Mass Effect

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Zulfy
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Mass Effect

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:48 am

Post by Zulfy »

So after a year of playing off and on I've finally finished my playthrough of mass effect.

I'm sure some of you have also played the games and was wondering your opinion of them.
Spoiler alert.

So see me, I made my Shepard from scratch, tried making him look like me but he didn't really but he looked alright.

Anyway, I started as a Ruthless Earthborn Sentinel, and whenever I had to make a decision I tried to make it as quickly as possible, since I think that makes the game more exciting. I only loaded a save once when I forgot to upgrade my speech and Wrex ended up getting shot, other than that though I lived with all the decisions I made, didn't look anything up or anything. Saved and romanced Ashley (thought I was saving Kaidan but right at the end it's like 'Decide again!' so I chose her) and let the council die. I tried to be a paragon, and mostly was save for every once in a while when you had to deal with a bunch of bullshit that my Shepard had no time for, like the plant thing corporation people. I hear people don't like ME1's gameplay but I thought it was great, oh well.

ME2 was a great improvement though, played as an Adept because it seemed like a blast and I was right, making people float and explode all the time. I thought the side missions were kinda weird because it's like, you're on this high-priority mission but have time to find this guy's dad? Anyway yea I was hoping some people would die and it would be all tragic and stuff but I couldn't help but be a goody goody paragon and everyone survived the suicide mission. Sometimes I wish being a good person had some terrible consequences, like I sort of hoped once I opened Grunt's tank he'd go on a rampage and kill someone or something, but no he ends up being your very best buddy. Didn't romance anyone cuz fuck all that emotional baggage, and Tali could literally die from that, so at the end Shepard stared at this random picture of Ashley and I thought that was kinda neat.

I played ME3 on insanity, which made finishing that much more rewarding. I was done with Ashley's paranoid ass and was planning on staying celebate forever after but I sorta gravitated towards Liara, the whole Liara-Shepard relationship from ME1 to ME3 was great, in my playthrough it was the best storyline anyway, since she likes you at first but you choose Ashley over here and then when Ashley thinks you're all brainwashed she's the one that's there for you when you need to kill a fat crab.

Thankfully I had heard ahead of time of the terrible ending and the extended edition DLC thing, so I downloaded that right quick and I thought it was okay. Chose control ending cuz Synthesis seemed sort of like what the Reapers were already doing and I didn't want to destroy the geth, plus as the catalyst said AIs would be built up again anyway.

And yea everyone lived happily ever after, maybe I should have let the rachni queen die but I wasn't about to genocide nobody, and I think not saving the council is supposed to be the renegade option but I wasn't about to throw away a fleet because of some politicians' incompetence.

What about you tho?
no investigation no right to speak
Zulfy
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:50 am

Post by Zulfy »

I bought DLCs for the first time ever by the way: Kasumi, Arrival for ME2, and Citadel for ME3, shouldn't have bought Kasumi tho because she's not even a character.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:29 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

There is/was another thread for this. I like the series though but I remember disliking ME2 for some reason and I'm one of the few that didn't hate the ending of ME3.

I think they are supposed to be making a ME MMO.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Zulfy
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:26 pm

Post by Zulfy »

I really dont like MMOs

Anyway, the original endings were the same scene but with a different color, how can anyone appreciate that?

And what choices did you pick?
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:05 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

I know I was a good guy. And I saved Ashley in ME1. Beyond that I cab't really remember much.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:17 pm

Post by BBmolla »

New game is basically like the old ones from the jist I get.

I still yearn for the feeling I had when I first played through this game. Now when I play through it's like reliving old memories.

:(
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
Zulfy
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:29 am

Post by Zulfy »

Yea I dont think I'll replay It at all, I like the way the story played out for me and playing again feels like messing with that.

Just got da inquisition, last time I played DA2 was yyyears ago so I still got some BioWare magic to enjoy
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:53 am

Post by BBmolla »

KOTOR and KOTOR 2 are both worth a playthrough if you enjoyed ME.
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:39 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

KOTOR>KOTOR 2. There's a The Old Republic MMO that I like alot. I call it KOTOR 3 since it is a continuation of the
Revan
storyline. There's also a patch for KOTOR that supposedly fixes things and I vaugely remember reading a thing about a KOTOR reboot with better graphics.

Bioware games are great, one game that I like that does not get the acclaim that the KOTOR-ME-DA camp gets is Jade Empire.

NEW Mass Effect game next year get hype!

Zulfy
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:23 am

Post by Zulfy »

I am on a 3-year delay when it comes to gaming so no hype here
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:09 am

Post by Nero Cain »

I'm JUST now playing Skyrim so I got you beat.

Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:42 am

Post by Iecerint »

DA3 was pretty fun.
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:44 pm

Post by Ankamius »

There's way too much to do in DA3...
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:58 am

Post by KuroiXHF »

MASS EFFECT NEWS:

Explorers Wanted! They're looking for people to voice two roles. (They may or may not be used.)

http://blog.bioware.com/2016/08/30/expl ... d-contest/

More information!
inte
inte
Mafia Scum
inte
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:38 am

Post by inte »

jade empires the shit if u like chinky shit

my favorite stances were viper / tempest / staff
Show
W(eed)/L: 420/2

T:2/2/0
S:1/0/0
N:0/0/0

When dreamen gad-adto-ello-lahwer time-antime ageeee-ayeeeeah-ye-e-ah-nn.
inte
inte
Mafia Scum
inte
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:41 am

Post by inte »

fuck i love wuxia shit honestly it was prolly my favorite bioware game behind kotor 1&2 and probs top 10 ever
Show
W(eed)/L: 420/2

T:2/2/0
S:1/0/0
N:0/0/0

When dreamen gad-adto-ello-lahwer time-antime ageeee-ayeeeeah-ye-e-ah-nn.
Basic
Basic
Goon
Basic
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:36 pm

Post by Basic »

Spoilers. There's not much to say about the first ME. It exceeded all expectations. Multiple playthroughs. None of which did I kill Wrex. Because that would have litterally broke my heart. Saved the rachnai queen. Let the counsel die because they had got enough warnings.
The second game after selling out to ea was okay. But saren had more momentum. Liked the introduction of new characters and after meeting RI kaidan again and him going nuts and having mived on, romanced garrus. Far better choice. Had an alternate save with RI thane. Was able to diffuse situation between jack and miranda. Saved the crew as soon as they were taken. But lost the merc in the last stand. No tears shed.
The last game was sort of melancholic. Dont remember a lot of big choices this game. Cured the genophage. Destroyed the reapers. It just seemed like the right thing to do at the time. Rather than assimilation or control. I found there's something about it not being right in either sense. Whereas you'd live in peace if the reapers weren't just out to get you.

There were some great story telling aspects to me. Especially in the first game. But also in the 2nd. The companions had bulk to them... and you could relate to some of their circumstances. But by the third game it was awash with bodies and like..... reporter, whatshisname from Jersey shore, mechanic. It was litterally like they were labels. It felt a bit shoe horned in. I think 3 was just wrapping things up in so far as possible. TIM could have made an epic villian in 3 but felt like he was just a shell by the time i seen him again. I was expecting more.
I didn't love my ending. But I didn't hate it either. I prefer it being a real choice of "this is what you can do" over the indoctrination theory.

Bioware games are very good. Even da3 was quite entertaining. And following me3 I wasn't holding my breath but Im fairly sure David gaider has a lot to do with that. Jade empire too pre ea buy, is a bit more serious, not as much character depth but a great play.
If it's not going to be remembered in Five years time,
It's not worth worrying about Five minutes longer.
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:00 pm

Post by Ankamius »

Most people seem to have picked Destroy; my perspective was that Control was the "least evil" option of the bunch, although most people also brokered peace between the Geth and Quarians, while I let the Geth genocide the Quarians (which was the "least evil" option in my eyes there too; I didn't end up doing the side mission on Rannoch that gave the last points needed to allow peace). I'm sure my perspective would have changed if the Quarians had still been alive.
UpTooLate
UpTooLate
Mafia Scum
UpTooLate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:53 am

Post by UpTooLate »

Upon reading this thread I have the urge to play through these games again.
Get to know me!
Take care of those you call your own, and keep good company.
Zulfy
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:38 am

Post by Zulfy »

Who did you romance UT?

Was it James? I bet it was James.

Return to “The Arcade”