 (ISO) » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:15 pm

Post by chamber »

I wouldn't know if area design has changed. But sometimes it forced me to pull like 20.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #199 (ISO) » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:30 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I don't know what gaps we have. I'm leveling an Esper mainly for healing. I have a max level Engineer. I would wager we really need a tank of some kind because BBM is playing DPS.

Not sure what kind of issues you're having... but if you were only up to level 11, you haven't really hit the main difficulty curve. But it also may be that you're outleveling the content. If you're doing all the tasks then you're going to outlevel content pretty quickly. I don't even do the tasks -- I just do zone/story/region quests and try to make sure I'm doing quests that are 1-3 levels ahead of where I am.

I had similar complaints re: telegraph system while questing, but it certainly becomes more difficult with the lvl 15 zone and increases after that. Also, the telegraph system comes into heavy play during dungeons & group content.
green shirt thursdays

Return to “The Arcade”