Working on a LAN based Web Server for Board Games

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games (board, card, video, we're not picky). Playing such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Flubbernugget
Survivor

Pronoun: He

Post Post #0  (ISO)  » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:27 am

I've been working on a project for the sake of learning express/node.js and I'm wondering if anyone would have interest in it.

The idea is that someone on a local network would be able to broadcast a web server and have people connect to it with a web browser.

For simplicity's sake the first game I'm working on is a cards against humanity knockoff where the players write in their own answers instead of providing ones from cards. Once I work out all the bugs my next step would be to harden the server and make the interface user friendly. Afterwards, I think the next obvious choice would be to have a server that can moderate a mafia game where players can use a laptop/cell phone to draw their cards.

I'm looking for any thoughts or ideas of games that might be fun to play this way, what you would expect a user interface to look like for an idea like this, and any resources may have for secure web development.

I'll post pictures of my work when I am able to.

Errantparabola
Jacket of All Trades

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:23 am

This seems interesting-- would you focus on card games primarily?
Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops. --implosion

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:08 pm

Right now I'm just looking to get a game up and running that my family can play from their cell phones.

In the ideal future, I would want game logic to be hot pluggable into the infrastructure via configuration files (bonus points if the configs can be done with a gui). I may have to relax this idea to a code API. Once I unravel the route spaghetti I seem to have woven myself I'll have a better idea of what is actually approachable.

Panzerjager
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:36 am

I'd use any excuse to play board games.
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=71172
Cooldog was not banned for this post. Antisemitism is ok on Mafiascum.

Get To Know A Panzer

BROseidon
Expert Marxman

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:26 am

Arkham Horror pls

hiplop
T-Bird Won One World

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:16 pm

In post 0, Flubbernugget wrote:I've been working on a project for the sake of learning express/node.js and I'm wondering if anyone would have interest in it.

The idea is that someone on a local network would be able to broadcast a web server and have people connect to it with a web browser.

For simplicity's sake the first game I'm working on is a cards against humanity knockoff where the players write in their own answers instead of providing ones from cards. Once I work out all the bugs my next step would be to harden the server and make the interface user friendly. Afterwards, I think the next obvious choice would be to have a server that can moderate a mafia game where players can use a laptop/cell phone to draw their cards.

I'm looking for any thoughts or ideas of games that might be fun to play this way, what you would expect a user interface to look like for an idea like this, and any resources may have for secure web development.

I'll post pictures of my work when I am able to.
third best scummer of all time

[ + ]

Return to The Arcade