Scummer D&D for newbies!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #725 (ISO) » Wed May 17, 2017 7:09 pm

Post by Andrius »

In post 724, Postie wrote:I did mention to you guys just after the troll fight ended that Achan had grown distant from the rest of the party and valued saving Allea above all else.
I do remember this.
But if Achan's "growing distant from the rest of the party" why is he with us to begin with? Do you intend to do anything to "fix" his distance or is that all on us to try and engage with him? Because most of our attempts so far haven't gone well to get to know him. I get that he's supposed to be a douchebag type, but if he's not a team player then why is he here?

I just want to understand what our expectations are and what our characters are doing so I don't have to lose another PC because half the party left the other half out to dry.

With that being said, what do you intend his character to be? Because if we KNOW he's more of the scouting type or only fights when he's comfortable we have an advantage (when does this ever happen) then we need to know. And if that means asking you [Postie] what Achan is doing because talking to Achan directly results in a run-around of sorts then so be it.

My bottom line is I don't want to lose another character because we're unclear of the expectations we have of other players/PCs in the party. We're a party. The players need to understand each other and the PCs need to act like a party as well or this will
continue
to go poorly.
In post 724, Postie wrote:Achan also specifically said that he wanted to leave at the first sign of trouble.
I also remember this. But I don't think it ever came up again.
When we talked out the fight in Skype and in chat ('we're staying and fighting', 'get in the alley', 'move into the building') I can't recall any discussion about 'hey we should leave' or Achan going "Guys we should run".
So when he just took off it was like "well ok then".
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Postie
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: Any/all

Post Post #726 (ISO) » Wed May 17, 2017 7:31 pm

Post by Postie »

In post 725, Andrius wrote:But if Achan's "growing distant from the rest of the party" why is he with us to begin with? Do you intend to do anything to "fix" his distance or is that all on us to try and engage with him? Because most of our attempts so far haven't gone well to get to know him. I get that he's supposed to be a douchebag type, but if he's not a team player then why is he here?
Yeah, I definitely wasn't planning on this lasting beyond this mission. It just felt really unnatural for him to witness a shitton of people dying and then for him to just get on with things as if nothing happened.
In post 725, Andrius wrote:With that being said, what do you intend his character to be? Because if we KNOW he's more of the scouting type or only fights when he's comfortable we have an advantage (when does this ever happen) then we need to know. And if that means asking you [Postie] what Achan is doing because talking to Achan directly results in a run-around of sorts then so be it.
I'll think about this. "Scouting type" could be one way of putting it, but I'm not sure how to describe his character beyond that right now.
In post 725, Andrius wrote:
In post 724, Postie wrote:Achan also specifically said that he wanted to leave at the first sign of trouble.
I also remember this. But I don't think it ever came up again.
When we talked out the fight in Skype and in chat ('we're staying and fighting', 'get in the alley', 'move into the building') I can't recall any discussion about 'hey we should leave' or Achan going "Guys we should run".
I don't feel like digging through the chat log thing right this moment but words to the effect of "hey we should leave" were definitely said more than once.
Discourse is fleeting, but junk mail is forever.
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #727 (ISO) » Wed May 17, 2017 7:41 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

Word around the street is that if we sunder an object there will magically be replacement loot
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #728 (ISO) » Wed May 17, 2017 7:41 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

In post 726, Postie wrote:I'll think about this. "Scouting type" could be one way of putting it, but I'm not sure how to describe his character beyond that right now.
As edgy as his daggers
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #729 (ISO) » Fri May 19, 2017 5:34 pm

Post by Andrius »

Sedgar of House Fayre

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1202522

I mean if people scream for a Wizard or something I can be flexible, but I found the fire again and I think I'm rolling with this for now.
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #730 (ISO) » Sun May 21, 2017 3:41 pm

Post by Ether »

black onyx gem
blue gem (sapphire--I think it's worth 1500?)
three yellow polished gems (mediocre appraise check said 100 gp, but doublecheck this)

I am not really sure what these are worth; we should look it up in Raintree.

1090gp
350 - masterwork breastplate
305 - masterwork light mace (or we could let Raia hold it for DR-breaking)
2315gp - +1 longsword

Total: 4060
(Half: 2575--the 1090 is why this isn't actually half)

650g
155 - MWK Padded Armor
153 - MWK Light Wooden Shield
4250 - +1 Shadow Chain Shirt (+5 to hide)
308 - MWK Light Flail
335 - MWK Bastard Sword
322 - MWK Silver Dagger (possible DR-breaker again)
10800 - Ring of Animal Friendship
150 - Elixir of Love
375 - Scroll of Deep Slumber (Fiona or Rose could use it, but it's shit)

Total: 17498
(Half: 9074)

So...that's 21558 in loot, or 11649 if we sell it all at half price, not counting the jewels or Erwin's stuff or the money from selling the mithril to Bao. (Generally with Fiona's diplomacy we can do .) I'm not gonna divide this up yet, we'll deal with that in Raintree, but there's a ballpark estimate.

Scrolls:
Scroll of Magic Weapon (Raia--for DR/magic)
Scroll of Cat's Grace (Hellion or Fiona--3 minute dex boost)
Scroll of Heroism (Fiona; this is a 50 minute buff; we could also maybe cut a deal with a wizard to make some more for us in exchange for time alone with it)
Scroll of Cure Minor Wounds (Raia or Hellion, or we can just sell it for 6.25gp and go out to lunch)
Scroll of Longstrider (Hellion--one hour of +10-foot movement; self or animal companion only)
Scroll of Bear's Endurance (Raia, Hellion or Fiona--3 minute con boost)

I am not sure if we keep these or sell them:
2700 - Wand of Web, 30 charges (This is an awesome spell, or it would be if only we could
use
it. We could give it to Fiona, get her some UMD buffs and let her try? It'd probably work about half the time. It's only DC 13, though, since it's a wand.)
150 - Scroll of Spectral Hand (None of us can use this, which is a shame; it's a good spell. If you hold onto it for my backup wizard, she'll like you better. Wizards like it when you give them scrolls.)

Keep these:
+1 Shock Greataxe
Horn of Goodness
Wand of Fox's Cunning, 19 Charges (awkward...boosts my DCs, but only Fiona can use it. It's 1710gp, it could possibly save our lives in a boss fight, it's probably worth it to just hang onto it.)
2000gp - ring of protection

Some of this (including Erwin's 1402.57 gp) should just retroactively wind up in Sedgar's hands. Even though it is strategically advantageous to buy his full plate for him, it is also kind of silly.
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #731 (ISO) » Sun May 21, 2017 5:12 pm

Post by FakeGod »

Sedgar has been entered into the roll20 campaign.

OP has been updated.
My favorite site mod is Zor Tester.
I have Brandi's autograph! I bet you're jealous.
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #732 (ISO) » Mon May 22, 2017 5:04 pm

Post by FakeGod »

No D&D this weekend. I will be flying around all over the country for Memorial Day weekend.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #733 (ISO) » Tue May 23, 2017 6:35 am

Post by Andrius »

I can do the session at a different time this week, if we're going to continue this discussion from Skype.

Assuming no one wants all the MW Armor/Weapons, those should probably be sold.
I mean, the MW Light Mace would be good to have on someone as an alt damage type since IIRC both Sigma/Sedgar both are running slashing weapons.
I'd take the MW Bastard Sword but the non-MW Greatsword still out-damages it and I can just buy a MW Greatsword for ~300. The +1 to hit is nothing to laugh at though.

Ring of Deflection is just +1 AC so we should really just give that to someone who sees a lot of combat.
IIRC Sigma and Achan both have 19.
Fullplate Sedgar would have 18.
Everyone else is somewhere in the 14-16 range except Hellion's who's at 12 (?).
+1 Shadow Chain Shirt for Achan since he's the only one Hiding most of the time (?).

Unless Ether and I talk out a Cleric/Wizard I don't think I'll need much/anything from this besides cash.

I'll probably take Erwin's gloves since that's both a +1 Reflex and +1 DEX bonus to AC and I don't currently have a DEX bonus to AC so that'd help squeeze it out. We don't have anyone else with Finesse so no one needs it for damage since Achan already has a pair (?).
Last edited by Andrius on Tue May 23, 2017 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #734 (ISO) » Tue May 23, 2017 6:52 am

Post by Andrius »

Fiona has no DEX bonus to AC and is wearing the best armor in terms of AC from armor.
Hellion has no DEX bonus to AC and is wearing the best druid-friendly armor for AC.
+Which doesn't matter as much since he'll be wildshaping at L5 anyway.

Achan's CS isn't updated (???).
He has magic gloves which we know are DEX +2 which gives him another DEX to AC which puts his AC at TWENTY making him have the highest AC of the party currently.

Sigma has 19 AC but can't do new armor (?). So she'd need other items to enhance it like the Ring of Protection.
Rose is at 18 with Erwin's Gloves.
Sedgar is at 14 (18 with full plate). There's room to squeeze in a few extra points from other things.

As far as Erwin's loot is concerned:

+I'm taking his money. That's the simplest solution.
+Fiona can probably take his Mithril Chain Shirt since its slightly better than what she's wearing and no one else can benefit from it.
+Erwin has two Rapiers if anyone can use them and/or wants them. One of them is MW and the other is silver. And two daggers but those are outclassed in terms of damage so they're more utility.
+MW Thieves' Tools go to Achan. That's literally the only thing I care to give him since no one else can make use of it.
+DEX Gloves go to who ever can afford the DEX bonus in terms of armor and/or need the DEX bonus.
+Poison can go to anyone. If no one wants it Sedgar will hold it if only to prevent its usage until we can dispose of it because :paladinlife:.
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #735 (ISO) » Wed May 31, 2017 6:13 am

Post by Ether »

Sigma can't change her armor, but she can and should have it enchanted. It's 1000 gp for a +1 enhancement.

Achan can't use the shadow chain shirt. It's too heavy; gotta sell it.

This isn't a full shopping list, buuuuuut let's see how we roll on these:
  • Communal:
    Wand of Cure Light Wounds (we will buy seventy of these fucking wands, LESSON LEARNED. Or at least buy two and make Sigma buy a separate RLD wand.)
    +5 magical item of search

Rose:
    +1 mithril buckler (or a mithril buckler and a way to upgrade it)
    Headband of Intellect +2 (I doubt I'll have 4000gp to drop, but might as well find out if it's a possibility)
    a +1 upgrade to my chain shirt
    Cloak of Resistance +1

Stuff other people should get:
    Wand of Repair Light Damage (we don't have a wizard or a shaper, sooo UMD it is. Note that only one of us actually has UMD unless Achan takes it this level.)
    Gauntlets of Ogre Power +2 (4000gp, though)
    The difference between 300gp masterwork weapons and 2000gp magic weapons is +1 to damage and getting around some DR, but at least upgrade to masterwork if you haven't
    Probably more backup weapons
    Composite bows, because you never know
    +1 enhancements to armor, probably
    Cloaks of resistance
    Pearls of power for Hellion/Raia
    Probably some CMW potions (I am not sure if this is communal or not)
    Protection from Evil potions might also be a decent idea in a pinch
As I move my vote
LOUDER
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #736 (ISO) » Wed May 31, 2017 6:45 am

Post by FakeGod »

Communal:
Wand of Cure Light Wounds Y
Lens of Detection N

Rose:
+1 mithril buckler (or a mithril buckler and a way to upgrade it) N
Headband of Intellect +2 (I doubt I'll have 4000gp to drop, but might as well find out if it's a possibility) Y
a +1 upgrade to my chain shirt
Cloak of Resistance +1 Y

Stuff other people should get:
Wand of Repair Light Damage (we don't have a wizard or a shaper, sooo UMD it is. Note that only one of us actually has UMD unless Achan takes it this level.) N
Gauntlets of Ogre Power +2 (4000gp, though) Y
The difference between 300gp masterwork weapons and 2000gp magic weapons is +1 to damage and getting around some DR, but at least upgrade to masterwork if you haven't
Probably more backup weapons
Composite bows, because you never know
+1 enhancements to armor, probably
Cloaks of resistance N
Pearl of power 1st Y
Pearl of power 2nd Y
Probably some CMW potions (I am not sure if this is communal or not) N
Protection from Evil potions might also be a decent idea in a pinch N
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #737 (ISO) » Wed May 31, 2017 8:20 am

Post by Ether »

Hmm.

Firebringer! Could you craft us a +5 Custom Item of Search? It'll take 3 days, cost you 100XP, cost us 1250gp, and then we get better loot after dungeons and it pays for itself.
As I move my vote
LOUDER
gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #738 (ISO) » Wed May 31, 2017 8:22 am

Post by gigabyteTroubadour »

those gauntlets look pretty sick :o
i no longer strictly go by they/them and honestly prefer she/her but they/them's fine if you're used to it i guess

☭ I'm coming for that toothbrush ☭
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #739 (ISO) » Wed May 31, 2017 3:17 pm

Post by Ether »

It's time for some PARANOIA:
[18:34] FakeGod: oh man are you guys ready for midgame of D&D???
[18:34] Telephone Cat: Huh?
[18:35] Telephone Cat: FakeGod most of us are level 3. x_x
[18:35] FakeGod: lv 5 is where the first significant AOE abilities are finally out and dominate the meta
[18:35] Telephone Cat: I am not ready at all ugh ugh ugh.
[18:35] FakeGod: prepare for massed destruction
[18:35] FakeGod: fireball is actually REALLY GOOD at lv 5 and 6
[18:36] FakeGod: also melee builds that could kinda fake it at early game really start to fall behind around lv 5 and 6 when full BAB builds get their secondary attacks
[18:36] Telephone Cat: Ohhhhhh dear.
[18:37] FakeGod: Dunn pulled a neat trick of dipping cleric for some desperately needed self healing and applaud that
[18:37] FakeGod: but he threw away his midgame
[18:37] FakeGod: and 2 handed power attack scales to infinity
[18:39] Telephone Cat: He delayed his iteratives by one level, and Knowledge Devotion covers the attack loss, I think "throwing away his midgame" isn't really fair.
[18:40] Telephone Cat: Also again most of us are level 3, we aren't making level 6 for a loooooong time even if we somehow don't die.
[18:40] GuyInFreezer: Its also less PA damage though
[18:40] FakeGod: 1 BAB loss is like 6-9 total damage loss per turn
[18:41] Telephone Cat: Bah.
He talks about meta domination but I don't know anything about that. Sooooooo.

On the fireball front, even one minor ring of energy resistance is 12,000 gp. And that just covers one element. So, uh...try not to all cluster in together if we can help it while still protecting squishies, and close in on whoever's doing it or whoever its friends are so it won't want to blast them? And...I guess try to have a good reflex save and enough hitpoints to tank a 6d6.
As I move my vote
LOUDER
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #740 (ISO) » Wed May 31, 2017 8:30 pm

Post by FakeGod »

This week's session will be held 1.5 hrs later than the usual time.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #741 (ISO) » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:14 pm

Post by Andrius »

I won't make the session this Sunday.
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #742 (ISO) » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:44 am

Post by FakeGod »

Hey guys, I think this party dynamics would work out better if I switched out Ether with RadiantCowbells.

They said they would be okay with the switch, but I won't make the switch happen unless everyone from both parties give their consent.

The start of a new Act would be the best time for this kind of thing, which is why I would appreciate it if you guys could give me feedback quickly!
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #743 (ISO) » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:52 am

Post by FakeGod »

While I do believe the switch can work and possibly solve more party dynamic issues down the road, I understand that as a player, you may prefer to stick with the current party and work out any clashes should they arise.

If you prefer that this switch does not happen, then just let me know and I will not be implementing the switch.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #744 (ISO) » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:15 am

Post by Andrius »

Spoiler: Large Image

I've said my piece in the Skype chat.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #745 (ISO) » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:17 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 742, FakeGod wrote:Hey guys, I think this party dynamics would work out better if I switched out Ether with RadiantCowbells.

They said they would be okay with the switch, but I won't make the switch happen unless everyone from both parties give their consent.

The start of a new Act would be the best time for this kind of thing, which is why I would appreciate it if you guys could give me feedback quickly!
Ohhh ummm.

I am for this, not because I dislike Ether but I think Ether plays this for different reasons than us.
Like I appreciate all the knowledge of the game she brings to our group and what not but like yeah I don't think she would be happy continuing playing with people like me who don't really care about doing most optimal things?

It depends on what those two want.
I am fine with this!
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #746 (ISO) » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:57 pm

Post by gigabyteTroubadour »

i give it an OK too! :]

will miss ether though :(
i no longer strictly go by they/them and honestly prefer she/her but they/them's fine if you're used to it i guess

☭ I'm coming for that toothbrush ☭
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #747 (ISO) » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:51 pm

Post by Firebringer »

giga r u coming to next session?
cause it feels like u miss every single one.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #748 (ISO) » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:38 am

Post by Ether »

UPDATE: So, uh, it took an attempted ragequit to finally calm down. That's embarrassing. (But to just get it down on the forums, it looks like we're staying where we are.)
As I move my vote
LOUDER
MariaR
MariaR
Alternatively,
MariaR
Alternatively,
Alternatively,

Post Post #749 (ISO) » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:41 am

Post by MariaR »

In post 748, Ether wrote:UPDATE: So, uh, it took an attempted ragequit to finally calm down. That's embarrassing. (But to just get it down on the forums, it looks like we're staying where we are.)
^ ether be staying <3
I bet Maria is scum this game
~Firebringer
Na Maria isn't towny enough to be scum this game~
Charloux

MariaR goes for the uwu owo tsundere-dere look but you never know if she has a knife behind her back.~
Bitmap

Return to “The Arcade”