Iprobablysuck's Favorite 100 Video Game Music Tracks

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Iprobablysuck
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Goon

Iprobablysuck's Favorite 100 Video Game Music Tracks

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:50 pm

Post by Iprobablysuck »

Video Games are good. Video Game Music is good. Top 100 lists are good. Being a complete loser is also good. Let's throw them all together!

Here's how this works:

Only songs from video games are allowed. Not picky about what, any console, indie or AAA is allowed.

This is not a straight top 100 list, as I have compiled 100 songs and will be posting them randomly, with my thoughts on each one.

This will be, hopefully, daily. (lol)

And don't yell at me, there is a slight bias towards what I am familiar with.

Song 1 will be posted tomorrow!
Last edited by Iprobablysuck on Sat May 11, 2019 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Show
Do I REALLY suck? That's up to you to decide.

Retiring from LSG's and Mish Mash, for the most part. If you want to contact me, I suggest going outside and enjoying what the world has to offer, instead.

Definitely DID suck, in the end...Probably.
Iprobablysuck
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:31 am

Post by Iprobablysuck »

Song Number 1: Battle! Lance/Red (Pokemon Gold, Silver, Crystal)

We begin our romp through the world of VG music with a classic. This song does everything it sets out to do. It's epic, it has an air of finality to it, and it definitely gets you think there's more going on than the old turn based RPG. All very important to the battles it plays in, the Champion, Lance, the final battle with your rival, and of course, Red. The three most important battles in the game. There's not a dull moment in a single one, as this song gets you pumped up even for toxic stalling tactics. This is easily one of the best songs for the GBC.
Oops, spoilers for a 20 year old game!
Show

Retiring from LSG's and Mish Mash, for the most part. If you want to contact me, I suggest going outside and enjoying what the world has to offer, instead.

mallowgeno
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:32 am

Post by mallowgeno »

HYPE
Iprobablysuck
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:04 am

Post by Iprobablysuck »

Song Number 2: Battle Scene (Final Fantasy I, Final Fantasy I & II, Dawn of Souls version)

The good randomizer has given us another RPG song! This is a remix of the original battle theme from Final Fantasy I, and a big improvement on it. This adds a lot of intensity to the very simple gameplay of the first Final Fantasy, and makes the GBA remake a lot more interesting to play than the NES version, imo. This remix does everything a remix should do, improving on the original and improving the remake overall.
Not the best battle theme or song from Final Fantasy, not by a long shot, but far from the only one on our list, either.
Show

Iprobablysuck
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:04 am

Post by Iprobablysuck »

Song Number 3: Escape From The City (Sonic Adventure 2)

At first glance (hearing?), this song seems stupidly cheesy. ''Rolling around at the speed of sound!'' but I find this this absurdly catchy. It's also a perfect song for the first level of a big time Sonic The Hedgehog game, fast paced and free spirited. I've never even played this game and this song wants to be play as a blue hedgehog running around. This is a just a very good hype song.
I sure do hope my reputation isn't ruined for posting Sonic music!
Show

Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:19 pm

Post by Chevre »

YESS YES YESS I LOVE ESCAPE FROM THE CITY

I HAVE IT ON MY WORK PLAYLIST YES YES
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
Iprobablysuck
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:23 am

Post by Iprobablysuck »

Song Number 4: Ground Theme (Super Mario Bros.)

This might as well be the national anthem of video games. It doesn't matter who you are, there's a high chance you can recognize this as the ''Mario Music''. The song itself might not be epic, or heart-wrenching, but it establishes everything the series was going to be. It's this foundation many more great Mario tunes would be built.
Also, the sped up version when time is low is pretty good too.
Show

Iprobablysuck
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:49 am

Post by Iprobablysuck »

Song Number 5: Vampire Killer (Castlevania)

Another classic first level song. This one really captures the classical Halloween, monster movie feel of Castlevania, while still fitting the action going on in the game. The song is also really catchy and ear-wormy, at least in my experience...This is just a really great first level song and really gets you in the mood for Castlevania.
Which is saying something, considering Castlevania is teeth gnashingly hard.
Show

Iprobablysuck
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:50 am

Post by Iprobablysuck »

Song Number 6: Training (Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!)

I swear all this NES is a coincidence of the randomizer. Anyway, this is a nice, intense theme with the feel of giving it your all to get better. It really makes you feel like Little Mac is putting in heavy effort to prepare for the next circuit. Just a perfect song for a boxing game like Punch Out.
Also, the N WORD stole my bike meme from way back in the day was racist as hell.
Show

Iprobablysuck
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:29 am

Post by Iprobablysuck »

Song Number 7: Mach Rider (Super Smash Bros. Melee)

Here's a tad bit of an oddball pick, I suppose. Super Smash Bros. is a celebration of Nintendo games, and that extends to some of their older games as well, like Mach Rider. The problem is, since he (or she depedning on who you ask..) wasn't chosen to fight or have a stage based off of him, how do you pay tribute to the game? The answer: This. Basically, a medley of the sound effects and main music from the game, put together to make a catchy tune that's also much better than the actual music from the game.
Won't be the last we see of Black Box tributes, on this list...
Show

Iprobablysuck
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:35 am

Post by Iprobablysuck »

Song Number 8: In The Final (Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story)

This is some really awesome final battle music. It's got a high-stakes, important battle feel to it, everything a final boss theme oughta be. It's also one of those songs that worms it's way into my head all the time no matter how long it's been since I last heard it. This one feels less like a Mario final boss theme and more like Final Fantasy, which is just really cool in my opinion.
And this is from a game about two plumbers stowing away inside a giant ass turtle dragon. Why the hell not?
Show

Iprobablysuck
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:58 am

Post by Iprobablysuck »

Song Number 9: Godot~The Fragrance Of Dark Colored Coffee (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials And Tribulations)

About time we draw from Capcom's seemingly infinite pocket of great games with great music. This might be the only jazz music ever used in a courtroom simulation game, but it sure as hell is the best. It somehow manages to fit the character's personality, tragedy and acceptance all into this one tune. Also, Godot is so cool he gets this as his theme, that's just awesome.
I don't make jokes about Godot's theme song, that's one of my rules.
Show

Iprobablysuck
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:00 am

Post by Iprobablysuck »

Song Number 10: Guile Stage (Street Fighter 2, various versions)

Two Capcom songs in a row! This song doubles as an awesome fighting theme, you can just imagine people brawling to this song, but it also has a very American, patriotic feel to it, very fitting for the character of Guile. I know it's a bit of a meme, but I really like this one.
Also, Guile's Theme really goes with writing about Guile's Theme, just saying.

HONORABLE MENTION NUMBER 1

Spoiler:
Muda Kingdom (Super Mario Land)

I think this is pretty catchy and fun to listen to, but there's better Mario songs out there that deserve to be on the list more.

Honorable Mentions are gonna be revealed every 10 songs, think of them as the 101-110 of the list.
Show

Iprobablysuck
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:52 am

Post by Iprobablysuck »

Song Number 11: Duck Hunt Medley (Super Smash Bros. Ultimate)

Now this is everything Mach Rider was and 20 times better. It's everything Duck Hunt crammed into one tiny song, that's also fucking awesome to listen to. I particularly like how it begins and ends with the title screen music, like the beginning and end of a game of Duck Hunt. Awesome homage to an awesome game, I really, really love Smash Bros, guys.
Nothing quite like stage morphing Mushroom Kingdom and Duck Hunt and really getting that Mario Bros./Duck Hunt feel.
Show

Iprobablysuck
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:17 am

Post by Iprobablysuck »

Song Number 12: Bowser's Pinball Machine (Mario Party DS)

There might be some nostalgic bias in this one, but I don't care, I do whatever I want!! This is a perfect track for the board it's played in, it sounds like a sinister, evil arcade/carnival. And you're in an evil pinball machine! It's also got a testing your luck/gambling feel to it, which is a huge part of the stage. Underrated board, with good music.
Seriously guys, Mario Party DS isn't bad ;-;
Show

Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:41 am

Post by Chevre »

Ooh that Duck Hunt medley is a BOP
Iprobablysuck
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:48 am

Post by Iprobablysuck »

Song Number 13: Dr. Wily Stage 1 & 2 (Mega Man 2)

WOW GUYS WE GOT SOME BLAZING HOT TAKES COMING AT YOU HERE AT NUMBER 13, but first a word from our sponsors: Have you ever hated something popular? Have you ever screamed OVERRATED at someone who liked something popular? Do you hate putting one foot in at a time when you put on your pants? Well, the Overrated Hater Group is the right group for you! Meet and mingle with people who hate popular things, just like you! Now, back to the countdown. THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME.
Show

Iprobablysuck
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:49 am

Post by Iprobablysuck »

In post 15, Chevre wrote:Ooh that Duck Hunt medley is a BOP
You could say it's one of the ''ultimate'' bop ;)
Show

Iprobablysuck
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:17 am

Post by Iprobablysuck »

Song Number 14: Battle Theme (Final Fantasy VI)

Final Fantasy 6 is the peak of video game storytelling, 2D graphics, RPG battle mechanics, characters, and well, music. This in particular is probably my favorite random encounter battle music in the series (though NOT the last one on the list) it makes even a battle between your level 99 party and some random plant awesome. Amazing battle theme.
Doesn't stop the annoyance of random encounters, though. Glad it's awesome cause it plays a LOT
Show

Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:57 pm

Post by Chevre »

ooohhh the proles pray for some FFIV tunez!
Iprobablysuck
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:20 am

Post by Iprobablysuck »

Song Number 15: Gangplank Galleon (Donkey Kong Country)

This is one of the best final boss songs in any game I've ever played. It has both a piratey-sea shanty feel to it (it takes place on a pirate ship), while still have the epicness of a final battle. It's the perfect song for fighting an overweight crocodile who stole your banana hoard, and yes, this is a goofy game, why do you ask? I just love everything about DKC and this an amazing cap to the game.
Written By...............Iprobablysukk
Show

Iprobablysuck
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:06 am

Post by Iprobablysuck »

Song Number 16: Underwater Theme (Super Mario Bros.)

Not as iconic as the ground theme, but it';s still pretty well known. I like this one mostly because it's catchy, upbeat, and feels really underwatery. There may be better unerwater themes, but we'll get to those. This though, I just think is a solid early attempt at one. Also, it's super fun to swim in-tune with this music.
*gets hit by a blooper and dies*
Show

Iprobablysuck
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:13 am

Post by Iprobablysuck »

Song Number 17: Fight On! (Final Fantasy VII)

Now just hearing this could make anybody envision the...er, good for the time 3D battles of Final Fantasy VII. This, like many Final Fantasy battle themes/boss themes makes every little thing you do bad ass and cool. It's also, out of all the boss themes, the one that seems to weasel into my head the most for some reason. Just a really good boss theme, one of the better ones from the PS era imo.
Just don't listen to Cloud, he's a bit confused on what direction the tail should be....
Show

Iprobablysuck
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:09 am

Post by Iprobablysuck »

Song Number 18: Wicked Child (Castlevania)

This song comes on right when Castelvania really starts turning the heat up, and it shows. It's very fast paced and intense, fitting for all the shit you gotta do to survive. On top of that, it also retains the Halloween, monster movie feel, which does wonders for the atmosphere. It's also way too damn rocking for a random stage in an NES game.
The music in this series almost makes the frustration worth it. Almost.
Show

Iprobablysuck
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:34 am

Post by Iprobablysuck »

Song Number 19: Vega Stage (Street Fighter 2, various versions, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate remix)

Now this, this is a remix. Not only does this improve on the original song (having the same composer, at that! Yoko Shimomura created both this and the SF2 version) it turns it into the most awesome violin ever played by humans. It doubles as both a great fighting song and also has this air of Spanish pride, because well, it's still Vega after all. Awesome remix, one of the best Smash has to offer.
But I swear to God if Vega jumps over me ONE MORE DAMN TIME....
Show

Return to “The Arcade”