Super Smash Bros

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Salamence20
Salamence20
Survivor
Salamence20
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:19 am

Post by Salamence20 »

Man Kublai's smashball is OP.

Rip Panzer
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:01 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 49, JDodge wrote:this argument is lacking in the one true game, divekick

While a good game, it is not a smash brothers game.
phokdapolees
phokdapolees
Mafia Scum
phokdapolees
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:23 am

Post by phokdapolees »

In post 5, BROseidon wrote:I'm also friends with the #4 melee player in NorCal.
Do you play Falcon to piss him off
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:47 am

Post by BROseidon »

I don't. I play luigi ^_^

I used to be able to take a stock off him semi-reliably.
Don't think I could anymore, though, since he's gotten much better. 25th at EVO is a great result for him (even taking a game off chu the last time around)
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:48 am

Post by BROseidon »

Melee is a really fun game to watch. I wish it had higher quality casting, though
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:20 am

Post by Porochaz »

In post 19, vonflare wrote:
In post 17, Porochaz wrote:
In post 7, vonflare wrote:I agree that tripping was unnecessary and unfun, but brawl also has better graphics, more stages, more characters, and better single player than melee.

None of the things mentioned made it more fun, in face maybe the opposite. Also the last point is plain wrong.

So you're saying event matches > subspace emmassary?

Yes. Very much so.

Subspace Emissary was a cool concept, but they could have changed all the enemies into grey blobs and the landscape into a black and white blocks and you would of had the same experience.
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:40 am

Post by LlamaFluff »

Ive been trying to get better at smash4 playing for glory as a Yoshi main, but just the skill difference between players is a bit much. Seems like maybe one out of five people you get matched with are of generally equal level. Rest of the time there is a noticeable split in skill where for one side to lose it usually takes a well punished error.
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:06 am

Post by BROseidon »

Does the online matching system not have any sort of MMR?
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:23 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 57, BROseidon wrote:Does the online matching system not have any sort of MMR?

It supposedly does, but if I play for an hour or so I will run into at least a few people who I can two stock and a couple who are going to be two stocking me. Most matches seem to be around the 70-30 split for who is winning.

Other problem is lack of characters you get to play. Easily 50% of all matches are one of ten characters.
Co-host of The USL Show
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:25 pm

Post by JDodge »

In post 51, BROseidon wrote:
In post 49, JDodge wrote:this argument is lacking in the one true game, divekick

While a good game, it is not a smash brothers game.

smash brothers are lacking in the dive department AND the kick department

divekick delivers on both
stream

ffxiv/speedrunning sometimes/other things?
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:42 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 58, LlamaFluff wrote:
In post 57, BROseidon wrote:Does the online matching system not have any sort of MMR?

It supposedly does, but if I play for an hour or so I will run into at least a few people who I can two stock and a couple who are going to be two stocking me. Most matches seem to be around the 70-30 split for who is winning.

Other problem is lack of characters you get to play. Easily 50% of all matches are one of ten characters.

Having 10 characters take up 50% of what's being played is really good for a fighting game. Melee has 13 characters you can play in tournament and not get laughed at for playing, and that's huge.
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:52 am

Post by vonflare »

In post 60, BROseidon wrote:

Having 10 characters take up 50% of what's being played is really good for a fighting game. Melee has 13 characters you can play in tournament and not get laughed at for playing, and that's huge.

Is mewtwo included in that 13?
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:17 am

Post by BROseidon »

That's a dumb question.
SXTLHGaiden
SXTLHGaiden
Mafia Scum
SXTLHGaiden
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:20 am

Post by SXTLHGaiden »

In post 61, vonflare wrote:

Is mewtwo included in that 13?

The king of mewtwos is fairly good in melee.
You're not going to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. S*Gaiden will not make long cases, write stunning insights, or sugar coat his words. He is not the man for multi-paragraph eloquence. He is, however, being honest to a fault, and it comes across in his writing.
- GreyICE
it can help the game for people to be aware that L-1 is L-Gaiden
- popsofctown
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:56 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

The fact that its that many show where I stand in ratings. Still have people using Lucina over Roy and things like that. Its almost all: Roy, Ryu, Lucas, Rosalina, Sonic, Mewtwo, Mac, Mario, Lucina, Link, Ness, Villager. When someone is using something else, they tend to either be really good, or really bad at an alarmingly high rate.

There are some characters like Peach, Bowser Jr, Olimar and PacMan who I have no clue when I saw last
Co-host of The USL Show
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:25 am

Post by vonflare »

We like Ike!
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:35 am

Post by AngryPidgeon »

In post 56, LlamaFluff wrote:Ive been trying to get better at smash4 playing for glory as a Yoshi main, but just the skill difference between players is a bit much. Seems like maybe one out of five people you get matched with are of generally equal level. Rest of the time there is a noticeable split in skill where for one side to lose it usually takes a well punished error.

Ya. I haven't done much 1v1 yet, but my roommate and I have been doing 2v2 a lot and this is our experience. Players are either really bad (will occasionally suicice, lack basic ability to shield/dodge most things) or are really good and know combos very well.

Trying to recall what I see people play a lot. Seems like there are a few characters that just never get played, and not too many that see a ton of play there. I think Roy, Ryu, Little Mac, Yoshi, Shulk, Falcon, Link are probably some of the slightly more common picks that I see. Charizard sometimes I guess but I haven't seen anyone play Charizard who is actually good at him besides just being cheesy with flare blitz for easy kills.

--

I've been playing a whole slew of things: Yoshi, ROB, Dr.Mario, Baby Bowser, Roy, Shulk, Megaman, Pikachu, Link. Couple others, but mostly that. I'm going to make a conscious effort to play more Luigi though since Dr. Mario seems pretty bad, especially with his horrid recovery.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:45 pm

Post by Vi »

I wish I could say that I was good at Smash, but I'm probably ordinary-to-slightly-below. I'll lose to people who have half an idea of how to really play a character, but otherwise I'm pretty consistent. I blame coming from a shmups background, where doing the same thing every time usually yields the same results.

I play low tiers because it's fun, but apparently all that time playing Ganondorf and Zelda in Brawl has made me almost decent at those characters in Sm4sh (though I don't play very often; I don't own the Wii U).
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:11 pm

Post by AngryPidgeon »

I actually did a fair amount of single player Today. Best game was a mirror match as ROB. Really close game with lots of tops and lasers. ROB is all about that neutral aerial though.
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:25 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

In post 55, Porochaz wrote:Subspace Emissary was a cool concept, but they could have changed all the enemies into grey blobs and the landscape into a black and white blocks and you would of had the same experience.

Wrong.
To be clear: quack
Oversoul
Oversoul
Survivor
Oversoul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:45 am

Post by Oversoul »

Ganondorf was sleeper OP into characters who did not have projectiles (or at least reliable projectiles).

I am both saddened and excited that Sm4sh gave Yoshi the breath of life. I was pretty good with Yoshi in Brawl (lol super armor on your second jump), but some of the quirks about his move set were removed in the 4th installation.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:01 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 70, Oversoul wrote:Ganondorf was sleeper OP into characters who did not have projectiles (or at least reliable projectiles).
Yeah. The damage-and-knockback-per-hit ratio is heavily in Ganondorf's favor, especially since it takes a long time for him to get knocked far enough that he can't recover, so you can make a lot more mistakes than your opponent and still come out all right. Just for that, he's probably my best.

Sm4sh is all about punishes, though, and I'm finding myself getting shield grabbed more than ever before. Shielding makes my Jigglypuff very sad.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:14 pm

Post by AngryPidgeon »

^ Really? The good, old shield-grab has been a staple in my play/counterplay due to brawl.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:18 pm

Post by Vi »

Sm4sh may as well be called Super Grab Bros. though.
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:25 pm

Post by vonflare »

*cough* MewTwo'sUpThrow *cough*

Return to “The Arcade”