BattleCON: War, Devastation or Fate of Indines

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:30 pm

Post by Zorblag »

So Troll has decided that it be time to try Endrbyt. Does anyone want to destroy Troll in this matchup? GreyICE be welcome to do it using Shot and Hepzibah to dominate Troll, but any other be welcome to step up and smack Troll down as well!

Troll be thinking that Troll's Endrbyt will be as follows:

Reactor Mode
Styles: Capturing, Collection, Displacement, Sonic, Terrifying
Bases: Buster, Burst, Dodge, Drive, Shot, Slice, Strike

Troll would decide the finisher based on the matchup. Troll in theory should decide all of those based on the matchup, but that build looks fun enough for Troll to play.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:18 pm

Post by Accountant »

I had the privilege of speaking to Marco, the guy who makes the BattleGUIDE videos, recently. He provided a lot of good insights on my Seth play, chief of which that I tried too hard to predict my opponent, rather than using Beyond Eyes as a safety net to cover the final option. He said I should think of Seth's UA and Wyrding/Omen proc was similar to "Bob Ross" beats - not something you strive for, but a happy little accident that gives you an edge. I thought that was a very interesting way of looking at it.
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:07 am

Post by Zorblag »

That be good advice for Seth play. It actually be similar to how Ottavia should play in many ways. The prediction characters no need to guess correctly every time, them just need to make guesses that will cover good attack pairs that their own attack pair loses to. It opens up the play to be much more forgiving and certainly changes the attack pairs that them be likely to use in positive ways.

When Accountant wants to give Seth another go Troll be down for it! Or, perhaps playing against KingdomAces would be appealing as them be the other player who be most active just now.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:27 am

Post by GreyICE »

Ottavia is broken ass shit that's banned in tournament play for a reason. There's literally characters that cannot beat a competently played Ottavia.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:43 am

Post by Zorblag »

That no changes the principles behind the play though. Ottavia no needs to guess correctly; she needs to be able to make a guess to cover holes in her attack pair. Attacks that would lose priority anyhow usually no matter to her, so she isn't trying to guess exactly what the opponent is playing so much as covering her bases. The same as good Seth play should do.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:18 am

Post by GreyICE »

Yeah. Seth is not quite so good at making opponents only have bad moves, but it is a similar principle.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:53 pm

Post by Zorblag »

@GreyICE, Troll got distracted before the last game, but does Hepzibah vs. Endrybyt sound like a game you'd be interested in playing?

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:45 pm

Post by Zorblag »

So back when Troll first mentioned that replacement for the Force Gauge, Troll seems to have had the numbers slightly off. Each player gets 2 of the 40 tokens, not 4 to start with (4 be the total.) That makes the matches about the length Troll feels them should be. It be nice to be wrong sometimes.

Troll has never looked into playing with more than 2 at once, so Troll no knows how the Force Tokens handle that. Perhaps just 20 tokens per player. It be unlikely Troll would ever got to that being important in the foreseeable future anyhow.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:58 pm

Post by GreyICE »

In post 81, Zorblag wrote:@GreyICE, Troll got distracted before the last game, but does Hepzibah vs. Endrybyt sound like a game you'd be interested in playing?

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Oh hey, I didn't see this.

Sure, I have little Hepzi experience, but I'll play it.

New tokens solve two huge issues with the game in one motion - the round counter being regularly forgotten, and the force gauge not being an ability that you can actually ante.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:03 pm

Post by Accountant »

In post 83, GreyICE wrote:
In post 81, Zorblag wrote:@GreyICE, Troll got distracted before the last game, but does Hepzibah vs. Endrybyt sound like a game you'd be interested in playing?

-Zorblag R`Lyeh

New tokens solve two huge issues with the game in one motion - the round counter being regularly forgotten, and the force gauge not being an ability that you can actually ante.
play Anathema whatever with antes on power, prio and either range or ignore SG, depending on which one you need

if he doesn't hard read it you hit for 8 and he can't do anything

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:10 pm

Post by Zorblag »

In post 83, GreyICE wrote:

-Zorblag R`Lyeh

And now Troll has been offsite for the past while.

The Hepzibah suggestion was just because that was who you mentioned last time a potential match came up. If you have another character you prefer that be fine with Troll. Troll will still give Endrbyt a go offhand, though perhaps not with quite the kit mentioned before. If you be interested let Troll know who you would like to play and Troll will post a game thread. In theory we can both notice the game at the same time Troll thinks.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:55 pm

Post by Accountant »

I want to play a game with anyone. Spreadsheets or forum. I'll be Tanis.

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:57 pm

Post by Accountant »

Zorblag, what do you think are the strongest tournament characters, and how did you select them? I'm currently running Seth/Clive/Mikhail, though anyone but Seth are subject to being swapped in for my reserves(Tanis/Thessala/Rexan/Lesandra). I no longer think Zaamassal is tournament-worthy though; he gets beat down by people like Vanaah and Clive.

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:57 pm

Post by Accountant »

Also Byron is tournament viable and I don't care what HUECTRUM says.

Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:05 pm

Post by Zorblag »

Troll hasn't even played all the characters so that be a tricky one for Troll. Seth, Clive and Mikhail all be fine choices (Troll went with two of them for the tournament Troll played in, and Seth be strong enough.) The others you list all seem fine as well, including Byron who be strong enough and unpredictable enough to be an interesting choice. Troll hasn't played them, but Burman and Baenvier seem strong (you have experience with Baenvier.) Lixis be an annoying matchup for many and probably be worth considering. Mostly Troll would play characters that be fun though, so that no be so helpful an answer. Cesar and Karin probably be in the mix for that then? Maybe Magdelina (who be better with the special style.)

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:11 pm

Post by Zorblag »

Oh, and Tatsumi with the Soak and plenty of movement options. She be strong against many and enjoyable enough to play. Troll would consider her on a team. Were Troll to play in another tournament Troll might go with Tatsumi, Mikhail and maybe Adjenna? Adjenna be interesting and Troll no has played her, but Troll expects she might be banned by some so Troll could actually play Mikhail. Perhaps?

If Accountant wants to play a Tanis game Troll be up for it. Troll could play whoever on spreadsheets. Perhaps Tatsumi.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:29 am

Post by Accountant »

I think Cesar is a little too predictable. Karin is fine as a tournament character. Burman is ok but aside from his finisher, he's "merely moderately strong". Don't like Magdelina for tournaments because she gets killed by beatdown characters and disruptors. Lixis is strong but I'm not convinced she's top tier.

Not enough experience with Tatsumi to say, but she seems a little MU-dependent. That said I think she's solid and would happily play Tanis vs Tatsumi against you.

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:29 am

Post by Accountant »

I also commissioned some Seth art, and can post it when I get to a computer.

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:07 pm

Post by Accountant »

Additionally, I feel that the ability to perform well against a wide range of fighters is crucial for a good tournament pick. That's why fighters like Endrbyt, Clive, Rexan, Thessala and Lesandra are so strong.

Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:24 am

Post by Zorblag »

As Troll says, Troll be more likely to play characters that be fun for Troll. And without having much experience with about half the cast a feel for the matchups be outside of the range that Troll feels to comfortable having down at this point.

In any case, Troll will set up a spreadsheet game for Tanis and Tatsumi.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:49 am

Post by Accountant »

2nd place on the tournament. I did way better than I expected. I thought I would get knocked out round 1. Zorblag, this means we can finish our game.

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:13 am

Post by Accountant »

Return to “The Arcade”