Heroes of the Storm

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Kise
Kise
Jack of All Trades
Kise
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:25 pm

Post by Kise »

Kise#1736

don't laugh at my real name :|
They have escaped into the mansion where they thought it was safe.

Yet…
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:13 pm

Post by Glork »

I'm level 9 currently. I've only played co-op matches so far, but hey: Glork#1521 (although I think I've posted that already in this thread).

I'm digging Raynor, and I liked Tyrael when he was free last week. I might pick him up.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:21 pm

Post by Brandi »

I think that the fact that you can level up free week heroes, get the gold for them, and their levels save for when you finally buy them is nice
I mean this system is definitely not Dota where all heroes are all free always but it's still a step up from LoL
Also the fact that there is no specific in game currency for buying things with money. So you don't have to worry about "oh no I have 400 RP sitting on my account and the champion I want is 475 guess I better spend FIVE MORE DOLLARS"
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:21 am

Post by quadz08 »

that is nice, yeah

I do think that I dislike that the only in-game strength level is teamwide - seems that it's extremely snowbally
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:52 am

Post by Brandi »

Nah it's actually the opposite. IME, the game has the highest potential for comebacks compared to any other moba. It's extremely team work oriented. No one person gets all of the "power" with the rest of your team starving.
If a team does completely dominate another one team consistently it is because they are just more organized and the other doesn't know what they are doing.The problem with the game is actually the matchmaking, because it's beta and new people are coming in from time to time. You can get matched with sporadic levels of competence.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:09 am

Post by Iecerint »

I definitely don't know what I'm doing really. I would like a link to the ranked meta do that I can rage from other than a position of ignorance.
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:17 am

Post by Brandi »

Well I am no expert that's for sure but here's some potentially helpful links

https://www.hotslogs.com/Default

And here is a list of tier lists, the credibility of which I am uncertain. I guess it depends on which streamers and pro teams you trust the most~
http://www.liquidneo.com/tierbuilds.html
http://heroesofthestorm.github.io/zuna-tierlist
Kise
Kise
Jack of All Trades
Kise
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:42 am

Post by Kise »

Not sure what happened but my team was down 4 kills and somehow ended up 3 levels behind, despite splitting xp and collecting those spider tributes. Lili-Sonya was pretty broken in teamfights--Sonya healed from e and Lili, but if you try to jump on Lili, she gets more movespeed? I didn't know either of those things at the time so it was frustrating trying to kill those two. Oh and her heal is only 30 mana on a 3 second CD...and one of her talents also provides a healing ward

zzzzzzzzzzz

Edit: I meant to say I agree with Quadz. If there are 5 people all several levels ahead of the enemy team, it's tough to do anything. We struggled to even turtle because towers and minions don't have the same aggro setting as in other mobas.

Yet…
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:07 am

Post by Brandi »

You haven't had that many experiences yet and you are still in a low level. It's really hard to make a judgement like that when the experience levels of the players in your games are so very far apart.

Sonya and Lili are two of the absolute WORST heroes in the game.
(Note: by worst I don't mean they are bad. They have their place! There are just much better picks)
When I started playing they seemed strong ridiculously strong to me too. Lili is the least versatile support and Sonya has the second to last winrate in the game of about 45%.

Lili is easily shut down with hard CC and the knowledge to kill her healing ward. (Which takes 1 auto attack)

If she takes her 1000 jugs ult and you cc her as it starts, it will be quickly over and you can instantly win a fight against her like that.
If she takes the dragon ult, which is very uncommon, she has less healing potential. It's not a bad pick for her if she has other healers on her team or if her team lacks CC, but she will actually be harder to kill with that ult as she can use it as a means of escape.
The thing that makes Lili seem "OP" and "unkillable" Is possibly her level 20 skill, kung fu hustle. Which rapidly decreases the cooldowns of all of her skills as she takes damage. With this, she could be ulting every 10~ seconds in extended fights where she takes massive damage and be healing on almost no cooldown.
Lili's who go the serpent build are either experimenting or want to be damage dealers and don't care about their team. They are generally the easiest to kill and will run out of mana fast and cannot really save their team mates.
Lili is also one of the EASIEST and NOOB FRIENDLY heroes in the game. Anyone with low skill can pick her up and do well with her. She's like Sona in LoL in that she just presses buttons and things happen.

Anyway I can 100% say that
I have seen more games that were a 180 comeback than I have games that were a complete stomp.
My acc is level 40 with over 100 games played which isn't a large sample size. But things were MUCH different within the first 20 levels of play when I had almost no clue what was going on.

The highest level gap I have ever seen is 6 levels and that was due to a 4v5. But I've come back from as high as a 4 level gap.
Once the enemy team reaches level 20 there is less and less potential for them to snowball, because each level you gain closes the gap while each level they gain doesn't give them much of an edge at all. Also the higher level they are, the more it takes for them to level. And i you kill even two strong members on their team while you're behind, you will gain a lot of experience. If you are level 20 and they are level 22 the difference really isn't that big. The potential for catch up in this game is MASSIVE. Sure anyone can get ahead, but if you play your cards right you CAN easily get into a reasonable position.

I won a game where our Core was at literally 1% with no other structures and we held it at that for 10 minutes, while they still had outer turrets and a full core. We just stopped being dumb and stopped doing the things that got us so run over in the first place (being separated, taking camps at the wrong time, going for the objective when it wasn't important.... }

Over time you'll probably learn which times the objectives are more mandatory than others. There are times where it's okay to forgo an objective and just push down the enemy core. Like the MINES. If all they have is an open core and the mines open... fuck going in and collecting that shit. Just go as 5 and push down their core. There was a game I won not too long ago where THEY had gotten a bigger golem every single time, and at the 18 minute mark the entire enemy team went into the mines, and our team just pushed down their core. It was a game we were going to lose because we could never win fights due to having a weak team comp but were actually good at pushing. (Had an Azmodan + AA Valla)

My point is that while it may feel like you are dealing with intense uncontrollable snowballing, you are not. You are dealing with teams that just know to play more than your do. How can you expect to come back from something when your teams general knowledge of the game doesn't give them that ability? If you go and play any game vs someone who knows it better than you you generally don't expect anything more than a fluke to help you win.

The number one complaint I read about from people who come into this game from LoL is actually the LACK of snowball potential.
"How can I be #1 on my team if everyone is so equal"
Everyone wants to be the star, wants to hold all the gold for themselves, enjoy the Penta for themselves. But in HOTS that's not a common reality.

Early kills in this game for example, will not secure your fate at all. You'll get a slight exp lead- but your game wont be determined by "first blood"
Getting the first objective will also not secure your fate.
Consistent teamwork and knowledge of how the game works will.

And I'm not saying the game isn't flawed at all because it is. Illidin is the most broken hero and still hasn't been fixed. I hate him with a burning passion but I play champs that can counter him. (Brightwing)

There are still plenty of things in LoL I prefer over this game too. But this wall of text is just mostly a reflection of how I felt when I started OUT compared to how I feel now and it is massively different. Also no one has been really discussing much about the game more than talking about getting into it.

Also sorry if my tone sounds like I'm being condescending or something, I don't mean to be like "lol you just don't know better" more like "I felt exactly like this and my thoughts changed and here's my experiences that helped it" ;-; I'm just actually very excited and into talking about the game and my experiences. I wanna play with you guys soon when I get time. I added like everybody.
Kise
Kise
Jack of All Trades
Kise
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:16 pm

Post by Kise »

The wall is fine and helpful (THX) but...I'm still confused on what happened in my particular game. I remember the Azmodan was also a prick but mostly because he was going death-laser build, and the best cc my team had was probably slows. I played with randoms so I didn't have a chance to recommend disruptive heroes -- btw are they planning to do draft?

Also I checked my history and apparently we lost a 5v4 zzzz I'm trash

Yet…
ooba
ooba
Jack of All Trades
ooba
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:03 pm

Post by ooba »

In post 84, Kise wrote:The wall is fine and helpful (THX) but...
I'm still confused on what happened in my particular game.
I remember the Azmodan was also a prick but mostly because he was going death-laser build, and the best cc my team had was probably slows. I played with randoms so I didn't have a chance to recommend disruptive heroes -- btw are they planning to do draft?

Also I checked my history and apparently we lost a 5v4 zzzz I'm trash

Upload your game reply. We might be able to point out strategic mistakes.

Draft is available in team mode and hero mode. You'll need 10 heroes and acc. level 40 to play that though.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:49 am

Post by Maestro »

I miss this. I'll play more soon since I'm always on Diablo III with Klazam / on Hearthstone on my iPhone.
Btw, if nobody has downloaded it yet, it also serves as a very basic and battery-draining mobile B.net chat system. :P

Is Tassadar still OP? He was the first one I wanted to buy with Gold - also Tyrael was fun, I agree with whoever said that.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:15 am

Post by Iecerint »

Vayne -- err, Valla -- is fun to play.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Fri May 29, 2015 3:22 am

Post by Klazam »

So im getting into to this a bit more. (Level 14!)

I own: diablo, Raynor, some random supp (tyrande?) that came with founders' bundle, sgt hammer.

I plan to get: sitches

Im really enjoying diablo, learning how to use sgt hammer, but i need a decent support, and an damage dealerof some flavor. Who do i wanna get? I was thinking of picking up tassadar for supp, but i have absolutely no clue which damage dealer is both good and useful. Do i need to get a ranged one or melee one, for example.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Fri May 29, 2015 3:35 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Jaina and Valla are probably the best ranged damage dealers right now. Tyrande's not a bad support, but Malfurion and Rehgar seem to be the most popular ones right now.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Fri May 29, 2015 4:11 am

Post by PJ. »

Might try this tonight.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Fri May 29, 2015 7:24 am

Post by Wisdom »

In post 88, Klazam wrote:Who do i wanna get?

Raynor is already a great assassin, start there and then pick up Valla who is similar but more popular. Jaina if you want something more ability-based.

My favorite supports are Uther and Brightwing, but that depends on what you are looking for in a support.
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Sat May 30, 2015 8:15 am

Post by JDodge »

hallucinogen#1300 if anyone ever needs an abathur~
stream

ffxiv/speedrunning sometimes/other things?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Sat May 30, 2015 8:16 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

I always need an Abathur :D Best hero to have as a teammate, IMO, but I've never played him myself.
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Sat May 30, 2015 12:54 pm

Post by JDodge »

In post 93, theelkspeaks wrote:I always need an Abathur :D Best hero to have as a teammate, IMO, but I've never played him myself.

I'm still learning him to an extent, but he's probably got the highest knowledge cap of any hero - playing him effectively means having complete and 100% map awareness in addition to knowledge of the limitations and abilities of every single hero on your team (which basically means knowing every single hero in the game well enough to understand that as well). His talent build is also very fluid - it varies a lot depending on who's on your team and what map you're on. For instance, on tier 1, if you need stronger early game or don't really have a support then you take Regenerative Microbes for the healing, Survival Instincts if you want to go locust build, and Pressurized Glands most every other time, ESPECIALLY if you have an Illidan (in which case it's pretty much mandatory).
stream

ffxiv/speedrunning sometimes/other things?
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:42 pm

Post by PJ. »

Any new/newer people looking to tag team games to learn together? Cause i just installed this bitch.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:48 pm

Post by PJ. »

Yeah, this is okay, but it feels very not serious.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:51 pm

Post by Iecerint »

In post 96, PJ. wrote:Yeah, this is okay, but it feels very not serious.
pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:57 pm

Post by pickemgenius »

In post 96, PJ. wrote:Yeah, this is okay, but it feels very not serious.

I can't believe you played Malfurion for you first game LOL.
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

(1:55:11 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's ok drench
(1:55:21 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's perfectly normal for young children to walk in on their parents making love
(1:55:31 AM) Drench394: i can't wait

STREAMING:

www.twitch.tv/xxxpickemgenius
pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:07 pm

Post by pickemgenius »

Falstad p good:

Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

(1:55:11 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's ok drench
(1:55:21 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's perfectly normal for young children to walk in on their parents making love
(1:55:31 AM) Drench394: i can't wait

STREAMING:

www.twitch.tv/xxxpickemgenius

Return to “The Arcade”