Roguelikes

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:21 pm

Post by Kagami »

Secret crawl tip: Berzerker is vastly better than every other background.

I liked nethack a lot. Once you know EVERYTHING about it, which surprisingly isn't that hard, it becomes less fun.

I was thinking about getting sunless sea, but I've heard mixed things. Beyond the storytelling element, it sounds tedious. I also hear that the roguelike component is fairly slight; it sounds like the map differences aren't especially substantial.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:06 am

Post by popsofctown »

If you're trying to clear the first floor, Beserker is the best class. If you're trying to get your first rune, Beserker is the best class. If you're trying to beat the game for the first time, an Orc Warrior worshipping Beogh is probably the best, closely followed by Beserker, closely followed by a lot of things. I actually tried to win with Beserker a lot of times and never did, dying in Vaults or the low main dungeon when the Beserk power stops doing very much. I finally won with a Deep Elf Mage that worshipped Cheibrados that scaled into the later game much better.

Crawl is a cool game. It's kind of isolating though, being single player and not being something all the cool kids are talking about. And I'm too isolated as it is..
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:43 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

GrFi/MiFi of Ru is probably the best way to 3 rune
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:05 am

Post by popsofctown »

Is Ru a new god
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:33 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

Yeah, like a version or two ago.

You periodically make a choice to sacrifice one of three things. Maybe it's three schools of magic you're not allowed to use, or it's your armor skill, all the way up to sacrificing an arm (!!!). The sacrifices give you piety. However, Ru abilities don't actually take away piety, just cause exhaustion or skill drain. So yeah you give up some stuff, but you gain really powerful abilities you can spam. Passive aura that debuffs people who attack you (even up to blindness), a heal/cleanse, a reposistion, and a massive AoE nuke. For three rune games (and especially as a newbie) when you're not likely to utilize hybridization that well, she's insanely strong. Probably a little less good in extended but even then I'm sure she'd still be fine, not like lategame Yred or anything.

Ru is probably the strongest god but the sacrifice decisions are also meaningful and fun, so it's fine.

Also Ru's wrath is amazing. She just...does nothing, because you've already made all these sacrifices and now you're just not getting anything from them. It's one of the coolest thematic things in Crawl (right up there with the draconian who worshiped Dith, got red scales, and had to avoid breathing fire for religious reasons)
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:44 am

Post by popsofctown »

What I hate the most about crawl is that all the mechanics and numbers are so hidden and difficult to know. I get something with +1 Dex and don't have enough feel for what that means for me. You just have to get the +1 dex item over and over again and learn to estimate how helpful that is, I guess. I wish there was a log that displayed to-hit rolls and other stuffs.
"Well, I..."
kanyeknowsbest
kanyeknowsbest
mafi ascum
kanyeknowsbest
mafi ascum
mafi ascum

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:38 pm

Post by kanyeknowsbest »

crawls really easy to win but its fun to play dumb combos and see what kinda shit you can get away w.
add me on snapchat and vine and twitter and instagram : ]
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:56 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 25, Kagami wrote:I was thinking about getting sunless sea, but I've heard mixed things. Beyond the storytelling element, it sounds tedious.

Tedious is one word for it. It's a slow paced game, but you meet plenty along the way, it's not boring in that sense. Just quite laid-back. And sometimes that's nice in a game. It may not be your thing, but that's for you to judge ;)
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:36 am

Post by popsofctown »

Dungeon Crawl has a terrific, high difficulty level if you're bad at roguelikes like I am.
"Well, I..."
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:39 am

Post by vonflare »

i recently tried infra arcana, m not sure how i feel about it yet.
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:49 pm

Post by Ythan »

just comin in here to shit on everything and tell you what isn't a roguelike

stay tuned
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:22 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 10, Untrod Tripod wrote:NetHack

A friend of mine from college ascended with 11/13 conducts with no save scumming.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:23 am

Post by BROseidon »

This War of Mine is the only Roguelike I've really enjoyed, and that's mostly because of how immersive and depressing it is.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:51 am

Post by Ythan »

In post 36, BROseidon wrote:
In post 10, Untrod Tripod wrote:NetHack

A friend of mine from college ascended with 11/13 conducts with no save scumming.

Bones stuffing?
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:56 am

Post by BROseidon »

I don't think so.

He just played way too much nethack
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:03 am

Post by Ythan »

foodless/vegan/vegetarian
atheist
pacifist
never hit with a wielded weapon
illiterate
never polymorph an object
never change form
genocideless
wishless/artifact wishless

That's nine you can have, plus three which are lesser versions of others for a total of twelve. I thought that number seemed high.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:49 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Wait there's only 11 conducts. I think he got like 9 or 10/11
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:37 am

Post by BROseidon »

Bumpppppppppp.

For anyone who likes roguelikes, Darkest Dungeon is definitely pretty good.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:37 am

Post by BROseidon »

I've been having a lot of fun with it so far.
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:08 am

Post by Gammagooey »

I've been playing a lot of sunless sea, the stories are interesting and the concept is great but it's
really
hard to justify the amount of time you have to sink into it in between the interesting story bits once you've explored most of the map, especially since by that point it's no longer a roguelike, the only time you'll have a risk of dying is if you do something that you know is probably a bad idea but you try it anyway because there's nothing else interesting until you get halfway across the map/go back to london.

Plus after the 2nd or 3rd late-game death you're just going to see a lotttttt of the same content for any future runs and it'll take you hours and hours to work your way back up to the same size ship as you had before unless you stockpiled a lot of heirlooms to catch back up quickly.
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:47 pm

Post by Glork »

So, I picked up A Wizard's Lizard when it was on sale on Steam during the holidays, finally got around to playing it.

It's not terribly complex or long, but it's pretty fun and definitely worth getting if it goes on sale for like $5 or less.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:06 am

Post by DiamondSentinel »

As far as quasi-roguelikes go, I really enjoy Risk of Rain.

FTL is probably my favorite roguelike, but I don't like a lot of roguelikes.
“Why was I chosen?'
'Such questions cannot be answered,' said Gandalf. 'You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess. But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.”
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:59 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

Yo, has anyone played Fear Equation? Looks kinda roguelike, and pretty decent.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:43 am

Post by implosion »

Necroing (hah) because necrodancer dlc was released yesterday and it really is quite good. Been in early access for probably a few months now maybe more and the full dlc has quite a bit of nifty stuff. 4ish new characters, a bunch of new modes, a smattering of just about everything else. Some of the new characters are really interesting and some of the new modes are just flat out hilarious.
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:23 pm

Post by vonflare »

In post 48, implosion wrote:Necroing (hah) because necrodancer dlc was released yesterday and it really is quite good. Been in early access for probably a few months now maybe more and the full dlc has quite a bit of nifty stuff. 4ish new characters, a bunch of new modes, a smattering of just about everything else. Some of the new characters are really interesting and some of the new modes are just flat out hilarious.
yep I'm loving the new characters. Currently working on 8000 gold as Nocturna achievement. Best strat I've found so far is resetting for a good 1-1 shop and killing the shopkeeper for the stuff + crown of greed and then playing the rest of the game without spending any gold.

I'm having some serious trouble with Mary though. Fuck dragons.
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.

Return to “The Arcade”