Covid-19 in sports games?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Covid-19 in sports games?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:21 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

Will this be a thing? I started thinking about this the other day when watching baseball.

Like you've got your apocalyptic games and such that already deal with epidemics and virus but will we see COVID represented in sports games such as Madden and the like?
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:29 am

Post by Ythan »

I don't think so but I think it's a fun idea so ego.
Andycyca
Andycyca
Gets To Kill All Spammers
Andycyca

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:42 am

Post by Andycyca »

I don't need to look at Steam's new releases to know there's already covid themed games. It is possible some of those fall in the sports category.

If you ask me, I liked the idea of "esports" replacing traditional sports at the beginning of the quarantine (e.g. that "MLB The Show" tournament some actual MLB players did)
Planning: Katamari Damacy Mafia - Less than 50% done!

BTRAF 6 coming to a Mafia Forum near you. Now with 50% less chlorine! Bring your tin foil hat
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:31 am

Post by AGar »

Please no.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:39 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

y not?
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

Andycyca
Andycyca
Andycyca

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:03 pm

Post by Andycyca »

In post 0, Nero Cain wrote:will we see COVID represented in sports games such as Madden and the like?
I've been mulling about this for the past few days.

First of all, the "well, technically..." answer: I don't believe it will ever be represented in any official sports games, Madden or the like. I also don't believe that it would be referred to as COVID, specifically.

But of course that's not the question. And (I'm 99%sure) you don't mean a meme-y game that uses COVID for its own ake.

What kind of sports game could integrate COVID as a true in-game mechanic (other than Blaseball of course)? My guess is that it would have to be some kind of manager-style game (
Out Of The Park
comes to mind). What kind of mechanic would it be?

Any game that would go for including it beyond its meme-y aspect would include either:
  1. The plague's impact at individual level, and/or
  2. The plague's impact at interpersonal/societal level
If you ask me, the 2nd one is a lot more interesting to integrate in a game---mostly because at the individual level it would be essentially indistinguishable from a player sitting out due to regular injuries.

What kind of sports game would integrate that? My guess is still zero or very few. If it's a legitimate game mechanic it is by definition taking away from the sports core of the game (not that the AAA industry is against integrating extraneous bullshit to pad out games)

BTRAF 6 coming to a Mafia Forum near you. Now with 50% less chlorine! Bring your tin foil hat
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:47 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

In one of the NCAA games, they had-like a player would randomly not meet acidemic eligibility and could play that week. Ofc it was panned and dropped but I could see EA/Disney doing something like a player gets COVID and has to sit until cleared or something as simple as just mentioning it by have shots of the sidelines/bench with coaches wearing masks. Do players even have t wear masks b/c I don't think I've seen any wear one in the game.

Andycyca
Andycyca
Andycyca

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:06 am

Post by Andycyca »

In post 6, Nero Cain wrote:I could see EA/Disney doing something like a player gets COVID and has to sit until cleared
You really could see it? Actual question, though. In my opinion, major brands (Disney, sports leagues, etc) would never want to associate anything about them with COVID. In any case, as I said, they could integrate a COVID-like illness/factor to the games, but if I'm correct, it wouldn't be named COVID or be otherwise strongly associated with it. And if it's not named as such and it's not that associated with COVID, it would be practically indistinguishable from other illnesses. But that hinges on my opinion that they don't want to talk about it, ever.

(and yes, MLB players aren't wearing masks on the dugout which is weird to me)

PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:26 pm

Post by PokerFace »

In post 3, AGar wrote:Please no.
I agree. I play video games to escape real life so I don't want covid in my video games
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:19 am

Post by Nexus »

Football Manager 2021 is going to have it in, and whilst their argument is "it's a simulation so we're keeping it as true to real life", I can't be doing with that shit so I probably won't be buying it.
Trans rights are human rights.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:59 am

Post by Faraday »

It's only kind of in, to be fair. Like your players don't actually get it or anything. Just means finances are reduced. Fans are still at games and all. The match engine is fun by the way, seems like actually fairly realistic and players don't seem stupid idiots all the time.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?

Return to “The Arcade”