Pokemon: GO

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #275 (ISO) » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:45 am

Post by zoraster »

So I think i've linked it before, but this is the AR I'm hopeful for. I'm a little gunshy because the shooter part of the game requires actually buying something to add on, which can only serve to drastically reduce potential players. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fath ... aser-tag#/
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #276 (ISO) » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:15 am

Post by Rhinox »

Almost ran out of pokeballs yesterday. Would have, had I not hit lvl 7 on my last through. Still, I've got 13 currently in my bag, so unless I find a pokestop to sit on for a while I'm going to be out of luck soon :(
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #277 (ISO) » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:58 am

Post by PokerFace »

I don't play pokemon. Never have. It came out when I was 13 and I had other things on my mind then. I have many friends that can't stop talking about it. And co-workers that can't stop talking about it. An email just went out at my work place urging people to stop coming to the giant fountain at the front of my work place during work hours for pokemon go related stuff. Apparently its a pokestop or something. This game and the fad it has garnered is ridiculous
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Jahudo
Jahudo
Mafia Scum
Jahudo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #278 (ISO) » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:26 am

Post by Jahudo »

The fountain would have been registered by someone playing Ingress a while back. They were supposed to use public places as map points but they also put them in front of restaurants, shops, etc. I saw a lot of that at west side market the other day.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #279 (ISO) » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:40 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 278, Jahudo wrote:The fountain would have been registered by someone playing Ingress a while back. They were supposed to use public places as map points but they also put them in front of restaurants, shops, etc. I saw a lot of that at west side market the other day.
relevant: here or possibly here too
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #280 (ISO) » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:17 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

I just had a Bulbasaur spawn in my house, but I think the servers are overloaded (it jammed on the in-ball screen and the pokeball in the corner is still spinning), but I don't want to quit the app because I know he's despawned if it's not loaded the option options, but I don't think it's going to grant me that.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/they

Post Post #281 (ISO) » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:20 am

Post by Fenchurch »

If you get the ball-glitch, you may still have caught it. The game will have already decided whether he broke free or you caught it, but it got stuck trying to load the relevant animation. If you end up having to restart the game, the bulbasaur will be in your inventory and your journal if you caught it. It's happened to me a lot.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #282 (ISO) » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:32 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

Usually it finishes spinning the pokeball before that.
I gave up on having it confirmed something happened after 40 minutes of waiting, as the next Pokémon was going to be appearing. I haven't got back into the game since I did that though, do there's still hope.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #283 (ISO) » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:35 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

But I think it's going to have gone the same way as the Radicate I had under the same circumstances a week ago where I left the game open overnight waiting, the only trace of it was a greyed outline in the pokedex
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #284 (ISO) » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:32 am

Post by Chevre »

yeah, most of the time when I catch something and it freezes on the ball I have ended up catching it.
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #285 (ISO) » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:00 am

Post by Equinox »

Remember to be alert at all times. Stay aware of your surroundings.

Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #286 (ISO) » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:00 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

Didn't get the bulba :(
Only trace is the outline to say I've encountered one in the pokedex, but there was nothing I could do about getting kicked from the server (as I never got back on last night, I think that has to the only possible scenario as for why it was taking so long to spin out)
I'll catch one again eventually and even out my caught/seen listed
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #287 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:10 am

Post by PokerFace »

Jahudo wrote:The fountain would have been registered by someone playing Ingress a while back. They were supposed to use public places as map points but they also put them in front of restaurants, shops, etc. I saw a lot of that at west side market the other day.
Just learned its not a pokestop out front of my workplace, its a gym so people are battling for control of the gym and the people in the executive office can see them from their main windows. lol
Last edited by PokerFace on Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #288 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:47 am

Post by Fenchurch »

Today I found out why I never got anything from lures and incense. I was pretty sure there was something wrong since CES would always see stuff there and I couldn't.

Looking forward to finding a lure now that it might have actual pokemon :)
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #289 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:47 am

Post by Fenchurch »

Oh maybe this also explains why my lucky egg only lasted for 26 minutes :?
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #290 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:04 am

Post by Mina »

This game was finally released in Canada, but it's basically unplayable for me.

I have the glitch that only lists Pokémon that are three paw prints away, so it's impossible to actively hunt one. Instead of the joy of discovering side streets and new locations while searching for a rare Pokémon (which seems like the major appeal of the game), I can only walk down the street and wait for a Zubat to jump in my face.

And the only times I've tried to access a Pokestop, the game froze on me. Never mind how often the servers are down.

I can certainly understand why it's so addictive, though, given how much effort I've put into trying to play it despite its unplayability.
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #291 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:10 am

Post by Fenchurch »

In post 290, Mina wrote:I have the glitch that only lists Pokemon that are three paw prints away, so it's impossible to actively hunt Pokémon. Instead of the joy of discovering side streets and new locations while searching for a rare Pokémon (which seems like the major appeal of the game), I can only walk down the street and wait for a Zubat to jump in my face.
I think everyone has that at the moment. It's not a glitch with you, it's the server. The pokestops freezing is probably also the server; mine have been iffy all day. It'll probably get better in a day or two, especially if the Canada launch was today.
Mina wrote:I can certainly understand why it's so addictive, though, given how much effort I've put into trying to play it despite its unplayability.
:]
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #292 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:16 pm

Post by GreyICE »

I have an 800 CP Flareon named lexi.

Nothing else of note but I have my priorities
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #293 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:30 pm

Post by implosion »

So moved from Boston area to Mountain View today. Lots of interesting discoveries in the land of pokemon go. Specifically that the pokemon here are totally different, with the exceptions of things like rattata/spearow/pidgey/zubat etc. I haven't seen a drowzee yet, for one, and I've seen many pokemon (either on radar or in encounters) that I hadn't seen at all in Boston (sandshrew, ekans, pikachu, ponyta to name a few). There are some pokemon I've seen a lot of that were in Boston but just uncommon there (the most notable example is paras).

I was at a lured stop at LAX long enough to get three spawns there as well: a rattata, a pidgey, and an ekans, the last of which surprised me. The only reason I already had ekans and sandshrew was because I hatched both of them from eggs.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #294 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:51 pm

Post by GreyICE »

In post 275, zoraster wrote:So I think i've linked it before, but this is the AR I'm hopeful for. I'm a little gunshy because the shooter part of the game requires actually buying something to add on, which can only serve to drastically reduce potential players. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fath ... aser-tag#/
And it's on indiegogo which is darn near a synonym for scam
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #295 (ISO) » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:40 am

Post by zoraster »

I mean there have been scams, but I don't think most are. Still, I didn't put any money down for it for kind of that reason.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #296 (ISO) » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:42 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 293, implosion wrote:So moved from Boston area to Mountain View today. Lots of interesting discoveries in the land of pokemon go. Specifically that the pokemon here are totally different, with the exceptions of things like rattata/spearow/pidgey/zubat etc. I haven't seen a drowzee yet, for one, and I've seen many pokemon (either on radar or in encounters) that I hadn't seen at all in Boston (sandshrew, ekans, pikachu, ponyta to name a few). There are some pokemon I've seen a lot of that were in Boston but just uncommon there (the most notable example is paras).

I was at a lured stop at LAX long enough to get three spawns there as well: a rattata, a pidgey, and an ekans, the last of which surprised me. The only reason I already had ekans and sandshrew was because I hatched both of them from eggs.
Oh my goodness are there a lot of ekans. I thought they were meant to be nearly as common as rattatas and pidgeys. But from area to area it varies a lot too. I've only gotten a handful of eevee's from where I am, well short of an evolution, but my wife has collected enough to evolve a number of them mostly from work.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #297 (ISO) » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:51 am

Post by zoraster »

I got a hitmonchan and it doesn't appear to have an evolved form? Is that common?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #298 (ISO) » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:06 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I think most Pokemon have evolution states, but there are several that don't. Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee both are one-stage (although they got a pre-evo later), Tauros is one-stage as well. All the legendaries, also.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #299 (ISO) » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:14 am

Post by InflatablePie »

It's rumored that Pokemon Go is releasing in Japan tomorrow. Just a heads up to anyone who was planning any long walks tomorrow, since the servers will probably crash again if it does release.
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.

Return to “The Arcade”