Deckbuilding Roguelike Games

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
beeboy
beeboy
Survivor
beeboy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:42 am

Post by beeboy »

In post 18, Dunnstral wrote: https://store.steampowered.com/app/9606 ... From_Eden/

This is very similar in genre but is action based rather than turn based. The game looks fun and is fun, in my experience
This is another game mentioned in this thread I really love.

I'll try and check out some other games and I'll come back here after I get a chance to play them.
ah yes, beeboy style reads;
if this person flips town, then i'll townread them. - Nahdia
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:06 pm

Post by Natirasha »

I have almost 100% completion on Monster Train, game of the year for me by far. Been playing some Nowhere Prophet as well, its kind of the midpoint of this genre with Darkest Dungeon's style.
Current Avatar: Dr. Contessa(OC, art by @pastelpuffin)
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:51 am

Post by brassherald »

New updated to Monster Train today, going to play that sometime after I leave work this evening. Perhaps even tomorrow.
I've only made one good post, and don't you dare accuse me of doing it again.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:53 pm

Post by Nexus »

I got Monster Train. It is v. good. I'm not sure I'm playing optimally or even well, but I have won with the Hellhorned/Awoken and Umbra/Hellhorned combos.
Trans rights are human rights.
Andycyca
Andycyca
Gets To Kill All Spammers
Andycyca

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:42 pm

Post by Andycyca »

In post 25, beeboy wrote:
In post 18, Dunnstral wrote: https://store.steampowered.com/app/9606 ... From_Eden/

This is very similar in genre but is action based rather than turn based. The game looks fun and is fun, in my experience
This is another game mentioned in this thread I really love.

I'll try and check out some other games and I'll come back here after I get a chance to play them.
If you *do* try One Step, learn to look at your cursor (4 spaces ahead) and the 2 spells above your head. Looking at the spells on the lower left corner can seriously distract you from important matters.
Planning: Katamari Damacy Mafia - Less than 50% done!

BTRAF 6 coming to a Mafia Forum near you. Now with 50% less chlorine! Bring your tin foil hat
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:43 pm

Post by GreyICE »

Might have played once or twice.

It has replaced Slay the Spire in what I'm obsessed with because it's so goddamn much fun. It really condenses the Slay the Spire experience, and the 5 random starting cards improves from the garbage of StS' first half of Act 1 (sorry it's almost always extremely similar).

I'm honestly trying to hold off on playing it too often because of upcoming expansion, but still beat a few Cov25s now and then. The balance is pretty tight, minus Incant.

Happily looking around for more, but others I've tried like Neoverse just aren't as interesting.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:56 am

Post by Isis »

I'm trying to clear #24 right now

I like playing full random, it's very "roguelike". I also like trying not to reroll, but a couple of the starting common cards seem frustratingly bad, like the one Mana ascend. This game is actively patched, so am I missing something?
All the core/starting deck cards are fine except the frost6 and discard one. It seems soooo bad. I hate it so much. Cant remember last time I beat the second boss starting with those
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:14 am

Post by brassherald »

I have been playing Rogue Adventure on the phone, good game for a phone game.

Takes a bit of work to get to the good decks, like the assassin, Necromancer, and Paladin, but, it's a free game.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:55 am

Post by GreyICE »

In post 31, Isis wrote:I'm trying to clear #24 right now

I like playing full random, it's very "roguelike". I also like trying not to reroll, but a couple of the starting common cards seem frustratingly bad, like the one Mana ascend. This game is actively patched, so am I missing something?
All the core/starting deck cards are fine except the frost6 and discard one. It seems soooo bad. I hate it so much. Cant remember last time I beat the second boss starting with those
Huh, odd, I'd consider the 1 mana ascend one of the strongest starting cards. It's got truly immense utility. Not only can you do tricks like ascend back line buffers to empty floors to kill them, or ascend tanks to the rear of the floor above to render them meaningless, you can ascend your own troops which lets you break floor limits and build an uber floor. Probably the strongest starting strategy in Monster Train.

Frost 6 card is like Frozen Lance. Your bonus is you're starting in Stygian, those are the penalty for getting to play with Stygian. Although it is better than Frozen Lance, a bit (god I hate Stygian starting cards).
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:17 am

Post by Isis »

It's true that the deal six is almost as bad as the frost six and stygian is strong.

I haven't really tried building uberfloors with ascend, only with descend, maybe I will mess with that more. I've done the other basic uses but those seem roughly cancelled out by how often you draw it and there's just one of those uses on the board.

The card probably works better if my strategies are greedier or less greedy, I'm not sure which.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:27 am

Post by GreyICE »

In post 34, Isis wrote:It's true that the deal six is almost as bad as the frost six and stygian is strong.

I haven't really tried building uberfloors with ascend, only with descend, maybe I will mess with that more. I've done the other basic uses but those seem roughly cancelled out by how often you draw it and there's just one of those uses on the board.

The card probably works better if my strategies are greedier or less greedy, I'm not sure which.
Take less cards! Monster Train is definitely a game of "don't take too many cards." Someone recently did a bunch of Asc 25 runs where they took no cards, and they won most of them. Most card takes are kind of wrong. Extra cards keeps you away from your strongest cards, and in Monster Train those strongest cards have been enhanced by upgrades making them just manifestly better than whatever you're adding. So anything you add shouldn't be similar to a card already in your deck (with a few exceptions). They need to bring something new.

Ascend card is also a great target for holdover or permafrost to make sure you always have it when you want it. Yes, Holdover. Not even joking on that.

Asc 24 means you've basically done everything you need to to master the game, it's just a matter of unlocking different strategies. I'm still finding new ones! There's ALMOST no starting card that I consider completely worthless (Granted Purifying Cleanse does exist)
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:43 am

Post by Isis »

Yeah I take pretty few cards. You'd think the two untrashable curses would skew things more towards taking cards but it doesn't really.

I think a lot of my losses are from not paying attention to how the enemies vary and how to prioritize playing out the match as opposed to the deck building part

I killed my own revenge unit shooting it with fireballs because I wasn't paying attention... Lol
"Well, I..."
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:44 am

Post by vonflare »

Anybody here playing Loop Hero? It’s a pretty interesting take on the genre
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:33 am

Post by Isis »

Monster train expansion has seemed cool so far. I despised StS's expansion faction so the new faction exceed my low expectations, it feels pretty fun.
The new stretch goal system is a little confusing and hard to navigate. How much stronger will my enemies get? In a way that would be kind of tedious to track if I researched and memorized the mechanics, setting aside that I don't know the exact mechanics anyhow like whether going over 100 matters.

It skews the game towards certain strategies, probably. Strategies that could just barely beat seraph were interesting. They probably ehjff against this new megaboss. But, it seems hard to expand a game like this, so this is probably pretty good overall.

The top floor debuff nerf is like more impactful to the core game than all the fancy expansion comment almost, so that's kind of crazy. I don't know if my playstyles is weird but usually I hate a lot of excess mama by lategame or midgame so the top floor debuff is just free
Setting aside how morsels and wicks that attack are stronger with it and it is just a gentler debuff by virtue of being delayed one turn.
"Well, I..."
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:54 am

Post by brassherald »

In post 37, vonflare wrote:Anybody here playing Loop Hero? It’s a pretty interesting take on the genre
I want to get this, but with the wedding coming I'm limiting my purchases of new games.
bugspray
bugspray
They/Them
Mafia Scum
bugspray
They/Them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:27 pm

Post by bugspray »

loop hero is neat, I've been increasingly interested in games where I can sit back and relax mouse only style and right now it fits well.
MY PRONOUNS ARE THEY/THEM

do not assume my posts follow coherency they do not imagine that every time i post i put half of my knowledge into a clone and then the clone murders me

Return to “The Arcade”