Scummer D&D: new thread

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #800 (ISO) » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:55 am

Post by Dunnstral »

-760g restorations
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #801 (ISO) » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:31 pm

Post by Who »

Who said that?
Chamber. It's all a conspiracy.
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #802 (ISO) » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:47 pm

Post by Who »

For future reference, this was discussed in site chat:

Homebrew Feat: Master of the Northern Wind Style
Effect: You may use Quarterstaves as reach weapons. When wielding a quarterstaff, you must decide whether to use it as a reach weapon on a non-reach weapon at the beginning of your turn. (Or when you draw it, if you draw it in the middle of a turn)

Normal: Quarterstaves are not reach weapons.

Other changes from 3.75:
FakeGod (00:06:07)(Saturday)(2018)
Archmage is getting revamped; the skills requirement is lowered to 12 ranks, and the spells requirement is gone; you must be a generalist though
FakeGod (00:06:18)(Saturday)(2018)
all of the spell slot costs for high arcana are reduced by two levels
FakeGod (00:10:38)(Saturday)(2018)
Shadowdancer's shadow jump is getting buffed to at will. The indicated range remains same however.
FakeGod (00:16:36)(Saturday)(2018)
I believe I will be using Pathfinder's version of Arcane Archer, should any of you be interested.
Who (21:07:42)(Friday)(2018)
I thought dugeonscape ACFs were legal
FakeGod (21:14:04)(Friday)(2018)
nah, only one that I wanted was the penetrating strike, but now rogues can SA whatever they want so it's unnecessary
FakeGod (22:37:13)(Friday)(2018)
I meant undeads and constructs can be SA'd
FakeGod (22:37:22)(Friday)(2018)
your crit immunity still gives you SA immunity
Who said that?
Or is it?
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #803 (ISO) » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:47 pm

Post by FakeGod »

Campaign 8: Newhaven

Fairer Isles is a series of small islands located near each other and the mainland, with ample space and harbors for ships. It was originally home to herds of wild cows, which the first human settlers domesticated as cattle. Rise of orc warbands to the north saw increase of monstrous humanoid population, such as gnolls and goblins, in the Isles. The warbands were defeated and scattered about 50 years ago, but the increased monstrous humanoid presence is still felt.

The port city, the city of Newhaven, was erected in the Isles hundred years ago to sell the large number of smoked meat and tanned hides. The population steadily grew over the decades as more and more people came to work on the cattle industry. However, the population boomed when a rumor of sunken mermaid treasure spread, bringing a lot of prospectors to the region about ten years ago. The rumors proved false, and the disgruntled fortune seekers eventually turned to plundering to make their living. The local authorities seemed unwilling to engage ruffians, possibly due to being vastly outnumbered.

Now, Newhaven is a less than a reputable name. The seedy section of the port has expanded, and is comprised of pirates, raiders, and mercenaries who pillage the nearby regions, coastal or inland, for goods and slaves. Laws prohibit slavery of humans, but authorities do not enforce the law, and non-humans are not spoken for. Monstrous humanoids such as goblins, gnolls, and ogres are often captured for slavery, but some mercenaries have even gone as far as enslaving humans, and kidnapping elves from the nearby elf-town, Cinderfell. Dishonest merchants make it a habit of buying stolen items without asking questions, and add to the chaos by selling highly addictive drug known as Argin Dust. Mayor of the town and his council seem reluctant to curve the rampant lawlessness. Some say that he is just a powerless puppet, and that the real power lies with the mysterious group known as the Five Fingers...
My favorite site mod is Zor Tester.
I have Brandi's autograph! I bet you're jealous.
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #804 (ISO) » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:04 pm

Post by Ether »

This is a reminder that scrolls of CLW are 25gp a pop, and with very little earlygame healing, we probably all want to buy at least one.

At L2 it gets a biiiiiiiit better, since I have 3/day CLW then, and also two of us can use scrolls at that point. But the low healing in this party is going to make things tight.
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #805 (ISO) » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:17 pm

Post by GuyInFreezer »

Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #806 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:29 pm

Post by Ether »

Here's what I've got. It's independent of other characters, but feel free to talk and coordinate backstories etc etc:

Beryl turned to religion as an adult, after her daughter was killed in a hostage situation. (She and the father had broken up amicably years earlier.) She wasn't a Heironean at this point, she worshipped a more obscure LG deity.
(I am really not up on my D&D gods and don't have a good pick for who.)
She was very love and forgiveness and saw the best in a lot of shady people, that part's all still true.

I want to say that Beryl and her church eventually got involved in harboring an aasimar revolutionary claiming to be a prophet. She was still lured into a trap through her trusting nature. The information she gave up (charms were used, but charms alone wouldn't be enough) was used to dismantle her old church and capture and/or execute the aasimar. Beryl herself wasn't really a threat, she was a traumatized love-and-mercy hippy, so she got discreetly sold into slavery instead. (This probably didn't happen in Newhaven, but she was either sold in Newhaven or taken there. Being a fugitive from the local government would be a mess for the whole party; being a runaway human slave in a city where the law says you can't own humans isn't too bad, necessarily.)

She escaped. She escaped mostly through sheer being-super-pissed-off. She is still super pissed off. I think this was a bit less than a year ago, and now she's back. (She probably wouldn't want to be back here without other adventurers watching her, though.)

Here is my sheet! The build at L9 is here. No art yet.
As I move my vote
LOUDER
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #807 (ISO) » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:37 am

Post by GuyInFreezer »

To make things not hidden and stuff, I am considering switching to artificer.
Here are the pros and cons.

Pro

1. Melees are better equipped (You've seen properly funded Lilian in that kerberos fight)
2. Means of revival kicks in early (at L7)
3. Slightly more spell-support and UMD.

Con

1. Firepower goes down a little bit.
2. It is
ME
who's playing an artificer.
3. I won't be as effective in combat.

What do you think?
Should I keep being melee or switch to artificer?
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
~fferyllt

WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #808 (ISO) » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:51 am

Post by Who »

Pro
4. Homunculi

Con
4. No warforged friends so artificer is less effective than it otherwise would be
Who said that?
Or is it?
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #809 (ISO) » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:10 pm

Post by Ether »

So I can't really compare Brackendeep to past campaigns or talk about the difficulty, and the people who actually played this are gonna know what they're talking about more. But here we go!

I thought Day 2 was pretty great. The format of a bunch of connected minibosses who were each doing their own thing was a fun setup.
Although knowing how Day 3 goes, I'm wondering if it would really have even mattered if they'd survived.
I liked all of the sideplots going on all the time, all the things to do. In retrospect I feel kind of weird about how all of that was crammed into one day and that was effectively the
only
day, but...yeah.

The Raphmiel arc felt really anticlimactic--maybe it was just because of how things played out, but her story and the party's story just didn't seem to intersect at all. She teleported in, she teleported out, arc over. Day 3 in general felt really rushed and disjointed, buuuuuuut that is probably because the party jumped into the boss fight first thing? (When Trinity killed the homunculus, I thought that meant she'd try to ambush the party after the fight alongside her monster after all the other fights down there were done...)

What was Pastel's deal? Were the modern Knights of Dust tied to Dagon? What affected whether Dagon got his hands on Allea if Besari/the vampires/that one changeling ever successfully caught her? Did all the NPCs at the restaurant do anything?

I kind of wish there had been more ties between earlier acts and Brackendeep. Even Caligri's amulet didn't really come up, and I'm not totally clear how it would have...and I guess it makes
sense
that nobody on the surface ever showed up in the City of Monsters, but it'd still have been cool--I'm looking forward to a campaign that takes place around the same region.
As I move my vote
LOUDER
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #810 (ISO) » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:04 am

Post by FakeGod »

Act 1 cutscenes

PCs, in their routine checks throughout the inland towns, arrive in the town of Brenida Steppes, near the Kairyn Bog. The only inn in this small town is the Burning Hatchet, and the weary and tired PCs make their stop for the night...
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #811 (ISO) » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:52 pm

Post by GuyInFreezer »

Show
~fferyllt

WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
MariaR
MariaR
Alternatively,
MariaR
Alternatively,
Alternatively,

Post Post #812 (ISO) » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:59 pm

Post by MariaR »

I bet Maria is scum this game
~Firebringer
Na Maria isn't towny enough to be scum this game~
Charloux

MariaR goes for the uwu owo tsundere-dere look but you never know if she has a knife behind her back.~
Bitmap
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #813 (ISO) » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:02 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #814 (ISO) » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:40 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1503071

Say hello to greasy oswald (still finishing up some things like extra languages and money, don't be alarmed)
Katyusha
Katyusha
Mafia Scum
Katyusha
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #815 (ISO) » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:12 am

Post by Katyusha »

how are you guys getting mythweavers to work? it's been down for me for a while :(
eddie cane
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #816 (ISO) » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:13 am

Post by Dunnstral »

The site works fine for me right now, but there's a notice about a recent rollback
Katyusha
Katyusha
Mafia Scum
Katyusha
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #817 (ISO) » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:17 am

Post by Katyusha »

In post 816, Dunnstral wrote:The site works fine for me right now, but there's a notice about a recent rollback
ah, the notice points out that clearing your cache helps which explains it. that worked for me

have fun with the new campaign guys! :)
eddie cane
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #818 (ISO) » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:13 pm

Post by Who »

Who said that?
Or is it?
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #819 (ISO) » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:00 am

Post by GuyInFreezer »

This is a reminder that you should buy a potion of CLW if you have any to spare. (You do.)
Show
~fferyllt

WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #820 (ISO) » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:54 pm

Post by FakeGod »

The link to the new campaign is up in the OP.

Please ready your macros.
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #821 (ISO) » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:49 am

Post by GuyInFreezer »

Well that was some session.

I say we just restart combat.

1. While we could've done better, it was purely bad RNG that screwed us over. And so far, any of the discussed plans can be screwed over with bad RNG.
(He went over 3 hits with about 80~90% chance of hitting. We only had to hit once. We rolled 1,2,1)

2. It probably doesn't make sense for many characters to just let that bastard grab Vix.

Any objections for combat restart? Full restart is meh considering that solving mystery that we already know the answer of is not fun and I don't feel like working on a character again.
Show
~fferyllt

WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #822 (ISO) » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:28 pm

Post by GuyInFreezer »

Also, I'll be a bit late this time. About 10~15 min.
Show
~fferyllt

WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #823 (ISO) » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:01 am

Post by Ether »

Notes to self:

-Scoulis's AC is probably like 17 or 18. Don't go nonlethal; if we want him alive, we do it by stabilizing him with a Cure Minor Wounds.
-He already got out of jail once, though. If we don't finish the job, he might come back.
-Daze might be a better anti-Scoulis spell, since its range is safer and there's no friendly fire. Grease isn't ideal because his reflex saves are good.

-Keep the casseroles exactly where they were before the fight broke out. Prepare some Detect Poisons tomorrow--I think some of us ate it and didn't get poisoned, implying that the hit was specifically on Fleur? (With Bartholomew taking the bullet because he ate everything and Fleur was just picking out the crab.)
-That implies that Scoulis just wanted us out of the way, but he (and his employer?) actively wanted Fleur dead.
-As a changeling, Vix can take on different identities while she's doing charm interrogations, she doesn't have to be one of the adventurers who just kicked our prisoner's ass. This is really squeamish for Beryl, but
really
useful for us. (And in this case, Beryl hates Scoulis enough that her main objection would be that he's not dead yet.)
As I move my vote
LOUDER
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #824 (ISO) » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:45 pm

Post by Ether »

Tobias has a scar on his right eye.

I am not saying that Tobias is scum. But I am saying that a future where Scoulis survives is a future where Scoulis is 100% guaranteed to break out and impersonate him.

So this is an awkward position! Aparently Tobias REALLY wants Scoulis alive to a degree I didn't realize before, and wouldn't knowingly have recruited Beryl to kill him? I can solve the Beryl recruitment problem by saying that Solace talked her down, but now I'm convinced out of character that his execution would solve a lot of problems and save a lot of lives down the road. A Beryl who's 100% determined to kill him would have been really helpful.

Less important, but Scoulis might have taken his innkeeper identity not because it was a convenient guy with a scar, but because he knew the route Fleur and Bartholomew were taking and had deliberately taken over the inn to intercept them.
As I move my vote
LOUDER

Return to “The Arcade”