Lets Talk Pen & Paper RPGs (All systems welcome!)

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #750 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 9:14 am

Post by Nexus »

One of my friends from uni creates 1 Page RPGs, which include Honey Heist and BIG GAY ORCS! He and his best friend also have a podcast called Hearty Dice Friends where they offer RPG advice and go off on tangents.

They've also created a system called Unbound where the players and GM create the world together - an example of this is here.

Basically, i love RPGs.
Trans rights are human rights.
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #751 (ISO) » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:34 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

In post 748, SleepyKrew wrote:I am in two 5e campaigns it's fun
three* help me
To be clear: quack
Shiro
Shiro
Jack of All Trades
Shiro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #752 (ISO) » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:26 pm

Post by Shiro »

In post 751, SleepyKrew wrote:
three* help me
Same here but pathfinder(Also dming one), eats up a lot of time for sure buuuut it's fun.
To me:
shiro you are a charmer you were obvscum but for some reason people just wouldn't eliminate you ~Antihero
About me:
I stg this is how conversations with Lucifer go. ~Papa Zito
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #753 (ISO) » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:03 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

In post 752, Shiro wrote:
In post 751, SleepyKrew wrote:
three* help me
Same here but pathfinder(Also dming one), eats up a lot of time for sure buuuut it's fun.
Hi. Sun, Mon, Tues, every other Wed are all campaigns. I GM on the in-between Wed and Fri, with occasional Thurs bonus sessions.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #754 (ISO) » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:18 pm

Post by Claus »

So my group finished the 5e HoTDQ/RoT that I was DM'ing, after two TPKs (once to mind flayers, who raised the parties as thralls, and a second time to an ancient black dragon).

After the second TPK, I decided that it would be disappointing to end the campaign without the final encounter, so I told the group that the Harpers decided to (with the help of bahamut) perform a ritual which would summon the parties as Shades for the final battle, with the understanding that they would have to face their final destinies after that. I gave each player one chance (side-quest) to tie-off loose ends before that, and it turned out actually quite well.

So here is my piece of advice: Rocks fell, and every one died? Go straight for the last page and make all characters undead :-P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVmAG0RXmo
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #755 (ISO) » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:09 pm

Post by GuyInFreezer »

Some of us scummers gathered 'round and played a zap session of Paranoia today! Lot of zaps were done, lot of lulz were had, and of course the mission was a failure.
But hey!
Players survived!
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #756 (ISO) » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:45 am

Post by DeathNote »

Anyone play the "end of the world" campaigns?
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #757 (ISO) » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:55 am

Post by Nexus »

Spire is the creator of Goblin Quest's new game, and having play tested it, it is a lot of fun. Please support them!
Trans rights are human rights.
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #758 (ISO) » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:57 pm

Post by Claus »

My groups is now playing "Shadows of the Demon Lord". It is an OK system.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVmAG0RXmo
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #759 (ISO) » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:28 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

I ran Honey Heist for a small group of friends tonight, and it went quite well!

HoneyCon was located in a lakeside wilderness retreat and run by a young teen girl, who promised all attendees a wonderful time and that they'd get to enjoy her daddy's special "Black Orchid Honey" at the end of the convention. Our bear party did some prep for their arrival by having their "Incompetent Grizzly Hacker" actually successfully hack the HoneyCon forums to spread some rumors of possible issues that may occur during the convention to put everyone on edge ahead of time.

Then they swam up in the lake to see the 5 cabins the convention was being held in, a couple docks, and a very bright pink boat. The "Slick Polar Muscle" bear carefully swam underneath it, lifted it a touch out of the water, and swam with it on its back to make it look like it was moving. As the armed guards checked on the boat, the "Retired Polar Face" convinced them that the convention organizer had asked him to move the boat to the other dock. This, however, was a distraction, as the grizzly swam up by the other dock and started looking in cabin windows to find honey. They found a group of people in bee suits spreading painted honey across their faces like face paint. The grizzly decided this was some great honey to try to run off with, and dove into the window. He was successful, but the entire room stopped and stared at him before screaming their heads off, attracting the guards from outside. The slowest guard was attacked by the Muscle, fainted, and the Face took over his uniform and his walkie-talkie.

A lot of shenanigans happened at this point in these two places, before the polar bears found a very bright pink cabin with what looked like a vault of some sort in the corner and a couple of guards. The Muscle linebacker'd the guards down and knocked them unconscious, but neither of them could open the vault. While this was happening, the Grizzly ran across the sleeping cabin, terrified the sleeping millenials by pounding on the door trying to get in, and then mauled the first one to leave the cabin. This got the attention of the father of the convention organizer, who left his cabin and found the nearest guard he could to determine what was going on. This guard, of course, was the Polar Bear wearing the guard outfit. The father saw through his disguise after lifting his hat off his head, slammed the door in the bear's face, and hit a panic room switch, causing the cabin to lower into the ground to safety. It's at this point that the rival gang of bears showed up, The Forebearers! Everyone descends on the pink cabin except the grizzly, who goes back to the bee suit cabin and just goes crazy, ripping off honey-covered faces and throwing them into a pot to devour the honey from later. Meanwhile, the muscle claws and claws at the vault, but can't open it, and this frustration eventually causes him to succumb to his feral nature right as The Forebearers enter the cabin, and he pounces on them, causing a huge fight outside the cabins, distracting The Forebearers from the cabin with the vault.

A large panda chewing on bamboo sneaks behind this into the cabin where the Face is still hiding, wearing his guard costume, which he realizes has a can of bear mace in it, but sadly it's empty. However, the panda doesn't know this! So he pretends to spray the mace and kicks some dirt in the panda's face, causing the panda to stumble around, bump into the wall, exposing a panel of several buttons behind a painting, and also knocking himself out as he falls. The Face yells for the Grizzly, who successfully hacks the panel to open the way down inside the vault. Inside the vault is the little girl who organized the convention, crying that everything's gone so wrong, and how the black honey was stupid anyway because her daddy didn't want her to have it, so she just gave it to the bears. The bears ascended the ladder out of the vault, meeting up with her father back in the cabin, who just wants to make sure that his girl is ok and hasn't eaten this black honey. The bears somehow convince him that she is, and he goes down into the vault. The bears, hearing sirens approaching up the main road, dive out of the cabin window and run over to the boat, which is back by the docks. They both climb in. The Face is exhausted, as he had retired once before, so he eats some of the Black Orchid honey for strength. At this same moment, the Grizzly starts the boat and realizes he wants all the honey for himself and he'll turn in his old friend to get it! So he boots the Face off the boat onto the docks and drives the boat off, leaving the Face, who is succumbing to the honey's magical effects and becoming a rebellious teenage goth as the police and animal control arrive at the camp.

It was
glorious
. Everyone had a great time, even those who were a bit nervous about a one-shot like this, since it's outside of their normal comfort zone. It ended about as well as a heist movie could end, and got everyone interested in doing more palate cleanser one-shots in the future(since this was an off week as our normal GM couldn't run this week). I would definitely recommend Honey Heist, and am probably going to back the writer on Patreon, since I definitely want to support things like this.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #760 (ISO) » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:09 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

Hey GMs, any of you have good festival games that could ve translated to a tabletop rpg?
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #761 (ISO) » Mon May 07, 2018 2:23 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

Bump. Looking for suggestions on how people build homebrew world/campaigns, as I have an idea floating around and a world mostly built, but it's the building of the campaign that makes me not certain after doing APs for so long.

Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #762 (ISO) » Tue May 08, 2018 7:16 am

Post by Glork »

There are a lot of different ways you could go about creating a homebrew. Many homebrews start with a thematic concept -- for example the world I created for the 5e campaign I'm running right now has hundreds (thousands?) of gods of varying influence, and religion is an aspect of virtually every sentient being's every day life. Other homebrew worlds may revolve around an event that scarred the land/plane/etc, or something else. If you have an idea floating around in your head, I will assume that you have said theme or focal point figured out. From there, you need to make some basic decisions. Is this world going to be used for a single campaign? If so, what level is your party going to start at, and what sorts of things will you have them doing first?

Some DMs like to build their worlds from the ground up. In the example of my campaign, I had the "gods are everywhere" theme, with some vague story arc ideas floating around but nothing concrete. So what I focused on was the city that the party would start on, and a decent plot hook to get them going for the first few sessions. I vaguely outlined some of the regions/continents around them, but (in keeping with the idea that the player characters have more local knowledge than global knowledge) only detailed the immediate surrounding areas. As the players went through this initial mini-arc, I was able to work in triggers and connections for character/background arcs and the first major story arc they will go through. In doing so, they are now traveling away from their "home" city, and I get to build that part of my world next.

Other DMs, however, like to build out the world at a very LARGE scale first. This is particularly likely to be the case if you already have a major/central campaign plot in your head that will involve any substantial amount of travel. Say the party needs to go far out into the desert of a distant land to stop a powerful wizard-turned-lich from corrupting the world. If that's the case, you probably have at least a vague idea of how you want them to get there over the course of the entire campaign, and what sorts of things you want them to encounter/deal with along the way. You might have a few ideas for different cities/kingdoms, civilizations, geographical features, dungeons/towers/etc, that you want them to go through. If that's the case, great! Start with your bigger-picture structure and work on the details from there.

Ultimately, how you build your world is really up to you. The main thing I would keep in mind, though is this:
You don't have to know every bit of detail at the start of the campaign.
In fact, I would argue that you SHOULDN'T have it mapped out to explicit detail, because IMO any great DM will tweak, alter, or change things to make the story and experience more personal and engaging to their party. For example, my "plot-hook" arc was supposed to just be 2-3 sessions long, to get the party introduced to each other and on the same page as a team. Instead it lasted about 10 sessions, and during its course I worked the plot of that arc with a major character plot of one of the players. I also have added little tidbits here and there that weren't in my original plan, but got introduced because of a specific character's history or backstory.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #763 (ISO) » Tue May 08, 2018 7:21 am

Post by Randomnamechange »

i recommend if you can afford it picking up the dungeon master's guide. it goes in depth about world building.
i think glork's second para is a good idea if you are new to it. establish the key concepts about your world first (how magic works/if it exists, what the gods are, what different races and factions are prominent etc) and then start to design the world.
vonflare (21:40)
you suck randomidget
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #764 (ISO) » Tue May 08, 2018 7:24 am

In post 757, Nexus wrote:Spire is the creator of Goblin Quest's new game, and having play tested it, it is a lot of fun. Please support them!
figured i might as well bump this bc its incredibly awesome, is available to buy as a pdf here, and should be available to purchase a physical copy soon as well. it is absolutely fantastic and perfect for if you want a focused, narrative based rpg to play. also the lore is absolutely amazing
you suck randomidget
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #765 (ISO) » Tue May 08, 2018 7:25 am

also wooh running dnd for the first time on sunday
for 6 players
and i havent started prepping yet
yay
you suck randomidget
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #766 (ISO) » Tue May 08, 2018 7:32 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

Thank you both, this is a lot of reading and I'm super thankful!

McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #767 (ISO) » Wed May 09, 2018 8:44 am

Post by McMenno »

In post 765, Randomnamechange wrote:also wooh running dnd for the first time on sunday
for 6 players
and i havent started prepping yet
yay
just send a tarrassque their way, should keep 'em busy for a while
mafiascum is on life support
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #768 (ISO) » Wed May 09, 2018 11:01 am

i'm thinking a beholder as the boss before they hit 2nd level atm
you suck randomidget
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #769 (ISO) » Wed May 09, 2018 11:50 am

Post by AniX »

If anyone is interested in seeing the new Pathfinder character I'm running, here she (and her familiar aka main combat tool) is:

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1531831 (Girl)
https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1532228 (Bird)

A flying violent swarm of Ravens pinballing across the battlefield doing 8d6 a round, as mapped out here (if you care about crunch):
(Move) Bird Move Action: Move, end move, 2d6
(Standard) Convert Bird Standard to Move: Move, end move, 2d6 [4d6]
(Move/Immediate) Knight Move/Bird Immediate: Move, Stick Together, End move, 2d6 [6d6]
(Standard) Knight Standard: Attack/Aid Other/Other Action
(Free) 1/round Advancing Bird Free to Move: Move 10 feet upon reducing enemy to 0, end move, 2d6 [8d6]
(Swift) 1/day Extra Bird Move (Quick Runner's Shirt): Move, end move, 2d6

Next level I'm take Piranha Strike which will subtract -2 to AB and add +4 to damage, but since the Raven doesn't roll it's all gravy in the form of another +16 damage per round (assuming discussions on whether swarm attack damage is melee damage).

Her and her raven's story haven't played out fully yet so I don't want to share it publicly, but basically she is a minor noble whose family was wiped out in Not-Ireland and was taken in by a "Raven" who is clearly an agent of a dark (possibly evil, definitely chaotic) patron grooming her for some sort of destiny, so a lot of the tension in the character is the influence the Raven holds over her and, in turn, the influence the patron has over the raven, while at the same time the true affection they have for one another.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #770 (ISO) » Wed May 09, 2018 12:55 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

Did you roll for those stats?

EDIT: Nevermind I missed the +1 to an ability score once you hit level 4. That's a 20PB. Looks solid enough, but the 20 con confuses me.

Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #771 (ISO) » Wed May 09, 2018 1:07 pm

Post by Glork »

In post 768, Randomnamechange wrote:i'm thinking a beholder as the boss before they hit 2nd level atm
A beholder against a bunch of first level characters?
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #772 (ISO) » Wed May 09, 2018 1:09 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

He's... being sarcastic.

McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #773 (ISO) » Wed May 09, 2018 1:20 pm

Post by McMenno »

In post 768, Randomnamechange wrote:i'm thinking a beholder as the boss before they hit 2nd level atm
what does your party look like

if it's all mystics they might take it down
mafiascum is on life support
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #774 (ISO) » Wed May 09, 2018 6:45 pm

Post by AniX »

In post 770, animorpherv1 wrote:Did you roll for those stats?

EDIT: Nevermind I missed the +1 to an ability score once you hit level 4. That's a 20PB. Looks solid enough, but the 20 con confuses me.
Familiar HP is based off the HP of the master (half rounded down, and then half again when it swarms up), and familiars aren't exactly built with being main frontline combat fighters in mind, so I wanted to make sure the bird swarm could take a beating.

I probably didn't need THAT much HP but the rest of the stats matter much less than normal since the human doesn't really DO much in combat except activate Swarm on her first turn then set the bird up with Escape Route and Stick Together afterwards. Other than that, the only stats I needed not dumped were Int and Con (Evolved Familiar requires them both at 13) and Dex so the human doesn't have shit AC. So why NOT pump Con as high as it will go and give both parties a good health buffer?
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN

Return to “The Arcade”