BattleCON: War, Devastation or Fate of Indines

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Thu May 19, 2016 5:55 am

Post by Zorblag »

Troll be all for showing off these games so that we can get more to play. As Troll has said, this game should be a good fit for mafia players Troll would think.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Mon May 23, 2016 10:43 am

Post by GreyICE »

So if you're around I'm up for this tonight
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Tue May 24, 2016 3:33 pm

Post by GreyICE »

Well if anyone else is up for it I'm down to play.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
KingdomAces
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Wed May 25, 2016 2:35 am

Post by KingdomAces »

I'm still around and interested, with the caveat that I don't have the game and would be using the wiki for everything, and would probably not provide much of a challenge at all.
Never be sorry for your little time.

It's not when you get there, it's always the climb.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Wed May 25, 2016 9:22 am

Post by GreyICE »

Well that's fine, everyone learns. Pick my character from someone who sounds interesting~
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
KingdomAces
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Wed May 25, 2016 11:00 am

Post by KingdomAces »

I've been looking at Lixis and Rukyuk mostly. I'll go with Lixis.

KingdomAces
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Wed May 25, 2016 5:14 pm

Post by KingdomAces »

Okay, I'm not entirely sure what I'm waiting around for. I guess I want to make sure this is actually happening before making a thread. Some things before that, I looked up the force gauge and it seems simple enough, so I don't care which finisher version is used. I also don't particularly care between Dodge and Dash, so whichever one of those as well. Aside from those two things, I'm just assuming the rest will be the same as the previous games.

GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu May 26, 2016 6:28 am

Post by GreyICE »

Lets just go with the standard Dash, and I'm fine with FG. It's the new standard after all. I'll toss up the thread.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:12 pm

Post by Zorblag »

So after a pause Troll and KingdomAces be playing another game! Troll should be back for more of them now.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Cybele
Cybele
Goon
Cybele
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:48 pm

Post by Cybele »

picked up Fates (might as well if we're gonna play withnforce gauge) and extended devastation today.
really wishing there were an easy way to get good quality Dodge cards.
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:46 pm

Post by Zorblag »

Trials should be either out or on Kickstarter (it no be entirely clear to Troll which, probably Kickstarter though,) at the end of August. Troll believes that will be the first easy source of them outside POD options. Them seem to have said something about tweaking the force gauge as well, but Troll no be sure what that means.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:55 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

troll if someone wanted to buy this game which version would you recommend im seeing way too many battlecons to decide between
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:49 pm

Post by Zorblag »

Troll would start with the free print and play to see if you like it. If you want to try a forum play then Troll be sure that someone here would be up for it!

If you really be looking to buy something then either Devastation or War (remastered, though that probably be the one you could fine) be the best options. War was the first game released and has 18 characters. It probably has slightly simpler starting characters, but them get plenty complicated in the upper flights. Devastation likely be more expensive and has 30 characters with about the same range of complexity (barring the very simplest of those in War.) Both of those have a nice range of characters in terms of play-styles and either would provide many many plays before them needed any supplementation.

Fate would be the third choice, it introduces a few new mechanics (starting positions and Finisher rules) which the game now assumes, but it be a poor starting set as the characters all tend to be a bit more on the complex side.

Let Troll know if you have other questions and Troll will answer them if Troll can. GreyICE has more experience with the game and might have more insightful answers to give as well.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:28 pm

Post by GreyICE »

I think right now that the War box is easily the best bang for your buck. It's got the new bases (no changes, but huge upgrade in art quality), the adjusted starting positions, and a great price point. The characters are all flavorful and interesting without spiraling into some of the slightly needless complexity of Flight 5 from Devastation. It's got Arenas and the Force Gauge if you want to experiment with either of those.

I honestly can't recommend a different starting point. Like, at all. War is the current best starting point and it's not even close.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:26 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

Well thumbs up to you guys for the suggestion, it's been fantastic so far!

Just had a fantastic game where a Khadath danced around a level 5 Magdelina with 3 hp for almost 7 rounds before anyone managed to land a lethal shot.
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:34 pm

Post by Zorblag »

Troll be most glad you be liking it! Do let us know if you ever want to play a slower forum game. You can dance around Troll before crushing him here perhaps.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
StaplerTowel
StaplerTowel
He
Townie
StaplerTowel
He
Townie
Townie
Pronoun: He

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:17 pm

Post by StaplerTowel »

So did you hear about the new BattleCON: Tales? Anyone planning to get this too?
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:27 pm

Post by Zorblag »

Yeah, the kickstarter goes live on Friday. Troll will probably back it. The new characters look like a better mix of beginner and advanced than Fate did, so Troll likes that!

Troll also be interested in seeing what the rumored tweak to the Force Gauge will be. It has had a huge effect on some characters so Troll sort of hopes it tones things down a bit if possible.

It be exciting though!

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
StaplerTowel
StaplerTowel
He
Townie
StaplerTowel
He
Townie
Townie

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:29 pm

Post by StaplerTowel »

I don't know if I wanna shell for it tbh, seeing as I already have the last 3 games. Big fan. I got my start with Devastation, then got the other 2 later. I still haven't used the Force Gauge though. Would you say it is more balanced because of that?
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:58 pm

Post by Zorblag »

The newer characters (Fate and on,) be balanced with Force gauge, but Troll finds that it throws some of the earlier ones off. It be helping some (Clive's ability to add stun guard to any attack pair makes him safer in many matchups, Marmelee certainly welcomes stun guard as well,) and hurts others Troll be sure (Demitras to some degree as having 2 stun guard against his attacks often be enough and him has at least one style that needs the opponenet to have priority 3 or less to stun which be easier to play around as an opponent.) It be one extra resource to manage, but it be a pretty simple one. Troll does like not having to worry about the Special action, so that be nice. The extra style (Force Special Action,) also be really nice at times. A blank style really helps some characters from time to time, without usually adding that much more to think about for attack pairs as usually it isn't that attractive.

The other things this set will formally introduce be Dodge. We've been playing with that instead of Dash on our Forum Games for the most part. It also has a big influence on the games as it shifts the movement to a start of beat instead of before activating, but drops the priority to 3 from 9. Troll has played with it more, so Troll be fine with it.

TL:DR;
no not more balanced, just differently balanced now.

Troll hasn't yet played any of the characters from Fate, but Troll be looking forward to a few.

If you ever be up for any forum games, do let us know! Troll would love to be crushed by you!

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
StaplerTowel
StaplerTowel
He
Townie
StaplerTowel
He
Townie
Townie

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:07 pm

Post by StaplerTowel »

Oh and I'm no pro---just an avid fan and supporter to get all 3 games, but haven't played much myself :D

I'm up for a game, but I'm actually referee-ing a tag deathmatch in another forum, so my hands are a little tied. I'll let you know when I am able. If it weren't for you, I would never have known about the Dash nerf. Interesting.
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:00 pm

Post by Zorblag »

The change in Dash to Dodge is interesting. It is more clashable, but Troll hesitates to call it a nerf as moving it to start of beat from after activating makes it more reliable (you can't be fast enough to avoid it like Demitras and some others used to be able to, and it can't be lost to a couple effects that stop before or after activating from firing (which seem more common than the ones that stop start of beat/end of beat.))

Any time you be free for a game just let us know! Right now it's mostly KingdomAces and Troll playing, but we certainly be happy to expand the community here!

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:35 pm

Post by Zorblag »

All right! The kickstarter for BattleCON: Trials of Indines be live.

It mostly be what was expected, but them do have the storage solution for the whole system stretch goal that Troll was merely strongly hoping for!

It looks like it might be a nice place to step into Indines based on the mix of Characters, and Troll be pretty happy that these now start coming with deck boxes for all the characters by default so Troll can stop making them (a skill which Troll only marginally has.)

There be a few more promos (looks like about 3,) but these be interesting in that them will apparently be tournament legal and fully in the Indines universe which no has been true of promos in the past.

Does anyone else plan on backing? Does anyone hate what them be doing?

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:19 pm

Post by Zorblag »

And now there be a bit more information about the changes to the force gauge.

It seems that it will be replacing the 15 beats in a game. The game will now start with a number of force tokens and players will gain 1 each turn by default (or more if them be at 7 life or below or have used the force special action.) The last beat will come with the tokens be out. In the games we have played here at least two have ended at beat 15 with a 2-1 life balance, so that change in the number of beats could have made some difference.

Them apparently also be getting rid of soak as one of the effects that can be anted for. That leaves +1 Power, +2 Priority and +2 Stun Guard. That makes the +1 Power more potent and stops players from being able to ante to effective stun guard 3 on any attack them want to.

Troll no has seen the final version of the rules, but them be interesting. In a live game the Force tokens for timing seems at least as easy to remember to use as the turn counter (which Troll knows Troll has forgotten to advance at least once.) Troll no knows how much more fiddly it will feel for forum play.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:11 am

Post by GreyICE »

YES! This is a huge improvement! The 15 turn counter was fiddly. Too often we looked over and went "oh right how many beats have passed"? It was meant to simulate a clock, but it did a bad job (clocks work in fighting games because the computer). And this makes the Force Gage less symmetrical which means it feels like it has a purpose. I feel like it didn't address the +2 Stun Guard making Shot the most powerful attack in the entire game by a huge margin issue, but maybe its not finalized.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones

Return to “The Arcade”