Fallout 4

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
ConManMick
ConManMick
Dear Derry
ConManMick
Dear Derry
Dear Derry

Fallout 4

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:57 am

Post by ConManMick »

WHERE IS THIS THREAD? IT IS HERE NOW.
Welcome to this wonderful thread of Fallout goodness.
/DISCUSS
"As everyone knows there is a special guardian angel for drunkards and lovers"
- Alexandre Dumas
TÁL
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:10 am

Post by Brandi »

have you played all of the games?
I'm kind of excited but I don't fully trust Bethesda
I don't wanna be disappointed :[
ConManMick
ConManMick
Dear Derry
ConManMick
Dear Derry
Dear Derry

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:45 pm

Post by ConManMick »

I have recently purchased 1, 2 and T
actics, I own Fallout 3 in German and I have New Vegas on Xbox and PC. Played an hour of 1, getting the hang of it. Back from a trip soon so I'll hard-line that, slowly progress. Need an English copy of Fallout 3 me thinks.
Fallout 4: very excited. I know several people have expresses concerns about it turning into a COD-esque shooter, and I am honestly a tiny bit worried. Building features look, in my opinion, pretty cool, just hope they haven't invested too much time in it. Similarly Vertibird = epic, but I'm of the opinion that, especially with Fallout and Elder Scrolls, story is the key factor. As long as I'm happy with that, the rest of the game can be stick figures for all I care! I'd add more but my next stop is drunkpost thread.
- Alexandre Dumas
TÁL
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:59 pm

Post by Brandi »

I just want a good story with good characters too, good gameplay is also important but I can often overlook some things and graphics are always the least important as long as nothing is a blatant eyesore
ConManMick
ConManMick
Dear Derry
ConManMick
Dear Derry
Dear Derry

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:08 pm

Post by ConManMick »

I'm slightly worried about all chars looking the same because customisation looked cool but a bit limited. I also don't
really
like the new speech system as a Fallout mechanic, similar to SWTOR I find. In that I kept.reverting missions because speech options weren't what I thought, hope that won't be an issue.
Also don't
really
care about the dog though it does look awesome from a mechanics POV.
- Alexandre Dumas
TÁL
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:16 pm

Post by CooLDoG »

Bethesda does really good "micro-environments" where one town is really well designed. However, on the large scale the seem to fail with the in between bits and the interaction between towns. I just feel like it is a bunch of mini-episodes strung together. That is why after I played a shit ton of oblivion no other bethesda rpg has been able to grip me for more than 15 hours or so. For me to buy fallout 4 it will need to be more like gta5 where shit happens all over the place and the world is big, but feels smaller than it is... if that makes any sense.
after a wank.
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:42 am

Post by GuyInFreezer »

Is obsidian doing the scripts?
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:56 am

Post by EspeciallyTheLies »

cooldog i'm really surprised you weren't captured by skyrim. oblivion was very "rinse/repeat" and bethesda acknowledged that by getting different artists for the dungeons.

i've played FO2, FO3 and NV. Of them, FO3 is my favorite just for the tone of the story - I am not really a fan of the radio in NV and it kind of changes the whole feel of the game. But NV had TONS AND TONS AND TONS AND TONS of unique content. I'm still playing it (and Skyrim too).

Very much looking forward to FO4.
Art is cool.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:22 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I've played all the Fallout games so far; I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite. I think the first Fallout is still the truest to the tone I like, since it's the one with the bleakest type of black comedy, while the others turned up the silliness. Fallout 2 is the one I enjoy most mechanically, though it's not aged terribly well.

I'm concerned about Fallout 4 though, given the myriad endings of FNV. I imagine they'd have to do something like FO3 did and set the game somewhere completely different, since I don't know how they can create a world in the established wasteland where any one of NCR, Legion, House, and nobody could have won the war in the Mojave.

I'm also interested in that both J.E. Sawyer and Chris Avelone seem to want to hit the reset button on the wasteland- the NCR is getting too large and stable, and it's stifling the post-apocalyptic feel; I wish I could find the interview where it was mentioned, but Sawyer has said that he wants to basically hit the wasteland with another missile so they can start over again like in FO1, and Avelone has said that he wants the NCR to at least collapse. It'll be neat to see what they actually wind up doing about it.

Or maybe they'll sidestep the issue and have it take place in the Midwest or something; make the story a continuation of the BoS games.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:28 am

It's in Boston. Or rather, Massachusetts area.
Art is cool.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:44 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Which makes it sound like it'll be a continuation from FO3, rather than from FNV. I suppose I should actually look up the announcement for myself before I continue.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:49 am

I wasn't a fan of the legion either. the vegas strip/house aspect was kinda cool i guess, but it really lost the feel from FO3.
Art is cool.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:38 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I like the Legion as villians, from a thematic standpoint, but I don't know that it was executed that well, and siding with them always felt weird- I have yet to complete the game where I side with them, because it felt like there was no legitimate reason for the character to ever assist them.
elusive
elusive
Mafia Scum
elusive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:46 pm

Post by elusive »

Fallout 3 was my first and fave (my dog was a hero in his own right), FN sometimes was glitchy and or draggy. Excited about Fallout 4, hopefully they keep good storytelling and the best parts of F3 and some stuff from FN.

With Fallout, unlike Mass Effect or Dragon Age, the companion characters hold less emotional value at least to me (other then my dog in F3), its more of a solo experience.
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:30 am

Post by CooLDoG »

In post 7, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:cooldog i'm really surprised you weren't captured by skyrim. oblivion was very "rinse/repeat" and bethesda acknowledged that by getting different artists for the dungeons.

well mechanically skyrim is shit compared to oblivion. I really couldn't be assed to install mods to fix a fundamentally broken ui just to look at grey scale winter scenes. Granted, I didn't play very far, but it was very disappointing and I was glad that I got it on sale for nothing. Even if I fixed the UI the super clunky spell system was garbage and trash, clearly from a developer who did not know how to do multi-platform games where the mechanics OF AN RPG (one of the classic pc game generas) are a slave to a shitty system for them. Also, why no create a spell? that was fun, why did it get taken out? Why no cast button? What was wrong with that? It was just a bunch of stupid shit to go through for just yet another Bethesda rpg that is pretty much the same as the last one.

In post 8, Sudo_Nym wrote:I've played all the Fallout games so far; I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite. I think the first Fallout is still the truest to the tone I like, since it's the one with the bleakest type of black comedy, while the others turned up the silliness. Fallout 2 is the one I enjoy most mechanically, though it's not aged terribly well.

I'm concerned about Fallout 4 though, given the myriad endings of FNV. I imagine they'd have to do something like FO3 did and set the game somewhere completely different, since I don't know how they can create a world in the established wasteland where any one of NCR, Legion, House, and nobody could have won the war in the Mojave.

Fallout 1 was completely self-aware and did not give a shit. That is what made the game good. If you played someone with a low intelligence they literally could not speak. If you went to a military base and you were not leveled up to a point where you could take the monster huge ass mutants you would die in probably 2-3 turns. Fallout 3/nv follows into the new-style of computer role playing games: RPGs for pussys. "Aww, poor baby wants to fight the power armored dudes at lvl 1, go ahead, we will weaken them for you." Fallout 4 had better not do that. I'm glad that darksouls has legitimized hard games again, although it probably goes too far.
after a wank.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:20 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

That may be it. I miss the days when RPGs were like "This is were the big monsters live. If you come here, you are going to fight big monsters and if you die, that's on you."
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:32 pm

Post by CooLDoG »

I'm not saying that fallout 3 didn't have its moments (I got pretty far before I burned out, and I might pick it up again with some mods), I just never felt in danger and I never felt like I had agency (borderlands has figured out the rpg shooter way better than fallout).
after a wank.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:38 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Fallout 3 was a big pain for me, just because of the subway system you had to go through because half the cells in DC were barricaded. I wound up watching a Let's Play to see the end.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:21 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 17, Sudo_Nym wrote:Fallout 3 was a big pain for me, just because of the subway system you had to go through because half the cells in DC were barricaded. I wound up watching a Let's Play to see the end.

Fortunately you only have to go through them once and then fast travel can take over.
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:18 am

Post by GuyInFreezer »

Fallout 1 was completely self-aware and did not give a shit. That is what made the game good. If you played someone with a low intelligence they literally could not speak. If you went to a military base and you were not leveled up to a point where you could take the monster huge ass mutants you would die in probably 2-3 turns. Fallout 3/nv follows into the new-style of computer role playing games: RPGs for pussys. "Aww, poor baby wants to fight the power armored dudes at lvl 1, go ahead, we will weaken them for you." Fallout 4 had better not do that. I'm glad that darksouls has legitimized hard games again, although it probably goes too far.

And then fallout NV put aq deathclaw not far from the starting point to "punish" those who wants to skip the tedious storyline and go right through the strip!
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:49 pm

Post by Ythan »

There was a song playing on my TV and I eventually looked up and caught the end of a trailer. Glad to see the music is still fine.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:16 pm

Post by bv310 »

I'm psyched for this, and am actively avoiding all content besides the trailer before release. Don't want shit spoiled for me like New Vegas.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:18 pm

Post by Ythan »

I'm probably doing better not spoiling myself for this than I have for anything else with such a buildup in a long time. But then I have no clue what's going on.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:39 pm

Post by Ythan »

I saw it and I am screaming inside.
ConManMick
ConManMick
Dear Derry
ConManMick
Dear Derry
Dear Derry

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:31 pm

Post by ConManMick »

Have we a been watching the S.P.E.C.I.A.L videos? Very entertaining to say the least!
- Alexandre Dumas
TÁL

Return to “The Arcade”