Working on a LAN based Web Server for a CAH clone

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Working on a LAN based Web Server for a CAH clone

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:27 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

I've been working on a project for the sake of learning express/node.js and I'm wondering if anyone would have interest in it.

The idea is that someone on a local network would be able to broadcast a web server and have people connect to it with a web browser.

For simplicity's sake the first game I'm working on is a cards against humanity knockoff where the players write in their own answers instead of providing ones from cards. Once I work out all the bugs my next step would be to harden the server and make the interface user friendly. Afterwards, I think the next obvious choice would be to have a server that can moderate a mafia game where players can use a laptop/cell phone to draw their cards.

I'm looking for any thoughts or ideas of games that might be fun to play this way, what you would expect a user interface to look like for an idea like this, and any resources may have for secure web development.

I'll post pictures of my work when I am able to.

EDIT: There's no way I can handle more than one game with a single code base the way I imagined so I updated the thread title to reflect the current state of this project.
Last edited by Flubbernugget on Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:23 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

This seems interesting-- would you focus on card games primarily?
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:08 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

Right now I'm just looking to get a game up and running that my family can play from their cell phones.

In the ideal future, I would want game logic to be hot pluggable into the infrastructure via configuration files (bonus points if the configs can be done with a gui). I may have to relax this idea to a code API. Once I unravel the route spaghetti I seem to have woven myself I'll have a better idea of what is actually approachable.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:36 pm

Post by PJ. »

I'd use any excuse to play board games.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:26 am

Post by BROseidon »

Arkham Horror pls
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:16 am

Post by hiplop »

In post 0, Flubbernugget wrote:I've been working on a project for the sake of learning express/node.js and I'm wondering if anyone would have interest in it.

The idea is that someone on a local network would be able to broadcast a web server and have people connect to it with a web browser.

For simplicity's sake the first game I'm working on is a cards against humanity knockoff where the players write in their own answers instead of providing ones from cards. Once I work out all the bugs my next step would be to harden the server and make the interface user friendly. Afterwards, I think the next obvious choice would be to have a server that can moderate a mafia game where players can use a laptop/cell phone to draw their cards.

I'm looking for any thoughts or ideas of games that might be fun to play this way, what you would expect a user interface to look like for an idea like this, and any resources may have for secure web development.

I'll post pictures of my work when I am able to.
third best scummer of all time
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:23 pm

Post by Flubbernugget »

How's this for a bump??

Took a lot more man hours than expected and had to wait till I graduated college to put them in but here's some code.

https://github.com/rmbern/cah-clone

Right now the server has to be ran on Linux because it's dependent on docker which only runs on Windows 10 professional. I don't have a license for Win10 pro, and it isn't likely to just be running on someone's personal laptop anyway. You also kinda need to know the basics of git, Linux, and networking to run it.

The game is strictly a CAH variant where the users input their own answers instead of playing cards with answers already filled in. There's about 25-ish questions the game will ask and if you play through them all I'm not sure what happens but hopefully the server just crashes without a lot of drama.

Overall the project is in pretty rough shape but it's better to share now than never!

Oh and it's in flask instead of nodejs like the OP says because fuck javascript.

---

I'm also going to drop a bit of a todo list here for myself because my mind feels up to it:

-> Remove the docker dependency and make the server runnable on windows with a few clicks.
-> Allow the addition and removal of new questions into the server database.
-> Clean up the FUGLY front end web pages.
-> Get rid of all the TODO comments I have littered throughout my code.
-> Add docstrings to all routes/functions.
-> Preserve sessions with cookies so closing a web browser doesn't damage the integrity of the game.
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:58 pm

Post by tn5421 »

ego