Shadowrun Campaign

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Shadowrun Campaign

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:08 pm

Post by DiamondSentinel »

This is just a little thread to see who all would be interested in a Shadowrun campaign.

For those wondering, we currently have 2 people (although most of the time only one will be playing), and both characters are more fit for diplomacy/larceny/etc missions. The general stealth stuff. Less for combat oriented missions. I dunno if you'd take that into account when making your characters.

We're looking for ~3 more people, and would run from 7EST until midnight at the latest on Saturdays.

Here is Chummer for character gen. It's an automated program, but you still do need the SRDs for that, which, if you send me a PM with your email, I can send you the link for the google doc with them. Last time I made a public link for my copies of some books, Wizards took it down for copyright. I know one of the devs for Shadowrun, so it shouldn't be a problem with me sharing it, but just to be safe.

Spoiler: Book List
Note: These are just all the books I have access to. In all honesty, I haven't read all of them, so I don't know which ones are just world-building and which ones also have character creation stuff in them. Certain books are mainly fiction, but have some stuff at the end. These are worth reading for the lore and understanding of the world, but the new mechanics are allowed. These are marked by an asterisk (*).
  • Assassin's Primer
  • Bloody Business*
  • Bullets & Bandages
  • Chrome Flesh
  • Data Trails
  • Gun H(e)aven 3
  • Hard Targets
  • Hollowing Shadows
  • Nothing Personal*
  • Rigger 5.0
  • Run & Gun (Including Errata)
  • Run Faster
  • Sail Away, Sweet Sister*
  • Shadow Spells
  • SRD 5 (Including Errata)
  • Stolen Souls
  • Street Grimoire (Including Errata)

Now, that list is super long, and not all are applicable to all builds. Chummer makes it super easy to determine which ones are applicable, but if you just want to look at them, to divide them up into categories:

Spoiler: Categories
Magic:
  • Howling Shadows (Has some stuff you can use for mentor spirits and similar)
  • Shadow Spells
  • Stolen Souls
  • Street Grimoire (top pick for spells)
Guns/Weapons:
  • Assassin's Primer
  • Bullets & Bandages
  • Chrome Flesh
  • Run & Gun
  • Gun Heaven 3
  • Hard Targets
  • Run Faster
Drones/Vehicles:
  • Rigger 5 (amazing book for this)
  • Run & Gun
These aren't comprehensive lists. I don't remember all the books entirely. My biggest suggestion would just be to look at the reference in Chummer and then look around there.

I also just realized some books have 5E and 20th Anniversary Edition numbers. Only use the 5E numbers for your equipment.

We are using the 800 karma buy system (which makes things super hard to use if you don't use Chummer), and maximum availability is 12 at chargen. This also happens to be the default settings for new character creation in Chummer (thus the recommendation). You can also spend up to 200 karma on Nuyen, which adds up to 400,000 Nuyen. Trust me. This is more than enough. I had a hard time using this much on my "throw money at the problem" Rigger. Additionally, don't spend karma on knowledge skills during character creation. A house rule allots a certain amount of points when you bring it over to Career Mode (essentially post-character creation, ready for play phase). This will be handled during the first session.

Anyways, you can take no karma with you out of chargen, and up to 5k Nuyen. So don't worry about saving up for anything!

Characters:

PlayerCharacter NameCharacter ArchetypeStatus
DiamondSentinelArlanhe Darkweaver (Alias: Umbria)Elf Mystic Face AdeptAlive
NinjaLayorAlexis Ki (Alias: Per)Human Changeling PoisonerAlive
Sudo_NymJeff Michaels (Alias: Mace)Human DeckerAlive
TitusMystrivet Clank (Alias: Munchkin)Dwarf Combat MageAlive
GarmrDanteHuman Combat AdeptAlive
ProHawkTiny TimHuman Street SamuraiAlive
Last edited by DiamondSentinel on Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:19 am, edited 13 times in total.
“Why was I chosen?'
'Such questions cannot be answered,' said Gandalf. 'You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess. But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.”
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:43 am

Post by Glork »

Tentatively interested. If timing turns out to be an issue for me obviously that can't happen but I am conceivably interested.

What platform will you be using to play?
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:28 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Also tentatively interested, though it's been years since I've played Shadowrun.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:32 am

In post 1, Glork wrote:Tentatively interested. If timing turns out to be an issue for me obviously that can't happen but I am conceivably interested.

What platform will you be using to play?
Well, right now, we're doing Roll20, but it's a bit clunky for Shadowrun, as it was built for games based around D20s. So, we're looking for a different platform.

Oh, and the maps won't be as beautiful as Fakegod's for his DnD campaign. I don't have that sort of time. I'm a college student. :lol:

Basically, the maps will be more or less blueprints of the locations of the missions, but with some parts of the map hidden initially. It'll take some exploration to find these parts. I want the runs to feel sort of like Dishonored, with a lot of different routes to complete each mission.
Last edited by DiamondSentinel on Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Why was I chosen?'
'Such questions cannot be answered,' said Gandalf. 'You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess. But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.”
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:36 am

Additionally, we'll probably use Discord to do most of the narration and character interactions. I personally find Roll20's voice a bit clunky, and text-based chat unwieldy for planning out runs.
“Why was I chosen?'
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:34 am

Post by Glork »

Roll20 w/Discord for voice is the most sensible thing IMO.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:52 am

Ok. You don't know of any better site to use for that?

That's cool. This is the first time I've played Shadowrun online (Our old group recently broke up), so I didn't know if there were better tabletop sites for Shadowrun.
“Why was I chosen?'
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:17 pm

Post by Glork »

Well I haven't played Shadowrun since like 2004, but I just think Roll20 generally provides a solid user experience (except for voice/webcam stuff)
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:41 pm

Haha, back to the good ol' days of tabletop.
“Why was I chosen?'
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:23 pm

Post by Klazam »

/in if voice not involved
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:44 am

Well, it's involved, but it won't be required. It just might be a bit difficult for you to be as involved as the other players.
“Why was I chosen?'
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:12 am

Post by Glork »

After some reflection, I think I have to be /out because of timing, unless I find a job soon that doesn't require me to be at work by 5am Sunday mornings. :/
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:41 am

Oh yeah, I completely understand your pain there.

To all interested, I'm updating the OP with some general information and links to use.

I request that you use Chummer to make your characters, as that's what I use, so I can pull it up easily. Also, it's super easy to use. Just make sure to not put any illegal settings in there (try to use more power points than you have, etc.) The errors will cause it to crash. Also, save often.
“Why was I chosen?'
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:45 am

Post by Randomnamechange »

/in if this is on
vonflare (21:40)
you suck randomidget
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:47 am

Post by Randomnamechange »

Actually nvm I forgot timezones cant do that sry
vonflare (21:40)
you suck randomidget
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:40 pm

Man, getting up my hopes for nothing...

What times would work for you? I might be able to look into it a bit
“Why was I chosen?'
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:20 am

Post by Titus »

I'm in. It looks like my prior Saturday group is collapsing so... :)

I love Shadowrun.

Are we using roll20? If so, I may recruit who is left over from my Saturday crew.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:02 am

Hey! I actually considered asking you directly, but I figured you were already busy with the one you tried to recruit me into.

Anyways, yep. Roll20, with Discord voice chat (not mandatory, just more useful).

How many would you bring, Titus?
“Why was I chosen?'
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:24 pm

Post by Titus »

In post 17, DiamondSentinel wrote:Hey! I actually considered asking you directly, but I figured you were already busy with the one you tried to recruit me into.

Anyways, yep. Roll20, with Discord voice chat (not mandatory, just more useful).

3 maximum.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:34 pm

In post 18, Titus wrote:
In post 17, DiamondSentinel wrote:Hey! I actually considered asking you directly, but I figured you were already busy with the one you tried to recruit me into.

3 maximum.
Ok. We'll see where this goes before any super serious stuff goes down. Updating the OP with the booklist.
“Why was I chosen?'
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:42 am

Post by Titus »

OK, whoever wants what archetype (class), please post here. I will play any archetype and it will help me get my DnD group up to speed.
Show

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:43 am

Post by Titus »

That is if they want in... I will let you know asap.
Show

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:58 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I don't have any strong opinions on archetype; I was going to look into playing a Decker/Rigger, but I'd be happy playing a Street Sam. It's been a while since I last played, so I'm trying to get all caught up on the new stuff and supplements, so I'll have to get back to you on an actual build.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:18 am

We have a Face/Sneaky Spell Support (chaos world, etc.), and Bioware Street Sam-esque character already, but for the most part, they won't be playing at the same time, so you can go ahead and go with whatever you feel like doing, and we can work it through.
“Why was I chosen?'
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:14 am

OP is completely updated for the information.
“Why was I chosen?'

Return to “The Arcade”