Nintendo Switch hype thread

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:08 pm

Post by Davsto »

In post 97, Zachrulez wrote:
In post 94, Davsto wrote:
In post 92, chamber wrote:
In post 89, Glork wrote:Third party support for consoles is really useful when you're, say, taking care of a 10 month old baby.
Sorry if it seemed like I was challenging your ability to dislike the system. You can dislike it for whatever reasons you want. Mine situation isn't your situation.
Pretty much. The thing about a lot of the Switch issues is that they are rather situational - this isn't to discredit the views of those affected by the issues (they're still issues), but it doesn't affect me so I'm still going to buy one - for example, the online thing is something I couldn't care less about because I don't think I've ever (besides Kid Icarus Uprising) played a Nintendo game's online multiplayer.
Well I mean beyond the online issues there's the issue of it only have 32gb storage (I still don't understand that decision.) and costing $299 without a game.

If it gets a decent xenoblade bundle, that's probably how I'm going to end up getting it.
Storage space - I buy all my games as physical copies so that doesn't affect me. It's the same storage as the Wii U and that was never a problem (also with Nintendo consoles you can always just use an SD card to add extra space and you can get them fairly cheap so it's not a huge issue either way). Again, I'm not saying it isn't a legitimate issue, but it will not affect me, so I'm still getting the console for sure.

As for the price, isn't $299 actually very cheap for a brand new console with controller? It's $100 cheaper than the PS4 and controller at launch, and $200 cheaper than the Xbox One, controller and Kinect at launch. The console price is actually really good (the game and extra controller prices however are less so).
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:47 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

PS4/XB1 at launch both had more launch titles, more third party support, more entertainment apps, more storage space, and better graphics.

This makes two Nintendo console cycles within the same generation that aren't as powerful as the other consoles in the current generation.
green shirt thursdays
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:34 am

Post by hiplop »

idc about power at all tbh. I don't think that is the concern

the concern is that third parties have officially given the middle finger to nintendo. They simply don't trust nintendo anymore
third best scummer of all time
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:47 am

Post by Davsto »

Tbh if you're buying consoles for launch titles, graphics, and entertainment apps, you may as well just upgrade your PC since it can do all that and more

Also as much as Nintendo consoles have technically worse graphics, Nintendo first party games' art design and ability to use their consoles limited capabilities is absolutely fantastic - Mario Kart 8 was one of the best looking games of the generation in my opinion (and ran at 720p/60fps which isn't bad for a console), and SSB4 looked pretty great and ran at 1080p/60fps which most console games could barely dream of.

I'll admit, I'm basically only buying the Switch for the exclusives, and that's what I did with the Wii U, but from my view I don't really see home consoles as having any significant appeal beyond that (though handhelds are a different kettle of fish entirely).
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:22 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 100, Davsto wrote:
In post 97, Zachrulez wrote:
In post 94, Davsto wrote:
In post 92, chamber wrote:
In post 89, Glork wrote:Third party support for consoles is really useful when you're, say, taking care of a 10 month old baby.
Sorry if it seemed like I was challenging your ability to dislike the system. You can dislike it for whatever reasons you want. Mine situation isn't your situation.
Pretty much. The thing about a lot of the Switch issues is that they are rather situational - this isn't to discredit the views of those affected by the issues (they're still issues), but it doesn't affect me so I'm still going to buy one - for example, the online thing is something I couldn't care less about because I don't think I've ever (besides Kid Icarus Uprising) played a Nintendo game's online multiplayer.
Well I mean beyond the online issues there's the issue of it only have 32gb storage (I still don't understand that decision.) and costing $299 without a game.

If it gets a decent xenoblade bundle, that's probably how I'm going to end up getting it.
Storage space - I buy all my games as physical copies so that doesn't affect me. It's the same storage as the Wii U and that was never a problem (also with Nintendo consoles you can always just use an SD card to add extra space and you can get them fairly cheap so it's not a huge issue either way). Again, I'm not saying it isn't a legitimate issue, but it will not affect me, so I'm still getting the console for sure.

As for the price, isn't $299 actually very cheap for a brand new console with controller? It's $100 cheaper than the PS4 and controller at launch, and $200 cheaper than the Xbox One, controller and Kinect at launch. The console price is actually really good (the game and extra controller prices however are less so).
Comparing the launch price to the PS4 and Xbox One's launch price is completely irrelevant because it's not entering the marketplace in 2013 alongside the PS4 and Xbox One, it's entering it in 2017. At launch in 2017 it will be more expensive than a base PS4 and Xbox One and won't match it in power.
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:19 pm

Post by hiplop »

In post 103, Davsto wrote:Tbh if you're buying consoles for launch titles, graphics, and entertainment apps, you may as well just upgrade your PC since it can do all that and more

Also as much as Nintendo consoles have technically worse graphics, Nintendo first party games' art design and ability to use their consoles limited capabilities is absolutely fantastic - Mario Kart 8 was one of the best looking games of the generation in my opinion (and ran at 720p/60fps which isn't bad for a console), and SSB4 looked pretty great and ran at 1080p/60fps which most console games could barely dream of.

I'll admit, I'm basically only buying the Switch for the exclusives, and that's what I did with the Wii U, but from my view I don't really see home consoles as having any significant appeal beyond that (though handhelds are a different kettle of fish entirely).
Okay...

But their first party offerings dont even seem strong?
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:28 pm

Post by Davsto »

And that's why you don't mindlessly buy the console at launch but wait until there are games which you really want the console for lol

I mean Mario Odessey looks great (though not a launch title), as does Zelda but hey that's opinions, isn't it spooky how those work?
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:32 pm

Post by hiplop »

Mario Zelda and seemingly a big middle finger is what is on the horizon

Davsto. You need to understand that like this first phase means a lot. Wii U died about 3 months in and everyone knew it. If this thing doesn't get traction relatively quickly, it very likely will die and get neglected just like Wii U.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:52 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

It's possible if this fails it's Nintendo's last console too. I'm not sure how much money they still have, but they can't take red ink forever.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:35 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

I think this will be the last home console anyway
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:35 am

Post by hiplop »

Doubt it
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:34 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 107, hiplop wrote:Mario Zelda and seemingly a big middle finger is what is on the horizon

Davsto. You need to understand that like this first phase means a lot. Wii U died about 3 months in and everyone knew it. If this thing doesn't get traction relatively quickly, it very likely will die and get neglected just like Wii U.
It's not a holiday launch window. Expecting a holiday launch window amount of titles is silly. Compare it to the 3ds's starting library (which also launched in march). I think the 3ds's was considerably worse.
Taking a break from the site.
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:01 am

Post by hiplop »

3DS launched with far more games? Also had the added bonus of a ton of new DS games coming out around that point?
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:31 am

Post by Davsto »

3DS launch lineup was genuinely awful actually

https://techcrunch.com/2011/02/22/here- ... ch-titles/
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:46 am

Post by chamber »

I had a 3ds at launch. I remember.
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:23 pm

Post by hiplop »

In post 113, Davsto wrote:3DS launch lineup was genuinely awful actually

https://techcrunch.com/2011/02/22/here- ... ch-titles/
18 > 5
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:36 am

Post by Davsto »

quality not quantity etc etc
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:25 am

Post by Papa Zito »

Glad my kids are getting old enough to transition to the Playstation.
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Human Sequencer
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: all

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:25 am

Post by Human Sequencer »

just popping in to say that splatoon 2 for 360$ seems like a great deal tbh
i enjoyed my time on the wii u and got a lot of use out of it, my ps3 is gathering dust since i built my pc and ps4/xbone also pales in comparison
i'm not a graphicsfag or anything (i liked the wii u and am buying a switch lmao), i just don't see the point

i really hope the switch takes off, as great as a lot of these games look without a solid base the console will just fall apart
we need more good games, that's all
nah
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:27 am

Post by hiplop »

its fucking 399 here are you serious
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:42 am

Post by Papa Zito »

xd
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Spiffeh
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Paragone

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:48 pm

Post by Spiffeh »

lol Canada
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:51 pm

Post by Not_Mafia »

At least you're not in Australia
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:40 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 119, hiplop wrote:its fucking 399 here are you serious
Given the conversion rate what were you expecting?
Human Sequencer
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: all

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:12 am

Post by Human Sequencer »