factorio

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
bugspray
bugspray
They/Them
Mafia Scum
bugspray
They/Them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: They/Them

factorio

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:11 pm

Post by bugspray »

a game this good warrants its own thread

=] currently living in a nice pile of spaghetti
MY PRONOUNS ARE THEY/THEM

do not assume my posts follow coherency they do not imagine that every time i post i put half of my knowledge into a clone and then the clone murders me
Farren
Farren
He/Him
Best Overall Mish Mash Player
Farren
He/Him
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:58 am

Post by Farren »

Spaghetti is love. Spaghetti is life. Who needs organization when underground belts exist?
Mish-Mash Janitor

Please PM me for any Mish-Mash maintenance needs!
bugspray
bugspray
They/Them
Mafia Scum
bugspray
They/Them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:37 am

Post by bugspray »

help im addicted to main bus

do not assume my posts follow coherency they do not imagine that every time i post i put half of my knowledge into a clone and then the clone murders me
Farren
Farren
He/Him
Farren
He/Him

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:16 pm

Post by Farren »

That sounds suspiciously like organization.
Mish-Mash Janitor

Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:15 pm

Post by Porkens »

this game is pretty good but for me it suffered from the same thing Minecraft suffered from (and its purely personal):

1. me do my best to build things creatively
2. get stuck on one thing
3. go to internet to see what others are doing
4. see the face of god (ie main bus) and realize I've been playing the game wrong, nay THINKING about the game wrong
5. realize it'll take hundreds of hours to get as good as that
6. demoralized-give up
Farren
Farren
He/Him
Farren
He/Him

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:52 am

Post by Farren »

It's all in the objectives you set yourself. Although I'll admit I've been having similar issues of late - overreaching and getting smacked down against a wall of my own ignorance. Plus I get distracted by shiny things easily.

I've been working on a Sea Block factory lately, and that's been taking quite a bit of skull sweat to figure out.
Mish-Mash Janitor

Andycyca
Andycyca
Gets To Kill All Spammers
Andycyca

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:40 pm

Post by Andycyca »

Legit question for people who have played it: how does Factorio comapre with shapez.io? Asking because I "finished" it a few weeks ago and now I'm aching for something similar, everybody seems to recommend Factorio, but I have some doubts
Planning: Katamari Damacy Mafia - Less than 50% done!

BTRAF 6 coming to a Mafia Forum near you. Now with 50% less chlorine! Bring your tin foil hat
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:21 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

i could never get far enough to figure out main bus
green shirt thursdays
Allomancer
Allomancer
Goon
Allomancer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:36 pm

Post by Allomancer »

Please don't mention factorio to me. I had to quit because it's so addictive that I literally couldn't control myself once I started playing.
"Who the fuck counts in Babylonian? I'm impressed sir. So impressed that I'm going to ruin your counting."—
xofelf

"This might be the worst hydra I've seen in all of mafiascum history."—
T-bone

"idk, you don't feel like an easy mislynch"—
Creature
Farren
Farren
He/Him
Farren
He/Him

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:42 am

Post by Farren »

In post 6, Andycyca wrote:Legit question for people who have played it: how does Factorio comapre with shapez.io? Asking because I "finished" it a few weeks ago and now I'm aching for something similar, everybody seems to recommend Factorio, but I have some doubts
I've played both, although I've played Factorio a lot more.

I think of shapez.io as a more ... abstracted version of Factorio, I guess? Like, there's not a lot of difference between bisecting a square and making two copper cables out of a single copper plate, when it comes down to it. Early building blocks continue to be helpful later on in both games, and expanding production of those early building blocks is also helpful in both games. Upgrades are still a thing, although not all of them are automatic in Factorio. You've got a greater degree of choice in terms of how you approach endgame in Factorio - the closest analogy to the Hub in Factorio would be your science labs, and you get to decide what they prioritize working on.

The biters in Factorio definitely provide a challenge that is missing in shapez (at least, I think it is? I haven't beaten shapez, so for all I know you have to fend off angry pentagons later?), but they can be disabled if you don't want to deal with them.

I prefer Factorio, but that could be because I played Factorio first. I definitely grabbed shapez because I saw similarities to Factorio. Plus Factorio has mods, and that opens up a lot of brand new frontiers.

If you're looking for something similar to shapez but with added complexity and theme, I'd definitely recommend Factorio.
Mish-Mash Janitor

Andycyca
Andycyca
Andycyca

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:18 am

Post by Andycyca »

In post 9, Farren wrote:I've played both, although The biters in Factorio definitely provide a challenge that is missing in shapez (at least, I think it is? I haven't beaten shapez, so for all I know you have to fend off angry pentagons later?), but they can be disabled if you don't want to deal with them.
There's no threats in shapez, unless you count self-inflicted head injuries (but that's a given with this kind of games, right? :lol:)

That's precisely why I ask. Someone on Steam left a shapez review as
"Factorio without the stressful critters"
or something like that, and I wonder whether that's really the case. I'm obviously up for a challenge, but not unnecessary stress, given that real life is bad enough as it is. Just how much "extra" challenge does these biters add? Do you need to plan for defense in all your "hubs"?

BTRAF 6 coming to a Mafia Forum near you. Now with 50% less chlorine! Bring your tin foil hat
Farren
Farren
He/Him
Farren
He/Him

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:47 pm

Post by Farren »

Depends on what settings you play with. At the default, you'll definitely want defenses at any base that's on the frontiers. You can clear out the biter bases, but they can and will expand at semi-regular intervals, and infinite space means clearing them out completely is usually impossible. You can minimize the attacks by managing your pollution levels and keeping a safe distance from their nests. Or you can switch over to Rail World, which spreads out resource nodes more - but disables biter expansion, so once you clear an area out, it stays cleared - which means fixed defenses aren't as big a deal.

As far as how much of a headache they are? Their threat is based on a few different factors. The farther you go out from your starting location, the bigger the nests get. Time, pollution, and destroying nests makes the (remaining) nests more dangerous. Pollution specifically is what triggers attacks, so keeping that under control can keep the headache down a bit, but some things just can't be done without smoke-spewing machines.

One of the things you can research is military - better personal weapons and fixed defenses. Fixed defenses will fire automatically at hostiles; most of them require ammo, but automating reloading is possible.

Usually the first wave of biters tends to be small, so even if you've completely neglected defenses it won't be a total disaster as long as you're not too far away.
Mish-Mash Janitor

Andycyca
Andycyca
Andycyca

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:08 am

Post by Andycyca »

I see... the main thing that worries me is inserting RTS-like elements into the game (not that I don't like RTS, but I usually turn to games like shapez to slow down and not worry about immediacy)

Farren
Farren
He/Him
Farren
He/Him

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:24 am

Post by Farren »

Yeah, if there are biters attacking your base, that's a problem that has to be dealt with *now*.

The only other problem that tends to fall into that category is a power outage - and even then, the worst that happens is "Your factory shuts down until it's fixed" rather than "Parts of your factory have been destroyed."

I usually find myself playing on Rail World. I don't mind the biters, but I dislike the nest expansion, as that's what tends to catch me off guard the most. This way, if I'm attacked, it's because I wasn't paying attention to the pollution I was generating - or was blatantly ignoring the minimum acceptable scouting. Immediacy can still be an issue - but in the cases where it is an issue, it's strictly due to my neglect and not due to the game throwing me a curveball.

Or right now, I'm playing a modded version called Sea Block, where the only land is tiny islands - and what I build. Biters can't swim, so the only conflict involves taking out worms (the biters' equivalent to a turret - shoots acid at anything in range, but can't move), rarely.
Mish-Mash Janitor

Andycyca
Andycyca
Andycyca

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:09 am

Post by Andycyca »

In post 13, Farren wrote:The only other problem that tends to fall into that category is a power outage - and even then, the worst that happens is "Your factory shuts down until it's fixed" rather than "Parts of your factory have been destroyed."
Upon reading this, I realize that what irks me is pulling me out of "the zone", rather than the threat of losing progress. Games are supposed to be escapism!

But I digress.

Maybe it's not so bad as I fear---I'll see if it ever has a sale now that it's out of Early Access

bugspray
bugspray
They/Them
Mafia Scum
bugspray
They/Them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:25 am

Post by bugspray »

my motherboard zapped itself and a new one arrives in a few days i can't wait to play more factorio=]

vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:32 pm

Post by vonflare »

factorio is a good game
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:02 pm

Post by vonflare »

In post 14, Andycyca wrote:I'll see if it ever has a sale now that it's out of Early Access
The devs have a disclaimer on their steam page that the game will never go on sale since they believe the price they set is what the game is worth, so you might be waiting quite a while.

However, I personally believe that it's worth it. It's a very fun game.
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
bugspray
bugspray
They/Them
Mafia Scum
bugspray
They/Them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:02 am

Post by bugspray »

factorio is so good

Return to “The Arcade”