Overwatch

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

For what platform(s) are you getting/do you own the game?

Xbox One
8%
PS4
13%
PC
80%

Total votes: 79

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #950 (ISO) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:31 pm

Post by Accountant »

In post 948, PokerFace wrote:You an I play Road Hog differently, Accountant. I try to play him as a tank while utilizing his DPS as a punish instead of a fight starter. I kill what tries to take what's mine, when I am Roadhog. You play him to fill the "Pick" position in 6s.

To anyone not in the know, 6s whether in tf2 or overwatch has 6 basic positions. Med, Pocket, Roamer, DPS, Pick, and Utility. Pick is the player who starts the team fight by getting that first kill making the fight 5v6 asap so your team is more likely to win the fight. Roadhog can fill that role as well as the roles of DPS and Roamer. I tend to use him in the Roamer spectrum since I don't play comp much and Roamer is more important when your team is unorganized and all about. Roamer roams helping out where they are needed. This player usually has high sustain or versatility since you often have to rely on yourself. I tend to see the DPS and Pick roles filled by flankers more often than they are filled by Roadhogs.

The Pocket's job is to protect the Med or Protect the team in overwatch. Rein has a monopoly on this role for the most part

Med is usually held by the teams primary healer and utility is held by a secondary healer or a character that provides other great utility. Ana and Lucio usually fill these roles with heals and boosts.

DPS is filled by player with high DPS. Lots of characters can fill this role
I tried playing it your way but the problem is that the more dmg you tank the more ult charge they get because he soaks up so much shit
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #951 (ISO) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:31 pm

Post by Accountant »

Like when I play him as a roaming flanker, going around and getting hooks/picks from odd angles I get less fire aimed my way = less ult charge for them, which is Roadhog's biggest weakness

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #952 (ISO) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:33 pm

Post by Accountant »

In post 949, Clumsy wrote:I tend to play Roadhog a bit differently than either of those. I play him as a positional threat, as in "I will guard this area, and anything coming within hook range of me will die." Secondarily I use him as anti flanking, getting that Genji off of our healers or dealing with the person taking the long outside route to an objective. For me, the two most important things about Roadhog are your position and the enemy position. You need to be in range to hook someone if they step one foot out of position, taking them out of the equation. My favorite spot on Hanamura is second story on the right side of the gate, catching Phara/Genji/Hanzo/Reaper all day long. As you can tell, I love Roadhog on defense.

I feel like Roadhog is one of the characters that has the most variation on the type of playstyle used with him.
When I play Roadhog on Hanamura defense I'm usually standing in the little house to the left of the choke(from the defenders' point of view - it has the healthpack there and cover, as well as an angle to hook people without taking too much damage). If they keep going through the little window(pharah, dva, genji) I sometimes roam over to the other side and stand on the other side of the gate, using the door as cover while hooking anyone that comes through the window

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #953 (ISO) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:34 pm

Post by Accountant »

Since Hanamura often comes down to duelling Reinhardts at the gate, and their Rein's job is to charge ours and open the gate for his team to flood in (since fighting at the choke is a losing proposition), my job as Roadhog is to make sure that the fucker is never able to land a charge safely, because the moment he drops his shield, either he gets hooked or his teammate gets hooked and then we win the 5v6. I sometimes also get free picks off overeager Junkrats or 76s moving forward to land a rocket or grenade

PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #954 (ISO) » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:55 am

Post by PokerFace »

I hate hanamura. I usually play Winston or Dva and dive comp on attack or I use Rein on defense. I don't think I've ever used Roadhog on that map.

Clumsy, your way of playing Roadhog sounds a lot like mine. I think your way and mine is more similar than you realize. I think my one problem with Roadhog is that I tend to sponge too much damage and I think that's because I'm to used to being a shield since I play rein too much. For that reason I usually station myself next to a Rein or Zarya so I can work with them. Stationing myself with the healer sometimes works as long as that healer is good at healing. So I guess I use Hog as a joat and Roamer is the most joat like position.

Speaking of Joats, Orisa's kit has aspects of Zarya, Rein, Bastion, etc. She can fill the roles of those characters however she is not a master of those roles. Orisa is a good jack of all trades character when that Hanzo on your team refuses to swap to fill a needed role. You filling two roles at an avg capacity with Orisa can help make up for the scrubs on your team that can't do their role. Rein anchors down the damage blocked role better than anyone. People that fill other roles can gather behind/around him. Orisa can anchor many roles at once and gather them together in a sense that she can do each of them. Getting a pick on an Orisa may be more important than getting a pick on a Rein in a 'few' situations.

Zenyatta's discord counters fortify really well. Symetra's ball and anything else that goes through barriers also counter Orisa. While heavy crowd control characters like Mei are countered by Orisa. Orisa strikes me as a character intended to be an anchor tank but she will more likely find use as an off tank
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #955 (ISO) » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:52 am

Post by vonflare »

I pretty much only play rein or zenyatta at this point; every game 2 people insta lock dps
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Clumsy
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #956 (ISO) » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:31 am

Post by Clumsy »

Yeah, pretty common for that to happen around that level unfortunately. The good news is that once you start getting into mid- high plat, that doesn't happen as often, and people are more willing to play other things. It still happens if course, but less often. Had 3 dos, 2 heals and 1 tank on Temple of Anubis yesterday. Lost the first point pretty quickly, even for ToA.

On a side note, remind me to only play Ranked on weekdays. I seem to get much better games that way.
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #957 (ISO) » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:47 am

Post by vonflare »

In post 956, Clumsy wrote:Yeah, pretty common for that to happen around that level unfortunately.
Did you just assume my rating? KappaPride BabyRage
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Clumsy
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #958 (ISO) » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:51 am

Post by Clumsy »

I ISO'd you and saw your other post. :P
Clumsy
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #959 (ISO) » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:58 am

Post by Clumsy »

Had a match last night that had me as healer, a good teammate that switched to Rein, and then the rest picked Torb, Hanzo, Symmetra, and Sombra. This was on Numbani, and lasted until they got to the second checkpoint (first after the CP) where we finally had a decent team lineup. It was a close match, where if we didn't give up those first 2 points in about 3 minutes, could have very well won.

Gotta love it.
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #960 (ISO) » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:48 pm

Post by DeathNote »

So is osira any good?
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
Clumsy
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #961 (ISO) » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:58 pm

Post by Clumsy »

From what I've seen, she's pretty okay. The Halt! ability is definitely really good, but I think she serves as a secondary tank better than a primary (Like Reinhardt).
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #962 (ISO) » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:19 am

Post by vonflare »

orisa is currently too balanced, and therefore not very good, as she can't compare to the top tier characters
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #963 (ISO) » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:52 pm

Post by Accountant »

anyone who loses the first round on attack and then immediately switches to symm/torb on defense and refuses to switch back, destroying team comp and fucking over the team even more by playing a sub par character, needs to be strung up by their gonads. the beautiful turret/sentry defense you're thinking of never works.

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #964 (ISO) » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:54 pm

Post by Accountant »

all I ask is that you either a) play meta characters OR b) do well with your off-meta pick

is this really so hard to ask?

PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #965 (ISO) » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:41 pm

Post by PokerFace »

New Brawl is fun. Rein, Winston, Zen, Bastion/Torb. Feels best comp
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #966 (ISO) » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:14 am

Post by Accountant »

rein/orisa/zen/bastion

or rein/bastion/torb/zen

PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #967 (ISO) » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:43 am

Post by PokerFace »

Looking at leader boards...
rein/orisa/zen/bastion
is correct.

Von and I are working on a way of getting the 80% left achievement. If you are interested in helping us, let us know when you are online
Last edited by PokerFace on Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #968 (ISO) » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:44 am

Post by Accountant »

What is that achievement? And yes, I am interested.

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #969 (ISO) » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:45 am

Post by Accountant »

Pretty hilarious that the optimal anti omnic team is 75% omnic

PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #970 (ISO) » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:48 am

Post by PokerFace »

Well von is not online any more. we need 4 people to pull it off. What times you free to play this weekend?
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #971 (ISO) » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:50 am

Post by Accountant »

12pm to 10pm gmt+8

Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #972 (ISO) » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:38 pm

Post by Cerberus v666 »

I'm free pretty much anytime, except tomorrow morning. So, I won't be free starting 14 hours from this post, for a 6 hour span. No other plans. And yeah, what's the 80% achievement? Have you all finished it on legendary?
GTK a me, currently live, this may be your only chance!
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=78521&p=10688009#p10688009
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #973 (ISO) » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:06 am

Post by Randomnamechange »

i would help out, but im a bit rusty (played yesterday for the first time in a few weeks) and ping issues playing on NA :/
vonflare (21:40)
you suck randomidget
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #974 (ISO) » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:47 am

Post by PokerFace »

My placements games have not been fun. Every one has had a hanzo in it on my team. One game had a hanzo, widow, sym, and torb on my team on offense. And another game had 3 guys throwing. The mei put up an ice wall in spawn to block us while the other 2 in that party put up a tele on a cliff and laugh taunted. I'm 1-4 as a result. Why do people do trash like that in comp? I don't understand.

I did only my placements first season as that all I had time for with how late i got the game during that season.

Season 2 did only placements. Friends weren't allowed to play with me because they were ranked low.

Season 3 I played only with friends in placements. Did better than I ever did statistically, got lowest rank ever possibly because Blizzard said there system was broke and everyone would get lower. Seems its still broke if I do better in every tracked stat and get lower rank. I had little motivation to keep playing. Figured I should try solo queuing in season 4 and see what that does for me.

But the system is indeed bugged because last game I played which was my 4th loss this season, I was solo and paired with a group of 5. The opening game conversation was "alright whose turn is it to play support and get the low SR because Blizzard has bugs?" (There are youtube videos and forum posts on blizzard forums about this stuff) They started that conversation and all bickered over whose turn it was. I chose Zen and eventually had to switch to lucio since I suck at Ana and Zen can not solo heal especially when none of those 5 ever did pick a support. 4 of them were tank and the last one was a Hanzo.

Why do people play like this kinda shit not wanting to win in comp? I may have to not finish in solo queue since my motivation is 0 after all this shit

Return to “The Arcade”