Pokemon: GO

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #725 (ISO) » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:11 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

3 and 4 are acceptable, the rest no
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/they

Post Post #726 (ISO) » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:12 am

Post by Fenchurch »

In post 724, Psyche wrote:If the game allows it it should be ok
mark of a poor game if it’s not enjoyable following this general principle
Sure, it'd be great if the game was designed in a way that made these questions unnecessary. But the same kind of questions apply to a mafia game. You could be a total shit to other players. You could lie about your real life circumstances to avoid pressure. And so we have debates over whether these kind of things are okay.

Also, using multiple accounts is explicitly deemed by Niantic to be breaking the rules, but it's very difficult for them to enforce and so they don't. But that's a bit like... joining a pvp game with an account on both sides and then throwing on one so that your other account wins.
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #727 (ISO) » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:15 am

Post by Fenchurch »

In post 725, Not_Mafia wrote:3 and 4 are acceptable, the rest no
Thanks for the answer! Can you explain why? A particular dilemma I have is between 1 and 4. These both involve other players helping you in a way that doesn't directly benefit them. Why would one be okay and the other not?
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #728 (ISO) » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:25 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

In post 723, Fenchurch wrote:1. Getting a player on a different team to knock a space in a gym of your own team so that you can add to it
2. Using a second account on a different team to knock a space in a gym of your own team so that you can add to it
3. Using golden berries to defend a gym you are holding, whilst someone is trying to take it down
4. Getting players on your team to help defend a gym before an ex raid, even though they don’t have a pass to that raid
5. Using a second account on your own team to help defend a gym before an ex raid
6. Getting a player on a different team to help you remove a specific player from a gym, without affecting the rest of the players occupying that gym
7. Using a second account to knock your own pokemon out of a gym so that you get coins
1. Not really in the spirit getting your mon into a gym should be, you should be taking down another team's gym if you can't get in one of your own
2. I'm inclined to say no to anything involving a 2nd account, but specifically about this, see above
3. I stopped playing a while ago so don't know exactly what golden berries do, but I don't think it matters whether someone is currently taking a gym or not, you can always defend it/power it up
4. Again don't know the exact mechanics of EX Raids, but I don't see the issue with bolstering your own teams gym, even with no direct immediate benefit, it could easily benefit you in the future
5. I don't understand the benefit of this versus using your main account, so I can't say
6. If this is some personal give and take you have with someone, cool, otherwise you shouldn't be targetting people out of gyms, gyms should be attacked to take it from another team
7. This one isn't actually bad I guess, other than using a second account this is whatever
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #729 (ISO) » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:28 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

In post 727, Fenchurch wrote:
In post 725, Not_Mafia wrote:3 and 4 are acceptable, the rest no
Thanks for the answer! Can you explain why? A particular dilemma I have is between 1 and 4. These both involve other players helping you in a way that doesn't directly benefit them. Why would one be okay and the other not?
I think 1 is just helping someone sabotage their own team for personal gain, even if it does make the gym stronger
4 is someone aiding people on their team, which could help them in future, e.g. someone who had a pass returns the favour on a day you do and they don't etc.. I can't really think of a circumstance where defending your own gym would be bad
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #730 (ISO) » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:31 am

Post by T-Bone »

No to anything involving multiple accounts or spoofing. Everything else is cool.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #731 (ISO) » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:17 am

Post by Fenchurch »

In post 730, T-Bone wrote:No to anything involving multiple accounts or spoofing. Everything else is cool.
Even 6? That one seems pretty malicious to me.

Luckily our community is pretty united on opposing spoofing, so that doesn't make it onto the list.
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #732 (ISO) » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:22 am

Post by T-Bone »

6 is actually a really good tool against rogue players.

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #733 (ISO) » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:25 am

Post by schadd_ »

In post 724, Psyche wrote:If the game allows it it should be ok
mark of a poor game if it’s not enjoyable following this general principle
i think its poetic that the thing ive disagreed with psyche on the hardest is abt video games
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: Balki B

Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #734 (ISO) » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:42 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 730, T-Bone wrote:No to anything involving multiple accounts or spoofing. Everything else is cool.
Agreed, tho 6 is a dick move if you're targeting someone specifically. That's called bullying.
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #735 (ISO) » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:44 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

We’ve got some division in our local community around what is and isn’t acceptable play. Curious what the opinions are here are on which of these are okay or not, and why? I know what my gut feelings are, but I find it hard to articulate the reasons.

1. Getting a player on a different team to knock a space in a gym of your own team so that you can add to it
- Shitty, but allowed.
2. Using a second account on a different team to knock a space in a gym of your own team so that you can add to it
- Technically not allowed.
3. Using golden berries to defend a gym you are holding, whilst someone is trying to take it down
- This is fine.
4. Getting players on your team to help defend a gym before an ex raid, even though they don’t have a pass to that raid
- This is fine.
5. Using a second account on your own team to help defend a gym before an ex raid
6. Getting a player on a different team to help you remove a specific player from a gym, without affecting the rest of the players occupying that gym
- Uhhh I mean seems fine? Part of strategy?
7. Using a second account to knock your own pokemon out of a gym so that you get coins
- Technically not allowed
green shirt thursdays
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #736 (ISO) » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:54 pm

Post by Glork »

In post 735, xRECKONERx wrote:We’ve got some division in our local community around what is and isn’t acceptable play. Curious what the opinions are here are on which of these are okay or not, and why? I know what my gut feelings are, but I find it hard to articulate the reasons.

1. Getting a player on a different team to knock a space in a gym of your own team so that you can add to it
- Shitty, but allowed.
- This is fine.
- This is fine.
- Uhhh I mean seems fine? Part of strategy?
- Technically not allowed
I basically 100% agree with this.

Regarding your dilemma for scenarios 1 and 4, Fenchurch:
1 is defintely kind of low, but happens regularly enough that I think people have become largely desensitized to it. As long as you are not targeting a specific palyer all the time (scenario 6), I don't think that having friends from other teams help you out is necessarily the Worst Thing Ever. I personally don't like it/don't do it, but I no longer raise a fuss when other people do. Sadly, it's part of the game.
4 is all about team play. Many people in our community show up to EX raids without having a pass because their family/friends are there, and they want to hang out. And in doing so, they will typically try to hold/defend a gym even if they aren't raiding it. If my fellow Mystics help me defend an EX raid gym so that I get extra balls, I will definitely try to return the favor. "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" is a generally accepted concept around here, particularly among the same team.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #737 (ISO) » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:57 pm

Post by T-Bone »

Honestly you shouldn't even have friends on other teams anyway. THEY ARE THE ENEMY AND MUST BE DESTROYED LOOKING AT YOU MYSTIC AND INSTINCT

xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #738 (ISO) » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:28 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

lmfao wow a fucking valor scrub
green shirt thursdays
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #739 (ISO) » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:28 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 737, T-Bone wrote:Honestly you shouldn't even have friends on other teams anyway. THEY ARE THE ENEMY AND MUST BE DESTROYED LOOKING AT YOU MYSTIC AND INSTINCT
Fite me mate!

Mystic rules all!
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #740 (ISO) » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:43 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

3 is the entire reason golden razzberries exist.
4 is the same before any raid, EX or otherwise doesn't matter, going to be raiding or not also doesn't matter, it's a gym and should be fought over using all allowed means.

1 depends on me on how long the first person has been in the gym for my mind. I think if you're going to do this, just get the person on the other team to completely clear the gym.

6 is fine if the specific player is yourself and you need coins and the other people don't want coins yet. (Or you have been asked by that player concerned)

I've personally done 7 a few times.
I will never use the second account for 2 though. I'll take the whole gym down and leave the second account in there.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #741 (ISO) » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:11 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

I've been trying to complete the "Get 3 Great throws in a row" for almost a week now. IDK what the reward is (like a rainbow-striped candy?) but is it worth it? I get nervous when I get 2 Greats in a row and choke.
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #742 (ISO) » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:16 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

That would be a rare candy. It counts as any type of pokémon's candy!
- Jingle
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #743 (ISO) » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:19 pm

Post by schadd_ »

In post 741, Errantparabola wrote:I've been trying to complete the "Get 3 Great throws in a row" for almost a week now. IDK what the reward is (like a rainbow-striped candy?) but is it worth it? I get nervous when I get 2 Greats in a row and choke.
its kind of gameable, in that u can seek out pokemon with big hitboxes (evolved forms, low cp rattatas or smth that is close) and use nanab berries/default pokeballs (so they break out) etc.

rainbow-striped candy is
rare candy which u can use as a candy for any pokemon

it takes practice! i believe in u! :^)
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: Balki B

Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #744 (ISO) » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:16 am

Post by Papa Zito »

I like that you have a community that gets into debates about the finer points of morality in Pokego, Fenchurch.
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #745 (ISO) » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:55 pm

Post by Fenchurch »

Well, the truth is I’d rather not have to. But unfortunately I’m an admin of one of our local raid groups, and a pair of players have been taking part in some of the scummier kinds of play in that list (1, 2, 5, 6) as well as some things I didn’t bother putting on there, e.g creating extra alts just to fill gyms and block spaces from the players who they are targeting. And yes, 6 is pretty clearly bullying in my book, since it’s been used multiple times to target individuals who have spoken up against them.

They’ve claimed at various times there’s nothing wrong with what they’re doing, that it’s equivalent to other kinds of competitive play and teamwork (e.g items 3 and 4), or that it’s not been made clear what is and isn’t allowed. I’d love to say, ‘just don’t be an asshole’, but it seems like that’s not enough. So I’ve been trying to set some clear boundaries and wanted to sense check that they’re fair, and I’m not being biased that a certain playstyle is bad just because I associate it with someone who does other nasty things.

I’ve decided that even though 1 might be not be strictly banned by what Niantic has written, it’s shitty enough that I’m not okay with it. And actually, I don’t know of any other players who feel it’s necessary to do this.

Thanks for the help guys, it was really useful hearing outside opinions.
JurgenVW
JurgenVW
Ninja
JurgenVW
Ninja
Ninja

Post Post #746 (ISO) » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:20 am

Post by JurgenVW »

3&4 are obviously fine as behaviours.

6 I can see being okay in some circumstances, but it would be an agreed and reciprocal kind of duel idea in my head? There's some people back in my home region (where I'm no longer based) who do that, but it's all agreed between them, and they're all okay with it.

But if it was just doing it to someone who wasn't in on it, that would not be anywhere near reasonable to be doing.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #747 (ISO) » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:09 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So what exactly is the gameplay reason why raids don't just give you the pokemon? Because I don't have a group, so getting a difficult raid involves getting lucky enough to stumble upon a group already going for it; so when I do manage to take down a legendary and then don't get it because it breaks out of 10 Golden Razz+Curveball throws, it kind feels like I just got dicked over for no reason.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #748 (ISO) » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:31 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

The same gameplay reason you can't just tap on a Pokemon in the wild and catch it automatically.
Part of the thrill is the chase.
green shirt thursdays
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #749 (ISO) » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:07 am

Post by Papa Zito »

In post 747, Sudo_Nym wrote:Because I don't have a group, so getting a difficult raid involves getting lucky enough to stumble upon a group already going for it
Is your area not organized on Discord or something similar?
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.

Return to “The Arcade”