Overwatch

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

For what platform(s) are you getting/do you own the game?

Xbox One
8%
PS4
13%
PC
80%

Total votes: 79

vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #1000 (ISO) » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:40 pm

Post by vonflare »

Although while it is more simplistic than other MOBAs the champion diversity is probably the best out of them all; there are heroes that completely change the way the game plays, like the one where 2 players control one hero or the one that can become a tower or the one that's basically a tactician looking over the battlefield buffing allies instead of actually being a hero in the game
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Clumsy
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1001 (ISO) » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:48 pm

Post by Clumsy »

Yeah, I enjoy playing HOTS with Shaz when we're just looking for something to do while hanging out on VOIP. It's a very laid back kind of game, and it's really the hero pool and maps that sets it apart. I don't think it's complex enough to really have a -serious- place around, but it is a nice, fun game.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1002 (ISO) » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:22 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

i think lol > hots > dota but i hate dota
green shirt thursdays
Bins
Bins
Survivor
Bins
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1003 (ISO) » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:16 pm

Post by Bins »

cant stand how hots runs on my computer but i still have more fun with it than dota
is this where I tell you to swipe right

gtkas
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #1004 (ISO) » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:30 am

Post by vonflare »

It's basically a more casual version of Dota with less toxicity than league
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1005 (ISO) » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:26 am

Post by Randomnamechange »

LoL>smite>hots>dota
vonflare (21:40)
you suck randomidget
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #1006 (ISO) » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:58 am

Post by vonflare »

your list is literally backwards, interesting.
Clumsy
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1007 (ISO) » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:13 pm

Post by Clumsy »

Okay, event is almost over. Anyone on tonight for legendary achievement?
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #1008 (ISO) » Wed May 03, 2017 11:39 am

Post by PokerFace »

Blizzard said they would put the Dva and Genji heroes of the storms skins into the console game eventually via the loot boxes. I think they may do the same for PC players eventually.

If someone needs someone to play heroes of the storm with I am game, otherwise I am just gonna wait
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #1009 (ISO) » Wed May 03, 2017 6:53 pm

Post by Elbirn »

Got mercy uprising skin, v happy
Did not get tracer uprising skin, v anger-y
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #1010 (ISO) » Sun May 21, 2017 3:03 am

Post by PokerFace »

For each of the first 3 Overwatch comp seasons I have played placements and maybe 1 or 2 other comp games. Those 1 or 2 other games were so uneventful that I remember almost nothing about them. Can't recall if I played 0, 1, or 2 other games during each of those seasons other than the placements. So at most I have played 12 games each season.

Yesterday, finally got around to finishing my placements for season 4. I played a lot of solo queue this time around. And used some tricks I heard would result in higher rank. If you compare my career profile stats in ever category
except rank
for season 4 to any other season, my overall season 4 stats are the worst.

During Season 3 I had a lot of fun and did a lot of group queue with friends. If you compare my career profile stats in ever category
except rank
for season 3 to any other season, my overall season 3 stats were the best.

Now for what bothers me. The rank I had for season 3 was my lowest rank. The rank I have for season 4 is about 80 higher. I have a higher rank despite playing statistically worst overall. Playing like shit and having less fun, has rewarded me with a higher rank. I think I'm done with comp.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #1011 (ISO) » Sun May 21, 2017 4:18 pm

Post by PJ. »

hots and dota both suck, whatever.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #1012 (ISO) » Sun May 21, 2017 6:49 pm

Post by Elbirn »

Your rankings have more to do with your win/loss record, and the skill rating of the enemy team compared to your teams/your individual skill rating. Personal performance does play a part but it's a smaller percentage compared to the other factors. Furthermore, the matchmaking system takes into account people playing in groups, and gives a higher skill rating to them when doing calculations (you're in a group and will presumably be working together better and probably more likely to use voice chat and coordinate)

In other words, it's overwatch and the rules are made up and the points don't matter

But what you're seeing isn't weird, really
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #1013 (ISO) » Sun May 21, 2017 10:29 pm

Post by PokerFace »

Season 3 record 6-4 in placements. Season 4 was 2-8 in placements. The only thing that could make sense is that my group play in season 3 was against weaker opponents and so i got a lesser rank but you just said they matched groups up with higher people since they figure a group would do better. So that idea falls flat too.
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #1014 (ISO) » Mon May 22, 2017 3:11 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

In post 1013, PokerFace wrote:Season 3 record 6-4 in placements. Season 4 was 2-8 in placements. The only thing that could make sense is that my group play in season 3 was against weaker opponents and so i got a lesser rank but you just said they matched groups up with higher people since they figure a group would do better. So that idea falls flat too.
Were you a higher rank at the end of Season 3 than at the end of Season 2? Placement results are just, like, guidelines. It's something to make you think you're accomplishing something, when really it doesn't do much at all since your placement is highly dependent on where you ended last season at.
GTK a me, currently live, this may be your only chance!
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=78521&p=10688009#p10688009
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #1015 (ISO) » Mon May 22, 2017 8:59 am

Post by Elbirn »

In post 1013, PokerFace wrote:Season 3 record 6-4 in placements. Season 4 was 2-8 in placements. The only thing that could make sense is that my group play in season 3 was against weaker opponents and so i got a lesser rank but you just said they matched groups up with higher people since they figure a group would do better. So that idea falls flat too.
Welll..kind of. It takes into account people playing in groups when deciding how many skill points you gain/lose after a match, but doesn't actually change the skill rating for match making...? It's like a sekrit. Unless I'm misremembering.

Cerb is also correct that your initial season placement is based not just on placement matches, but also where you ended last season at

Just win lotsa matches and you'll be fine
Clumsy
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1016 (ISO) » Mon May 22, 2017 10:39 am

Post by Clumsy »

I was gonna try to climb to the next tier this season, and it was my goal. Then I got distracted. Whoops. Next season I guess.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #1017 (ISO) » Mon May 22, 2017 9:52 pm

Post by PokerFace »

Everyone's season 2 rank was higher than their season 3. Blizzard came out and said they had issues putting too many people in platinum and gold during season 2 placements and said everyone would be lower for season 3 start. IIRC my season 2 end was about 300 better than my season 3 start. (Season 2 start and end is same since I only did placements that season. I think I did only 1 non placement game season 3. I think I did 1 or 2 non placement games season 1. So S2start=S2end=S2high, S3start=S3end=S3high, etc)

Check the play overwatch youtube channel for where the blizzard devs say season 3 ranks would be lower than season 3 if you missed it. It kinda bothers me that blizzard punished its players for a mistake in their rank software. They should have just kept season 3 placements going based on your season 2 final and used games outside of placements to adjust peoples ranks. After all if the player really did not belong where they got placed, future games should fix the problem as long as the rest of their rank system is ok. I'm guessing their rank system was more flawed then they said it was between season 2 and season 3 based on them not opting for that solution.
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1018 (ISO) » Tue May 23, 2017 3:53 pm

Post by DeathNote »

what do you do if the enemy team has a phara and no one on your team is good enough to aim and hit that phara.
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #1019 (ISO) » Tue May 23, 2017 4:16 pm

Post by Psyche »

i like to use orisa's gravity thing
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #1020 (ISO) » Tue May 23, 2017 7:13 pm

Post by Elbirn »

In post 1018, DeathNote wrote:what do you do if the enemy team has a phara and no one on your team is good enough to aim and hit that phara.
You need someone (possibly yourself) to be hitscan and focus the pharah. Soldier is p standard anti-pharah, widow maker works if you or someone on your team is the only good widow maker in the world (or maybe pc is different idk but on consoles widow makers are trash)
Clumsy
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1021 (ISO) » Wed May 24, 2017 9:57 am

Post by Clumsy »

Have D.Va harass her and block her rockets with Defense Matrix. Fly up to her with it on, boop her, then shoot her constantly. If the enemy have a Mercy, this gets much harder though.
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #1022 (ISO) » Wed May 24, 2017 10:48 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

The advice given above is good, but putting a hit scan on the pharah alone isn't good enough. You need to take the engagements on the ground using terrain that prevents the pharah from dumping rockets all over your team. The soldier/other hitscan/dva harass etc helps with this by making it so it's not safe to simply sit above your team. Even if the hitscan isn't actually killing the pharah, if they're communicating where they are, and forcing them to duck into cover to deny their value.

Remember, if they have a pharah+mercy in the sky, as long as you're keeping out of those sight lines(same as you should versus a good sniper), those ground fights are 4v6, and depending on your rank/if it's qp, there's a good chance the enemy team won't have any other supports.

If you do have to fight in the open, dva and Winston can do good work both harassing her or enabling your team to focus on the ground fight while protecting you from her damage. The biggest thing is communicating with your team and initiating the fights at the right locations, but that's easier said than done in solo or qp.
GTK a me, currently live, this may be your only chance!
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=78521&p=10688009#p10688009
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #1023 (ISO) » Wed May 24, 2017 1:29 pm

Post by PokerFace »

I like using Zen and discording the pharmercy. When they took away his weapon spread his projectiles became almost as good as hitscan. I call out on the coms that I am discording the mercy. That often results her getting focused and then I do the same to pharah
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #1024 (ISO) » Wed May 24, 2017 2:25 pm

Post by Elbirn »

I basically main mercy at this point and every time I set up a pharmacy it's just me watching in horror as the other 4 members of the team get absolutely destroyed because I'm not there to help them, but fortunately the survivors guilt doesn't last too much longer because then I get laser beam focused

Do I just need to git gud or is pharah not doing her job or does this setup need another support character or what?

Return to “The Arcade”