Super Smash Bros

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #350 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:07 pm

Post by Davsto »

new Arms rep looks cool, never played the game (no interest) but I'm genuinely excited. The stage looks hype, heard good things about the music and the fighter looks really unique and that's always interesting and fun. No super hype Mii costume with music this time (vault boy kinda cool but not a fallout man myself)
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #351 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:07 pm

Post by PJ. »

Arms > Smash. Please don't ban me.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Felissan
Felissan
Goon
Felissan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #352 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:14 pm

Post by Felissan »

In post 349, PJ. wrote:also, melee has good netcode now, so that's cool
These are words you'd think come from some weird parallel universe without further context. It goes to show how unique that game's following is.
"Dammit Felissan, making someone lose the game is NOT NICE"
- DeathRowKitty 2016
"Also, the me in your signature just made the me in this thread lose the game and I'm not sure how to feel about this."
- DeathRowKitty 2018
"You've made me make myself lose the game so many times that I feel like it's an entirely new game I'm losing"
- DeathRowKitty 2022
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #353 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:47 pm

Post by PJ. »

2020 is the weird parallel universe

Intentionally incomplete list of fighting games with good(ie. rollback) netcode and the year they came out.

Super Smash Brothers Melee (2001)
The King of Fighters '97, '98, and 2002 (1997, 1998, 2002 respectively)
Street Fight 3 3rd Strike (1999)
Garou: Mark of the Wolves(1999)
Darkstalker 2 and 3 (1995 and 1997 respectively)
Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting (1992)
Super Street Fighter II (1993)
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (1998)
Samurai Shodown V Special (2004)
The Last Blade 2 (1998)

An intentionally incomplete list of fighting games without good netcode (either delay-based solution or a very poorly implemented version of Rollback)

All those games are the latest game in their franchise and have been out for 5 years or less. Street Fighter V literally had an online qualifier for their world championship where the 2 top ranked competitors forfeited the tournament because one of the other players was too laggy literally 2 days ago.Additionally, the newest Guilty Gear(and the Beta for the not yet released Guilty Gear Strive), newest King of Fighters, and newest Blazblue do not have rollback netcode(yet)

(another additional embarrassing note for Samurai Shodown: After next month, the newest title will be the ONLY iteration in the entire series without rollback netcodes. This is a series that includes the first game which was released in 1993)

We live in a universe where the easiest entry in the top fighting game franchises in the industry to get consistent and good online matches are 15 years older(or more) than the most current game in said franchises. This is the bad timeline.
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #354 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:43 am

Post by vonflare »

it's because of the commercialization of the game industry. AAA developers care less about their games than fans do.
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #355 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:14 am

Post by vonflare »

Also, reinstalling dolphin as we speak, I'm getting in on this breakthrough.

Hopefully Slippi adds a rank system that can pair you with people of your skill level eventually, but it'll still be fun to fight randos who might be wildly better or worse than me.
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #356 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:26 am

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

The most important part of the announcement was that Spirit Battles that later got DLC Mii Fighter costumes will be replaced by the Mii Fighter.

Why is this important? Because it means that the Geno suit is still a possibility.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #357 (ISO) » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:35 am

Post by PJ. »

In post 356, Haschel Cedricson wrote:The most important part of the announcement was that Spirit Battles that later got DLC Mii Fighter costumes will be replaced by the Mii Fighter.

Why is this important? Because it means that the Geno suit is still a possibility.
most important part of the announcement is the the netcode is bad
In post 354, vonflare wrote:it's because of the commercialization of the game industry. AAA developers care less about their games than fans do.
I didn't know how to respond to this at the time, but I'm back. I think this just straight up wrong. With the exception of Melee, all the games I mentioned are official versions. The only examples I can think of a game that had bad netcode and got good netcode unofficially are Melty Blood(licensing) and games that are being emulated illegally(like melee or fightcade options). I think the issue with netcode isn't an issue of a developer not loving their game it's an issue of Japanese Devs not looking laterally in the market and/or thinking outside of Japan. I have no reason to believe that Delay-based netcode isn't an okay choice for Japan for a couple of reasons: it's a small region geographically and internet speeds are considerably better due to it being an actual competitive market instead of what amount to regional monopolies. Another thing that supports this is that the lead designer of Tekken seemed to not even know what Rollback Netcode was unless there was some significant translation issues and the lead designer of Under Night In-Birth played Skullgirls for the first time and realized just how much of a better solution that game had compared to his. Along other examples such as fighting games not having universal features across franchises such as access to frame data and tutorials, I'm more lead to believe that there's just a lack of awareness than a lack of caring. It also is a hard problem to fix because of the dangers of group speak and the mentality of social media that you can't always listen to the players. There are many examples as to reasons why, chief among them is probably League of Legends along with Smash itself.
Last edited by PJ. on Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #358 (ISO) » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:48 am

Post by Davsto »

also (i think) rollback requires quite a bit of processing power on the console end and most devs are already trying to push the limit of what their console can do with their game. plus what i've gathered is that if a game isn't made with rollback in mind it requires quite a bit of base-level tweaking to sort it. obvs it's still a shame and a pain that online in modern fighters is as bad as it is - smash in particular has an online that could be improved in so many ways without going so far as to implement rollback, though a lot of that probably lies on nintendo as a company's end over the smash team.

idk i'm no expert. smash devs could do more for online i'm sure. but i think it's a p heavy stretch to accuse sakurai and co. of not caring about smash.
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #359 (ISO) » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:07 am

Post by vonflare »

In post 357, PJ. wrote:The only examples I can think of a game that had bad netcode and got good netcode are [...] games that are being emulated illegally(like melee or fightcade options)
this is my point though. Fans do a better job supporting the games than developers do. Nintendo has tried on many occasions to push melee out of the competitive scene because it takes market share from current year's smash game.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/10 ... ing-at-evo

https://www.polygon.com/2013/7/11/45132 ... bros-melee

AAA devs are becoming less consumer-friendly over time, which of course is their prerogative, but it forces fans of games that lose support from the developers to turn to modding, emulation, and piracy, which will have ramifications throughout the industry.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #360 (ISO) » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:41 am

Post by PJ. »

You literally cut out the part where I said every game I previously mentioned aside from melee had an official release w/ rollback netcode.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #361 (ISO) » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:42 am

Post by PJ. »

Also, both those articles are 7 years old, whichwas when brawl was out and Nintendo was maintaining that Smash was a party game only. Nintendo has since turned around on that stance and had balance patches based on competitive play.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #362 (ISO) » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:51 am

Post by PJ. »

In post 358, Davsto wrote:also (i think) rollback requires quite a bit of processing power on the console end and most devs are already trying to push the limit of what their console can do with their game. plus what i've gathered is that if a game isn't made with rollback in mind it requires quite a bit of base-level tweaking to sort it. obvs it's still a shame and a pain that online in modern fighters is as bad as it is - smash in particular has an online that could be improved in so many ways without going so far as to implement rollback, though a lot of that probably lies on nintendo as a company's end over the smash team.

idk i'm no expert. smash devs could do more for online i'm sure. but i think it's a p heavy stretch to accuse sakurai and co. of not caring about smash.
Having an online game thats p2p without a rollback solution is honestly malpractice regardless of processing limitations. Vast majority of players won't be playing in real life but online and a reliable netcode should be top priority.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #363 (ISO) » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:40 am

Post by Ythan »

Come on Geno. Some people are thinking he's been leaked as the next fighter but it's debatable.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #364 (ISO) » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:45 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

Give the people what they want
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #365 (ISO) » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:07 am

Post by brassherald »

The next fighter will be the true people's champion: Eliwood.

A sword user from Fire Emblem series. Truly a new concept.
I've only made one good post, and don't you dare accuse me of doing it again.
Felissan
Felissan
Goon
Felissan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #366 (ISO) » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:26 am

Post by Felissan »

And to celebrate the SMT5 announcement, Itsuki from Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE will be added next.
- DeathRowKitty 2016
"Also, the me in your signature just made the me in this thread lose the game and I'm not sure how to feel about this."
- DeathRowKitty 2018
"You've made me make myself lose the game so many times that I feel like it's an entirely new game I'm losing"
- DeathRowKitty 2022
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #367 (ISO) » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:49 am

Post by Annadog40 »

I just want Bandana Dee
This is my life now

Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #368 (ISO) » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:56 am

Post by brassherald »

In post 367, Annadog40 wrote:I just want Bandana Dee
Is that a Fire Emblem character with a sword?
I've only made one good post, and don't you dare accuse me of doing it again.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #369 (ISO) » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:56 pm

Post by Ythan »

What's the opposite of hype.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #370 (ISO) » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:11 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

rage/salt?

I'm just kinda like "neato" in regards to the new fighter tho
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Andycyca
Andycyca
Gets To Kill All Spammers
Andycyca

Post Post #371 (ISO) » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:08 pm

Post by Andycyca »

Browsing /v/ today was fun
Planning: Katamari Damacy Mafia - Less than 50% done!

BTRAF 6 coming to a Mafia Forum near you. Now with 50% less chlorine! Bring your tin foil hat
Felissan
Felissan
Goon
Felissan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #372 (ISO) » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:37 pm

Post by Felissan »

diamond hoe's mad
- DeathRowKitty 2016
- DeathRowKitty 2018
- DeathRowKitty 2022
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #373 (ISO) » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:58 pm

Post by Davsto »

i've never really played minecraft but still have a level of nostalgia for it given how big it was growing up and how a few youtubers i follow have done some fun minecraft series

It's pretty cool though and I'm really excited to see how he plays. And it's hype to get back to the insane 3rd party stuff after a few first parties, plus it's the first full surprise we've had since... Banjo maybe? So it was great to be super surprised as I'd really forgotten he was an option.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #374 (ISO) » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:04 am

Post by Davsto »

oh and odds are on the new remixes being phenomenal so hype for that too