Yomi (A Fantasystrike game)

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: he/him

Yomi (A Fantasystrike game)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:06 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

So I've recently discovered this cool game on fantasystrike called Yomi. Basically, it's like a card game and a fighting game crossed, though unlike many other card games you only get to choose a deck, but not customize it (i.e. you can choose one of 20 pre-made decks, but can't modify it further).

Each turn, each player plays a card, and there's simultaneous reveal according to a RPS system of Attack > Throw > Dodge/Block > Attack. If both players Attack or both players Throw, the attack/throw with the lower speed number wins. A successful Attack/Throw/Dodge lets the players play bonus cards in a combo to damage the opponent harder than just with the card played. It's an interesting game about balancing Risks and Rewards and trying to out head-game your opponent.

I'm still pretty bad, but I like playing it.

Anyone else here on MS play it?
BipolarChemist
BipolarChemist
he/they
Mafia Scum
BipolarChemist
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:36 am

Post by BipolarChemist »

I've played it a couple of times and enjoyed it! It ends up being a much deeper Rock/Paper/Scissors, where you can kinda keep track of the other player's deck to try and figure out what they might play next. This is definitely one where you can pick up on another player's patterns, but you need to be constantly changing your own, because it is so easy to fall into one. I thought it would end up being a complete WIFOM game, but it's ends up being more like 50% strategy/30% luck/20% screwing with the other person.

I haven't played it in a while, but I think I was about 50/50 on wins and losses. Picking up a copy for myself might be something I need to do!
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:54 am

Post by GreyICE »

I've played, but I ended up going with
BattleCON
as my preferred fighting game system. I like the lack of randomness and the range mechanics.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones

Return to “The Arcade”