Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:28 pm

Post by talah »

Guardian challenge: I think you just need to get lucky with room composition mainly and maybe an item like Maw of the Void (or Athame like I just did :) ). Something that will do damage if you're hit (which you will be) and something which will give you a better chance of finding health. So even say Gimpy would be good with a mostly red heart build as I think it increases chances of red hearts dropping from kills as well as soul hearts from damage.

Thanks for reminding me about challenges though! I've only done 3 of the new ones now having struggled with Blue Bomber and Pay to Play in the earlier Afterbirth patches.

Funny - everyone says tech x is awesome but the couple of times I've got it it didn't seem that great to me.

Also yeah Azazel greed was hard just because of the range. And even like 3 range-up items doesn't seem to help that much with him. At least they mostly reverted the charge time and damage nerfs.
Om of the Nom
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:31 am

Post by Om of the Nom »

yeah i know this game has random elements all over the place but honestly a challenge where being damaged is not entirely under my control feels so poorly designed

and tech x is not like wow amazing but its my personal good luck charm since ive never lost a run with it so far

i still have not done anything at all with the lost and im thinking of waiting until i get the default holy mantle from greed mode but greed mode is just very frustrating. my expectations were shattered after the stark contrast between my extremely lucky first clear with 99 pennies to the not as lucky second clear with maybe like 10 :P
“Leftover lady, let alone the strongest to be subdued.
If I only had the magic key that would unlock the realms to the plateau of the highest me.
Even though I’ve been badly bruised, living in a house to become a popular muse.”

hey beautiful ! how was your day ?
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:15 pm

Post by talah »

I had to Alt-F4 glitch to get the lost achieves in Rebirth and I think they've fixed that now (or maybe you need to end the process using Task Manger now, not completely sure).

People manage it though, a lot of the time with like Gnawed Leaf strats; it's cheese either way.

Holy mantle plus D4 is a bit infuriating on lost considering as soon as you D4 the mantle is gone O.o

I played a few hours of Keeper over the last couple of days. Really bad. Gotta laugh at the fact that I'm almost certainly never going to beat the achieves without getting cube of meat and gnawed leaf and leaving the computer running for several hours to beat Hush for example.
(Well I dunno maybe I'll just get 100 times better at dodging and RNG a run without a guaranteed damage room :P )
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:05 pm

Post by talah »

So yup. I've got Keeper done with Chest (think that was Guppy and something OP, can't quite remember), Hush (got through with Guppy's head / hive-mind and I *think* a chaos card on that one), Mega Stan (that was also Guppy's head / shielded tears / hive mind) and just finished Dark Room today with Jar of Flies hive mind, holy mantle and Rune Bag (which gave me several Algiz runes which I used on boss fights).
Lucky lucky though.

Moral of the story is hive mind is OP especially with the Keeper's thing of converting hearts into flies. I'll also *always* give up the coin for Guppy's head - and Jar of Flies too; it just finishes off bosses and difficult floors so awesomely (even without hive mind). And remember Hive Mind is in the shop.

So I've got Boss rush Keeper and Greed mode on Lost and Keeper till my 1001%
:)

So much time sunk. So SO frustrating when you get sniped or get a bad room. So satisfying when a run comes together tho.
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:08 pm

Post by talah »

Oh by the way I just remembered my *Lost* Mega Stan run a week and a half ago.

Cheesed it with Gnawed Leaf Demon Baby.
Walked away for like 15 minutes XD
Om of the Nom
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:31 pm

Post by Om of the Nom »

i still havent even gotten like 300 coins on the greed machine :S

im so bad at this game
If I only had the magic key that would unlock the realms to the plateau of the highest me.
Even though I’ve been badly bruised, living in a house to become a popular muse.”

talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:40 pm

Post by talah »

Half or more is spending way too much time on it.

So instead of discovering the cure for Alzheimer's I have a potential Steam achievement.

:P
Om of the Nom
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:36 pm

Post by Om of the Nom »

Has anybody explored the modding scene yet?
I've only got the music mod for the WoL soundtrack but I'm interesting in checking out extra content mods in the future (aka once I 1001% (which will probably be never at this rate)

talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:43 pm

Post by talah »

Sooooooo....

I've signed up for a "basement" tournament which is supposed to be for afterbirth newbies. I'm not so bad at it but streaming with an upload of 1mbit and watching anything else seems to be a bit impossible even though I've tried to tweak QoS.

So I can stream in decent quality, or I can watch my potential competitor.

Egh. Maybe I'm just making up excuses not to race :)
I'll ping back with the tourney (but probs not who I am on twitch) if I get in.
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:44 pm

Post by talah »

Oh by the way Om you were so so right about Tech X
I just didn't know how to use it *shakes fist at sky*
Om of the Nom
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:58 pm

Post by Om of the Nom »

Tech X is fantastic

Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:29 am

Post by Papa Zito »

I hate the keeper so much. so so much
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:25 pm

Post by Kison »

Finally got the last mark(mega satan) with The Lost. I only learned about a week ago you could have him start with the Holy Mantle by donating a certain # of coins to the greed donation machine. Game changing.

I restarted till I got laser ring tears, got hit with a Tears Down pill, but was able to get: magic mushroom, mini mushroom, pentagram & short range mega tears(this is what really did it).
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:29 pm

Post by Ankamius »

Did afterbirth+ fix the scaling health bosses?
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:19 am

Post by Kison »

Not sure. Haven't gotten it yet. Taking a break after that horrifying stint with The Lost. :lol:
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:41 am

Post by Elbirn »

In post 23, talah wrote:So anyway I unlocked Keeper yesterday.

Got up to Sheol in Greed mode with him with a fairly sustainable build. (Lots of Tears-up, Spectral and Flight and some Damage ups.) And then got double-tapped by 2 x Adversary Brimstone.

I don't know that it's going to be fun playing Lost for Hush / Greed / Mega Stan and Keeper for everything.
Guess I just love dat punishment doe.
Keeper pisses me off because "Oh shit, I start the game with triple shot and can heal by picking up coins? I can absolutely break the game if I just gitgud!"

And then I got doubletapped by by like a fly in sheol or something

But uh yeah if you can't beat greed mode as Keeper then gurrrlll
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:34 pm

Post by Kison »

Keeper sucks but The Lost is still worse. Here are some tips I picked up:

- His tear delay is horrible which means Tears Up items have a huge impact while Tear Delay items(like the awesome Cancer trinket) that usually are amazing for other characters are almost worthless. With enough Tears Up items you can get back to a normal firing rate. So an item like Number One is really good(as well as making Range Up items actually beneficial).

- The best trinket is perhaps the Swallowed Penny. Free coin every time you get hit, so (1) it's a free regen per hit and (2) you can now max out every Sacrifice Room you find. This becomes infinite money if you are able to get Mom's Box from the shop(2 coins drop per hit, 1 to heal, 1 for profit).

- If you run across a Health Up item in either the treasure room or after defeating a boss, don't grab it immediately. See if you get a Devil Room first. If so, and if any of the deals come at the cost of 1 HP, grab it and then grab the Health Up item.

- Stay away from stuff like Inner Eye & Mutant Spider or anything else that significantly drops your firing rate. It stacks on top of his base firing rate.
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:20 pm

Post by Elbirn »

Another tidbit about swallowed penny and keeper: if you have patience and can find a blood donation machine or an IV bag, you can get infinite money $$$$$$
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:24 am

Post by Kison »

Two more tips I can think of:

Once you start Keeper with the wooden nickel, I've found it helpful to make sure I go into unexplored rooms with my item charged and immediately activate the item. This means that if you get hit, you don't have to be distracted by using the item, seeing if a coin drops, seeing where the coin drops, etc. Get it out of the way so you can focus on clearing the room and more quickly react to taking damage. If you do this consistently, once you clear the room, your item will recharge and be ready for the next room.

Secondly, about sacrifice rooms. If you run across one & want to use it to get the Uriel & Gabriel fights out of the way, I like to abandon the above strategy for the current floor and instead use my charges in the sacrifice room to load the room up with coins so I have health if the fights go south. Use coins in other parts of the floor to heal from stepping on the spike and only use the coins in the sacrifice room if you have no other options.
Donempire
Donempire
No pref
Mafia Scum
Donempire
No pref
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: No pref

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:55 am

Post by Donempire »

Holy fuck lost is good in afterbirth. The dlc buffs him to oblivion basically. I dont have the dlc yet and the fucker is painful without holy mantle. If i had to compile all the times i died to the haunt with him the video would be half an hour long probably. Goddamn hes unplayable without the dlc.
Age of Empires Elo: 1500 something in DE, 1800 in HD
Formerly Dongempire
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:42 am

Post by Elbirn »

Free devil deals + flight + spectral tears + holy mantle = The Lost is objectively the best character to play as

Return to “The Arcade”