Mafiascum pool league on pogo.com?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Mafiascum pool league on pogo.com?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:18 pm

Post by Kmd4390 »

Just curious if there'd be enough interest to do this?

First of all, it won't happen until I have a computer (spring or summer maybe) or someone else starts it.

But, I used to play this game all the time back before I found mafiascum. I'd like to go back to it, but it looks like my old leagues are pretty much dead which isn't really a surprise considering how much time has passed. Then I though "hmm, where do I know of a large group of people who uses the internet" and obviously mafiascum is what I thought of.

How a league on pogo works:
-it's usually set up on myleague.com.

-myleague uses a ranking system called the ladder system. if you beat someone who is ranked higher than you, you gain half of the spots between you. The goal is to be ranked #1. The only way to pass someone by playing them is to be ranked directly below them and beat them. So to become #1, you have to get to #2 and then beat whoever is #1. When you are #1, you can only lose it by losing to #1. There are a few things in place to discourage #1s from simply avoid playing against #2s which I'll go into eventually if needed, but it's not that important now.

-most league play is done tournament style. Now, it's been years since I played, but all tournaments when I played were either single elimination, double elimination, or swiss. The first two are self explanatory. Swiss is just a predetermined amount of rounds and whoever wins the most wins the tournament.

-tournaments are run by TDs (tournament directors) who are chosen by higher positions through an application process. On mafiascum, pretty much anyone with a decent track record mods, so we'd probably do the same with TDs. The TD does not play in their own tournament, but can play in others just like modding mafia games here.

-other positions in a league are the head admin (I'd do this myself), admins, and head tds in that order with td falling just below head td. The difference is just more work basically. Things like bans (doubt we'd do much of this), giving td privelidges, and rule decisions.

-all tournaments require at least four players to start

-in addition to tournaments, you can play a "ladder match" which is a single game and the result is reported directly on the league page by the players.

Um. Yeah, that's pretty much the basics. My only questions are basically if there is enough interest to actually do this and if we have an actual league thread (this one probably would be fine), would it belong here or in mish mash?

If anyone has questions, I'll do my best to answer them.
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:00 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

So...

No?
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:08 am

Post by KuroiXHF »

I just saw this. I'd be interested.
"and now i am TURNED ON AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!" - KainTepes

I'm regularly V/LA on the weekends. If this is the weekend and I've not said otherwise, please assume I'm on V/LA.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:03 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

I'm down
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:38 pm

Post by tn5421 »

I suppose it could be interesting, but so far doesn't seem to have a lot of support.

tn5421 @ pogo, very possibly one of my longest-held accounts.

Edit: Has pogo REALLY not done a game upgrade in the 20+ years they've been operating?
WIP
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:37 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

If you're talking specifically pool, they went from hammerhead pool with the blue tables to the current high stakes pool in roughly 2005ish.

Return to “The Arcade”