DnD 5th Edition Christmas Campaign

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

DnD 5th Edition Christmas Campaign

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:02 pm

Post by DiamondSentinel »

So, to celebrate both Christmas AND the release of Blitz Queue (yeah I'm late, shut up), the next 2 weeks, I will be attempting to host a Dungeons and Dragons 5E campaign.

It will be Text-Based on Roll20.net, and signups will be open through Friday, with full character sheets due Sunday. To anyone who does not have access to the 5E handbook, PM me and I might be able to figure something out.

Ground Rules:

• What DM (me) says goes. If I say you can't, oh, kill NPC A because of story reasons, let's not. I won't ruin all fun (or any, if I can help it), but I will make sure that the campaign doesn't go completely off the rails. This is to ensure that you have as enjoyable time as possible, and that I'm not forced to ad lib the whole thing because you've killed the character that the entire campaign hinged upon.

• I will help you roll stats. This is for 2 reasons: so that I can be sure that every roll is legit, and so that we can avoid using points based system, because quite frankly, that system sucks.

• I'm leaving it as a maximum of 5 people. Any more, and it becomes chaotic, and people feel ignored. It's just a good move. That doesn't mean don't sign-up after 5 people. I might end up making more than 1 group if we get that many. It all depends!

• All traditional 5E races and classes are allowed. However, I would request that you use some RP logic, and not everyone chooses Dragonborn Sorceror or Tiefling Rouge, just because having so many similar characters is a bore. I will list the character's race, alignment, and class on the character list, so please look at that while making yours.

The first sessions will be Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday this week starting at 1 pm Central Time (GMT-6) and going until about 4, maybe later if everyone can stick around.

Rules will be added as I think of them, but right now, I'm a bit distracted. I just wanted to get this out ASAP to get signups up.

Time until Session 1:
(expired on 2015-12-21 13:00:00)

Player List:

Scummer Hero Alignment Race Class Status
T-Bone Hoardbreaker Kaiari Chaotic Good Dragonborn Fighter Awaiting Campaign Start
jagilki Human Rogue In Signups

Spoiler: Background Scenario
The land of Pagora is ripe with strife.

In the Kingdom of Lira, 4 brothers and their factions vie for power, while in the "Constitutional Monarchy" of Noora, the "benevolent leader" Domastrus has taken full control of the daily life of its citizens, levying massive taxes, restricting trade and travel, and enforcing massive inspections during which anyone suspected of having ties to an outsider is executed. The Capitol, Nimea, is in a divided city. The lower district is filled with decay and squalor, with the Thieves Guild the only hope for young men, while the upper enjoys peace and prosperity built on the suffering of the lower class.

However, not all is bad. In the north, the region of Aerid enjoys a time of invention, with some of the best spellweavers in the world prospering. Chief among these is the Guildmind, Nares-Ka, who is rumored to be discovering the secret to infinite power. For once, though, infinite power comes to one who doesn't seek to gain from it. A compassionate person, Nares-Ka seeks to unite Pagora in order to usher in an era of equality.

As they say, no good deed goes unpunished, and this is no exception. Ales-Ka's endeavors have attracted the attention of more than a few parties. The Assassins Guild, Demon's Tongue, seeks to use his experiments to resurrect the God of Disorder, Jaskil. And he's not the only god involved in this plot or even the most powerful. The Pantheon, led by the Goddess of Trials, Dianus, aims to end his research, and reserve this power for the gods.

And of course, no good strife is complete without angering a Warmonging Deity, and why wouldn't there be one here. All of this war has caused Anakrumous, the Great Devouror to turn in his slumber.

So this brings us to our predicament. Who shall reign over Lira? Shall Domastrus be allowed to rule Noor with an iron fist? And will our heroes be able to help Nares-Ka in his quest for utopia? That is up to you!

Spoiler: Session 1 Synopsis
So, our heroes arrived at Nimea, and attempted to go through the Northeast Gate. Met with a 50 GP fee, they then attempted the North Gate. This was a more successful venture, only requiring Kaiari (played by T-Bone) to give them his weapons. While this would usually be a big deal, as he's an eldrich knight, he could just summon his weapons right back to his hands. This was great! Except that the thugs soon noticed. However, they were able to avoid combat for a while, and intimidated the thugs into backing down. After dealing with them, they proceeded to the Thieves Guild to deliver a message, not realizing that this very message was their own writ of execution. Captured, they soon embark on a quest for retribution. They are rescued by a mysterious masked man, and make their escape. On the way to confront the boss, they discover a ledger book, and decide to bring it along with them. They burst into the Boss's room, and confronted him and his magical cat. They killed the poor cat (who's blood was apparently flammable), and burnt down the guild. However, Kaiari, ever the good guy, decides to save a mysterious woman from being burnt alive in the building.

What is the significance of the masked man and mysterious woman? What will this ledger book show? Who can tell? (except me!)

UPDATE: First 3 sessions scheduled! Those beyond will be discussed with those who sign up.
Last edited by DiamondSentinel on Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:45 pm, edited 8 times in total.
“Why was I chosen?'
'Such questions cannot be answered,' said Gandalf. 'You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess. But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.”
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:40 pm

Post by Claus »

I think you want this thread ---> http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=63322

Feel free to send game reports to this thread ----> http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=59216
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVmAG0RXmo
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:43 am

I've looked at that thread, but FakeGod does 3.5E. I don't do 3.5E because it is immensely complicated. I've also looked at yours. Neither of which I feel are very good for taking signups in any sort of quick and efficient manner, since they are both quite long right now.
“Why was I chosen?'
'Such questions cannot be answered,' said Gandalf. 'You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess. But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.”
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:00 am

Post by Glork »

I don't really see a problem with making a separate thread for this campaign (note: this is just me giving input as a person, NOT a discussion mod), however I do wonder if actual scummer D&D campaigns might be better off in Mish Mash? Idk

Anyway, I'd love to join but I'm just too busy to take on anything more than the one campaign I'm running right now. I hope you'll post summaries so we can read along!
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Persivul
Persivul
Survivor
Persivul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:45 am

Post by Persivul »

In post 0, DiamondSentinel wrote:It will be Text-Based on Roll20.net

How does that work? I have the 5e books but I've never played online.
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:55 pm

Just like a regular campaign. I describe the whole interaction and and you interact based on that. I might make some sketches if I can get access to a scanner, but I don't have one at home so this might not work.

Sketches would consist of a simple map with some buildings, and maybe sketches of the characters if I have time this weekend.
“Why was I chosen?'
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:38 pm

Post by T-Bone »

#in
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:25 am

Post by T-Bone »

ConManMick
ConManMick
Dear Derry
ConManMick
Dear Derry
Dear Derry

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:28 pm

Post by ConManMick »

Place holder prolly an in
"As everyone knows there is a special guardian angel for drunkards and lovers"
- Alexandre Dumas
TÁL
jagilki
jagilki
Townie
jagilki
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:46 pm

Post by jagilki »

I've been recruited. /in
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:08 pm

Post by Rob14 »

/in - I've been looking to play D&D for forever.

I played 3.5 a long, long while ago, but don't remember too much. I'll grab a 5e handbook from some online source tomorrow, but could you PM me how you want us rolling things for stats, etc since you wanted to be involved with that?
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:04 am

Post by T-Bone »

I rolled my own stats as a placeholder until we could all get together. I imagine anyone else can do the same.

Also I have a copy I can give to anyone who wants to play but doesn't have it.

T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:00 pm

Post by T-Bone »

Also a bump, cause I can witness stat rolls for anyone (per the DM).

DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:07 am

Sorry I haven't posted the link. I haven't been at my computer so far today. I will do it in like 15 minutes.
“Why was I chosen?'
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:50 pm

Post by T-Bone »

Probably should bump and recap (cause we played today!)

DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:56 am

Yeah, I've been writing a recap but my computer is being janky.
“Why was I chosen?'
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:46 pm

So, had to take short hiatus because schoolwork during the break. Update and synopsis up, shall we get to scheduling next session? If you're even still interested.
“Why was I chosen?'
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:47 pm

Post by T-Bone »

Totally.

jagilki
jagilki
Townie
jagilki
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:31 am

Post by jagilki »

just give me a time.
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:57 pm

Short notice, but I've been out all day. How would, say, 3 EST work tomorrow?
“Why was I chosen?'
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:15 pm

Post by T-Bone »

Probably fine.

jagilki
jagilki
Townie
jagilki
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:17 pm

Post by jagilki »

it tentatively should work for me
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:53 am

Post by T-Bone »

Ummm let me see where I'm at when I get home...

Return to “The Arcade”